Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,408 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:00 PM

Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! (13346 Views)

Kolade Akinjo: Appeal Court Upturns Tribunal’s Verdict / Real Reason I Resigned From Jonathan’s Govt As SURE-P Chairman – Christopher / Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigns? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by pullyacap: 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chair

A new chairman of the Subsidy Re- investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) may be named any time from now as Dr. Christopher Kolade is set to step down from the position this week, THISDAY can reveal today.

The newspaper learnt that already Kolade has communicated his decision to resign to President Goodluck Jonathan, who is said to be hunting for another credible Nigerian to lead the intervention committee.

A source told THISDAY that the challenge before the presidency at present is getting an immediate successor for Kolade, given the fact that his former deputy, Major- General Mammam Kontagora (rtd), who could have naturally stepped into his shoes, had died in May this year, a development which was said to have delayed the retirement of the committee chairman till this month.

According to the source, the presidency was still shopping for a replacement for Kontagora when Dr. Kolade moved to formalise his resignation in a letter.

In the letter (a copy of which was obtained by THISDAY), Kolade informed the President of his wish to step down as chairman of SURE-P latest by the end of November before his 81st birthday, which comes up in December.
The letter dated September 25 and entitled “Withdrawal from Chairmanship of the SURE-P Committee” reads: “I wish to inform you, respectfully, of my decision to resign from the position of Chairman of the SURE-P Committee.

“My desire is that the resignation should take effect as soon as Mr. President names a new chairman, but not later than the end of November, 2013.

“Mr. President, it has been a worthwhile experience for me to serve as chairman since the inauguration of the committee in February 2012. However, as I approach my 81st birthday, I wish to retire from the more time and energy consuming parts of my responsibilities and activities, one of which is the SURE-P Committee chairmanship.

“Mr. President, please accept my sincere thanks and appreciation for the opportunity to serve in the position of chairman, as well as my prayers for good progress and success for Nigeria in the years ahead.”

Kolade confirmed his resignation in an exclusive interview with THISDAY.

He stated that it was his desire to step aside before his 81st birthday, saying although he is still mentally and physically fit, time has come for him to attend to his private life and his family.

Although, the outgoing chairman cited old age and the attendant rigours of his schedule as reasons for stepping aside, a source said he may have been frustrated by the spate of rumours trailing his tenure as chairman of SURE-P despite his efforts to educate Nigerians on the true position of things.

According to a source, Kolade, who is a former chairman of Cadbury and former Nigeria’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, feels he has been ‘messed up’ and should take his leave.

He was said to have wept profusely last week at a review meeting of the committee and at one stage left the meeting before he was persuaded back.

Speaking on his resignation, he told THISDAY: “As at the time I was asked to come and take charge of the SURE-P, on the day that the President spoke to me, I was a few days away from my 79th birthday. So at the end of last year, I was 80 years old. I thank God that I’m strong, and in good health and my simple mind is still ticking over simply, but there comes a time when you are at my age that you ask yourself, is this what you should be doing now? Should you be spending your time at this moment fighting rumours and try to explain the same information many times?
“So, middle of this year, I went to the President and said to him, I want to leave but if you remember my deputy chairman then, Mamman Kontagora had just died.

So the President now agreed that he would appoint another deputy chairman and that I would work with this deputy chairman for a while so that the place is not suddenly empty. The deputy chairman dies, the chairman goes but that is what we have been working on and I have actually written a letter to the President to let him know that latest at the end of this month, I’m out of SURE-P. So, he has that letter.”

Kolade explained he decided to make his planned exit public in order to prevent another round of rumour.

“We feed on rumours and both in my family and in my religion they don’t like rumours. The letter was dated September 25, 2013. So if you hear or if rumour begins to indicate that I’m leaving, I want you to know that members of my committee already know that I’m going. So, it’s not a secret,” he stated.

When asked if his resignation was subject to the approval of the President, he explained that there is no going back on his decision to quit at the end of this month.

