Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,998 members, 7,799,426 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% (16046 Views)

New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? / Buy And Sell Imported Cars To AFRICA / New Age Limit For Imported Cars Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee: Economically speaking, this is the best policy to have come out from any Nigerian Government since the invention of sliced bread. The problem is that our poverty-ridden minds and 'poor man' mentality will always make us say stuffs like 'it is not the right time', 'it is ill-timed', 'what are the palliatives FG is putting in place', etc.

The benefits of these policies in my opinion may result in the following:
1. Technology transfer to improve local content
2. Employment generation for the teeming youths
3. Development of allied industries that would provide for the new auto industry would also bring about even more employment.
4. Development of new business types and models
5. Improve and increase local research
6. Increase in IGR of areas with auto production/assembly activities
7. Easy access to authentic/original spare parts
8. etc

YOU are a FOOL and clueless!!!!! Stupid / dumb Points!!! Am sure they've paid u to yarn trash!! Same thing they said when they wanna ban importation of Rice. Same youth employment scheme dey promised us during Fuel Subsidy! Same shiii dey also they keep saying. What the masses is simply saying is..get this plans started first and b4 u implement such laws!!
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by yhemster(m): 11:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
Naija Government is a joke. After reading through this policy, I saw lots of loopholes in it in which smart people can make easy cash from the new development. How can a policy for multi billion dollars sector of the economy be written in only two pages. When the policy get fully implemented, local market like innoson motors will not still be able to compete. Just Watchout
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 12:56am On Nov 26, 2013
Flyboy Zee: Economically speaking, this is the best policy to have come out from any Nigerian Government since the invention of sliced bread. The problem is that our poverty-ridden minds and 'poor man' mentality will always make us say stuffs like 'it is not the right time', 'it is ill-timed', 'what are the palliatives FG is putting in place', etc.

The benefits of these policies in my opinion may result in the following:
1. Technology transfer to improve local content
2. Employment generation for the teeming youths
3. Development of allied industries that would provide for the new auto industry would also bring about even more employment.
4. Development of new business types and models
5. Improve and increase local research
6. Increase in IGR of areas with auto production/assembly activities
7. Easy access to authentic/original spare parts
8. etc

God bless you.

This is the best decision ever made by a sitting Nigerian government. Watch our indigenous auto industry explode now. This was exactly what China did in the 1980s, such that today they are the largest vehicle manufacturer on the planet, churning out millions of cars per annum. In Nigeria we have the skilled manpower and financial wherewithal. What are we waiting for? Or were some of you guys really thinking that Nigeria plans to import cars forever? Think again!!
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Lovechyld101(m): 1:12am On Nov 26, 2013
I have lost hope in this country I prefer to be an iran citizen than nigeria First ban on okoda now increase in import tariff what do they want us the masses to ride on "foot 04, footwagon or footrover. There is a fiasco a broken down system there is fire on the roof and your pouring water on the base. This policy is a misplaced priority I feel the infrastructure should be tackled first I mean there is no sector in the country working even common agriculture, no light no security nothing how do you want this sort of policy to create jobs the problem I have with this GEJ government is trying to fly without even walking even common election we cant do properly and we want to manufacture a car we don't need policy like this to develop the local manufactured car am sure if the infastrutures are present there would be an impetus for a local manufactured car take for scenario the phone market tecno a local made phone this phone is doing well I have friends that sold their BB just to buy a tecno android phone the incentive for this came about by proper strategies so to checkmate an already competitive market and they succeeded.
May God help us in this country..
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Lovechyld101(m): 1:12am On Nov 26, 2013
I have lost hope in this country I prefer to be an iran citizen than nigeria First ban on okoda now increase in import tariff what do they want us the masses to ride on "foot 04, footwagon or footrover. There is a fiasco a broken down system there is fire on the roof and your pouring water on the base. This policy is a misplaced priority I feel the infrastructure should be tackled first I mean there is no sector in the country working even common agriculture, no light no security nothing how do you want this sort of policy to create jobs the problem I have with this GEJ government is trying to fly without even walking even common election we cant do properly and we want to manufacture a car we don't need policy like this to develop the local manufactured car am sure if the infastrutures are present there would be an impetus for a local manufactured car take for scenario the phone market tecno a local made phone this phone is doing well I have friends that sold their BB just to buy a tecno android phone the incentive for this came about by proper strategies so to checkmate an already competitive market and they succeeded.
May God help us in this country..
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Fhemmmy: 2:25am On Nov 26, 2013
ROSSIKE:

God bless you.

This is the best decision ever made by a sitting Nigerian government. Watch our indigenous auto industry explode now. This was exactly what China did in the 1980s, such that today they are the largest vehicle manufacturer on the planet, churning out millions of cars per annum. In Nigeria we have the skilled manpower and financial wherewithal. What are we waiting for? Or were some of you guys really thinking that Nigeria plans to import cars forever? Think again!!

