Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria (22022 Views)

The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria- Who Is To Blame? / We Merged Osun Schools To Improve Standard Of Education - Speaker / The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by corruptst(m): 10:44am On Nov 23, 2013
The deplorable state of Education in Nigeria calls for serious concern among the government and the stakeholders (parents, teachers, students and employers of labour). Going down the memory lane is essential for us to know where we are coming from, where we are today and where we are heading to. Gone are those days when just having 5 credits in your O' level (Maths and English included) gave the alluring impression of an above average student, and having 8 distinctions and 1 credit were results reserved for the genuis (exceptionally brilliant ones). Even as the best graduating student and best English Language student in the government owned secondary school I attended, I could still remember looking into my O' level result and wondering how I got a C6 in English. Tough luck, I must confess. That's how education was then. I do not claim to have enjoyed the best that Nigeria education offered in its prime but looking back, I think it's far better than what suffice now.

What do we have now? Any Tom, Dick and Harry flash O'level results for all to see with outright incredible grades yet they could hardly say/write a complete sentence in English. Same applies to other subjects, or how else can someone who had B3 in Mathematics have problems with solving factorization. If you are one of those saying, "It's not everyone that's good in Maths", then count yourself among those I am pointing accusing fingers at.

During my preclinical years in the university, I once tried organizing WAEC and JAMB preparatory tutorials for students in my area but got the surprise of my life when one of the chaps asked me about the arrangements I have made for "Special Centres". Not that I'm hearing that for the 1st time but coming from a boy that had not even attempted any of such exams and the level of details he gave was so disheartening. All efforts to prove that the tutorials will be enough proved abortive. JAMB exams are not left spared as well, even with numerous strategies devised to curtail exam malpractices, it's still the same old story. A handbill for a tutorial class was like, "Embarrass UTME by scoring above 280". I jus smiled and walked away thinking about "our time". Was it that JAMB exams have gotten simpler or this same students have become more brilliant than we were? These were questions begging for answers but I guess we all know now.

To be continued...

15 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Fynestboi: 10:47am On Nov 23, 2013
Whao i love this what else can we say when malpractise is now as easy as chewing gum...
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by corruptst(m): 11:46am On Nov 23, 2013
My admission to the university was a bit delayed, maybe 5 yrs late in a bid to secure "Medicine" on 'merit'. Imagine what could happen in 5 yrs. So, I entered with a new 'breed'/generation of students, who were so proud to flash their results during registration. I was forced to cover mine with a blank A4 paper with the feeling that I'm the dunce among them. Fortunately, I had an edge over them in the exams (5 yrs for house na joke?) and most of them were forced to come to me for tutorials (which automatically translates to free food for me)'Winks'

The 'so called' lecturers are not left out as some will have to dictate a whole textbook written by another author/colleague/HOD as lecture notes and you begin to wonder if that person himself studied that area in the university. If becoming a lecturer is all about reading out notes to us, then all of us can equally fit in that position. Another sad aspect of university education is having to write down answers to questions in the lecturer's own words. That's how to pass well. It was a game of 'Survival of the Crammers'. This kills creativity as well as the area of consulting textbooks to understand the course better. For the project writers, it's a game of 'Edit, Copy & Paste'. Plagiarism has become the order of the day.

Also, the private universities are not left out. After all, is it not the same lecturers that exuberate dominance in govt owned institutions that humbly teach in this private schools. I stand to be corrected on this. A lecturer that don't know how to browse the internet or create a PowerPoint presentation and yet they will still embark on strike asking for more pay.

To be continued...

11 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by renaissance(m): 12:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Fynestboi: Whao i love this what else can we say when malpractise is now as easy as chewing gum...
d most effective & reliable way of curbing exam malpractice is 2 conduct exam(be it WAEC,GCE,NECO JAMB or PUME) on a CBT basis.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by renaissance(m): 12:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
i luv dis thread.majority of stdns r not going 2 sch 4 d sake of research or other strenuos activities dat it (sch) entails;bt 4 d glory dey will bask in upon d receipt of their degre cer. upon their gradtn, all wat dey knew wil go in2 oblivion

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by corruptst(m): 12:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
I could remember vividly few years back when Etisalat stated emphatically that they needed applicants for their Graduate Trainee Programme irrespective of the course of study. I learnt from a reliable source that they employed all 1st class and virtually all 2nd class upper candidates that applied. If you have been a member of Association of Unemployed Graduates since then, you don't need to explain, we understand your situation.

