Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". (61920 Views)

FRSC Hilux Without Brake Lights, Who Will Make The Arrest? (Picture) / Toyota Hilux Manual/automatic Which One Is Better? / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by omanko: 9:21am On Aug 18, 2014
I have a first generation and a second generation Montero, good cars far cheaper than the overpriced Landcruiser. But I have to replace that timing belt on the second gen regularly—in the US, $1000 each time, since I want the job done well by a professional. It seems that the J80 landcruiser made from 1990 through 1992 with the 3FE engine has a gear instead of a timing belt or chain. This makes it very attractive for a low budget off-roader who does not need the performance advantages of OHC engines and needs a sturdy, reliable car that does not require regular high cost maintenance, doesn't it?
Am I missing something here?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 18, 2014
Siena:

Thanks bro. I can't wait to start tearing down my 2001 Lexus LS430 for the 4.3 V8 and other bits. A shame though, as the car is mint.

This is the bit that I'm salivating for and the ensuing melee in getting it shoved into her new residence.

That time when you start the engine and go for an initial shake down drive and you understand what you've done is bliss.

Absolute power absolutely corrupts grin
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 18, 2014
CityNG: This is the bit that I'm salivating for and the ensuing melee in getting it shoved into her new residence.

That time when you start the engine and go for an initial shake down drive and you understand what you've done is bliss.

Absolute power absolutely corrupts grin

You know the feeling bro, having been there yourself on several occasions. I'm going to need a Soarer bellhousing for my R151 transmission, or swap my transfer case to the Lexus transmission, and keep it all automatic. wink

Was the Soarer V8 ever available as a manual?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 18, 2014
Siena:

You know the feeling bro, having been there yourself on several occasions. I'm going to need a Soarer bellhousing for my R151 transmission, or swap my transfer case to the Lexus transmission, and keep it all automatic. wink

Was the Soarer V8 ever available as a manual?

The Soarer is I think what we call the Lexus SC (300 and 400) here in the states.

According to this

1992–1997 SC 300 JZZ31 3.0 L I6 2JZ-GE 4-AT/5-MT 225 hp (168 kW)[53] 210 ft·lbf (280 N·m) @4800 rpm[53

They came in manual but I have never ever seen one in the US.

I was flogged to an inch of my life in one of my Austin Minis by a Suzuki Swift. The Mini then had the lowly 850 engine with about 27horsepower. I then imported an engine from the UK, a 1300 from an MG Metro (bolts right in with no modification) which had about 90 horsepower when I was done with massaging it. 90 horsepower in a car that weighs 1300 pounds is very decent.

I spent weeks looking for that fool in the Swift for my payback but I never found him grin
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
I have fond memories of the MG Metro Turbo. That old A-series motor is legendary.

There is a 1985 Austin Mini in the Suffolk area, running a bored out MG Metro Turbo lump. It's an extreme little car, running around 300 hp. In such a small, light car, a Bugatti Veyron would struggle to catch it, especially in the twisties.

It's a 1400cc.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 18, 2014
Siena: I have fond memories of the MG Metro Turbo. That old A-series motor is legendary.

There is a 1985 Austin Mini in the Suffolk area, running a bored out MG Metro Turbo lump. It's an extreme little car, running around 300 hp. In such a small, light car, a Bugatti Veyron would struggle to catch it, especially in the twisties.

It's a 1400cc.

The trick here is to stroke the 1300 first to 1380 and then as the bores wear then to 1420.

But as far as power to weight ratios I marvel as to how Okadas with their single cylinder can carry 3 grown adults and still move around with agility grin
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by lukkie(m): 1:44pm On Aug 24, 2014
Siena

Sorry for bumping your thread. Pls take a look at this.

https://www.nairaland.com/1869598/vibration-problem-pathfinder
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 24, 2014
Lukkie, thread responded to.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by lukkie(m): 6:29am On Aug 25, 2014
Siena: Lukkie, thread responded to.

Got it, thanks. Will let you know how it goes.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
Update!

The shop was open over the vacation period, though I didn't pay a visit. I did drop in after work today, and a bit more has been done. The holes in the bed rail, legacy of the screws and rivets that held the ply board in place have all been welded up, ground down, and filled.