In 1980, how many MW of electricity was China generating, What was the nature of the roads for them to be able to deliver goods and service, how was their health system to be able to take care of any accidents that might happen, what was the security situation of the citizens?
No doubt that if this is done right, it will be great but i just think we need some basic things to make this a great success.

By the way, from the list of the cars manufactured by China, tell me how many of them are in the world market, here is the list of all cars manufactured in China: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobile_manufacturers_of_China I look at the list of the rides made by China and i am not sure i wanna drive any . . .

Please note that Japan is not same as China, so let us always have facts and not just speak

3 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Fhemmmy: 2:32am On Nov 26, 2013
yhemster: Naija Government is a joke. After reading through this policy, I saw lots of loopholes in it in which smart people can make easy cash from the new development. How can a policy for multi billion dollars sector of the economy be written in only two pages. When the policy get fully implemented, local market like innoson motors will not still be able to compete. Just Watchout

GBAM! Still studying the loop holes too oh and i am sure will be many . . cheesy
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FLORIDACAR: 3:05am On Nov 26, 2013
Finally ! Jonathan about to strike the last cord that may call for uprising in Nigeria... Why is that every January our president like to enact unpopular law that target at masses.. Obasanjo as brutal and fearless as he was unable to force local made plant on us, now Mr Jonathan wanna ride on Aunty Ngozi high horse? Mrs know it all, minister and economic coordinator from HELL, need to learn from Sudan who tried this in the past... At least get opinion from street, dialogue with masses first before bringing your faulty & pointless auto industry crabs.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by onyxo76(m): 6:55am On Nov 26, 2013
i often wonder why our leaders always come up with anti people policies every now and then.
I'm not particular about the car tarrifs but why increase tariffs on imported tires? they have been using FRSC to hound us all over the place over the use of toks tires yet they want to make new tires almost unaffordable.
We used to have Micheline and Dunlop tire plants which had to relocate to ghana because they could not cope with the harsh business conditions here, doesn't this mean anything to our government?
Always trying to oppress the common man, God is watching you all.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Turbocharged: 7:21am On Nov 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

In 1980, how many MW of electricity was China generating, What was the nature of the roads for them to be able to deliver goods and service, how was their health system to be able to take care of any accidents that might happen, what was the security situation of the citizens?
No doubt that if this is done right, it will be great but i just think we need some basic things to make this a great success.

By the way, from the list of the cars manufactured by China, tell me how many of them are in the world market, here is the list of all cars manufactured in China: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobile_manufacturers_of_China I look at the list of the rides made by China and i am not sure i wanna drive any . . .

Please note that Japan is not same as China, so let us always have facts and not just speak

U really know a million reason why somtn will not succeed, the same way u know millions of reasons u will not succeed.
Sorry for U.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Qc1(m): 8:17am On Nov 26, 2013
iterator25: www.nairaland.com/attachments/1374659_20131021003637295_jpg46c2adbff508fc26adb257f9dc52e208

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1374658_20131021003703968_jpg75216701e3db11d569ad29d49a9839be

WHY can't the Aviation minister buy this model SUV from Innoson, or better yet, add another N.5m to make it bullet proof rather than paying N255m for the BMW? Who's kidding who? How many staffs from the Presidency or House of assembly is driving Innoson vehicles?

By the way, Innoson rocks! I just wish this policy will work for Nigerians rather than works for only the government to loot again as usual!?

Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to relocate as planned because I don't see myself taking BRT or paying 70% on my X6 for looters. I will try to sell it and but a customized Innoson SUV.

. grin
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Gpattern(m): 11:44am On Nov 26, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
How many unemployed or poor people have you seem planning to buy a car? It is the rich and middle class that buy cars. What the unemployed and poor masses need is not cheap cars but jobs, jobs, jobs, and more jobs. That is exactly what the policy intends to do- create more jobs locally.
plz how do you define middle class... Because there is no middle class in nigeria. Most nigeria live below two dollar a day and you call them middle class. The taxi drivers in nigeria and the middle class car own which is more? The policy is good bv wrongly timed with a wrong intent.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by bfire(m): 2:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
ROSSIKE:

God bless you.

Please, stop this exaggeration.

I wish to fly in 9ja made planes and even travel the moon in 9ja made rocket. That's my dream for 9ja.

The reality is, of what advantage are made in 9ja cars-if ever they even plan of making one- when we have other comparative advantage.

This China you mentioned started from making tools and they realize that their advantage is not in anything automobile.

The emphasis is on CAR ASSEMBLY. Ask yourself who owns the ace on this. We've been through it before what achievement filtered down to us.

Please, stop deluding yourself about technology transfer. Is either you steal it, copy ( like China) or develop your own idea.

The policy frame work is idealistic. Nevertheless, we should have phased this tariff in, say for a period of 5years.