Nairalanders are not even left out of this decadence. Yoi see a topic on front page and when you quickly take a peep into it, it's a different story entirely. If you can't present a suitable title for your post, how then can you write a business proposal, application letter, letter of invitation, letter of reference, etc. I shake my head. The use of English on nairaland is no poor that we may have to beg the administrators to include a grammar check software to save us from persistent 'gunshot'. 'Bastardization' of the use of tenses, word structure, concord, and what have we, all exist. I always have my fun moments though. Association of Unemployed Graduates. Lol! You need to see the written English of some posters (not all) in this section. Practically, unemployable English. No offence intended.

You also start wondering what planet most posters come from. From the 'End time things' posters whose only sensible thing to say is thus. Imagine being in an interview and they ask you to comment on an issue and all you have to say is "End Time Things". My brother, your employment letter is reserved for you in Heaven. The '1st to comment' people kinda make me wonder of our educational system is breeding intellectuals or clowns. Rather, I should ask my 'able moderators' if there is a prize attached to making such annoying proclamation. And for those who think using the pen for tribal bashing is fun, my guesses are that you either didn't pass through a higher institution or the higher institution you claim to attend didn't pass through you. I am not sorry to say this.

As a way of concluding this piece, reality shows, musicals and sports are fast replacing educational programmes on screen. A below average student can authoritatively tell you how many goals Messi scored in his career, how much Mikel Obi currently earns, who won the champions' league in 2002 including the top goal scorer then, the winners of MTN project fame from inception till date, where Davido is this afternoon and what he ate this morning, etc. Why can't they channel this energy and obsessive information seeking into their education and/research and let's see how things will go from there. These are the same set of people that cannot tell you the first president Nigeria had or tell you the second line in the National Anthem yet d unreleased remixed version of Skelewu is in this their skull.

All stakeholders and the government must wake up to their responsibilities. What the future holds for our educational sector and our youth, all I can say is, "Time will definitely tell".

I hope this post makes front page.

67 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by LMAyedun(m): 1:05pm On Nov 24, 2013
SMH!!!

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by OuchDaddy(m): 1:09pm On Nov 24, 2013
Space-BOOKED!!!! First of all...... Happy Sunday y'all..... Will re-modify again later.....
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by dridowu: 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
I remember when i gain admission then, i saw lot of WAEC/NECO/JAMB SCORES that are superb but immediately after finishing 1st year, the school was able to seperate the real men from boiz, and today to God the glory.
Hmmmmm, standard of education are fallen in Nigeria cos of so many factors
(1) social activites , imagine a student that cannot define a " Noun " but has about 3pages of exercise books of 2go friends and can name 90% of them without looking the books, etc
(2) parent, some of our parent have a fault, by not forcing their children/ward to do what is right, i remeber a neigbhour that fails to buy books for his child after 2months holiday and later he was saying that he does not know that the school has resume.
(3) Govt policy: that fails to yield positive result
(4) School Mgt and Teachers
(5) student itself that fails to utilize the little resoures that are available.

2 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
The education level is a deplorable situation now. It has turned to if you can't beat them,you join them. Imagine a parent walking up to you to assist their ward for examination,and if you didn't cooperate,there are thousands that would do it willingly.

What do we have now,half baked graduates,not even helped by so daft lecturers who specializes in textbook reading,with little or no effort to explain.

At the secondary level,its either you assist your students,or you will see your student dumping your school,to where miracles are happening. Most school aren't after teaching per say,but the money they get through giving assistance to students during exams.
Imagine a secondary school,employing an SSCE holder to teach student in SS class,what knowledge can he impact,if not for garbage..

