Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,046 members, 7,799,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes (14572 Views)

Filipina Toddler Who Woke Up At Her Own Funeral Mass Is Dead Again / Shisha Smoking Is More Harmful Than Cigarettes / 10 Gross Things About Smoking Cigarettes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
A toddler who shocked the world with his chain smoking has kicked the habit - but he’s piled on the weight ever since. Aldi Rizal, now aged five, was first discovered three years ago in a poor village in Sumatra, Indonesia, puffing on a cigarette while riding his tricycle.
He soon became a media sensation and the public outcry led to the Indonesia Government launching a campaign to stop children smoking. It also organised special rehabilitation treatment to help Aldi quit.

He was taken for play therapy sessions in Jakarta for two weeks to take his mind off his 40-a-day habit and learn to be a normal toddler.
A new documentary series revisits the family two years on to find out how Aldi is getting on, and reveals he has managed to stay off the cigarettes.

During his rehabilitation treatment, Aldi saw psychiatrists who encouraged his mum to keep him busy with playing and taught her about the dangers of smoking.
One of them , Dr Kak Seto still sees Aldi and his family at regular intervals to ensure he is not falling back into old habits.
His mother Diane helped him kick the habit. His mum, Diane, 28, said: “There are many people still offering Aldi cigarettes, but Aldi says no. He says ‘I love Kak Seto. He would be sad if I started smoking again and made myself ill’.

“At first we were weaning Aldi off the cigarettes he would have terrible tantrums and I would call Dr Seto for help. But now he doesn’t want them.”

However Diane’s now worried about her son’s weight as he developed food cravings while quitting smoking. Diane said the strong-willed little boy now demands food in the same way he used to beg for cigarettes and the family struggles not to give in to his tantrums.

Diane said: “When Aldi first quit smoking, he would demand a lot of toys. He would bang his head on the wall if he couldn’t get what he wanted. That’s why I get him cigarettes in the first place – because of his temper and his crying. Now I don’t give him cigarettes, but he eats a lot. With so many people living in the house it’s hard to stop him from getting food.” Now Aldi has been advised to go on a healthier diet to lose weight. He now also helps his mum Diane and dad Mohamed out on their market stall where his bright bubbly character and cheekiness win him lots of attention.

Diane admitted; “I feel happy when people want to speak to him because they know him. But I feel annoyed when they refer to him as ‘the smoking kid’. It makes me feel like they are accusing me of being a bad parent.” Dianne and Mohammed decided to take Aldi to a nutritionist for medical checks and now they’ve been given advice on how to put him on a healthier diet so he can start to lose some weight. Nutritionist Fransisca Dewi said: “Aldi is very overweight, his weight doesn’t match his age. His ideal weight is 17kg to 19kg. He’s 24kg already. I think it is difficult for them. The mother says Aldi is a spoilt kid. If Diane wants to forbid him eating, it will be hard.”

•SOURCE: DailyMirror, UK
Secondary source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/chain-smoking-toddler-gives-up-cigarettes/165009/
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Mobsync(m): 3:00pm On Nov 23, 2013
Fagbo Fagbo...

...no dulling.

1 Like

Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Afam4eva(m): 3:04pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ohh, that guy baby. That's good to know.
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by abdulslutsky(m): 3:13pm On Nov 23, 2013
Funny.A 5-year old toddler?

Awon ohun igba ikeyin :/

Thank God for his life sha

1 Like

Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Annie2gud(f): 3:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
Lol....Smoking skunky baby
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by YungLaw(f): 4:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
gud 4 him
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by pretydiva(f): 4:13pm On Nov 23, 2013
Made front page 2day ;DMade front page 2day
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 23, 2013

That is some oral fixation.

1 Like

Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by slimthugchimee(m): 4:15pm On Nov 23, 2013
Been making fp alot why k to the topic so wetin consign me
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by cheezkid(m): 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2013
dopE
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by freda506(f): 4:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
wow shocked
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Texykool: 4:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
Aye n lo sopin... cheesy
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by NadiaSA1(f): 4:25pm On Nov 23, 2013
ETT
End Time Toddler

3 Likes

Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by freecocoa(f): 4:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
Is this a joke?

How does a 2 years old get 40 sticks of cigarettes to smoke in a day?

His parents should be jailed.

1 Like

Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Temismith(f): 4:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ope woooo grin
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by ichommy(m): 4:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
O boy, I wan die? 40 Stick per day.
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Adesam09(m): 4:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ok
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nikapetrelli(f): 4:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
Na wa,kids get mind
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 23, 2013
grin ends time baby
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 23, 2013
Adontbelivit shocked
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by thewarrior72: 5:00pm On Nov 23, 2013
Wey the pix naa, abi una wan mak I no believe this tori?

2 Likes

Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by israel007: 5:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Why stop; thought it was fun!
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by CodeHouse: 5:03pm On Nov 23, 2013
Eleyi gidi gan o shocked
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by pharmow: 5:05pm On Nov 23, 2013
Sorry to say, but the damage has already been done to his lung
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by OKUCHI11(m): 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2013
the warrior72: Wey the pix naa, abi una wan mak I no believe this tori?
NA TRUE I READ AM 4 PM NEWS SOME YEARS BACK ...
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Regiblinkz(m): 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2013
gangster 4 life
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 23, 2013
Nawa o, End Time Child. ETC
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Willgates(m): 5:26pm On Nov 23, 2013
i smell lies
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 23, 2013
booked
Re: Chain-smoking Toddler Gives Up Cigarettes by johnwizey: 5:44pm On Nov 23, 2013
Na Fela grandson

(1) (2) (Reply)

2 Good Drug To Use For Your Heavy Cough This Dry Season / Wonder Of Goron- Tula Fruit On Fertility And All Other Health Benefits. / 10 Health Tips To Healthy Living In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.