Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,329 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:36 PM

Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! (19126 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / 2005 Audi A4 Vs 2000 Honda Accord (baby Boy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by tdie: 8:29pm On Dec 15, 2013
captalex: Since Siena has decided to relocate back to Nigeri to work on the audi brands,

Probably a typo... :-)
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 15, 2013
t-die:

Probably a typo... :-)

I hope so!
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 10:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
Kai. See the way audi looks like rocket science to me.. madt german machine.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 10:47pm On Dec 15, 2013
Def getting one before next yrs end. I think the a3 is good enough.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 16, 2013
redcliff: Def getting one before next yrs end. I think the a3 is good enough.

What model of Audi A3 are you considering?
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by peterjero(m): 7:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mr Siena your love and knowledge of the VW/AUDI marques have actually given a rethink about cars, I'm a bad Mercedes and Toyota fanboy, because of you my next car is the Audi A4 2007 wagon with manual tranny. After driving my camry for sometime I now see what peopLe say about Japmobile as dull.
Every experience I had driving someone's Audi A4 was most cherished. Audi is what I want next as a car.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 20, 2013
Peterjero, glad to hear you're moving over to the "dark side". smiley

So you're looking at the Audi A4 B6. Are you going for an AWD model?
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 4:33pm On Dec 21, 2013
Siena:

What model of Audi A3 are you considering?

I dont have a particular model in mind. Maybe 03 or so. Wanna get it for my mother. Im definitely not going for anything v6. I ve started putting my eyes on the s3 as it has alot more prestige than the a3.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 5:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
redcliff:

I dont have a particular model in mind. Maybe 03 or so. Wanna get it for my mother. Im definitely not going for anything v6. I ve started putting my eyes on the s3 as it has alot more prestige than the a3.

Hey siena, how is it going? I was thinking, whats the reliability of audi a6 1999 model. I think I am begining to like it and its seems to be cheaper than the a3 or am i not seeing well. I am seeing good deals for it here in Schweiz. Are they all V6 engines? what up with parts also? is it an expensive car to maintain? Thanks..

Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
redcliff: Hey siena, how is it going? I was thinking, whats the reliability of audi a6 1999 model. I think I am begining to like it and its seems to be cheaper than the a3 or am i not seeing well. I am seeing good deals for it here in Schweiz. Are they all V6 engines? what up with parts also? is it an expensive car to maintain? Thanks.

Hey bud!

All's well with me and mine.

The '99 Audi A6 C5 is reliable enough. It's mechanically similar to the Audi A4 and Volkswagen Passat, just bigger. Automatics can fail, manuals are very robust.

Brand new, the A6 is a lot more expensive than the A3, but depreciates faster. So a 7-year-old A6 could be bought for the same (or less) money than an A3 of the same year. I prefer the A6 though, medium-size hatchbacks with transverse engines don't appeal to me in the slightest.

The Audi A6 C5 is available with I4, V6 and V8 gasoline engines, or I4 and V6 diesels. If it's a Quattro, the I4 isn't an option, leaving you with V6 or V8 engines. No great loss, the 1.8T is a slug in a car as heavy as the A6 anyway.

Parts are readily available, and maintenance is not expensive. At least, you're not in Nigeria. The most expensive single item that is prone to failure is the ZF automatic / tiptronic transmission. The rest is built to last
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2013
Siena:

Hey bud!

All's well with me and mine.

The '99 Audi A6 C5 is reliable enough. It's mechanically similar to the Audi A4 and Volkswagen Passat, just bigger. Automatics can fail, manuals are very robust.

Brand new, the A6 is a lot more expensive than the A3, but depreciates faster. So a 7-year-old A6 could be bought for the same (or less) money than an A3 of the same year. I prefer the A6 though, medium-size hatchbacks with transverse engines don't appeal to me in the slightest.

The Audi A6 C5 is available with I4, V6 and V8 gasoline engines, or I4 and V6 diesels. If it's a Quattro, the I4 isn't an option, leaving you with V6 or V8 engines. No great loss, the 1.8T is a slug in a car as heavy as the A6 anyway.

