Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,116 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:14 AM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50061 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 24, 2013
[quote
author=«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™]

God bless you holme! for educating and enlightenin the lame egocentric
ugly warri vulture. Sincerely, my joy knew no bound whn i saw your
rectification. its unambiguous & unequivocal vhat the plug-ugly
obdurate b*tch jus wna impress & form ITK for us wit those
implausibe & ridiculous doggerel she've been plagiarizing frm
Grammer sites & Today fm's ''MindUrGrammer' radio program. may God
bless you 1ce agn in surfeit, for refuting her nonsensical baseless
assertions. [/quote]
wow! I am speechless.grin ;o
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
Why turn this lovely thread into a hateful one? From the tone of the opening post, isnt it clear that the op wasnt moved to open it by the desire to thrash anyone? So, why the insults and attack on her? Please let's learn to engage in educative discussions/arguements, while still maintaining the peace. Thank you.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ezeed: Why turn this lovely thread into a hateful one? From the tone of the opening post, isnt it clear that the op wasnt moved to open it by the desire to thrash anyone? So, why the insults and attack on her? Please let's learn to engage in educative discussions/arguements, while still maintaining the peace. Thank you.
Only attention starved biitches spew insults. I don't give people cheap publicity
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by henrijin: 8:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
Etumgbe: Motor car

But there's motorcycle. Abi now?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by henrijin: 8:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: Unique individual All individuals are unique. They're individuals.

If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Actually, if you've seen one, you've seen one. If you've seen all, you've seen all.

Young boy Are there old boys?

Frozen ice Please, tell me why it's called ice

All these posts na just over Sabi. Abi we no know wetin Dem dey call emphasis again. Although at the end of the day, na still totology. Good for pointing them out though
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iamdsam: 9:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
I always and seldom use some of these grammatical tautologies. I love this thread. It's very educative. I gained a lot.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iamdsam: 9:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
I always and seldom use some of these grammatical tautologies. I love this thread. It's very educative. I learnt a lot.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iamdsam: 9:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
henrijin:

But there's motorcycle. Abi now?
I wonder o!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by koeman(m): 10:05pm On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: 8.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.

9.Safe haven. Literature gurus, Is there such thing as unsafe haven? Havens are by their definitions safe places.

10.First time ever. It's either your first time or it isn't. Decide!

11.General public. This is the most common. All those news being addressed to the general public, unless you're treating certain members of the public as special, all members of the public are general.

12.In one way or another. If it's not true in one way, then it's not freaking true. How can something be true in both ways?

13.Exact same/ exactly the same. The word exact is redundant in this phrase

Vivly, I commend your effort. However I must say that I do not totally agree with you. For instance, "safe haven" is correct. You may wish to consult the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Thanks.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iamdsam: 10:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
doofanc: @Uyi iredia, u are making absolutely no sense. better learn in silence.

OP, great work
Also tell this to those who liked the comment too. He's very correct... my opinion
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iamdsam: 10:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
blink182: you should be ashamed of yourself. Your father has thrown so much money in the well educating you.
Your English is even worse. Must one comment on everything. What shall the son of man gain when he drops a comment on every post Try to keep your grieviances to yourself next time.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by kolamilan(m): 10:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
Booty butt chic: Wuz exprcting 2 see things like
Chyke,newbie,kpekus,hian,peace out,fvck,abuna,gbenshin,etc ...

.all d same so good duh undecided grin
your moniker self na tautology.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by iamdsam: 10:27pm On Nov 24, 2013
@op Vivly(f): I would advice the op to go and do a very deep research on this topic. 98% of these phrases and words used together are correct. They're even used in most dictionaries around the world e.g Cambridge dictionary #Nor.be.your.papa.make.english
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Crixina(f): 10:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

God bless you holme! for educating and enlightenin the lame egocentric ugly warri vulture. Sincerely, my joy knew no bound whn i saw your rectification. its unambiguous & unequivocal vhat the plug-ugly obdurate b*tch jus wna impress & form ITK for us wit those implausibe & ridiculous doggerel she've been plagiarizing frm Grammer sites & Today fm's ''MindUrGrammer' radio program. may God bless you 1ce agn in surfeit, for refuting her nonsensical baseless assertions.
oga this post is somewhat harsh naw,abi you know the Op from somewhr,cos I no sure say na this grammar post na I'm warrant this kind talk
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Gospell(m): 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
more better
more stronger
more bigger
............stronger is stronger,bigger is bigger,better is better,More is REDUNDANT.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by isikco: 11:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
Dannylux: Interesting.. This is exactly why I wanna marry Vivly. smiley
exactly and why is tautology
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Sam32(m): 1:50am On Nov 25, 2013
All dis talk talk na story..English is complex language..
If your tongue no sabi am..jxt switch to pidgincheesy
ko saye fun shit mehn!!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Mcflaxxy: 6:40am On Nov 25, 2013
Hmmm Good
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Abelsconcept(m): 10:10am On Nov 25, 2013
Op nice post. However, I feel you do not specify (as in written or spoken English) your post. If you say that your post is the formal (written English) then you're very much on point, but if you say the latter then you're wrong. Spoken English uses emphasis (your so called tautology) to express words hence making it easy to understand.

