Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden (40841 Views)

A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. / Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again By Ola Rotimi, A Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 7:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by spicyuzo(m): 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
Thanks Dan, This story gets more thrilling with each update you post,and to satisfy my insatiable longing for more, I will keep refreshing this thread every 20 mins.....

I'm spending my chistmas holiday here...

Cheers
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 8:43pm On Dec 24, 2013
spicyuzo: Thanks Dan, This story gets more thrilling with each update you post,and to satisfy my insatiable longing for more, I will keep refreshing this thread every 20 mins.....

I'm spending my chistmas holiday here...

Cheers
Ahahaha....will post another chapter after my meal. Now I'm gonne ask you...who is your favorite character so far?
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 9:17pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 9:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
“Nene, come here.” As feeble as Ekuku’s voice was, it still commanded great fear to the young maiden standing beside her.

Nene had so many reasons to be afraid of her frail grandmother. For one, her faithful bodyguard, who also happened to be her elder brother, never failed his mistress. Ikenna never hesitated to lash out at her once Ekuku complained of even the slightest misbehavior—the main reason two of them didn’t get along so well, or may be one of them.

Nene’s legs felt stiff as she crawled closer to Ekuku.

Ekuku did not wait for her to come close enough. “Why would you lie to the father of your friend, Nene?”

Nene did not utter a word. She ran her palm across her forehead to wipe the beads of sweat that had appeared there.

“What do you know of your friend’s whereabouts?” Ekuku asked again, after a long pause without Nene speaking, or looking like she was going to.

This time, though Ekuku’s voice had remained low, Nene caught the terrifying seriousness in it. She reacted and her lips moved apart but did not succeed in producing anything meaningful.

But Ekuku could get really impatient easily. Nene knew this. She watched her grab her walking stick. “I would have you answer me now!” Ekuku yelled.

Nene shuddered at her voice. She stepped backward as Ekuku held the stick up in the air. She wouldn’t hesitate to strike her with it if she provoked her any further.

“Please forgive me, Nne,” Nene said, sorrow and fright marring her face.

Ekuku pushed out her mouth and made that face in which her eyes seemed to sink deeper into her face and she would look uglier. “You have not answered my question, Nene,” she said. Her voice had come low again but the seriousness in it hadn’t disappeared.

Nene was aware she hadn’t answered her question; she’d only hoped a speedy apology might mellow the irate woman sitting across from her a bit before she dropped the disastrous answer. Ekuku peered at her face as if looking for signs to tell her if she was faking her sorry look. She finally pulled down her stick and a sigh broke free from Nene’s throat.

“Nenebeuwam, where is your friend?” Ekuku said.

Nene saw the malicious gravity in her voice shift for a hint of understanding and she quickly thought it was time to talk. The truth will eventually come out a, she thought. And maybe even, Ekuku’s talent for solving problems might come in handy now.

“Mother, I have to tell you something.”

Ekuku was the only parent Nene and her elder brother had known since their childhood. They still called her mother even though they had learned she wasn’t.

“Bring that chair.” Ekuku pointed her walking stick toward a stool lying at a corner close by. Nene shifted the seat close to her and sat.

After she finished telling Ekuku all that had happened, where Ola had followed Didi to, Ekuku dropped her walking stick and hung her head.

After a while of silence, she hummed. “Children,” she sighed. She shook her head and made the low clicking sounds she used to make in her throat whenever she heard something disappointing. “Ears all just for decoration.”

Nene remained still, allowing the pang of remorse Ekuku’s reaction had sent her way to settle down on her. She deserved it, she thought. But a part of her was still up and anxious to hear what the old woman would say eventually. If she would again—like most times a problem had been thrown her way—offer hopeful solution.

“What else do you know about this said woman she followed?” Ekuku finally asked.

“Nothing much. Just as I have told you.” Nene watched her shake her head again as a long hum escaped from her lips, the humming sound that said only one thing— “this is serious.”

“But, Nne, is there such a place? Where you can see and talk to the dead?”

Ekuku glanced over her granddaughter quietly, nodding. “Yes, there is. But the last ghost talker in Odu died many years ago. Even before your brother was born.”

“Hey.” Nene whimpered.

“It should serve you well to teach you children to always consult an elder before making rash decisions. For what an elder saw sitting, a child will not see standing.” Ekuku turned to herself. “What am I here for anyway?”