Parts are readily available, and maintenance is not expensive. At least, you're not in Nigeria. The most expensive single item that is prone to failure is the ZF automatic / tiptronic transmission. The rest is built to last

Lol. I actually plan to ship it home o and the one i saw is manual. I like manual cars but my friends are asking me what kind of person i am. Actually, when i got my first car, Mk3 from switzerland, I was in a hurry to just get any transmission and the manual was readily available at the time and I had a hard time getting used to it but when I did, It was a blessing. Lol. Since i would be getting it or my mother, maybe I should still stick with the auto although I am sure she wont mind also but I want it to be a surprise until the vehicle is in our compound. This ZF automatic/tiptronic transmission bla bla, I would google it up to know more about it. She's not an everyday driver so I don't think it would spoil quickly in her possession.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by samir101ng(m): 10:46am On Dec 23, 2013
Sienna,

It seems your responsible for converting a lot of guys to the dark side o. Better be prepared to handle all the questions and replacement orders that are gonna come your way. Am using a Honda now but saving up for my dream Audi A4.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 1:04pm On Dec 23, 2013
samir101ng: Sienna,

It seems your responsible for converting a lot of guys to the dark side o. Better be prepared to handle all the questions and replacement orders that are gonna come your way. Am using a Honda now but saving up for my dream Audi A4.

Lol. I dont think so. He just expressed the passion he has for audi and vw cars and people felt that. Alot of people also like german cars too. I love them.maybe its because i dont like coventional things so anything uncoventional gets me. Besides, if you look for a good auto shop and you take care of your car well, it would last ages for you no matter the make.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by peterjero(m): 5:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
Siena: Peterjero, glad to hear you're moving over to the "dark side". smiley

So you're looking at the Audi A4 B6. Are you going for an AWD model?
Definitely an AWD is what I want.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by bisi16(m): 2:42pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi Mr Siena. Any advice regarding d 2002-2005 audi a4 1.8t quattro? I've read d CVT versions are bad.. Any advice wld be appreciated. #teamGermany
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by FrenchyL(m): 7:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
Siena: Hello ladies and gents!

I thought I'd start this thread. For owners, users and fans of the Four Rings, please feel free to share. Post details using the format as shown below (my own car):

Model: A8 Quattro Sport.

Model year: 2005.
Mileage: 151,000 miles.
Engine: 4.2 V8 2 x DOHC 40V.
Power: 340hp.
Torque: 440Nm.
Fuel: Gasoline.
Transmission: 6-speed Tiptronic.
Drive configuration: AWD.

Then simply state what ownership has been like, what you've done to your Audi, and what future plans you have for her. If you have more than one Audi, you can share details too. Or if you owned one in the past, or just like the brand, please feel free to contribute. We're all here to learn something new, and hopefully, we'll be all the wiser from sharing. smiley

Hello Sienna,
My wife simply loves Audi cars especially the A6 because it drives very smoothly. Can you please give me an idea of what it would cost to get a Tokumbo or a fairly used one in Lagos? Which would you recommend as a first car? A4 or A 6?

Thank you.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
bisi16: Hi Mr Siena. Any advice regarding d 2002-2005 audi a4 1.8t quattro? I've read d CVT versions are bad.. Any advice wld be appreciated. #teamGermany

I would certainly not touch a CVT model. The transmission itself is pretty robust, it's the TCU that let's it down. Still, as you're after a Quattro, you'll be looking at either a 5-speed manual, conventional automatic, or Tiptronic.

2002-2005 will be the B6 models. With the 1.8T, it IS essential fully synthetic oil is used. So history is important. Mineral oil is bad news, as the 1.8T engines are prone to sludge.

There is no service schedule for the ZF automatic transmission, Audi says "filled for life". If you believe that, then budget for a replacement tranny, or an expensive rebuild. ZF recommend replacing the ATF every 60,000 miles. With genuine Audi ATF. The regular red Dexron will kill the transmission stone dead.