SOURCE: Thisdayonline
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by pullyacap: 12:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
I hope Baba Kolade don't spend the rest of his life battling to extricate himself from the negativity some aspect of SURE-P was subjected to without telling him about it in the first place
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 24, 2013
Better...the man is 80 years plus...Jonathan dey find person wey him go kill.

Let him appoint an Ijaw man in his place or scrap sure pit.... Nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Ngwakwe: 12:59pm On Nov 24, 2013
Wishing him more years to live and a blessed retirement.

9 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by jmaine: 1:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ngwakwe: Wishing him more years to live and a blessed retirement.

Best and most sensible post so far . . . .

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by pullyacap: 1:12pm On Nov 24, 2013
The SURE-P job is an albatross no one wants around his/her neck now. Owing to the fact that the intervention the money accruing from excess petroleum product pump price can hardly be felt! A man of Integrity will think twice before taking up that job as the government might not give you the free hand to deploy the resources so generated to the core areas of need.

11 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by gurnam: 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nice way to disengage....before a reputation assiduously built over years of hard work and toiling will be soiled.

9 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by kel4soft: 1:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
Keneking: Better...the man is 80 years plus...Jonathan dey find person wey him go kill.

Put an Ijaw man? We are talking of 500bn naira unaccountable for. If an Ijaw man is given the platform. Eh eh.. Dat figure na childs wey go carry wings. We better look at the savings of the Sure-P funds from 2012, and ask where has the money gone to? Since the Minister of Finance says, the ECA has been funding the SURE-P. Then, where is the saved SURE-P funds. I hope the retired man can please make a little explanation before he finally retires.

5 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by eagleeye2: 1:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
gurnam: Nice way to disengage....before a reputation assiduously built over years of hard work and toiling will be soiled.
Are sure that SURE-P (pun intended), is not already embroiled in controversies?
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by stebell(m): 1:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
Don't kno him personally, but I think he did well for de country n for Pres. GEJ.
One of de very few yu will like having in ur cabinet. Same goes to de Aviation boss.
I believe de president will bring on board someone without blemish.
@ Keneking, this has nothing to do wit where yu come frm as long as yu a capable of delivering to de people. I believe another reputable man frm his ethnic group(west) wud be appointed.
Farewell Dr. Chris Kolade

Keneking: Better...the man is 80 years plus...Jonathan dey find person wey him go kill.

Must yu peeps bring de Ijaws into ur post. I think sometimes complex is ravaging yu peeps.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by gurnam: 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2013
eagle,eye:

Are sure that SURE-P (pun intended), is not already embroiled in controversies?

It was always going to be a combustible issue right from it conception...the politicians will always have their eyes on the slush funds accruing to such self-accounting organization with such huge funds.

I believed the old man took the job thinking he can make a positive difference with the funds....but politicians will never allow you to do such with their demands...most often unreasonable.

3 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by pullyacap: 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
gurnam:

It was always going to be a combustible issue right from it conception...the politicians will always have their eyes on the slush funds accruing to such self-accounting organization with such huge funds.

I believed the old man took the job thinking he can make a positive difference with the funds....but politicians will never allow you to do such with their demands...most often unreasonable.

I agree with your summation. If one seeks to place the motive behind establishing the interventionist agency side by side with present realities/scorecard of its performance,one needs to herbalist to tell one that the agency hasn't fared well at all on its mandate

And the fact the 2015 is in the horizon,SURE-P is no doubt one of the agencies through which humongous and unverifiable contracts would be channelled with a view to building a warchest to prosecute the election. Baba Kolade must have seen through all these shenanigans and decided to call it quits now that the Ovation is still salvageable citing old-age of course as a DECOY!

4 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

"Should you be spending your time at this moment fighting rumours and try to explain the same information many times?"- Dr Kolade
The vultures and devils have chased yet another good and credible Nigerian out of govt with their relentless attacks, propaganda and rumours. And all these Just because some people dont like the face of the president or where he comes from?

Anyway, I wish Dr Christopher Kolade many more years of good and sound health

3 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
Good thing he resigned. He should rest and take care of his grankids. He has tried.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by pullyacap: 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The vultures and devils have chased yet another good and credible Nigerian out of govt with their relentless attacks, propaganda and rumours. And all these Just because some people dont like the face of the president or where he comes from?

