Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". (61938 Views)

FRSC Hilux Without Brake Lights, Who Will Make The Arrest? (Picture) / Toyota Hilux Manual/automatic Which One Is Better? / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by sultaan(m): 2:26am On Nov 27, 2013
lomomike: now, this is my comrade in the business of toyota haters grin

I don't really hate Toyota, I just don't like the fact that people are focused on boring brands and pay too much for an economy mistakes

yungboss:
Toyota is a good brand, a very good brand- meets the need of those who are after economy.

I don't think its good spend so much on economic models. When the best minds in Nigeria think Camry is a dream car, there is a big problem
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Trac: 3:31am On Nov 27, 2013
A lot of people (NL - CarTalk) underestimate Japanese vehicles. For one: Toyota happens to be the best [overall] and highly referenced of all Japanese brands. In terms of manufacturing, they are built extremely well. As far as Nigeria is concerned, Japanese cars is what's suited right. Many buy cars to impress people.

I had to pause to figure if it was April's-Fool.

yungboss:
Toyota is a good brand, a very good brand- meets the need of those who are after economy.

Toyota as an "economy" car is a stereotype. Select models are economy. The engineering and details says otherwise. There are more details (engineering details) in a Toyota car than the "economy" category. Construction-wise, they are built exceedingly well. Attention to engineering details are high also. Their engineering emphases when marketing is always thorough; not as groundbreaking. Remember the cup (glass) proof/test? The engineering proof that shook the whole world and 20+ years later, the Europeans have not caught up. Remember the crane drop-test for structural integrity? These are tangible milestones that cannot be imitated.

An economy car is quantifiably based on accessories and functions: often built to a price, with reduced cost of ownership. Toyota's are somewhat cheap because labour in Japan is cheaper. There is market demand for the brand.

sultaan:

I don't really hate Toyota, I just don't like the fact that people are focused on boring brands and pay too much for an economy mistakes

I don't think its good spend so much on economic models. When the best minds in Nigeria think Camry is a dream car, there is a big problem

There is something common about Nigerians, Indians and Mexicans: they don't spend money on cars in terms of maintenance. What is necessary gets taken care of and that is that.

4 Likes

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by dgitrader(m): 9:25am On Nov 27, 2013
Sienna' pls don't fail to add pictures!
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 28, 2013
You are welcome to the Japy business.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
lomomike: then that car would be a Toyota avensis 2.0 D-4D T4
locomike, u b moderator naa. U suppose park well like Chairman, make we wey b ordinary floor members dey guess
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 1:06am On Nov 29, 2013
sultaan: You guys need to understand the strategy of a professional, there is no money when you service reliable quality cars.

But that crap they call Toyota that dies everywhere, that is a boat payment sitting on the side of the road grin grin grin

With so many owners willing to make such a generous contribution to Siena's economy, he is shopping for a bigger boat right now grin grin grin.

Look through the forum its my Toyota this, Toyota that; all Siena heard was kaching kaching so he has to redirect his skills to a lucrative brand, but his love stays with Audi (no reason to downgrade)

Spot on, bro. cool

2 Likes

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by yungboss(m): 8:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
Siena kindly help a south African lady on issues with her 320i, '93 model.
https://www.nairaland.com/1522078/good-day-bmw-320i-wont/1
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 29, 2013
yungboss: Siena kindly help a south African lady on issues with her 320i, '93 model.
https://www.nairaland.com/1522078/good-day-bmw-320i-wont/1

Will do, thanks bud!
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
I've had my hands pretty tied up with work, so I've had very little time to update this thread. So between Audi, Toyota and family commitments, there are less hours in each day (anyone know of ways to make 27-hour days? wink

I have not picked up the Avensis, as I'm still working out costing involved in getting her back on the road. Over time, she's been robbed of parts, so the list of missing items is rather long. And expensive.

