Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50166 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Kurupt01: 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
@ Op you're so right on point....
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Aksonman: 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
"Over here in abroad."

Used mostly by Nairalanders based in Mushin or Okoko but trying to convince the rest of us that they are typing their comments from a foreign land.

11 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by alienware(m): 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
I'm guilty of none.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
rattlesnake: bosom
womanliness
joystick
precipitate
heavenly feeling
intimacy
bleep
et etc

Pls refer this comment to sexuality before I ban you.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
rattlesnake: bosom
womanliness
joystick
precipitate
heavenly feeling
intimacy
bleep
et etc

Pls refer this comment to sexuality section before I ban you.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by deols(f): 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
some are used to show exaggeration..nothing wrong with that.

Shoulder shrugging is used even in English novels. I am sure I have read that in one or two.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by confusion247(m): 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
I am enjoying this topic.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
Unique individual All individuals are unique. They're individuals.

If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Actually, if you've seen one, you've seen one. If you've seen all, you've seen all.

Young boy Are there old boys?

Frozen ice Please, tell me why it's called ice
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
Kurupt01: @ Op you're so right on point....

This is tautology : either use right or on point.

10 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Kurupt01: @ Op you're so right on point....

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by doofanc: 5:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
@Uyi iredia, u are making absolutely no sense. better learn in silence.

OP, great work

3 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I'm in the mood to f*ck up someone logic today angry

Humans are typically mentally dull. Especially these days. Why do you think the only words usually quick to recall in a song is the chorus ? Repetition, Vivly, repetition.

Some bloke might think you said only 4 and ask whether its in the morning or afternoon.
Here we go

Redundant for emphasis undecided

Some minorities are larger than the others eg African-Americans, Hispanics

. . . so to avoid any possible misunderstanding we use the word 'personal' just to make sure.

Yeah ! Right after folks at MTN stop putting network after the acronym. The N in the brand already stands for network.

Some things are more true than the others eg all women have vaginas, or all women are sluts etc. Hence, the need for a phrase that doubly emphasizes the truth one forwards.

No, some experiences are past. All experiences were present. Many more experiences are possible in the future.

Stop thinking like you are in the 18th century, many adages eg 'Shine your eye', 'In doubt ask Google' etc crop up in recent times.
you should be ashamed of yourself. Your father has thrown so much money in the well educating you.

3 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by 9jascholarship: 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
My teacher den calls it grammatical bomboi
see list of winners of 2013 NLNG Scholarship Award here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.250288948459989.1073741830.143486745806877&type=1
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
deols: some are used to show exaggeration..nothing wrong with that.

Shoulder shrugging is used even in English novels. I am sure I have read that in one or two.

Can you personify (some) in your first sentence?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Bootybuttchic(f): 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
Wuz exprcting 2 see things like
Chyke,newbie,kpekus,hian,peace out,fvck,abuna,gbenshin,etc ...

.all d same so good duh undecided grin
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Samelle(f): 5:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly, while I do agree with some of your observations, I have to add that some phrases are found that way in the English Language and are so for emphasis. Others have remained unchanged because of prolonged usage and have thus been accepted.

4 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
I don't agree with number 1. "Very" is used for emphasis.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 23, 2013
a'chael:
"Rise on your feet"
What do we rise on before, our hands?

Well, we can still rise on our " D "

6 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 23, 2013
Haha u must be a law student
Uyi Iredia: I'm in the mood to f*ck up someone logic today angry

Humans are typically mentally dull. Especially these days. Why do you think the only words usually quick to recall in a song is the chorus ? Repetition, Vivly, repetition.

Some bloke might think you said only 4 and ask whether its in the morning or afternoon.
Here we go

Redundant for emphasis undecided

Some minorities are larger than the others eg African-Americans, Hispanics

. . . so to avoid any possible misunderstanding we use the word 'personal' just to make sure.

Yeah ! Right after folks at MTN stop putting network after the acronym. The N in the brand already stands for network.

Some things are more true than the others eg all women have vaginas, or all women are sluts etc. Hence, the need for a phrase that doubly emphasizes the truth one forwards.

No, some experiences are past. All experiences were present. Many more experiences are possible in the future.