“I’m sorry, Nne.”

“You must tell your brother when he returns. He will call that his friend…em…Obika, the three of you will go in search of her.”

Someone who saw how Nene stared fixedly at Ekuku’s face would assume she was counting the many lines on her wrinkled face. But Nene’s mind bore a different task. It appeared, this time, Ekuku did not offer a solution hopeful enough. “But Ikenna may not return till evening,” Nene finally said.

“You will not go alone. You must wait for him to return.”

“Nnaa may come back.”
“We must tell him the truth.”

“No. I promised Ola.”

“Forget your meaningless promises, he is her father and he needs to know!” Ekuku caught sight of the fright her voice had sent to Nene’s face and lowered her voice. “Nene, we’ll be needing all the information we can get now. Nnadi may know something about the woman that could be helpful.”

Nene finally took her eyes off her grandmother’s face and stood. “I’ll be in my hut, Nne.”

“Worry not, my child, we no longer have man eaters in Odu. Probably the woman just wants some ransom to be paid and you’ll have your friend back.”

Nene took one last look at her and nodded, stiffly.

She entered her hut and dropped onto her bed, hoping again to sleep away some time so that when she woke, Ikenna would have returned. But sleep would not come anywhere close, it seemed it had suddenly became unfamiliar to her eyes.

She rose and sneaked out of the compound.

She didn’t run and was surprised at how soon she got to Onyema’s training ground. But the prince was not anywhere around. The field was as still as a grave, even the birds had not come. There was not a single sign of him.

Nene knew she couldn’t enter the well-guarded palace of Odu without the king’s knowledge—no one does. Unless of course, she was ready to take the risk of playing with the guards at the gate. But she needed Prince Onyema badly. She stood in the field and thought about this for a while.

Well aware of the possible consequences, she steeled herself and set out for the palace. If things were to go bad, she’d only pray she didn’t end up decapitated. But things will not go bad, she assured herself, they are bad already.

1 Like

Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 9:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 9:45pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by spicyuzo(m): 10:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
DanWrites:
Ahahaha....will post another chapter after my meal. Now I'm gonne ask you...who is your favorite character so far?
I can't help but fidget at every mention of my adorable Nene's name...
From the first time she was introduced, her endownments, coupled with the sweet definition of her guts fascinates me....
But then I can't also fail to recognise the unique attributes of ola both physically and character wise...
So I guess the Bff relationship btwn the two keeps me glued to this thread...
Every mention of these two characters sparks the though of adventure to me...

I'm seriously resisting the urge of proposing to Nene
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 10:53pm On Dec 24, 2013
spicyuzo:
I can't help but fidget at every mention of my adorable Nene's name...
From the first time she was introduced, her endownments, coupled with the sweet definition of her guts fascinates me....
But then I can't also fail to recognise the unique attributes of ola both physically and character wise...
So I guess the Bff relationship btwn the two keeps me glued to this thread...
Every mention of these two characters sparks the though of adventure to me...

I'm seriously resisting the urge of proposing to Nene
grin grin Everyone likes Nene. I like her too...and I must tell you, you haven't seen the best of her yet.
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by VigorousV(f): 11:12pm On Dec 24, 2013
I neva knew dis story ws dis interestin until i read d first chapter...well my best character shud b Nene bt since shes nt d only one captivatin me i wnt 2 chose my number one character,nd she is Ola.she is so captivatin nd she behaves lyk me.bt seriously i luv the way u describe d scenes its all in details.gud job weldone.bt am stil waitin 4 d nxt update sha.....
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by zainyrazzy(f): 11:15pm On Dec 24, 2013
Nyc story enjoying every bit of it more grease to ur elbow
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 8:53am On Dec 25, 2013
Vigorous V: I neva knew dis story ws dis interestin until i read d first chapter...well my best character shud b Nene bt since shes nt d only one captivatin me i wnt 2 chose my number one character,nd she is Ola.she is so captivatin nd she behaves lyk me.bt seriously i luv the way u describe d scenes its all in details.gud job weldone.bt am stil waitin 4 d nxt update sha.....

VV...Ola was the most complex character i have ever written about.

zainyrazzy: Nyc story enjoying every bit of it more grease to ur elbow

Thanx Zainy.