On the other hand, there is a 2003 Toyota Hilux Single Cab AWD that could be mine, if the company that brought it in to Toyota back in July can decide who I need to speak to, with regards to acquisition. It's a 5-speed manual, and has the 2.5 I4 DOHC 16V turbo diesel engine (2KD-FTV). It has a bust propellar shaft, but it's an easy repair. The 2.5 D4-D engine makes a lowly 102 hp, though if I were to acquire it, that engine won't be in the bay for long.

The Lexus LS400's are pretty cheap to buy, and dismantle for its 4.0 V8 2xDOHC 32V, which will be the perfect donor for the Hilux...
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 14, 2013
After the Toyota Avensis fiasco, I decided to take a better look at the Toyota Hilux I've got my beady eye on.

The Avensis (pictured in some of the main picture backgrounds) would take an absolute ton of money, time and patience to get back on the road. Very common with cars that have been stripped down by someone else - you never know what's missing, until you start buying parts. Then you're too far into the project to quit, and end up spending much more than you originally anticipated.

The Toyota Hilux is actually a 2.5 I4 DOHC 16V turbo diesel. It's pretty straight, and tarted at the first turn of the key, despite having been laid up since July. I thought the battery would be long dead, but it's fine. Not a rat in sight, which is a big bonus too. It has covered about a quarter of a million miles! cheesy

I'm still in the negotiating stage, though if I don't get this one, I've made up my mind to buy one from elsewhere. Pictures below - note the black Toyota Avensis in the background of some of the shots:

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by captalex(m): 5:45pm On Dec 15, 2013
Can't wait to see him get dirty with toyota brakepads and Transmission fluid. hehe

1 Like

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 15, 2013
captalex: Can't wait to see him get dirty with toyota brakepads and Transmission fluid. hehe

Lol! Funny thing is, I do that 5 days a week.

Tomorrow, I have a clutch job on a 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser. It's all good though.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
Oga Siena am interested in a 2002 Avensis, is it advisable to buy a rhd to convert to a lhd?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 15, 2013
smartchoice: Oga Siena am interested in a 2002 Avensis, is it advisable to buy a rhd to convert to a lhd?

If you know of a competent vehicle technician in Nigeria who can do the conversion, you've seen some of his / her work and are happy with the quality of workmanship, then yes, it's a good buy. Or I could point you in the right direction of a LHD car.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
ok if the right direction involves a 2002 avensis costing less than a thousand pounds please point in that direction sire!

Siena:

If you know of a competent vehicle technician in Nigeria who can do the conversion, you've seen some of his / her work and are happy with the quality of workmanship, then yes, it's a good buy. Or I could point you in the right direction of a LHD car.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Mcoldsoja(m): 6:45am On Dec 16, 2013
smartchoice: Oga Siena am interested in a 2002 Avensis, is it advisable to buy a rhd to convert to a lhd?

Just wondering, if you add up the cost of the RHD and conversion wouldn't it buy a good LHD?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 16, 2013
^^^ It certainly would.

The way I see things, a LHD conversion is only worth doing if the car is a rare one, or a run-of-the-mill RHD model with sentimental value.

But that's just me.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by aieromon(m): 11:13am On Dec 16, 2013
smartchoice: ok if the right direction involves a 2002 avensis costing less than a thousand pounds please point in that direction sire!

Following.......
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2013
You have still not pointed me to a 2002 avensis lhd costing not more than a thousand pounds!

Siena: ^^^ It certainly would.

The way I see things, a LHD conversion is only worth doing if the car is a rare one, or a run-of-the-mill RHD model with sentimental value.

But that's just me.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 16, 2013
smartchoice: You have still not pointed me to a 2002 avensis lhd costing not more than a thousand pounds!

That's because your expectations, or budget for a LHD car are unrealistic.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 21, 2013
Well, the Toyota Hilux is officially mine. The company called back yesterday to accept my offer. They're sending an email to that effect, and they'll also send the vehicle registration document (V5). I'll then be able to register it in my name.

