Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,309 members, 7,780,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:54 PM

Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". (61783 Views)

FRSC Hilux Without Brake Lights, Who Will Make The Arrest? (Picture) / Toyota Hilux Manual/automatic Which One Is Better? / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ivoryhouse(m): 3:21pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hey Sienna, its always exciting to read your posts, keep up the good work. I have finalised with the seller of the 110 defender 1985 I told you about last week. Its engine is 4cylinders, 2.5l that pushes out 83hp.fuel system is carburator and it has a 4gear Lt77 gear box. The engine is a petrol runner (the owner threw out the 3.5lv8 it came with).
Now the this, I would like to do a comprehensive upgrade: engine, transmission, introduce central locking door mechanism, electric window controls, etc. I am intrigued by the td5 engine which I hear has quite a punch compared to other LR options. What do you think, and can you help me source a brand new or a really good used engine andtransmission? Which would you recommend?

Happy new year people, and may your goals for this year be met and surpassed in Jesus name!
Here a a few pictures of the ladie in question.
Cheers

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Numerouuuno: 10:38pm On Jan 02, 2014
@Ivoryhouse
Are you going to do the overhaul of this ride in Nigeria?
If its in the affirmative,pls create a thread for it,i'll love to see how you go about it...i like people that faces challenges head-on cos that car is going to have lots of it.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ivoryhouse(m): 12:41am On Jan 03, 2014
Numero uuuno: @Ivoryhouse
If its in the affirmative,pls create a thread for it,i'll love to see how you go about it...i like people that faces challenges head-on cos that car is going to have lots of it.

Affirmative. I am new here and I'm not sure how to create a thread and whether peeps will even see the thread. If Sienna won't mind I could just keep the updates here.

1 Like

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by sultaan(m): 2:59am On Jan 03, 2014
Afolabs101: Hi siena,

Very interesting project, I love the helix and am about to get one for everyday use. My only problem is that slow arse 2.7l engine.

I'm based in Lagos, do u think I could do an engine conversion here to upgrade an '08/09 hilux to a V8?

Also, what else would need to be changed in order for the vehicle to handle the increase in power? New twin exhaust system for the V8, new wheels n tyres for better handling maybe, plus any changes to the drivetrain, new gearbox etc??

I'd be very interested in carrying out this project but as I'm only a car enthusiast and not a mechanic, I'd need competent people to do the job.

Your thoughts please...

Why not just get a Tundra

@Siena when you say Lexus V8 are you talking about the 4.3l, 4.7l, or new 4.6l?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Afolabs101: 10:04am On Jan 03, 2014
sultaan:

Why not just get a Tundra

I prefer the shape of the hilux as it's not as big as the tundra. I've seen pics of hilux's in Dubai tuned up and they look crazy. Plus it would be an interesting project I think.

I think the Lexus engine should be the 4.3l V8 from a GS430. In sure it would be a lot more expensive getting one of the new 4.6's.

Another alternative would be the old 4.7
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 04, 2014
[CLICK] ivoryhouse i'll really like to see you restore that LR Defender and tune it up to that modern g class level.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ivoryhouse(m): 9:25am On Jan 04, 2014
Numero uuuno: @Ivoryhouse
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ivoryhouse(m): 9:28am On Jan 04, 2014
Bossforeva: [CLICK] ivoryhouse i'll really like to see you restore that LR Defender and tune it up to that modern g class level.
The major challenge is engine swap but we will surmount it
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
ivoryhouse: Affirmative. I am new here and I'm not sure how to create a thread and whether peeps will even see the thread. If Sienna won't mind I could just keep the updates here.

Ride on, bro. It'll be interesting to see your 110 Defender come to life. What engine do you intend to swap in? I would definitely get a 5-speed manual, regardless of engine choice.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
sultaan: Why not just get a Tundra

For starters bro, there's no fun in buying a built car. Besides, I prefer the look of the Hilux. The Tundra isn't available in the UK anyway.

It's a 4.3 V8 2 x DOHC 32V from a 2002 Lexus LS430. (3UZ-FE).
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afolabs101: Hi siena,

Very interesting project, I love the helix and am about to get one for everyday use. My only problem is that slow arse 2.7l engine.

I'm based in Lagos, do u think I could do an engine conversion here to upgrade an '08/09 hilux to a V8?

Also, what else would need to be changed in order for the vehicle to handle the increase in power? New twin exhaust system for the V8, new wheels n tyres for better handling maybe, plus any changes to the drivetrain, new gearbox etc??

Your 2.7 I4 still makes 160 hp, so heaps better than what mine came with!

A V8 swap is very feasible, as long as you get a decent shop, with savvy technicians who know what they're doing.

