Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For (2182 Views)

I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? / Acer Laptop. What Do You Think? / I Need A Laptop! - What Make And Brand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by amor4ce(m): 5:15am On Jul 21, 2008
i just got me a laptop. this was after months of research to know which would be the best slam for buck, and i got the latest macbook. i  started working not too long ago and for a bank and i noticed something.its like when it comes to acquiring such gizmos some Nigerians, or at least those i've observed behave like "money miss road." some of by colleagues who bought theirs av been disatisfied with their toys.

just because a particular brand is popular some people seem to swallow hook, line and sinker, the thought that it is d best. its lik we dont bother to look at and compare technical specifications. just take a look at this thread:https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-152657.0.html; i 'm of the opiniothat one doesn't have to be an IT genius to get the right facts.

its high time some of us who know or have an idea of what to look out for attempt to eradicate ignorance in this regard. As for me i consider the:
*battery life
*speed
*probability of the "blue screen of death" coming up
*memory (RAM)
*vulnerability to viruses
*portability    (i carry mine in a folder like i'm going for an interview or carrying docs)
*durability (i wanted one that could last for 4 yrs without headaches)
*and well, i wanted to stand out

what about you?

maybe we can use this thread to share our experiences, that of computer rage included, and i hope this topic appears on the home page as i consider it important. spending over N100,000 aint funny
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by semid4lyfe(m): 8:45pm On Jul 22, 2008
Amor4ce,it seems we have something in common.I just bought a laptop too,specifically on Saturay.I even posted a thread on it titled MY LAPTOP BUYING EXPERIENCE.I believe a prospective buyer should look out 4 the specs which I listed 4 my laptop in my thread.I 4 post the link but I'm almost running out of cybertime.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by amor4ce(m): 8:55pm On Jul 22, 2008
@semid4lyfe,
i've been following ur post, "my laptop buying experience." its quite interesting.the common complaint is that of battery life. my macbook battery draintime when playing dvd is 4.5 hrs.if i'm just designing websites with iWeb it lasts for over 6hrs.the charger is magnetic and fits easily into my pocket
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by semid4lyfe(m): 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2008
Shoo!Amore4ce,na even the link 2 my thread u post.I spent mnths b4 deciding on those specs.Infact,my prdct of 1st choice was sony vaio but most of the sony vaio's fell shorts of my specs 1 way anoda.I must confess that lappy cost me a 4tune.I forgot 2 mention that it came with a carrier case in d form of a folder which I don't like because u still have 2 put the folder in a bag if u're the type with a legedes benz.I
also forgot 2 mention its a special edition which comes in a unique colour and the keyboard outlay and design is just beautiful and unique.The only snag is the 60 days expiry 4 ms office 4 all pc's running vista.But I guess since 'urs is a dfrn't OS u won't be having that prob.1 more thing amore4ce, r'sch will not tell u every.I spent time and money browsing and asking the so called IT guru's I knew about tech specs but non of dem said VISTA OS COMES WITH A 60 DAYS TRIAL VERSION OF MS OFFICE 2008.Do u get my point.That's not a prob cos I can easily install MS office 2007 after the 60 days.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by amor4ce(m): 9:58pm On Jul 22, 2008
@semid4lyfe ,
dont mind me, i put the link there for fun/mischief. well na legedez benz i get and i stay in bariga.didnt buy a carrier case 4 mine but the folder i used when attending interviews is a nice camoflage.i even want to put some foam  there for padding.cost me N270,000.i almost got your laptop but TD in lagos did not have it then despite their ising so. so i decided to take the risk.so far the macbook has got rave reviews at my place of work.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by semid4lyfe(m): 10:42pm On Jul 22, 2008
Amor4ce,u stay in Bariga?that 1 mean say if I throw stone 4rm my place,e fit knack u 4 head, so be careful with the mischief.Guy,u mean your apple macbook cost u 270k?and I was thinking my lappy was expensive.4 that price,the specs must be WOW and OUT OF THIS WORLD.Abeg,wetin e carry wey make am cost so much?That price 4 buy u 2 laptops with some nice specs.Abeg,wetin be the specs.post am make we see.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by amor4ce(m): 11:19pm On Jul 22, 2008
check out
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-2008-edition/4505-3121_7-32868781.html?tag=prod.txt.1 and
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-2008-edition/4507-3121_7-32868781.html