English is a vast language that keeps changing. No one is a perfect author of the language.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Abelsconcept(m): 10:29am On Nov 25, 2013
Charlesamino: Stand up
Sit down
Raise up ur hand
Kneel down
Jump up
And yet
Still yet
And still yet etc

1. Raise up your hand: you can raise up your hand, leg or eye hence it is correct it for spoken or written English.

2. And yet: laying emphasis on the what you're about to say. Just like saying - and again, and so hence it is correct.

We make mistakes every now and then, and having said that, we should always thrive to get better everyday. Nice section - Education NL.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by nanizle(m): 11:40am On Nov 25, 2013
Abel's concept:
[/i]

1. Raise up your hand: you can raise up your hand, leg or eye hence it is correct it for spoken or written English.

2. And yet: laying emphasis on the what you're about to say. Just like saying - and again, and so hence it is correct.

We make mistakes every now and then, and having said that, we should always thrive to get better everyday. Nice section - Education NL.

Raise up your hand is a tautology ooo. 'Up' is redundant. Say 'Raise your hand' Abi raise get another direction? cool
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Chelcy(f): 12:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
timbros:

Please can someone translate this?

Why ASUU, why?

#smh
nau i know y pple alwaez quote odaz in Nairaland....which 1 z why ASUU why??ef yu knt read et den yhu wulda told mhie tu stop shortenin ma wordz.....z ds a classroom where i ave tu wryt evwifn Completely.....Y explain myself tu yhu sef??Yhur jhst plain Dumb!!!!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by bily(m): 1:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
Chelcy: nau i know y pple alwaez quote odaz in Nairaland....which 1 z why ASUU why??ef yu knt read et den yhu wulda told mhie tu stop shortenin ma wordz.....z ds a classroom where i ave tu wryt evwifn Completely.....Y explain myself tu yhu sef??Yhur jhst plain Dumb!!!!
are you really sure you're communicating at all?
if one has to spend 1hr trying to decipher your codes, that's serious o.
are you with the secret service or something? ? ?

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Chelcy(f): 6:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
bily:
are you really sure you're communicating at all?
if one has to spend 1hr trying to decipher your codes, that's serious o.
are you with the secret service or something? ? ?
Whaeva yu kall et Dummy
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by dammytex: 7:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
And she started this thread with good intentions oo.

The fact is; most of her listings are correct from the literal rules of English language usage. The truth is; the general usage of some of these words change according to their contextual meanings which makes them completely acceptable except for some nasty ones like "still yet", "3am in the morning", "a very important vital point"...

@Op
shey you don't know this is nairaland ni? The joy here is attacking one another on a thread like this. Things like this bring us to NL often.
For everybody that has offended you, we say sorry. We only want you to know that nobody "holy pass" for English grammar including the queen.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Timijo(m): 7:36pm On Nov 25, 2013
Vivly: Ok. I've noticed a few tautologies commonly used here and I'm gonna post them. Feel free to post those you've noticed too.
First, a grammatical tautology is when you repeat an idea within a particular sentence or phrase, giving the impression you are providing additional information.. For example, she woke up at 4.am in the morning. Am signifies morning, why bother?
Here we go
1.Very beginning. The word very is redundant in the phrase

2.Small minority Politics section, A place is regarded as minority because it's small.

3. Personal belongings. All belongings are personal, unless they've been stolen from a public place

4.PIN number Please don't ask anybody for their pin and still say number. The initial 'n' in the acronym PIN stands for number.

5.Honest truth A truth is either true or it isn't. Unless it's a politician speaking.

Past experiences All experiences are past. All those thread starters saying 'please share your past experience', take note.
Not all experiences are past, e.g. John was attacked by armed robbers last week. This is a past experience.
John is going through a terrible time. This is still happening to him, so it is a present experience.

Old adage Please, there's a reason it's called adage and it's because it's old
The example below is curled from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary (CALD):He remembered the old adage 'Look before you leap'.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by awesomeness(f): 4:23pm On Nov 27, 2013
Guest101~:

Get some facts right ma'am.

'Yours' in the real contextual meaning is not subjectively possessive.

You 'buy' it, then It become 'yours'.

Learning though.
You are right. Absolutely!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by awesomeness(f): 4:32pm On Nov 27, 2013
tinoblinx:

Remember u can also sit up,
Correct! And. U can also bend side-ways
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by timbros(m): 5:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Chelcy: nau i know y pple alwaez quote odaz in Nairaland....which 1 z why ASUU why??ef yu knt read et den yhu wulda told mhie tu stop shortenin ma wordz.....z ds a classroom where i ave tu wryt evwifn Completely.....Y explain myself tu yhu sef??Yhur jhst plain Dumb!!!!

See how you're disgracing yourself. You claim you're shortening words but go through your post again:

Alwaez: always
ef: if
yhu: you
tu: to
mhie: me
wordz: words
yhur: your
jhst: just

Count the letters again and tell me how many you "gained"..

Keep deceiving yourself.

SMH

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
Vivly: 8.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.
Abeg to differ. Live recording means a recording being done/done on stage to stage Audience. There can be another type of recording....eg Studio recording.

Vivly: 8.In my opinion, This is only used by the insufferable know it all's
I don't get this one ooo

I think I agree with others. Nice thread! smiley smiley smiley smiley....Nothing to add.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 12:35am On Dec 01, 2013
speedyboi:
Abeg to differ. Live recording means a recording being done/done on stage to stage Audience. There can be another type of recording....eg Studio recording.

I don't get this one ooo

I think I agree with others. Nice thread! smiley smiley smiley smiley....Nothing to add.
Go sleep joor. wink smiley No be me write dictionary. grin
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by DonaldGenes(m): 11:17pm On Dec 03, 2013
Lmao! some Nairalanders will never take austere correction, they keep arguing,anyway, Vivly, you did a good fantastic job, school 'em jor

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Esther Adaobi Azom Gets Car From Ooni Of Ife As Best Graduating Medical Student / Niger Delta University 2012/2013 Admission List Continues! / Chimezie Ebiriekwe Wins San Diego State University Students' Election (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.