The bed floor has been zinc primed, while the walls and the outside have had 2 coats of regular primer. The fuel filler flap which I had rolled has been fitted, and the steel welded to the bed side has been ground down, and shaped to match the new filler flap profile.

I can see the end in sight now - last Saturday made 9 weeks since the truck has been in the shop. No pictures today, as unfortunately I realised I'd left the memory card at home, when I attempted to snap some shots. Garrrnnnh!!

Tomorrow is another day.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 27, 2014
I got a call this arvo whilst still at work, from the shop.

Just letting me know my truck is ready to go into the paint booth, but my presence is needed to make sure I'm happy with the finish. So I'll be there after work, to cast my ever critical, BEADY eye over the finish.

Looks like we're getting there. smiley
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
So...she's pretty much ready for paint. There are a few areas I have pointed out that need more smoothing. The fuel filler flap is still to be flatted, as do the bonnet, fender flares and one of the doors, I can't remember which side.

The 3 trims at the front - 2 below the headlamps, and the single one below the grille need sanding, priming and then flatting. The plastic valence below the bumper, which is usually grey is going to be body coloured, so that needs preparation too.

Otherwise, we're good to go.

I was able to get some pictures. Not flattering, but you get the idea.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
Bonnet. The finish is great, particularly the redundant screen wash jet areas:

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex6_zps6f37e864.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex1_zpsa4872655.jpg.html"][/url]
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
Bed:

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex5_zpsc3d81571.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex_zps406d09ed.jpg.html"][/url]

Bed interior:

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex3_zpse88781de.jpg.html"][/url]
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
Prepared door:

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex4_zps293267c6.jpg.html"][/url]

Prepared cabin:

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex7_zps97b7c3e0.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/ex2_zps53ae35a0.jpg.html"][/url]
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
The bed lid is being picked up from my place tomorrow, the van the shop is using has racking down one side, and the rear door is deadlocked, and can't be opened. Hopefully we'll be able to manoeuvre the lid in.

I guess now will be the right time to lift the cabin, and run the rear harness back along the frame - it was rolled back under the cabin when the frame was being undersealed. I'll also be fitting the new rear differential e-locker harness, and breather valve.

It's going to be a busy weekend.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 29, 2014
Siena: The bed lid is being picked up from my place tomorrow, the van the shop is using has racking down one side, and the rear door is deadlocked, and can't be opened. Hopefully we'll be able to manoeuvre the lid in.

I guess now will be the right time to lift the cabin, and run the rear harness back along the frame - it was rolled back under the cabin when the frame was being undersealed. I'll also be fitting the new rear differential e-locker harness, and breather valve.

It's going to be a busy weekend.
bro, pls if you have the options of going for either a 2008 Ford Explorer or 2008 Toyota Highlander.. Which one do you think you will finally go for.
Also, do you think a P255 R24 tyre will be compatible with any of these rides... Pls kindly answer.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 29, 2014
Bossforeva: bro, pls if you have the options of going for either a 2008 Ford Explorer or 2008 Toyota Highlander.. Which one do you think you will finally go for.
Also, do you think a P255 R24 tyre will be compatible with any of these rides... Pls kindly answer.

Personally, I would go for the Ford Explorer. It's a nicer-looking SUV than the Toyota Highlander, though that's a matter of personal opinion.

As for the wheels...if I may ask, why do you wish to run such large wheels? What will be the primary use of the chosen SUV?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 2:01am On Aug 30, 2014
@ Mr Siena been following this thread for a while now, infact I read all ur threads and I didn't miss a page. Its nice to see that ur Toyota Hilux truck is coming together piece by piece. May God keep you going and m totally following you bumper to fender grin
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 30, 2014
dumo1: @ Mr Siena been following this thread for a while now, infact I read all ur threads and I didn't miss a page. Its nice to see that ur Toyota Hilux truck is coming together piece by piece. May God keep you going and m totally following you bumper to fender grin

Thanks bruh. I appreciate you all.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by stanzo: 8:22am On Aug 30, 2014
dumo1: @ Mr Siena been following this thread for a while now, infact I read all ur threads and I didn't miss a page. Its nice to see that ur Toyota Hilux truck is coming together piece by piece. May God keep you going and m totally following you bumper to fender grin
I wouldn't call this a Toyota Hilux Truck anymore, more like a Sienamobile Truck, considering the number of different parts that have gone into it. A lot of them Siena's special creations. This has been an eye opening informative and learning experience for me so far. Respect @ Siena. You are one of a kind.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 30, 2014
Siena:

Personally, I would go for the Ford Explorer. It's a nicer-looking SUV than the Toyota Highlander, though that's a matter of personal opinion.