I believe the major cause is unemployment,where people do thing to survive,and later turn it as a form of lucrative job.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by EreluY(f): 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2013
You're complaining about students looking for "special centers". What about their lecturers many of whom are engaged in ghost publishing, plagiarism and several other publishing scams -- including publishing in predatory journals? Your concern definitely resonates with mine raised very recently. See below.

Erelu_Y: The depth to which education standards in Nigeria has sunk is, arguably, quite alarming. I work in the City (London), where some time last year, my colleagues and I decided to carry out a research which compares financial regulations in UK and Nigeria. To facilitate this study, we needed journal papers addressing financial regulations in both countries (Nigeria and the UK). So, we searched databases, and realised that there was a vast amount of published materials from both countries which could be used for the literature review. In the case of Nigeria, many of these were written by lecturers, associate professors, and professors in the so-called “TOP NIGERIAN” universities: UNILAG, UNN, UNIBEN, ILORIN, etc.

To our consternation, however, over 95% of the papers published by Nigerian academics were of an extremely low standard both in terms of contents and grammar. In fact, we (5 of us on the team) all felt that if these published papers were to be graded as undergraduate coursework submissions in a typical UK university, none would score Grade A (70–100%). One of us further mooted that we clandestinely submit the best of these papers (especially those locally published in Nigeria) to top journals in Europe and North America for blind peer review. We did! Out of 25 papers (sent to 25 different academic journals in Europe, USA and Canada), 22 did not go through the initial editorial reading. For those in the know, this implies that the respective journal editors considered the papers absolute waste of precious times to send them for academic peer reviews. That is to say these 22 papers were deemed NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE! The remaining three papers went through peer review. Each was reviewed by three anonymous reviewers; each reviewer REJECTED each of the three reviewed papers. In other words, these journal articles were not of international standards and could never find their ways into prestigious journals published by Routledge’s Taylor & Francis, Elsevier, Sage, etc.

Now, these are the type of ‘papers’ which form the basis of academic staff appointments and promotions in Nigerian universities. It also, largely, forms the basis upon which undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships (i.e. citations) are based. In one case, an author (based at UNILAG) published 15 journal articles in one single year (2011). I do not know of any professor at Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial, etc, who is capable of publishing 10 peer review academic articles in one single year—search Google to prove me wrong (I know this as MBA and PhD holder from one of these ivory towers)! This reckless and fraudulent faux pass is, however, possible in Nigerian universities. Don’t get me wrong, there are a few scholars of international repute in Nigeria whose works have been published in top notch academic journals. Many of these (who can only publish modestly) must be struggling (one can only imagine) to survive amidst the majority who publish sham articles in bogus journals.

Most concerning for the team is the standard of education which undergraduate and postgraduate students studying under these cheats—who shouldn't be anywhere near pedagogy and research in Nigeria’s ivory towers—are receiving. Most disheartening is the impact these fraud authors are making on future generations of Nigerians. Two biggest questions which our adventure posed are as follows. First, if Nigerians at home continue to receive substandard education in the hands of rogue academics, how could they successfully compete and excel in the global markets? Second (and if this ugly situation is not arrested), would Nigerians not continue, even in their own country, to remain inferior to, and short-changed by, Asians (Indians and Chinese) and Caucasians who are continuing to invade its technology, engineering, oil and gas, construction, and other sectors?

12 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 24, 2013
op you are very right it is not just a nigerian situation it is a world wide trend.children now spend less time reading and more time on gadgets.a lazy generation is the price humanity has to pay for our advancement in technology.parents can help by encouraging their children to read more and spend less time with their phones and devices.nigeria's education system is not helping, most teachers are more concerned about if your notes are up to date than what the kid learnt.you need to see 8year old kids sending texts with multiple abbreviation of words when they do not even have a complete knowledge of their vocabulary.although i will like to see a change,it is almost impossible because the entire system has failed both teachers,parents and govt.half baked graduates dönt just enter the oven in the university they start baking from childhood.so parents teach your kids now
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Olugbenger(m): 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ok.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by nneh1(f): 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
This is very pathetic. I had to warn my little cousin who is 18yrs not to send any text message to me if the grammar is not correct. All they know is abbreviation,wizkid,davido,p square,mikel obi,toyota camry etc. God have mercy on our educational system because it makes me weep.