If you were going the V8 route, what engine would you opt for?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ikeyman00(m): 3:35am On Jan 05, 2014
@@@

nice to know all of a sudden some people start to believe in engine swap with all the talk about wire harness and gear box fortification

peace and happy new year people

this goes to show there is serious talent in ngbuka obosi Anambra

we will surely and steadily get there

we are here!
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ivoryhouse(m): 12:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
Siena:

Ride on, bro. It'll be interesting to see your 110 Defender come to life. What engine do you intend to swap in? I would definitely get a 5-speed manual, regardless of engine choice.
Thanks Siena, I have sent out mails to car shops in the uk and us for quotes. I intend to have them build the engine overseas then ship it down. I definitely am down with a 5speed manual, considering a 4.0v8 from land rover since from the looks of things I won't gain much from a td5. Send me a quote if you're interested in getting me an engine or give me a referral.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
ivoryhouse:
Thanks Siena, I have sent out mails to car shops in the uk and us for quotes. I intend to have them build the engine overseas then ship it down. I definitely am down with a 5speed manual, considering a 4.0v8 from land rover since from the looks of things I won't gain much from a td5. Send me a quote if you're interested in getting me an engine or give me a referral.

Sure. Shoot me an email.

siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by ivoryhouse(m): 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2014
Siena:

Sure. Shoot me an email.

siena_@hotmail.co.uk

You've got mail.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 09, 2014
ivoryhouse: You've got mail.

Thanks. I'll go through it, and get back to you.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2014
Due to Nairaland's loss of data after the recent downtime, I am filling in the blanks in my project thread. Please bear with me if the chronology seems off, I'm copying and pasting from other forums I've got this project on.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 27, 2014
I put my truck on a lift, so I could assess what exactly is needed. Right now, the propshaft is bad, it's off the truck, so she can only drive if AWD is engaged. Meaning it's currently FWD. wink Some pictures - note the brown stuff underneath is not rust, it's dried mud. The company she previously belonged to used her extensively off road. smiley

All in, I'm pleased with the general condition. The bodywork is pretty solid. Not bad for a Toyota truck with over a quarter of a million miles on the odometer! cool
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by princemedico: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2014
Siena: Due to Nairaland's loss of data after the recent downtime, I am filling in the blanks in my project thread. Please bear with me if the chronology seems off, I'm copying and pasting from other forums I've got this project on.

That will be so so appreciated.
The loss of data has taken away useful and important posts, I believe it can still be rebuilt.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 28, 2014
After a period of inactivity, I was able to drive my Toyota Hilux home. I've been pretty busy on my Toyota courses, so I've been away from home.

The first thing I did was insure her. So at least in that respect, she's legal. The first thing I'll do is give her a thorough underbody wash, the chassis is absolutely caked with mud. Then of course, I'll start stock piling parts needed, as well as accessories to make her look good.

I'm also looking into a solid front axle swap. The rear is solid, while the front is independent. While independent gives more refinement on Tarmac, it seriously limits the truck's off-road capabilities. I'll be chatting with a buddy with regards that. The stock solid Toyota rear is okay, though it won't be too happy with the power and torque of a Lexus 3UZ-FE shoved through it.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:23am On Jun 28, 2014
The majority of UK-spec Toyota Hilux 4x4 Trucks left the factory pretty much as utility workhorses. So this meant no chrome, alloy wheels - those that were lucky enough to be specified with rear bumpers had the extremely ugly, droopy rear step, which actually sat lower than the truck's bodywork.

I opted to purchase the chrome rear bumper for the 2012 Toyota Hilux / Vigo, and modify it to fit. I also purchased the correct front bumper for my own truck, which has the model code KDN165, but in chrome too. Both front combined side lamps and indicators had seen better days, so I purchased a new set, as well as a replacement front grille, in chrome. I picked all these parts at ridiculously cheap prices. Working for Toyota has it's perks. smiley

To get the truck roadworthy, I have to tackle the immediate items that are either not working properly, or broken. The parking brake doesn't hold the truck on an incline, putting it on a 4 poster vehicle lift, I soon found out why - the rear section of the parking brake cable is seized solid, and at the same time, I observed both front CV joint rubber boots are split. So it made sense to purchase these too.

All that remains bodywise, before the truck can go into the Bodyshop for her transformation, is a set of genuine Toyota fender flares. I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet, but I have a couple of ideas. I'm replacing the tail lamps with LED items, the headlamps will either be brand new OEM replacements, or upgraded projector units, to enable HID bulbs to achieve the correct beam pattern.