Its the black model i got

Specifications:
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Superdrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
Apple mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
iWork '08 preinstalled
Apple USB Modem
Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student Edition

the cost of shipping including tax and insurance was almost $450. drained my pocket but i wanted a machine that would last for yrs.it is worth the cost.one thing though, apple products are known for being on the high side in terms of cost but the company is reputed for introducing innovations to computing.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by femzy(m): 1:25am On Jul 23, 2008
semid4lyfe:

Guy,u mean your apple macbook cost u 270k?and I was thinking my lappy was expensive.4 that price,the specs must be WOW and OUT OF THIS WORLD.Abeg,wetin e carry wey make am cost so much?That price 4 buy you to laptops with some nice specs.Abeg,wetin be the specs.post am make we see.

Yes Apple and Lenovo notebooks cost much.That shouldn't be news anymore now.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by semid4lyfe(m): 5:55am On Jul 23, 2008
So,na even 4rm overs u buy am direct.No wonder it cost so much.I was wondering where u bought it because tear rubber apple mackbook laptops are not common in naija.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by ramonmulti(m): 11:29am On Jul 23, 2008
Call me at 08033924627, Anayo. Victor
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by amor4ce(m): 8:01pm On Jul 23, 2008
@semid4lyfe

the 2008 edition of the macbook (black) was not at The Orchard, an Apple reseller, when i made my decision to buy. they are located at the lagos civic centre.there is another reseller at opebi rd by the name of Cashin.i tried pc outlet by phone but they didnt pick my calls.it would have cost around 200k but i got it thru a friend who sent it via UPS.it is probably abt 270k at the orchard.
as 4 dat stone, my street is not on maps except when it comes to internal revenue generation (local&state govt and PHCN) so u wuld be confused as to d direction of ur aim.my home is near a canal that seperates bariga from shomolu.how abt u?
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by PMoney3: 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2008
HELLO IF YOU REALLY WANT TO BUY A GOOD AND LASTING LAPTOP WE HAVE TO SELL,
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS SPECIFY THE KIND OF LAPTOP YOU NEED AND HOW WE CAN TRANSPORT IT TO YOU OR PICK IT UP FROM OUR WAREHOUSE, CONTACT US HERE IF YOU NEED IT.
PETER MICHAEL
LOCATION IBADAN
TEL-07032554655
EMAIL- MARIOGENTLE2009@YAHOO.COM
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by semid4lyfe(m): 12:44pm On Jul 26, 2008
Amor4ce,sorry I've been incommunicado 4 sometime.I've been 2 busy 2 do the online thingy.Don't have much 2 say except 2 wish u happy enjoyment with your PC.u suppose wash am 4 boys o.One more thing as u don tell me say u dey live near d canal wey seperate bariga & shomolu,I don sabi ur place be dat.So if I can't take direct aim with a stone,I can easily bomb your area to blazes with my target area specific scud missiles(TASSM).So,still be careful cos u ain't safe.
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by ayobase(m): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2008
what a thread!!!
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 15, 2008
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by Mustay(m): 12:20pm On Aug 15, 2008
meetnoedig:

i need your advice. e-mail= meetnoedig@yahoo.com

what is the essence of this thread?
Re: I Want To Buy A Laptop; What Do I Look Out For by Ivvie: 8:59pm On Aug 21, 2008
`

(1) (Reply)

Microsoft Office 2013 Now Available For Download / Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key Free Download [latest Working] / Sleek UK Used Asus F402B Available - 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 7th Gen *sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.