3 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by ednut1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
This is nigeria, things will only get worse, we are all to blame grin, next

2 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 1:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
corruptst: The deplorable state of Education in Nigeria calls for serious concern among the government and the stakeholders (parents, teachers, students and employers of labour). Going down the memory lane is essential for us to know where we are coming from, where we are today and where we are heading to. Gone are those days when just having 5 credits in your O' level (Maths and English included) gave the alluring impression of an above average student, and having 8 distinctions and 1 credit were results reserved for the genuis (exceptionally brilliant ones). Even as the best graduating student and best English Language student in the government owned secondary school I attended, I could still remember looking into my O' level result and wondering how I got a C6 in English. Tough luck, I must confess. That's how education was then. I do not claim to have enjoyed the best that Nigeria education offered in its prime but looking back, I think it's far better than what suffice now.

What do we have now? Any Tom, Dick and Harry flash O'level results for all to see with outright incredible grades yet they could hardly say/write a complete sentence in English. Same applies to other subjects, or how else can someone who had B3 in Mathematics have problems with solving factorization. If you are one of those saying, "It's not everyone that's good in Maths", then count yourself among those I am pointing accusing fingers at.

During my preclinical years in the university, I once tried organizing WAEC and JAMB preparatory tutorials for students in my area but got the surprise of my life when one of the chaps asked me about the arrangements I have made for "Special Centres". Not that I'm hearing that for the 1st time but coming from a boy that had not even attempted any of such exams and the level of details he gave was so disheartening. All efforts to prove that the tutorials will be enough proved abortive. JAMB exams are not left spared as well, even with numerous strategies devised to curtail exam malpractices, it's still the same old story. A handbill for a tutorial class was like, "Embarrass UTME by scoring above 280". I jus smiled and walked away thinking about "our time". Was it that JAMB exams have gotten simpler or this same students have become more brilliant than we were? These were questions begging for answers but I guess we all know now.

To be continued...

Okay. Waiting for PART 2 of your "Eze Goes To School".
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
How sad.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by mckorode(m): 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
I agree with you on the poor state of education in Nigeria. But regarding the comments like 'end time tinz' and '1st to comment ',I don't believe it is the related to education in any way,it's in a completely different facet of life which is the social aspect. Education is not the only influential aspect of life,people have different personalities reflected in their social life.Such comments come from jesters,jokers and even serious people for the fun of it.
As for the issue of entertainment overtaking education,it's an individual thing.I don't watch football when it's not staring me right in the face,you will not catch me in wizkid's concert for any reason. Every nation,community or society is faced with the influential power of entertainment, sports and so on.And as you know,there are also people who go through school for the sole purpose of being a performer.

I'm not against your views but simply giving a little more perspective. I also believe that the education sector does need transformation in this country.I have actually written a little article pointing out some steps to achieve the transformation we need.pls forgive me,I don't mean to derail the thread.
i have attached a file outlining few transformation policies and the advantages.
You can check this threadhttps://www.nairaland.com/1530352/how-nigeria-transform-educational-sector

5 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by firstolalekan(m): 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Na today?

it has tayed...
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Our schools haven't been the same since our colonial masters left, after they had established decent school systems and left them in our care
It's been a downward trend since.
From the evidence on ground, we are trully inept at managing complex systems.

7 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by lekkie073(m): 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2013
e go beta o....

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by NigerianAsshole(f): 1:42pm On Nov 24, 2013
True story
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by EreluY(f): 1:43pm On Nov 24, 2013
Afterall Goodluck Jonathan allegedly has a BSc degree in zoology, MSc in Hydrobiology and fisheries biology, and PhD in zoology all from the University of Port Harcourt. Yet, my father in law, a retired primary school headteacher, fluently speaks Queen's English, and sounds more articulate, coherent than Mr Goodluck Jonathan.

7 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by NigerianAsshole(f): 1:46pm On Nov 24, 2013
C_JAY: Our schools haven't been the same since our colonial masters left, after they had established decent school systems and left them in our care
It's been a downward trend since.
From the evidence on ground, we are trully inept at managing complex systems.
complex systems ke? Even the simple one's are difficult to manage.