Anyway, I wish Dr Christopher Kolade many more years of good and sound health

Resident Spin Doctor for Team GEJ, can you in all honesty say that those vultures and devils you are quick to mouth off are not the same people that pays your fees? Because a cursory look at everything SURE-P is from the beginning of time spells just one thing SURE-PIT!

SURE-P was hurriedly concocted together to bamboozle us into giving the GEJ govt a snippet of hope and believability when he knew that Nigerians aint gonna take the proposed jerk-up in fuel price in good faith. After all said and done SURE-P is a failed project owing to the fact that all it was enumerated to intervene against never came true. The Govt who promised to provide palliatives and critical infrastructure and tacitly failed to do so is the real DEVIL and carcass eating VULTURE

23 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Chiefpriest1(m): 2:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
Too little,too late. The man's hard-earned reputation is already hanging in the balance
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by idumuose(m): 2:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
This is the most reasonable post Ɣ☺u have made so far.
berem: Good thing he resigned. He should rest and take care of his grankids. He has tried.

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by citizenY(m): 2:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
Happy for this gentleman. He had no business being there in the first place, if not for this yeye government by committee manis by the presidency.

I was always on edge. In the first place, this SURE P fund is blood money, squeezed out of our hearts and I was really sad when this honourable man agreed to supervise the exercise, knowing fully well that a lot of sleaze will follow. The sh... has started hitting the fan now and I am glad he is leaving before they mess him up...

Remember Tai Solarin and Peoples Bank?

5 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 24, 2013
idumuose: This is the most reasonable post Ɣ☺u have made so far.
really? undecided undecided
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by superstar1(m): 2:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ngwakwe: Wishing him more years to live and a blessed retirement.

This is coming from you? Definitely Jesus is coming back. I'm shocked undecided
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by ballabriggs: 2:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
President Jonafraud set up SURE P. Meanwhile Jona done carry all the money run.

From day one SURE P had been a fraud designed to fail.

Though his resignation is a bit late, I must salute Mr Kolade's courage.

Errrm Dokita can you please tell us where the N500 billion is before you leave. N500 billion SURE Fraud, going, going, gooooone.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by awodman: 2:35pm On Nov 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by gurnam: 2:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
^^^^^^^^

That is why he has to leave now before there would be reason(s) for him to regret.

4 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
His resignation is overdue. How can NNPC deny the SURE-P the fund it needs to carry out its duties? If had stayed longer the failure of the SURE-P won't be blamed on the Presidency but Kolade.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by free2ryhme: 3:24pm On Nov 24, 2013
jonathan's evil cabinet and their agenda
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by hardywaltz(m): 3:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
Kudos to Ameachi. NOI to follow soon.
Stay tuned....
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by stebell(m): 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
berem: Good thing he resigned. He should rest and take care of his grankids. He has tried.

Can't believe yu are happy he's gone.
What a country.

Dr. Chris Kolade, yu will be remembered.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by stebell(m): 4:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
free2ryhme: jonathan's evil cabinet and their agenda

One day yu will be consumed in ur hate for GEJ.
What a being.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
stebell:

Can't believe yu are happy he's gone.
What a country.

What did you expect me to do? You want me to cry or hug a transformer because he resigned? Are you high on something? angry
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Brimmie(m): 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2013
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by fabulous4u: 4:27pm On Nov 24, 2013
[quote author=free2ryhme]jonathan's evil cabinet and their agenda[/quote
could u at least be more objective and less insulting in your commentary.....grow up for once
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by fabulous4u: 4:29pm On Nov 24, 2013
berem: What did you expect me to do? You want me to cry or hug a transformer because he resigned? Are you high on something? angry
he expected you to act maturely that is if u are....is that too much to ask
behave your age for once in your pathetic life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NNPC Spends ₦10 Billion On Comatose Refineries In April / Jonathan Commissions N235.5b Steel Factory / Current List Of State Commissioners Of Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.