Stop thinking like you are in the 18th century, many adages eg 'Shine your eye', 'In doubt ask Google' etc crop up in recent times.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by horlajide: 5:40pm On Nov 23, 2013
I chant same my fair lady embarassed, howbeit ye doth protest too much undecided
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Decryptor(m): 5:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Bosoms

Tom, Joystick and Harry undecided

Kitty-cat angry

The Culprit: Nairaland Bot

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by abbeyty(m): 5:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Still papa yet
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by chipet67(m): 5:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
The Reason why am saying this is because...
Reason, why and because portray the same view, and they must not be used at once.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
Well.....I'm not ready to change undecided
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by ocheejemb: 5:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Ok. I've noticed a few tautologies commonly used here and I'm gonna post them. Feel free to post those you've noticed too.
First, a grammatical tautology is when you repeat an idea within a particular sentence or phrase, giving the impression you are providing additional information.. For example, she woke up at 4.am in the morning. Am signifies morning, why bother?
Here we go
1.Very beginning. The word very is redundant in the phrase

2.Small minority Politics section, A place is regarded as minority because it's small.

3. Personal belongings. All belongings are personal, unless they've been stolen from a public place

4.PIN number Please don't ask anybody for their pin and still say number. The initial 'n' in the acronym PIN stands for number.

5.Honest truth A truth is either true or it isn't. Unless it's a politician speaking.

6.Past experiences All experiences are past. All those thread starters saying 'please share your past experience', take note.

7.Old adage Please, there's a reason it's called adage and it's because it's old

Most of your so called corrections are misinformed. These are adjectives used to further qualify nouns, or simply commonly used idiomatic or colloquial English expressions.

From the very beginning is a commonly used English expression to show its from the "from the exact point when something starts". So for example, if you say "I started doing it at the beginning of the year", then you could mean anytime in January up till March possibly. However, "I started at the very beginning of the year" suggests that you started on Day 1 of the year.

Small Minority: Again, this may be right usage. If 1 million people make up a minority, is this still a 'small' minority, e.g Africans within the UK or US can be considered a minority. Are they small in size? However, Africans who worship Sango in the UK, or who commit crimes and give everyone else a bad name. These are examples of small minority when compared with the entire population.

Personal belongings: Can multiple people not share ownership of an item, or can an individual not make use of items which don't actually belong to them? I am using a computer which belongs to me (kind of), but I do not own it as it was purchased by my employers, but was given to me to work with. It is my computer, but It's not my personal belonging.

Honest truth: This is an idiom, an expression. Yes the truth should always be honest, but we are humans. e.g "The truth is that I was in class today", "The honest truth is that I was in class today but I wasn't paying attention".

Past experience: Experiences can occur in real time. Past experience suggests a considerable amount of time has passed between you having the experience (it didn't happen yesterday or this morning, or just now).

Old adage: 'Poo happens' is an adage. Is it old?

40 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 5:48pm On Nov 23, 2013
Free gifts Were gifts meant to paid for?
Plan ahead All plans extend into the future. The word ahead is redundant. Lose it!

4 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Ranchhoddas: 5:49pm On Nov 23, 2013
'insufferable know it alls'

reminds me of severus snape...

3 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by homesteady(m): 5:49pm On Nov 23, 2013
Keneking:

grin
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Swiftlee(m): 5:50pm On Nov 23, 2013
Guilty as Charged, though inconsequential grin grin grin
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by jamael(m): 5:50pm On Nov 23, 2013
doofanc: @Uyi iredia, u are making absolutely no sense. better learn in silence.

OP, great work
check or grammar before u post. angry
doofanc: @Uyi iredia, u are making absolutely no sense. better learn in silence.

OP, great work
check or grammar before u post.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by freecocoa(f): 5:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
English language sha.

Vivly don enter wahala today, omo english vast them no dey look am with the kind eye you are using to look at it here.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by DonaldGenes(m): 5:52pm On Nov 23, 2013
Notice this, some Nairalanders perhaps are fond of using this catch phrase especially the yorubas and Igbos during their e-fighting,name-calling and bashing of one another in the political section nine out of ten

''40,killed by Boko Haram attack, and some few army soldiers as well''

Now, can you spot the grammatical gaffe within the context of the above example?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Check Out The Longest Equation Known To Man / Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Checkout How This Student 'Padded' Himself - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.