Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% (16052 Views)

New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? / Buy And Sell Imported Cars To AFRICA / New Age Limit For Imported Cars Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 1:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
Economically speaking, this is the best policy to have come out from any Nigerian Government since the invention of sliced bread. The problem is that our poverty-ridden minds and 'poor man' mentality will always make us say stuffs like 'it is not the right time', 'it is ill-timed', 'what are the palliatives FG is putting in place', etc.

The benefits of these policies in my opinion may result in the following:
1. Technology transfer to improve local content
2. Employment generation for the teeming youths
3. Development of allied industries that would provide for the new auto industry would also bring about even more employment.
4. Development of new business types and models
5. Improve and increase local research
6. Increase in IGR of areas with auto production/assembly activities
7. Easy access to authentic/original spare parts
8. etc

4 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Reptyle(m): 2:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
I hope they will also build more prisons to house the expected new breed of car smugglers that will operate across our porous borders. undecided

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee: Economically speaking, this is the best policy to have come out from any Nigerian Government since the invention of sliced bread. The problem is that our poverty-ridden minds and 'poor man' mentality will always make us say stuffs like 'it is not the right time', 'it is ill-timed', 'what are the palliatives FG is putting in place', etc.

The benefits of these policies in my opinion may result in the following:
1. Technology transfer to improve local content
2. Employment generation for the teeming youths
3. Development of allied industries that would provide for the new auto industry would also bring about even more employment.
4. Development of new business types and models
5. Improve and increase local research
6. Increase in IGR of areas with auto production/assembly activities
7. Easy access to authentic/original spare parts
8. etc

Isn't that what they said about the textiles, rice, vegetable oil, leather and shoes? And numerous other products?
By the way, don't you need stable electricity to run any type of manufacturing plants?
Don't you need good roads to move your goods? Put all these things in place and investors will come. You don't need to strangulate the poor in your society in a futile hope that they will just start buying new cars.
If they could afford new cars, there wouldn't be a market for used cars in the first place.

5 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by mekaboy(m): 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
I would only support this policy of we had a honest govt that has genuine intentions.

but this is another avenue to milk Nigerians. the extra income generated from this will not be accounted for. customs will steal their part and the rest will be shared by the legislooters.

until this govt is ready to lead by example and fight corruption, the should forget all these policies that make the masses sacrifice for their enrichment.

I would have suggested that the exra duty be set aside for road maintainance across the nation. that way you are paying extra for importing cars you will know the funds will be used to fix roads.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by omanifrank(m): 3:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
na WA
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:
[b]We have past this road before: The main thing is that the Fed Govt is dead broke! They are just looking for any means to sustain their ever increasing quest for corrupt enrichment. Or how else can one describe the slamming of high tariff on imported cars without first of all addressing the gap that may crop up due to the policy? Why not do a gradual increase on tariff while allowing the local manufacturers time to do the needful?

What happened to the tariff slammed on rice importation? Has it helped boost local production thereby creating jobs? Are Nigerians not still dependent on foreign rice for sustenance albeit on higher price?

What happened to the Fuel subsidy removal? Has it led to the building of local refineries? Has it created Jobs as we were tutored? Where is the SURE-P? Has it created any new job?

Look all these are just wicked policies targeted at the poor masses, no matter how they are coated by Ngozi Okonjo! The rich and the corrupt would always find their way.

Jonathan, we have had enough of your cluelessness angry angry [/b]

What course did you read in school? I sincerely think economics should be included as compulsory for all in Universities, so people can have a clue of effects of policies and understand the short run and long run effects. You and all those liking your post are clueless. For how long will you keep enjoying an unsustainable part. Importation is slavery. Outside the country, I have driven choice cars for half the price of some tokunbo cars here. If there will be shortage of cars next year, every one should hold on to what they have till the local manufacturers meet up in production. There is never an easy way to policies like this in a country like Nigeria. Good step Jonathan..... meanwhile, Dangote's refinery coming up soon is a long term effect of the subsidy that was removed from pms. Employment is the only way to reduce crime and sustain the economy. Local manufacturing/assemblage is the way forward.

3 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Lilimax(f): 3:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
Dominiquez: Anamco and PAN have been assembling cars for ages, what are the state of these companies as they are dying off.
Innoson is a nig company that moulds and couples vehicles here.