The way the government is forcing this down the throat of 9jarians is the problem. they should immediately start using this locally assembled cars to see and feel everything ordinary 9ja feel

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Thomsbuky(m): 3:27pm On Nov 26, 2013
omanzo02:

This regime is very necessary, if the dealers are smart they have to encourage their brand manufacturers to set up a depot in Nigeria for a start, I give u an example, in most European countries the manufacturer have depots where they don't have factories or assembly plants and still enjoy favourable tax and tarief regime, cars appear cheaper in Germany but when I bring that car to Belgium to register for use I will be paying more than I am supposed to if I had bought that same model in Belgium.

Nigeria has become a big market for cars, it's a way of asking the manufacturer to directly invest in the country if they want benefit in expanding their brand.

For now it difficult for our pocket but it benefit the country in the long run.

I agree with some of the point you are putting across. However, we need to ask ourselves and government what kind of Business environmental factors in terms of infrastructure , sociological, technological factors in place in Nigeria for these multinational firms to operate in Nigeria? These firms are not charity organisation, They want to operate in favourable environment (less cost) in order to maximise profit and retention back to their home base. Hence rise of Asia tigers like ( china, Indian, Malaysia etc) are good sources for western countries to produce, assemble their capital goods. Take a look at these two factor car manufacturing plant will need 24 hours adequate power supply, not generator as it will make the price of local assemble cars very expensive to compete with foreign import cars in the long runs. Transportation of finished cars to various states required good haulage network system by Road, Sea, rail and network of good road. Do Nigeria have good roads network and haulage transportation in place? to transfer cars safely to buyer in Samfara in north or Abakaliki in East? If we can't provide these basic 2 factors, how on earth can we compete with Asian countries in terms of these facilities for company like toyota, Honda, ford, to produce at cheaper rate in order to assemble cars in Nigeria?. What happen to Volkswagen of Nigeria Plant, Peugeot Automobile of Nigeria? If we can provide answer to these questions then we half way home. One of these plant folded up and other operating partially as importation of car parts dealer. due to our hostile inadequate business environment in Nigeria. Our government need to carryout out research, investigate and provide answer to failure of these two plants before we wasted another scare resources embarking in another meaningless elephant project.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Fhemmmy: 4:29pm On Nov 26, 2013
Turbocharged:

U really know a million reason why somtn will not succeed, the same way u know millions of reasons u will not succeed.
Sorry for U.

I Dont engage in exchange of words with people like you . . . But your words are for you, i am sure (Talking of success, what does it mean to you?)
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 11:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
uba okeke:

YOU are a FOOL and clueless!!!!! Stupid / dumb Points!!! Am sure they've paid u to yarn trash!! Same thing they said when they wanna ban importation of Rice. Same youth employment scheme dey promised us during Fuel Subsidy! Same shiii dey also they keep saying. What the masses is simply saying is..get this plans started first and b4 u implement such laws!!

Thanks for calling me a fool. At least I am a fool that knows my basic economics, but you are a wise person that has more folly than the fool. There is always light at the end of a dark tunnel. Light usually appears after the darkest part of the night. For things to get better, there must be change, and with this change some people would suffer while others benefit. If you are holding the short end of the stick and is feeling agrieved, then go to Zimbabwe and open a shop. Every Government must try to protect its local economy/industries and you don't do that by importing fairly used items and say its because of poor people. I pray you grow old enough to understand basic economics and the little games of life. Amen.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by c0274309: 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2014
Wilife: ...Tried reading thru a couple of comments here....
Good write ups no doubt....
By way of background...I studied Economics at graduate level and also an accountant....
Lived in the States a couple of years and back in Naija....
When you look at some of the policies folks in govt throw around...u feel sad for this country....This is one of those nights for me....
Yet again, we've just made the day for the folks in Benin and Togo ports....
Tariffs have never been known to work in countries with our kind of deficiencies....
The economic model we are trying to put in place is dead on arrival....
If you studied the telco sector well, u will notice how privatisation of GSM licenses opened the market space...
The simple blocks are ....fix your power sector...embark on massive infrastructural development that will discourage the need for cars on the road....fix the rails...introduce speed rail....establish lasting reforms at the ports....fix your porous borders...adopt and follow through a policy that govt and its agencies will patronize local manufacturers and before u know it...the intended objective will be met...
Just sad to see very well educated folks in govt missing the points...
U just wonder why everything has to be different in this country....
Very sad...

Absolutely excellent points!!! Working within the automotive industry in the UK, it is more than clear the model taken by the Nigerian government is dead on arrival. The basic ground work on economic stability, local manufacturing suppliers, stamping and moulding sites, engine sites, product development, transportation & electrical infrastructure and investment longevity does not currently exist to support Nigeria becoming a major car manufacturing country. We're still a long way to this and established car manufacturers readily available to invest in Nigeria are too far and few between. Sorry but approach is clearly flawed with hidden agendas!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A 2007 Nigerian Used Honda Accord For Sale...1.2m / 2011 Model Toyota Highlander Limited Used Fully Loaded Selling Cheap / **Angelinvestor**Of NL Pre-Order 2003 Infiniti Fx35 With DVD From Fhemmmy-HERE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.