Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,028 members, 7,803,457 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

"Why Are There So Many Denominations?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" (4280 Views)

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / So Many Denominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
Bill Hicks said: "There are over 30,000 denominations across continents and countries. There are fundamental elements being disagreed upon. And yet you're all reading the same book and all claiming to be possessed by God himself. It's nonsense."

I don’t think that there are two human beings on the face of this earth that could fully agree about anything. I’m sure you would agree with that. We disagree about politics, about what foods are the best to eat, about two human beings not being able to agree, which is the best sport, whose teams are best, about why certain things happened in history, and a host of other different issues.

This carries over into religion. While there are many denominations that disagree about how much water to baptise with, when or when not to take communion, about church discipline, there are a number of essential doctrines almost all of them agree upon—and that is that Christ died for our sins and rose again on the third day. So I wouldn’t use the fact that human beings disagree on some issues as an excuse for you to stay in your sins. On Judgment Day you will have to give an account of yourself to God, no one else.

Watch -> www.EvolutionVsGod.com
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Acidosis(m): 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
GBAM!
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Olugbenger(m): 4:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Interesting post!

2 Likes

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 7:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Bill Hicks said: "There are over 30,000 denominations across continents and countries. There are fundamental elements being disagreed upon. And yet you're all reading the same book and all claiming to be possessed by God himself. It's nonsense."

I don’t think that there are two human beings on the face of this earth that could fully agree about anything. I’m sure you would agree with that. We disagree about politics, about what foods are the best to eat, about two human beings not being able to agree, which is the best sport, whose teams are best, about why certain things happened in history, and a host of other different issues.

This carries over into religion. While there are many denominations that disagree about how much water to baptise with, when or when not to take communion, about church discipline, there are a number of essential doctrines almost all of them agree upon—and that is that Christ died for our sins and rose again on the third day. So I wouldn’t use the fact that human beings disagree on some issues as an excuse for you to stay in your sins. On Judgment Day you will have to give an account of yourself to God, no one else.

Watch -> www.EvolutionVsGod.com

Hmm! So there are "essential" and non-essential doctrines.

You meantion that Christ's death and resurrection is the essential doctrine, meaning all other doctrines of Christ are non-essential.

Where did Jesus tell you this?

Abi are you teaching from you own wild imagination?
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Emusan(m): 8:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
italo:

You meantion that Christ's death and resurrection is the essential doctrine, meaning all other doctrines of Christ are non-essential.

What I've discovered in you was that you always fought a fight of carnal doctrine rather than allowing the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Which is too bad for a real follower of our Lord Christ Jesus.

Has it's been stressed out in the Op, the problem lies on people like you who always fight "my Church is better than yours"

This is what Apostle Paul was trying to say in
1 Cor 3:10-15 AMP "According to the grace (the special endowment for my task) of God bestowed on me, like a skillful architect and master builder I laid [the] foundation, and now another [man] is building upon it. But let each [man] be careful how he builds upon it,

[size=14pt]11For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is [already] laid, which is Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).[/size]

12But if anyone builds upon the Foundation, whether it be with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,

13The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.

14If the work which any person has built on this Foundation [any product of his efforts whatever] survives [this test], he will get his reward.

15But if any person's work is burned up [under the test], he will suffer the loss [of it all, losing his reward], though he himself will be saved, but only as [one who has passed] through fire."

According to these scriptures have you ever asked yourself some simple questions like;
*Am I truly on Christ's foundation?
*What are those things I have made to know about Christ when I first begin and what have I found new in Christ lately/recently?
*Am I truly interpreting the scriptures accordingly or based on what I have made to believed? e.t.c

Bro. This race is a personal one not in respect of our parents nor pastor/Rev/Bishop

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the swift fellowship of the Holyspirit be with us all.

1 Like

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Enigma(m): 8:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
Augustine of Hippo quoted from Roman Catholic source: http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/160326.htm

"For men who wished to be built upon men, said, "I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas," who is Peter. But others who did not wish to be built upon Peter, but upon the Rock, said, "But I am of Christ." And when the Apostle Paul ascertained that he was chosen, and Christ despised, he said, "Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" And, as not in the name of Paul, so neither in the name of Peter; but in the name of Christ: that Peter might be built upon the Rock, not the Rock upon Peter."

smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
italo:

When I said "there are number of essential doctrines" does that say that there is only one essential doctrine? How do you read? undecided
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
Why So Many Denominations?

In the religious world today there are many different religious groups. Each has its own peculiar name, organization, doctrine, form of worship, and plan of salvation. Why are there so many religious groups? Nearly all Bible students agree that in the New Testament there was only one church belonging to Jesus. Denominations did not exist. But today there are hundreds of churches all claiming to believe in God and most claiming to follow Jesus. Where did they all come from?

Could it be that people in all these churches are pleasing to God and are following Jesus? In 1 Corinthians 1:10 Paul rebuked the Corinthian church because there was division among the members there. If God condemned that division, why would He overlook the fact that far greater division exists today? In verse 13 Paul asked, "Is Christ divided?" The clear answer is: No, Christ is not divided! Jesus does not contradict Himself. He does not teach one thing to one person, and then teach the opposite to someone else. But the modern denominations do contradict one another. How then can they all be following Jesus? Jesus is not divided, so denominational division did not come from Jesus. Where then did it come from?

In Acts 20:29,30 the apostle Paul spoke to a group of bishops and made this prediction: "...after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves." After Paul left, there would be apostasy among God's people. Religious leaders in the church would pervert or change the gospel in order to get a following for themselves.