All I am asking govt is to give more fund to Innoson, Anamco and PAN to increase their production rate to meet demand.
These move will increase the rate of employment.

Goodluck Nigeria
Well said!
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by scribble: 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
Aganga didn't reason this one well at all.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Scream(m): 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
These people keep place the cart before the horse! Don't they have people that love them around them to show them why they don't achieve results (as common sense seems uncommon up there)?

Looking @ the opposition (APC), one can only shed tears...
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by crackhouse(m): 3:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
naija, every new year, price of things increases and workers salary still remain the same. tell me how naija people will cope, there is no money in the national treasury , the money has been squandered. so nigerians must pay in one way or the other to replace the stolen money. make una no vex o, that one na new year fresh air on the way.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 3:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
Aigbofa:

Isn't that what they said about the textiles, rice, vegetable oil, leather and shoes? And numerous other products?
By the way, don't you need stable electricity to run any type of manufacturing plants?
Don't you need good roads to move your goods? Put all these things in place and investors will come. You don't need to strangulate the poor in your society in a futile hope that they will just start buying new cars.
If they could afford new cars, there wouldn't be a market for used cars in the first place.

There is nowhere in the world where the poor buy cars. Not even in countries where their GDP is greater than the entire Nigerian annual budget. Poor people are not after cars, they call it luxury. Poor people are not after cars, they are after food. So stop crying wolf, where there is none.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by gen2briz(m): 3:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
If them like make them increase am by 120%, I must go cotonu go buy next year. ....#hisssssssss
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by mrborntodoit: 3:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:
[b]We have past this road before: The main thing is that the Fed Govt is dead broke! They are just looking for any means to sustain their ever increasing quest for corrupt enrichment. Or how else can one describe the slamming of high tariff on imported cars without first of all addressing the gap that may crop up due to the policy? Why not do a gradual increase on tariff while allowing the local manufacturers time to do the needful?

What happened to the tariff slammed on rice importation? Has it helped boost local production thereby creating jobs? Are Nigerians not still dependent on foreign rice for sustenance albeit on higher price?

What happened to the Fuel subsidy removal? Has it led to the building of local refineries? Has it created Jobs as we were tutored? Where is the SURE-P? Has it created any new job?

Look all these are just wicked policies targeted at the poor masses, no matter how they are coated by Ngozi Okonjo! The rich and the corrupt would always find their way.

Speak on your behalf next time.
@topic: nice move by the president, our people have resulted to importation as the major source of making money . Let us invest around us instead of investing in foreign products . If we develop our industries, there would be jobs. Don't expect the govt. To do everything for individuals . Private local and national investments are the major improvements Nigeria and Nigerians need......
Poor people don't buy cars except for transportation investments and the govt is in the process of scrapping those means of transportation hereby encouraging a bus system that's works . This is the way forward ....... Nigeria is not dumping ground for used cars.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by awodman: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:

The target year on achieving self sufficiency on rice production is 2015...and so far alot has been done..alot of Rice mills have springed up and even dry season Farming has been boosted in many parts of the north...alot of peeps whr gainfully engaged during this period..Most of this jobs on farming are not permanent but seasonal

The problem with folks like you is that you are either short of Info or sees it and deliberately turn the other way
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
i love this gringringrin haters diiiiiiiiiiiiie! tonguetonguetongue
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee:

There is nowhere in the world where the poor buy cars. Not even in countries where their GDP is greater than the entire Nigerian annual budget. Poor people are not after cars, they call it luxury. Poor people are not after cars, they are after food. So stop crying wolf, where there is none.

I am not surprised. After all, it was a Nigerian minister who said telephone is a luxury not meant for poor people. Nigeria must be the only country in the world Where ten to fifteen year old rickety vehicles are considered a luxury.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by deor03(m): 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2013
This is an excellent policy. I have been hoping for this for a long time.

In south Africa, over 90% of the cars driven are made locally. Inported cars are not affordable for ordianry south Africans. This has created a whole lot of job and forex for them , as they export to the whole of SADC and some to South America

So many years back, India had this policy and this encouraged the likes of TATA.