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
Hehehehe, I remember not reading even a page in my Jamb question sheet, I was just concerned with writing the answer sent to me, hehehehe, abeg no ask me wetin I get and also don't think am dull not to write from my head.... Just that the school I took the exam gave everybody a go ahead and also gave us a limited time to fill our rubbish.... So everything went upside down and even teachers and headmistress turn the whole thing to business and the Jamb examiner looked for beautiful girls nd was not worried at all, I remembered someone climbing my table and almost stepped on my answer sheet in front of the examiner.... I just know one thing that Our Nija education na wash, na God dey save person..

2 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nigeriakan: 1:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
Here they come again. All the good times are usually the gone old days, as if those days really existed. Except in their imagination, anyway. It wonders me why people wail, weep, and throw tantrums on inexistent stuff. Waht exactly are the measurements for comparing the standards of the so called good old days and the poor nowadays? English, Mathematics, WAEC, NECO, JaMB, or what?
If it's English, the gone good old days really gave the good old schoolers the best -Patrick Obiaghon can say the same. Hy

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Big4wig(m): 1:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
ASUU ß |¥k if u feeling dis strike spiritually,letme hear u say'"Next Year'"......

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by ochukoccna: 1:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
@ topic but specifically Erelu Y, if Nigerian lecturers, associate professors, and professors cannot generate papers which will grace Elsevier, Science Direct, ACM and other prestigious peer reviewed publications then what is the essence of our higher educational system?
What is then is cutting edge in the knowledge Nigerian students recieve if our local 'experts' shy from the global top brains in their field of endevour analysing their work? undecided undecided
Why then are we up in arms when our schools are not in the top 1000?
I did a comparative review recently of 2 peer reviewed journals and boy o boy, it was tough shocked shocked
Getting the journals to fit the context of the question was the first challenge before then proceeding to the review
Anyone who has schooled/schools in the West knows that cricical analysis skills are very paramount in their learning style and is well rewared unlike in Africa where questioning your 'elders' thought patterns is seen as a taboo and abomination
But I still stress, if our higher education minders are not mentally capable of peer reviewed benchmarking, what is the essence of the education students recieve from them?
The human mind, is a terrible thing to waste

You look at many parts of Africa and just weep

N:B
The average Nigerian is a very intelligent being even if it is in an inert state due to the system that prevails

3 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by alphaconde(m): 1:51pm On Nov 24, 2013
The laspes in our education is likened to an explosion waiting to happen. People just can't discus the main issues in their discipline after graduation. This is painful.

I rest the blame squarely on lecturers and school admin, they haven't made things better. Don't even mention infrastructure here.

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by edrys(m): 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
corruptst: The deplorable state of Education in Nigeria calls for serious concern among the government and the stakeholders (parents, teachers, students and employers of labour). Going down the memory lane is essential for us to know where we are coming from, where we are today and where we are heading to. Gone are those days when just having 5 credits in your O' level (Maths and English included) gave the alluring impression of an above average student, and having 8 distinctions and 1 credit were results reserved for the genuis (exceptionally brilliant ones). Even as the best graduating student and best English Language student in the government owned secondary school I attended, I could still remember looking into my O' level result and wondering how I got a C6 in English. Tough luck, I must confess. That's how education was then. I do not claim to have enjoyed the best that Nigeria education offered in its prime but looking back, I think it's far better than what suffice now.

To be continued...
And what do you have to say regarding Schools that organise Special Centre for their Students. I think corruption has eaten deep into the fragment of our Society.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
God bless the OP, I give up.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 1:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
nneh1: This is very pathetic. I had to warn my little cousin who is 18yrs not to send any text message to me if the grammar is not correct. All they know is abbreviation,wizkid,davido,p square,mikel obi,toyota camry etc. God have mercy on our educational system because it makes me weep.
On point!

Its pathetic. Check on Nairaland too. They abbreviate because they don't know the right spelling and they don't want to learn either.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apply for David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarship For Undergraduate Students 2016 / Faculty Of Social Sciences Benue State University Building Collapses / Anambra Clinches The First And Second Positions In ANCOPSS National Quiz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.