Of course, if you opt for a manual, you'll have no issues.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 21, 2014
FrenchyL: Hello Sienna,
My wife simply loves Audi cars especially the A6 because it drives very smoothly. Can you please give me an idea of what it would cost to get a Tokumbo or a fairly used one in Lagos? Which would you recommend as a first car? A4 or A 6?

Thank you.

Mechanically, both the A4 and A6 are similar, with the same strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend the A4.

I don't know what else to advice you on, as you haven't given me model years or engine sizes.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by bisi16(m): 12:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Siena:

I would certainly not touch a CVT model. The transmission itself is pretty robust, it's the TCU that let's it down. Still, as you're after a Quattro, you'll be looking at either a 5-speed manual, conventional automatic, or Tiptronic.

2002-2005 will be the B6 models. With the 1.8T, it IS essential fully synthetic oil is used. So history is important. Mineral oil is bad news, as the 1.8T engines are prone to sludge.

There is no service schedule for the ZF automatic transmission, Audi says "filled for life". If you believe that, then budget for a replacement tranny, or an expensive rebuild. ZF recommend replacing the ATF every 60,000 miles. With genuine Audi ATF. The regular red Dexron will kill the transmission stone dead.

Thanks boss.. I like auto drive so ur points are well noted.. Is the 2001 version prone to sludge too? Which would u prefer? B5 or B6, considering mpg & general maintenance. I own a vw GK3
1.8 auto tranny & she's neva let me down. Just lookn to upgrade...

God bless
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by FrenchyL(m): 9:32am On Sep 22, 2014
Siena:

Mechanically, both the A4 and A6 are similar, with the same strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend the A4.

I don't know what else to advice you on, as you haven't given me model years or engine sizes.

Thank you for your reply. I am a green horn in this matter but i would go with your suggestion so A4 it is. Let me do a check online and see what i can come up with and get back to you.

Thank you once more. smiley
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by bisi16(m): 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
Siena:

Thanks boss.. I like auto drive so ur points are well noted.. Is the 2001 version prone to sludge too? Which would u prefer? B5 or B6, considering mpg & general maintenance. I own a vw GK3
1.8 auto tranny & she's neva let me down. Just lookn to upgrade...

God bless
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by DonGotti(m): 11:25am On Nov 12, 2014
Dear Siena:

I need your help and i know you can help a lot.

I have used 2 honda’s (i hate them all), I have used a grand cherokee (i loved it)

My current car is Mercedes Benz C320 (2003) I love it, its V6, supercharged (12plugs)

I want to buy another car, my simple idea is just to upgrade to a C230 or 240 v6 and super charged too but then someone introduced me to Audi..

I love the A7/A8 but its too big and long, can you recommend an Audi/year that you feel can feel like the c240/230..i need to make a decision fast…

The person buying for me is currently in germany…waiting for my decision or do you think, i should stick with benz…i might be willing to go up to 2007 for ant one you recommend.

Ps, my benz electrician said parts are the issue…i use my benz everyday and its an everyday car i want.

Thanks, hope to hear from you.

DG!
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Insanity(m): 12:28pm On Feb 17, 2015
ihimami:
I have owned quite a number of Audi Models, to me this is the best automation ever, of course that is my sentiments. With the combination of beautifully crafted exterior and interior designs with raw power and the best sound system, I am yet to see any car maker that can sway me from Audi. Most of my friends called me Mr Audi and I have won over a lot of them to share with me the excitment in owning an Audi and they are happy ever after. Below is my latest baby;

Year: 2005

Transmission: Automatic

Model: A6 Quattro

Engine: 3.2L 3123CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated

Doors: 4

Drive Type: AWD

Mileage: 233,786 miles

Drivetrain: All Wheel Drive

Sub Model: 3.2L

Horspower: 255

Bro, this might be a long straw but i'm seriously thinking of getting this beauty. love this car but i've read alot of bad reviews online on this vehicle and i'm scared of buying an unreliable car. Please, as a user, what do you think of it, as i guess you bought it used, whats the issues? Do you recommend it considering that i reside in lagos.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Insanity(m): 12:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
Siena:
Nice choice of car, Ihimami.