While Nigerians are complaining, some smart foreigners are concluding plans to set up their plant locally.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2013
9jagirl4re: Innoson Cars Manufactured in Nigeria a Nigerian brand should be the hottest cars in this country if we were not such crabs embarassed
gringrincheesy i too love thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by otokx(m): 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
As usual the policy will affect the poor man, while the rich will do the needful and get import waiver to import bullet proof vehicles.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
mitwitdot:

U forget that some people are struggling to raise money ro buy the present tokunbos. These manufacturers av not evn sited any plant here...hw many years b4 they setrle down? Is there infrastructure for them to begin production? Please its an ill thought move.
is it a must to own a car when you dont have the money undecided
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by otokx(m): 3:36pm On Nov 25, 2013
deor03: This is an excellent policy. I have been hoping for this for a long time.

In south Africa, over 90% of the cars driven are made locally. Inported cars are not affordable for ordianry south Africans. This has created a whole lot of job and forex for them , as they export to the whole of SADC and some to South America

So many years back, India had this policy and this encouraged the likes of TATA.

While Nigerians are complaining, some smart foreigners are concluding plans to set up their plant locally.

South Africa has over 50000 mega watts of power, lets stop deceiving ourselves in this country. Nigeria does not have up to 5000 mega watts of power, no road, so how then will car assembly lines start up?

3 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:37pm On Nov 25, 2013
fabulous4u:
is it poor people that buy cars and is it not a shame that price of tokunbo cars here is almost the same as price of new cars in manufacturing countries.....please support what is good without sentiments
tell himKgringringrin
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
ba7man: How many people could afford the Tokunbos in the first place.....let alone brand new??
is it a must to drive a car undecided the decision have been made nd there is nothing you can do abt it tongue
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by iterator25: 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
Catalyst101:

Pls how can I get the contact of Innoson motors and do they have a show room in Lagos. I think I like this.
that's the company's problem, poor marketing strategy. sad .. However, you can get more info on their website innosonivm.com
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
awodman:
The target year on achieving self sufficiency on rice production is 2015...and so far alot has been done..alot of Rice mills have springed up and even dry season Farming has been boosted in many parts of the north...alot of peeps whr gainfully engaged during this period..Most of this jobs on farming are not permanent but seasonal

The problem with folks like you is that you are either short of Info or sees it and deliberately turn the other way

Thank you very much for that insight. From December, 2012 till date, I haven't bought any of those foreign long grained thai rice. I usually buy well processed and packaged local rice from either Ebonyi (Ebony Rice) or Benue (they are varied, so I can't categorically remember the name of any of the brands). They are so white, tasty and have very sweet aroma that makes one hungry when the rice is being cooked. Its been a while I've seen rice weevils since I started buying local.

Yet people that don't know the very basis of national economics are saying they don't want poor people to buy cars. These things are done to allow us (you & me) get avenues and opportunities to develop our entrepreneural spirit in order to be able to produce goods and services to fill in the vacuum that may be purposely created.

3 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
ogb5: How does this affect a Nigerian living abroad that wants to relocate to Nigeria with his cars.

We he be made to pay duty on his own used car? They need to clarify this change in policy.

Telling a Nigerian to pay 70% duty on his belongings on coming home is equivalent to telling him to remain abroad forever.
get out! tongue who forced you to travel abrod? how is that our concernundecided
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
Brimmie:
Ori e o pe! undecided
MUGU sad
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by sicily4u: 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
Emytex boy:
get out! tongue who forced you to travel abrod? how is that our concernundecided

i think you are benefiting from this bad government, one way or the other, becos u sound so so stup1d
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
Aigbofa:

I am not surprised. After all, it was a Nigerian minister who said telephone is a luxury not meant for poor people. Nigeria must be the only country in the world Where ten to fifteen year old rickety vehicles are considered a luxury.
In th East, where most of the brand new cars we buy come from, poor people don't buy cars. Even in the west, where we say they are developed, the poor don't buy cars. For emphasis sake, mention any country in the world where poor people buy cars, even the rickety 10-20 years old cars that are not luxury to you, mon ami.

Your rants and rattles only points to one fact. Things are economically getting better in Nigeria.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Is The Engine Number For A 2001 Camry Located? / A 2007 Nigerian Used Honda Accord For Sale...1.2m / 2011 Model Toyota Highlander Limited Used Fully Loaded Selling Cheap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.