Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50168 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Reference(m): 6:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ha,ha. Nice one girl. Quite true but believe me it is perfectly acceptable to, as it were, stress the syllable because frankly we live in a 'stressed' society and in 'stressed' times where extremities are required just to get by.

Liken it to a man living in the tropics who buys a fan or airconditioner. Do you realistically expect the switch to ever be set low. Or a refrigerator with our power problems. The environments says a lot.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: know it all's

It's 'know-it-alls'. All's=all is. Therefore, know it all is?!

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nicepoker(m): 6:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
Should incase
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by etim20(m): 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
Extreme end-used mostly by ladies
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by DonaldGenes(m): 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
eddiebruk:

Well, you should check yours as well, it is "your" not " or".

lmaoOOOOO! Amnesty granted
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by tony9k: 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
Please kindly
So therefore

In the Uk there are other phrases said which I don't understand

- there is two ways available . .
- I done it
- Me and Smith are going there . .
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by freecocoa(f): 6:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
Nicepoker: Should incase
You just reminded me of a song.

"Should incase you geti hangover
Ayam sorry
Aka'm adighi ya" grin
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 6:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
Yahoo1: now here is a guy that paid attention to Literature! Vivly take note.
In as much as some of the facts are incorrect, they are still tautologies. A deeper view, breakdown of the concepts will show this. Most of those facts are accepted as spoken english, maybe due to constant usage but it doesn't change the fact that it's a tautology
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Andrew3(m): 6:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
Pick 'your call', The call is already your's otherwise It won't come to you in the first place. angry angry angry
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
Op, nice thread. Dont mind me though, i feel like looking for small trouble this evening, so pls grant me your audience.lol. Okay, regarding your title- 'common grammatical tautologies', the word 'tautology' already has the word 'grammatical' embedded in it. By reason of the aforementioned, your use of both the way you did is tautologous. Lol.
On a serious note though, what you guys think, cos i stand to be corrected, and I feel like engaging in an educative discuss right now.

5 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
@op,nice thread.Am guilty of a whole lot...

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Andrew3(m): 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
How about a statement like: The time is 3.o clock. Shouldn't we rather say 'It's 3.o clock'?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by freecocoa(f): 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: In as much as some of the facts are incorrect, they are still tautologies. A deeper view, breakdown of the concepts will show this. Most of those facts are accepted as spoken english, maybe due to constant usage but it doesn't change the fact that it's a tautology
Thing is, is that you made it sound like bad grammar or wrong usage whereas some are not.

Context matter a lot in english language my dear.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Businesstools(m): 6:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
It's also common these days, not only on Nairaland to use loose in place of lose, here in place of hear, there in place of their, to mention but a few.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 6:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
freecocoa: Thing is, is that you made it sound like bad grammar or wrong usage whereas some are not.

Context matter a lot in english language my dear.
Well, some are used wrongly. Example is Buy your recharge card here. How can you buy what's yours

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by freecocoa(f): 6:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
::Andrew:::
How about statements like: The time is 3.o clock. Shouldn't we rather say 'It's 3.o clock'?
What is 3 o clock?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by DonaldGenes(m): 6:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
#My shout out goes to the NLanders ladies who seemed to laugh at other fellow Nlanders gbagaun but in their WAEC or NECO Certificate had a 'D' Ha-Ha!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by ignis: 6:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Fhemmmy: Nice one, and i do use this one too . . . GTB Banks
Who ask you?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mcstan18(m): 6:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I'm in the mood to f*ck up someone logic today angry

Humans are typically mentally dull. Especially these days. Why do you think the only words usually quick to recall in a song is the chorus ? Repetition, Vivly, repetition.

Some bloke might think you said only 4 and ask whether its in the morning or afternoon.
Here we go

Redundant for emphasis undecided

Some minorities are larger than the others eg African-Americans, Hispanics

. . . so to avoid any possible misunderstanding we use the word 'personal' just to make sure.

Yeah ! Right after folks at MTN stop putting network after the acronym. The N in the brand already stands for network.

Some things are more true than the others eg all women have vaginas, or all women are sluts etc. Hence, the need for a phrase that doubly emphasizes the truth one forwards.

No, some experiences are past. All experiences were present. Many more experiences are possible in the future.

Stop thinking like you are in the 18th century, many adages eg 'Shine your eye', 'In doubt ask Google' etc crop up in recent times.

I'm sure you're trying to play a prank here. All you've said here makes little or no sense

3 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Andrew3(m): 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2013
freecocoa: What is 3 o clock?

Common madam don't be that like that, am driving and typing. angry angry
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mrrock: 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2013
Good job!.
The one I have issues with is "original copy" there may be others but it's minor. Copy and original copy is not the same thing. Example; Can I buy a copy of the Nigerian constitution?. YES.
Can I buy the original copy of the Nigerian constitution?. NO.