Have you had the timing chain replaced yet, along with the associated tensioner and idlers? Because that would appear to be the 3.2 V6's weak point.

Please, i need your candid advice for a novice. i wanna purchase Audi A6 2005 AWD 3.1L V6 as my first car. Just needed for to and fro office movement on Lagos Island. Dense traffic going and coming back from work, with rare out of state travels. Do you consider this car a good buy as you're a big fan of the automaker.

Recently, I've started reading a lot on the car to get a good grounded knowledge on the car and the user reviews online aren't encouraging. what's your view? I've sent you an email request already. I really need to communicate with you before i buy this car, my other option is Acura TL 2004/2005 which according to user reviews is highly reliable but i just love the Audi A6.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by keziah123: 12:56pm On Mar 01, 2015
Hello Siena,
I own a 2004 Honda pilot. I spend average of 5 hrs in traffic daily. I intend to buy an 2008 Audi A4 or a 2008 passat as a replacement. Kindly advice which us better in terms of reliability and mpg.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 01, 2015
keziah123:
Hello Siena,
I own a 2004 Honda pilot. I spend average of 5 hrs in traffic daily. I intend to buy an 2008 Audi A4 or a 2008 passat as a replacement. Kindly advice which us better in terms of reliability and mpg.

I would need engine size / types in all the vehicles being compared here, to give an indication of what mpg to expect.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by keziah123: 2:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
Siena:

I would need engine size / types in all the vehicles being compared here, to give an indication of what mpg to expect.
I don't really know much about passat or Audi. I would appreciate if u could recommend.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
Insanity:

Please, i need your candid advice for a novice. i wanna purchase Audi A6 2005 AWD 3.1L V6 as my first car. Just needed for to and fro office movement on Lagos Island. Dense traffic going and coming back from work, with rare out of state travels. Do you consider this car a good buy as you're a big fan of the automaker.

Recently, I've started reading a lot on the car to get a good grounded knowledge on the car and the user reviews online aren't encouraging. what's your view? I've sent you an email request already. I really need to communicate with you before i buy this car, my other option is Acura TL 2004/2005 which according to user reviews is highly reliable but i just love the Audi A6.

A car is as reliable as the owner / user wants it to be.

I have owned 40 Audi models from 1988 - 2015, including those with alleged reliability issues. I have had no major mechanical or electronic failure, bar the usual - CTS, O2 sensors, MAF, water ingress into relays and modules, failed brake calipers, clutch master and slave cylinders etc.

So pretty much issues that could afflict any vehicle, from any manufacturer. It all boils down to which shop you entrust your car to. European vehicles are more precision-engineered than their Japanese rivals, so are less tolerant to incorrect fixes. Older Japanese models will tolerate a lot of abuse, current models are on par with their Euro rivals, in that they are more sensitive to shoddy repairs.

A 2005 Honda / Acura can be run on a shoestring, and garbage gas and oil. Try the same on a 2012 Honda Accord, and your wallet will become limp in a very short time.

Audi became more high-tech, precision-engineered with finer tolerances about 5 years before Honda did, so if you're comparing for example, 2008 models of the Audi A8 and Acura TL, the results will surprise you. The Acura will be cheaper to run, and more tolerant of improper servicing / repairs. On the other hand, the Audi will drain your finances.

So it all boils down to how you wish to maintain these vehicles. If you intend to use qualified service personel, then either car is a good buy, with the Audi having marginally higher running costs. You'll however be rewarded with a precision piece of engineering, with AWD the Acura lacks.

If you intend to use roadies for your repairs, then it's a no-brainer. The Acura is the clear choice, providing you with a reasonably good car to get you from A to B with minimal worries.