Pictures to follow.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:26am On Jun 28, 2014
Some of the purchased items for my Toyota Hilux 4x4 Truck. I still need a set of fender flares, to give the truck a much more masculine, aggressive look. No Plain Jane here! wink
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 28, 2014
Front bumper:

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 28, 2014
Rear bumper, mounting brackets, nuts and bolts:

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 28, 2014
Chrome front VX grille:

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 28, 2014
Front side lamps / indicators:

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 28, 2014
Parking brake cable (rear):

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:04am On Jun 28, 2014
Front CV joint gaiters, and installation cone:

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 28, 2014
I've decided to go with LED rear lamp clusters, and as I intend to install HID headlamps, I'll be purchasing projector headlamps. Besides having twin bulbs in each unit, the projectors on dipped beam will allow HID installation to work without blinding other road users, and of course remain street legal.

The factory single rear foglamp on the driver's side will be deleted, and the foglamp transferred to the reverse lamp, with a red 21W bulb.

Picture updates will follow.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 28, 2014
One thing which is not easy to choose, when doing a project car, is a colour, and it's no different with my Toyota Hilux 4x4.

I originally looked at other colours in the Toyota range, as well as Audi and other car manufacturers. I'm after a unique, vibrant colour, and it soon became pretty clear to me I was not going to find it where I was looking. Sure, I could go with a special, one-off mix, but decided against that from the onset. A scratch would mean it would be difficult to match the paint, meaning the whole car would need paint. So that idea was scrapped.

Now, when it comes to bold colours, cruise and power bikes are where it's at - Ducati, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley Davidson. Which is where I found my dream colour. I went to look at some paint chips today, and it looks terrific in the sun. It's all too easy to procrastinate, and keep changing one's mind. So I purchased all I need:

2 litres of xxxx base coat.
2 litres of xxxx pearl.
5 litres of 2-pack lacquer.
2 litres of activator / hardener.
3 litres of xxxx primer.

At least, now I can't change my mind, unless I'm prepared to lose money. Once paint materials are mixed, there are no refunds possible.

Pictures to follow.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 28, 2014
Tomorrow, my Bodyshop guy is coming down to have a look at my Toyota Hilux. He will then be able to give me a quotation for the work. I can certainly paint the truck myself, but I would need to hire a spray booth, with an oven. I would actualy end up paying more, than if I got a shop to do it.

Naturally, I'll be stripping the truck down completely, (the only correct way to paint an automobile) so the paint gets to every corner, with the minimum amount of masking. That means removing:

01) Doors.
02) Doors, including front and rear screens
03) Door and tailgate handles
04) All lights.
05) Front grille.
06) Front bumper.
07) Front wings.
08) Rear tub (the cargo area).
09) Badges and associated trim.
10) Door mirrors.
11) Wheel arch plastic liners.

The bodywork is pretty sound, so it'll need minimal preparation for paint. I will do all the sanding down, and any exposed metal will be primered by myself too.

I am looking to build a custom rear deck lid, so will be mocking up a template for the frame. The rear deck lid will utilise Toyota Avensis hinges, from a 2004 car. It will also be active hydraulic rams, have a genuine Toyota lock, and feature an electronic release button on the dash.

So much to do, between work, family commitments, and my Audi A4 Quattro DTM project. Strangely, the Toyota project is getting me more excited than the Audi one. Not because I prefer the Toyota Brand to the Audi one, but because this is the first time I've handled a Toyota project, and the first time I've based a project on a truck. It will also be the most expensive, largest-scale project I've tackled till date.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. The usual picture updates will follow, and thanks for keeping up this far.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 28, 2014
I got home from work today, to find a package had arrived for me, via DHL. I opened it up, to find my projector headlamps, and matching crystal indicators / side lamps. It's quite well made too, with a built wiring harness and a pair of relays, making the headlamps plug 'n play in my Hilux.

Remember, the OEM Toyota Hilux has just single headlamps, with a common bulb for dipped and main beams. The new set up has separate bulbs for dipped and main, with the outer projectors dedicated to dipped beams. Just needs a nice HID kit and it's good to go. Being used to my Audi's with their factory HID headlamps, I find the stock Toyota halogens way too yellow to live with.

Still waiting for my LED rear lamps to arrive. I DID pick up a set of stock Toyota clear side repeaters, to replace the rather boring amber units. They look good, but seeing them against the nice fresh crystal front lights, they lack sparkle. So of course, a set of crystals has been ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on those sweet li'l suckers. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Anambra Governor, Obiano's Official Bullet-Proof Car (PHOTO) / Inside Olu Okeowo's ₦2b Garage That Includes Rolls-Royces,Bentleys & M-benz / Mercedez Benz GLK 350 Abandoned By In Sapele By Unknown People (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.