As for the wheels...if I may ask, why do you wish to run such large wheels? What will be the primary use of the chosen SUV?
it will be my personal driver... I fancy large wheels too
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 04, 2014
I haven't updated recently, as I've been pretty busy with yet another Hybrid course.

I have been visiting the shop almost daily, since my truck went in on the 28th June (has it really been that long?)

I was there last on Saturday, to take a few bits from the engine bay - VIN tag, and other items from the rear upper firewall, (from the seam upwards) radiator and lock carrier, as well as both sides. This is to allow these areas to be prepared for painting.

The bed sides, I was not happy with, so they are being worked on, to get a smoother, straighter finish. It's been 10 weeks, I can afford to wait longer if it means an excellent result.

I have also transported the bed lid from my home to the shop, so they have enough to keep them busy - filling, and finishing it ready for paint.

The end is near though, at least as far as the bodywork is concerned. It'll be time to tax her, and sell my 2005 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 V8. The Hilux is going to be a fun truck, with a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 V8 HEMI Quad Cab, in King Ranch trim filling the gap as the family cruiser.

Trucks are where it's at.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 1:21am On Sep 04, 2014
Siena:
The end is near though, at least as far as the bodywork is concerned. It'll be time to tax her, and sell my 2005 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 V8. The Hilux is going to be a fun truck, with a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 V8 HEMI Quad Cab, in King Ranch trim filling the gap as the family cruiser.

Trucks are where it's at.

ooch! That's gonna hurt, I have a soft spot for that audi A8 bro.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 04, 2014
lomomike: ooch! That's gonna hurt, I have a soft spot for that audi A8 bro.

Nah. The Audi's pure luxury, but then so is the Dodge Ram King Ranch edition. And it has immense presence on the road too. cool
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 6:41am On Sep 04, 2014
Siena:

Nah. The Audi's pure luxury, but then so is the Dodge Ram King Ranch edition. And it has immense presence on the road too. cool

But then, slowly, it seem you're drifting away from the Siena-Audi love affair. sad
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 04, 2014
lomomike:

But then, slowly, it seem you're drifting away from the Siena-Audi love affair. sad
Changes bro.. That just the way it is.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2014
Well, the main body went into paint this afternoon.

I have not seen it yet, though the bodyshop will send me some pictures later on this evening. The passenger's side fender has a couple of tiny dents on it, so that will need addressing.

The bed and lid will be painted last. I can't wait to get her back, I'll send a couple of teaser shots. They won't be high resolution though, as I would imagine the shop will be using a phone camera, or at best, a pretty basic digital camera.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
lomomike: But then, slowly, it seem you're drifting away from the Siena-Audi love affair. sad

Not at all, bro. I'm merely casting my net further afield. It's great having a favourite marque, but then it's good to learn something new.

If you don't diversify, you won't excel when it comes to running an all- makes Autocentre, which is what I intend to do. And perhaps not in the UK. I'm still working out the logistics. smiley

1 Like

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Denn(m): 9:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
Siena:

Not at all, bro. I'm merely casting my net further afield. It's great having a favourite marque, but then it's good to learn something new.

If you don't diversify, you won't excel when it comes to running an all- makes Autocentre, which is what I intend to do. And perhaps not in the UK. I'm still working out the logistics. smiley

Siena wants to set up shop in Nigeria
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
A teaser shot. Note, this is not high resolution:

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/imagejpg1_zps0ec6e20f.jpg.html"][/url]
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 07, 2014
Another teaser's just come through...

[url="http://s768.photobucket.com/user/NaijaGuy/media/Project%20Toyota%20Hilux/imagejpg1_zps46a5b993.jpg.html"][/url]

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Inside Olu Okeowo's ₦2b Garage That Includes Rolls-Royces,Bentleys & M-benz / Mercedez Benz GLK 350 Abandoned By In Sapele By Unknown People (Photos) / Keke Napep With Padlocked 3 Tyres, Causes A Stir In Warri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.