Good luck, whichever car you choose.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by Insanity(m): 7:29am On Mar 02, 2015
Siena:

A car is as reliable as the owner / user wants it to be.

I have owned 40 Audi models from 1988 - 2015, including those with alleged reliability issues. I have had no major mechanical or electronic failure, bar the usual - CTS, O2 sensors, MAF, water ingress into relays and modules, failed brake calipers, clutch master and slave cylinders etc.

So pretty much issues that could afflict any vehicle, from any manufacturer. It all boils down to which shop you entrust your car to. European vehicles are more precision-engineered than their Japanese rivals, so are less tolerant to incorrect fixes. Older Japanese models will tolerate a lot of abuse, current models are on par with their Euro rivals, in that they are more sensitive to shoddy repairs.

A 2005 Honda / Acura can be run on a shoestring, and garbage gas and oil. Try the same on a 2012 Honda Accord, and your wallet will become limp in a very short time.

Audi became more high-tech, precision-engineered with finer tolerances about 5 years before Honda did, so if you're comparing for example, 2008 models of the Audi A8 and Acura TL, the results will surprise you. The Acura will be cheaper to run, and more tolerant of improper servicing / repairs. On the other hand, the Audi will drain your finances.

So it all boils down to how you wish to maintain these vehicles. If you intend to use qualified service personel, then either car is a good buy, with the Audi having marginally higher running costs. You'll however be rewarded with a precision piece of engineering, with AWD the Acura lacks.

If you intend to use roadies for your repairs, then it's a no-brainer. The Acura is the clear choice, providing you with a reasonably good car to get you from A to B with minimal worries.

Good luck, whichever car you choose.

Thanks for ya response. I really appreciate it.
I will go for the Audi A6 2005. Which trim do you recommend?

Do you know of any audi specialist in Lagos?

Please, anyone with info on Audi specialist mechanic in Lagos, share with me.
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by omar22(m): 3:01pm On Mar 02, 2015
These are my Audi collections from 1995 to 2003. A lot memories with all of them, the first coupe didn't disappoint me on the motorway from London to Swindon going flat out racing with a Toyota Supra, quite funny because the front tilts up when its at a high speed in the end the car was stolen, was found after 4 months but the insurance Co. had already paid me and I had already bought the Audi 90, the 90 also tilts when it goes past the 80mph mark so I decided to lower it with new sport springs and shocks but something was missing. The 80 Sport was lowered so low (using 39mm sport springs) only because my friend who had a BMW 320 lowered his car with the 39mm sport springs and shock system what a beauty to look at so, I went along that line, I had to change my driving style, in the end I practically damaged the car only good to drive on the motorway and not in town, I was advice to use the 45mm lowering springs next time, but the car stood out, actually at the University car park everyone knew who owns "that Audi" with the twin bore silencers, the second coupe was a joy drive but had the most boring looking dash board that I have seen, The A4 made me grow up, that's when I stopped pimping my cars, the lowering springs, twin bore silencers, Momo alloy wheels, window tinting, enhanced audio entertainment system etc... all that had to stop. I have my eyes on an A6 or A8 in the near future
Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by SeyiJay(m): 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2015
@ Siena

Great to read from you again after all these years av been an ardent fan of your great thread about the Audi - a great brand av come to love passionately: a head turner anytime you see one! I've used four Jap cars - two sedans and two SUVs so far and you've long made me fall in love with this german marque. Bros, av been dreaming of the A4 ever since and am doing all i can to own one soon. Pls stick around for your highly invaluable pieces of tips. Thumbs up, Bro!
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! by redcliff: 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
Hopefully, I would be buying this car for myself by the end of this year. I hope to specifically get the Avant because "Ambulance" are dreaded in Nigeria and I think my perception about them have changed. Not just because they are cheaper but it has its own kind of class it gives given that its a modern model and has a sleek behind. Damn!

Chei Class reloaded!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! / Michael Schumacher's Ferrari F2001 Sold For N2.8 Billion (photos) / Japanese Government Expresses Interest In Nigeria’s Auto Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.