I'm going to be recovering the truck to my own garage sometime next week, the thread title will be ammended accordingly.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Homguy(m): 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
Siena: Well, the Toyota Hilux is officially mine. The company called back yesterday to accept my offer. They're sending an email to that effect, and they'll also send the vehicle registration document (V5). I'll then be able to register it in my name.

I'm going to be recovering the truck to my own garage sometime next week, the thread title will be ammended accordingly.
helo, but what happens to the Avensis then? Keenly following though. So much mature minds in this section.Cheers!
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
^^^The Avensis will have to wait for someone else to save her (or make an attempt to). After going through what needs to be replaced, I feel she's too far gone, beyond financial redemption.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
Homguy: helo, but what happens to the Avensis then? Keenly following though. So much mature minds in this section.Cheers!
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by abatically(m): 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
Following
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by aieromon(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
Siena:
^^^The Avensis will have to wait for someone else to save her (or make an attempt to). After going through what needs to be replaced, I feel she's too far gone, beyond financial redemption.

Is the Lexus engine diesel powered?

Is the engine bay of the Hilux big enough to accommodate the V8 engine?

Why your love for V8 engines?
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
aieromon: Is the Lexus engine diesel powered?

No, the Lexus LS430 is a gasoline 4.3 V8 2xDOHC 32V.

aieromon: Is the engine bay of the Hilux big enough to accommodate the V8 engine?

The engine bay of the Hilux is more than generous enough to accommodate the V8 engine. The engine bay is shared with the Toyota Land Cruiser, and related Lexus SUV, which both have V8 options.

aieromon: Why your love for V8 engines?

Why my love for V8 engines? I love the instant response, low-down grunt and beefy torque only a naturally-aspirated V8 motor can provide. A naturally-aspirated V6 pales in comparison, and might as well be a light-pressure turbocharged I4. To cap it all, the glorious V8 rumble. Awesome sound track, especially if running straight-through pipes. cool

1 Like

Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Lexusgs430: 1:38am On Dec 22, 2013
Siena, I always knew you secretly had an eye for the powerplant in my Lexus. @ least now I know not to attempt to race a pretend-Hilux!!
Lexus is really the ' Pursuit of Perfection '
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Nobody: 1:47am On Dec 22, 2013
Lexusgs430: Siena, I always knew you secretly had an eye for the powerplant in my Lexus. @ least now I know not to attempt to race a pretend-Hilux!!
Lexus is really the ' Pursuit of Perfection '

Lol. I could always reverse my plans, and install an Audi S8 engine instead. wink But going the Lexus / Toyota route will give me a better understanding of the Toyota brand.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Lexusgs430: 2:47am On Dec 22, 2013
Siena:

Lol. I could always reverse my plans, and install an Audi S8 engine instead. wink But going the Lexus / Toyota route will give me a better understanding of the Toyota brand.

We have enough room in our hearts, to welcome and accommodate another Brand-Toyota lover/admirer into our fold !!!!!
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Homguy(m): 2:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
Siena:

Ok, i see.
Re: Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". by Afolabs101: 7:12pm On Jan 01, 2014
Hi siena,

Very interesting project, I love the helix and am about to get one for everyday use. My only problem is that slow arse 2.7l engine.

I'm based in Lagos, do u think I could do an engine conversion here to upgrade an '08/09 hilux to a V8?

Also, what else would need to be changed in order for the vehicle to handle the increase in power? New twin exhaust system for the V8, new wheels n tyres for better handling maybe, plus any changes to the drivetrain, new gearbox etc??

I'd be very interested in carrying out this project but as I'm only a car enthusiast and not a mechanic, I'd need competent people to do the job.

Your thoughts please...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Inside Olu Okeowo's ₦2b Garage That Includes Rolls-Royces,Bentleys & M-benz / Mercedez Benz GLK 350 Abandoned By In Sapele By Unknown People (Photos) / Keke Napep With Padlocked 3 Tyres, Causes A Stir In Warri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.