MERRY XMAS YOU ALL!!! Christmas special coming right up.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 8:59am On Dec 25, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 9:03am On Dec 25, 2013

1 Like

Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by MoPearl(f): 4:07pm On Dec 25, 2013
I must say that I am highly impressed and enchanted with your work. Kudos!
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 4:36pm On Dec 25, 2013
MoPearl: I must say that I am highly impressed and enchanted with your work. Kudos!

Tnx Pearl.
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by spicyuzo(m): 7:16pm On Dec 25, 2013
thanks sam, for making this day memorable with your literary flavour.....
I just wish I could flog Didi out of ola's life with my ana ......
But on a second thought, whatever doesn't kill you makes u stronger......So I think this is a fate ola cannot escape......

Once again keep up the good work sam.....
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 7:47pm On Dec 25, 2013
spicyuzo: thanks sam, for making this day memorable with your literary flavour.....
I just wish I could flog Didi out of ola's life with my ana ......
But on a second thought, whatever doesn't kill you makes u stronger......So I think this is a fate ola cannot escape......

Once again keep up the good work sam.....

Hahaha... Didi is a fox.
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 7:57pm On Dec 25, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 8:06pm On Dec 25, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 8:12pm On Dec 25, 2013

1 Like

Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by VigorousV(f): 8:37am On Dec 26, 2013
Am so so hapi Ola didnt honour her apointment.tanx 4 dis episode,u leave me asking 4 more.....so please where d nxt update na.......

1 Like

Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by Juderejoice(f): 8:43am On Dec 26, 2013
the story is as beautiful as eva. Suspense filled
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 3:20pm On Dec 26, 2013
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 3:21pm On Dec 26, 2013
+++
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 3:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
+++
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 3:37pm On Dec 26, 2013
And yes...who is as anxious to see Ola lead the Journeying Five into the magical Uwoma forest as me? grin grin grin grin
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by spicyuzo(m): 5:35pm On Dec 26, 2013
Sam this new twist is fascinating.....
I'm glad didi and her colleagues are about to get a hot chase,
And I'm even more expectant as to what lies ahead for ola and Nene.....

I concur with the thought of having Nene accompany Ola to retrieve the Stone, but I must ask that no harm befall her...

I believe well experienced constructive critiques will be glad to give this work the well deserved scrutiny,
I am but a jolly good fellow who enjoys reading a nicely written literary master piece like this one,
I don't have the required skills as this isn't my field

Keep up the good work sam, I owe you my vote
Just get nominated for something and I will vote...lol
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 5:54pm On Dec 26, 2013
spicyuzo: Sam this new twist is fascinating.....
I'm glad didi and her colleagues are about to get a hot chase,
And I'm even more expectant as to what lies ahead for ola and Nene.....

I concur with the thought of having Nene accompany Ola to retrieve the Stone, but I must ask that no harm befall her...

I believe well experienced constructive critiques will be glad to give this work the well deserved scrutiny,
I am but a jolly good fellow who enjoys reading a nicely written literary master piece like this one,
I don't have the required skills as this isn't my field

Keep up the good work sam, I owe you my vote
Just get nominated for something and I will vote...lol
Thanx Uzo...It was tough in the forest but Light eventually won, though not without wounds and scars. The dark witches of Odu may be crafty but they lacked one vital attribute...I bet you all know what that is.
As to critiquing... It doesn't require much experience... Being a lover of stories is just enough.
And brother, my name is Dan...not Sam.
Update coming soon.
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by spicyuzo(m): 7:58pm On Dec 26, 2013
DanWrites:
Thanx Uzo...It was tough in the forest but Light eventually won, though not without wounds and scars. The dark witches of Odu may be crafty but they lacked one vital attribute...I bet you all know what that is.
As to critiquing... It doesn't require much experience... Being a lover of stories is just enough.
And brother, my name is Dan...not Sam.
Update coming soon.

Apologies, I wonder why I keep calling u sam....
I guess this little cousin of mine has registered his impact on my memory than I imagined....
Sam is my little cousin..
Re: OLA: The Tale Of A Young Moon Maiden by DanWrites(m): 8:09pm On Dec 26, 2013
spicyuzo:

Apologies, I wonder why I keep calling u sam....
I guess this little cousin of mine has registered his impact on my memory than I imagined....
Sam is my little cousin..
I can imagine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Popular Works Of African Poets. / The Nanny's Daughter/ Too Young to Love / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.