Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,045 members, 7,807,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read (31318 Views)

Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident / Career As A Writer - Little Things That Go A Long Way In Selling Your Book / How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Harmvirus(f): 9:25am On Jul 07, 2014
Nice
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by akins56(m): 9:30am On Jul 07, 2014
Onlinebizexpert: start online importation, quote me if interested
pls am intrested, send me a mail to akinsuccess200@gmail.com
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by uo067: 9:31am On Jul 07, 2014
Well said....
100% true
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by zicoraads: 9:37am On Jul 07, 2014
This is nice...very very nice in fact.

The fact is, not everybody can land a job in NNPC, CBN, SHELL, FIRS, NCC et al after leaving school. But most of us are always in a rush to 'hammer'. Just start small and it'll be more fulfiling when u look back at au u started and gradually got to where u are.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Skillz02(m): 9:50am On Jul 07, 2014
Earning my own living through Info Marketing,,,
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by jeff1607(m): 9:58am On Jul 07, 2014
D tin is how does one raise enuf capital to start a biz .before one will continue doin free jobs to get experience till he or she gets to 40

1 Like

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 07, 2014
Hmm nice topic.
For fresh graduates, you may want to read my signature.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Emulti(m): 9:59am On Jul 07, 2014

ok
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Lobolintin(m): 10:15am On Jul 07, 2014
I majored in Urban Planning.. And today.. Am deeply into politics and business... Diversified.. Self made..
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by myspnigeria: 10:26am On Jul 07, 2014
nice writeup..... bravo

1 Like

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by wroskian(m): 10:28am On Jul 07, 2014
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by luvola(m): 10:34am On Jul 07, 2014
ayodeleolaolu05@yahoo.com
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by AUDREYBEE: 10:43am On Jul 07, 2014
Are you a credit expert? Do you have at least 2 years experince in risk analysis and risk asset management?
Have you worked in the Credit and loans department of a financial institution?
Well, your expertise is NEEDED. A newly licenced finance house is recruiting a credit and sales team!
Send your resume to hrmandfinance@gmail.com before Friday, 25th July, 2014.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by zeongeon: 10:46am On Jul 07, 2014
Its a nice write up but not applicable to Nigeria..WHY? Simply because we are not sincere in this country..u can't even get that internship without knowing some one in the coy...its even so bad that in Nigeria people buy jobs or pay for jobs.

The white's that go into trades skill or diversify go into what they want to go into because of passion and vision and not cos of d sad employment/welfare state of there nation But for Nigeria most pple are driven by survival most are doing what they don't like because or what they never thought of doing cos of the bad state of the nation...if Nigeria was good most people won't be doing what there doing now for a job..the other day I saw a graduate doing offload job as in carrying cartons out of d truck.

It sad in naija that if God isn't on ur side u may remain stagnant doing tellering in a bank or working ur ass of as a contract staff.

The write up even makes graduate note that if there to diversify it should be something reasonable and something u can build on BUT in naija here most graduates end up doing jobs the white students do during summer.

In nigeria its connection and favour that is key if u try to do oyinbo system for naija u go just hook because d society doesn't even support sincerity.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by martinz1: 11:03am On Jul 07, 2014
tell that to graduate of economics. arts. English. and all that
I don't think it applies to doctors . civil engineers and lawyers.
unless he doesnt intend to practice his field of study
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by aseczyl(m): 11:29am On Jul 07, 2014
ujsizzle: Came across this, and thought it worth sharing.

This recent piece, written by Todd Hirsch, the Calgary-based chief economist of ATB Financial and author of "The Boiling Frog Dilemma: Saving Canada from Economic Decline", will serve our young graduates as they navigate the job market, even in this most difficult time. The message is simple: whatever your hand finds to do, begin from there. I am well aware that the Nigerian terrain is quite different from the Canadian one on which the author based his thesis but the inherent lesson cuts across boundaries as it simply teaches that fresh graduates should be wise. Here is what Todd Hirsch wrote:

SOURCE: www.
Great piece
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 07, 2014
bestestgirl: So true, #TeamEconomists
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by tohero(m): 11:43am On Jul 07, 2014
I think this is a reason to reason with Natural courses like Studying English, Mathematics, Physics, Economics e.t.c

Such courses do not seems to have a limitation to a field of work unlike courses like Aeronautics , Mechanical, Electrical engineering e.t.c where a physicist can delve in to work at any point in time.

Imagine Computer Science, Accounting, Engineering, Banking, Oil sectors e.t.c where a mathematics student can decide to work

Or should we talk about English Students who have limitless no places to work.

Most IMPORTANTLY we need to build our minds, we need to build ourselves and never limit our knowledge to a particular sector.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by jauntty: 12:11pm On Jul 07, 2014
This is well-said and should provoke some thinking. I used to tell people in school that : Don't study for Govt Jobs only, study n achieve skills that can make u independent and contribute smth to society and to meet people's needs. Here is a real experience while in school....I love Tech stuffs and computers, so one day I told a colleague of mine that I wanted to learn how to design website using Wordpress, and he laugh and told me that I was confused and lack direction, that how can a Doctor be wasting time designing websites and coding. Anyway I did learnt that and when I started getting some cash frm it he was the first to spend it with me. Here is another true life story...a friend of mine graduated frm UNIBEN in Elect Engineering, after a year of searching for Job without success he decided to start repairing fones. After a while, he started selling fones too, and then laptops. Later he was supplying some Organizations. Today, He has a car, married and he is doing well for himself. That is within 5 years. Summary : Just start somewhere, no matter how small and be committed to it.

4 Likes

Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by brixton: 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2014
Booked
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by TopSpot: 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2014
Well written and informative.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by manosteel(m): 1:19pm On Jul 07, 2014
Nice piece. The key word here is, do no despise your little beginning. Few months back, I met a guy working with Schlumberger, after graduating as a Mechanical engineer, he was employed as a mechanic, the post he held for many years. Today he is a senior Manager in Schlumberger, overseeing Eight Countries in Africa and it took him Fifteen years of active service and learning from the Job to get there.
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by obinoral1179(m): 1:27pm On Jul 07, 2014
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by lhanrytosh(m): 1:40pm On Jul 07, 2014
Tell me about it
Re: How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read by efembaba(m): 2:30pm On Jul 07, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Physically Challenged Man Is A Street Sweeper In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) / Who Must You Be To End Your Struggle With Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.