Did you bring a copy of your birth certificate?. YES, I have it.
Did you bring the original copy of your birth certificate?. NO, it's at home.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by abdulslutsky(m): 6:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
The boy ran for HIS DEAR life...(Wrong)

The boy ran for DEAR life...(Correct)
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by DonaldGenes(m): 6:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Well, some are use wrongly. Example is Buy your recharge card here. How can you buy what's yours

That is very rife my dear, Left to me, Nigerians are used to it so far it's understood within that context
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Sodiq3(m): 6:48pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: 8.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.

9.Safe haven. Literature gurus, Is there such thing as unsafe haven? Havens are by their definitions safe places.

10.First time ever. It's either your first time or it isn't. Decide!

11.General public. This is the most common. All those news being addressed to the general public, unless you're treating certain members of the public as special, all members of the public are general.

12.In one way or another. If it's not true in one way, then it's not freaking true. How can something be true in both ways?

13.Exact same/ exactly the same. The word exact is redundant in this phrase
k.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Sodiq3(m): 6:49pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Ok. I've noticed a few tautologies commonly used here and I'm gonna post them. Feel free to post those you've noticed too.
First, a grammatical tautology is when you repeat an idea within a particular sentence or phrase, giving the impression you are providing additional information.. For example, she woke up at 4.am in the morning. Am signifies morning, why bother?
Here we go
1.Very beginning. The word very is redundant in the phrase

2.Small minority Politics section, A place is regarded as minority because it's small.

3. Personal belongings. All belongings are personal, unless they've been stolen from a public place

4.PIN number Please don't ask anybody for their pin and still say number. The initial 'n' in the acronym PIN stands for number.

5.Honest truth A truth is either true or it isn't. Unless it's a politician speaking.

6.Past experiences All experiences are past. All those thread starters saying 'please share your past experience', take note.

7.Old adage Please, there's a reason it's called adage and it's because it's old
k
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 6:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
Samelle: Vivly, while I do agree with some of your observations, I have to add that some phrases are found that way in the English Language and are so for emphasis. Others have remained unchanged because of prolonged usage and have thus been accepted.
Prolonged usage of wrong tautology doesn't make it right. How can someone say or else? 'Shut up or else I'll beat you'. It's either it's 'or' or 'else'
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by LadyH(f): 6:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
I dnt agree with every though. One can't get it all right anyways... We learn everydaaaaay.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by AZeD1(m): 6:55pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: In as much as some of the facts are incorrect, they are still tautologies. A deeper view, breakdown of the concepts will show this. Most of those facts are accepted as spoken english, maybe due to constant usage but it doesn't change the fact that it's a tautology
I disagree with the bold part. Lets take the case of small minority.
The dictionary meaning of small is
1) Being below the average in size or magnitude.
2) Limited in importance or significance; trivial

The dictionary meaning of minority is
a)The smaller in number of two groups forming a whole.
b) A group or party having fewer than a controlling number of votes.

Having looked at the meaning of both words, we should be able to conclude that a group of people can be in the minority camp but they are not limited in importance or significance.
To buttress the point above, i'll use the presidential election as an example. GEJ cannot win the election in a two party system with a 51% of the valid vote count. In that case, those who voted for the opposition are a minority but they are in no way small because their number even though is less than those who voted for GEJ is significant to force a re run of the election.

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mustaphagreens(m): 6:55pm On Nov 23, 2013
a'chael:
"Rise on your feet"
What do we rise on before, our hands?
ogbeni, there's nothing wrong with that one, i cud remembr an event at uniport in 1993 where a lecturer asked a male student to RISE, to our surprise d seam at his zipper began to bulge in response, maybe little John thomas was 1st to get d instruction who knws grin grin grin ?? So any form of command that hs 2 do with 'rise' must be made specific, either rise on ur feet, rise o' john thomas or rise on ur head. Did i make any point??

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Mubby4luv(m): 6:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
::Andrew:::

Common madam don't be that like that, am driving and typing. angry angry
Later wen u kill someone u will plead tht it's an act ov god. Its because of ppl lyk u am over careful on da road angry
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mustaphagreens(m): 6:59pm On Nov 23, 2013
lynpetra: @op,nice thread.Am guilty of a whole lot...
lyneptra, not again!! grin grin grin
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by ludot(m): 7:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Prolonged usage of wrong tautology doesn't make it right. How can someone say or else? 'Shut up or else I'll beat you'. It's either it's 'or' or 'else'

Prolonged usage of WRONG TAUTOLOGY ....*cough*cough*

Is there RIGHT TAUTOLOGY?

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Check Out The Longest Equation Known To Man / Checkout How This Student 'Padded' Himself - Photo / Police Brutalize Prof. Sunday Edeko Of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.