We urge you to consider the evidence that the existence of modern denominational division fulfills these prophecies. Modern denominational division came about over a period of hundreds of years because men departed from God's will.

http://www.gospelway.com/topics/church/denomination-origins.php

1 Like

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
frosbel:

See why some people fail without difficulties. The question says; "why are there so many denominations?" it didn't say; "why are there so many religious groups," the difference is clear.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

See why some people fail without difficulties. The question says; "why are there so many denominations?" it didn't say; "why are there so many religious groups," the difference is clear.

You are as usual being disingenuous , you know what he meant, religious groups or denominations, no difference, same thing.

guilty conscience smiley
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
frosbel:

You are as usual being disingenuous , you know what he meant, religious groups or denominations, no difference, same thing.

guilty conscience smiley

I expected you who's mother's tongue is English to understand this. What this thread is dealing with is about the different Christian denominations but with your glasses you will see different religious groups such as Hindus, Buddhists, Islam etc. Denominations is different from religious groups. The difference is clear. cool
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

I expected you who's mother's tongue is English to understand this. What this thread is dealing with is about the different Christian denominations but with your glasses you will see different religious groups such as Hindus, Buddhists, Islam etc. Denominations is different from religious groups. The difference is clear. cool

The person who wrote the article I posted deliberately used the title 'Why So Many Denominations?' , so he must have known what he was talking about.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
frosbel:

The person who wrote the article I posted deliberately used the title 'Why So Many Denominations?' , so he must have known what he was talking about.

That is why you shouldn't be swallowing every garbage posted on the internet hook, line and sinker. tongue
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

That is why you shouldn't be swallowing every garbage posted on the internet hook, line and sinker. tongue

You will come to the light when you stop following MEN and their institutions, or when you become deinstitutionalized - cool
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
frosbel:

You will come to the light when you stop following MEN and their institutions, or when you become deinstitutionalized - cool

But you can see where blindly following whatever anyone posts on the internet has led you - the pits. shocked
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
"Satan, the god of all dissension, stirreth up daily new sects, and last of all, which of all other I should never have forseen or once suspected, he has raised up a sect such as teach… that men should not be terrified by the Law, but gently exhorted by the preaching of the grace of Christ."

— Martin Luther saw what was coming.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by jahbiz: 12:48am On Nov 26, 2013
The number of denominations in Nig alone is enough to cause second Civil War and third World War. Walai
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 7:54am On Nov 26, 2013
Emusan:

What I've discovered in you was that you always fought a fight of carnal doctrine rather than allowing the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Which is too bad for a real follower of our Lord Christ Jesus.
Which carnal doctrine have I fought for and how am I not allowing Christ's word dwell in me richly?
Emusan: Has it's been stressed out in the Op, the problem lies on people like you who always fight "my Church is better than yours"
Excuse me! Where did I mention "Church" here?
Emusan: According to these scriptures have you ever asked yourself some simple questions like;
*Am I truly on Christ's foundation?
*What are those things I have made to know about Christ when I first begin and what have I found new in Christ lately/recently?
I have asked myself...and what do these have to do with my question to the OP?
Emusan: *Am I truly interpreting the scriptures accordingly or based on what I have made to believed? e.t.c

Exactly why I'm asking the OP if Jesus told us there are "essential" and non-essential doctrines. So that I dont interpret scriptures based on what I've been made to believe by Olaadegbu and Emusan.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 7:59am On Nov 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

When I said "there are number of essential doctrines" does that say that there is only one essential doctrine? How do you read? undecided

Here's what you said:
there are a number of essential doctrines almost all of them agree upon—and that is that Christ died for our sins and rose again on the third day.

Do you mind telling if Christ told us that some of God's doctrines are essential while the rest are non essential?

Also can you list these "essential doctrines" so that Children of God will not ignore them at their own peril?

1 Like

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 8:07am On Nov 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU: "Satan, the god of all dissension, stirreth up daily new sects, and last of all, which of all other I should never have forseen or once suspected, he has raised up a sect such as teach… that men should not be terrified by the Law, but gently exhorted by the preaching of the grace of Christ."

— Martin Luther saw what was coming.

How ironic! Martin Luther himself raised a sect that led to tens of thousands of sects.

And Satan is "the god of all dissension," who "stirreth up daily new sects."
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Enigma(m): 8:19am On Nov 26, 2013
Whatever Luther and even Calvin may be accused of, they rightly identified a rot which even leading Roman Catholics including one "pope" Adrian VI admit.

For now, here is one example from a leading Roman Catholic apologist.

"For some years before Luther and Calvin there was in the church almost no religion left." (according to him, because the papacy had almost eliminated Christianity)

per "Cardinal" Bellarmine.

smiley

2 Likes

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 26, 2013
Enigma: Whatever Luther and even Calvin may be accused of, they rightly identified a rot which even leading Roman Catholics including one "pope" Adrian VI admit.

For now, here is one example from a leading Roman Catholic apologist.

"For some years before Luther and Calvin there was in the church almost no religion left." (according to him, because the papacy had almost eliminated Christianity)

per "Cardinal" Bellarmine.

smiley
Nice post bro.Italo should chew on this for a whilecheesy
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Enigma(m): 11:37am On Nov 26, 2013
Bidam: Nice post bro.Italo should chew on this for a whilecheesy

To be honest bros, I don't really want to fight these Roman Catholic people (or anyone for that matter). But the conceit, which is even based on fraud and forgeries, had become too much! wink

smiley
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 1:55pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bidam: Nice post bro.Italo should chew on this for a whilecheesy

Unfortunately, Italo doesn't chew on what a sycophant thinks is "nice."

Italo chews on TRUTH.

You should try it too...always tastes good.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
Enigma:

To be honest bros, I don't really want to fight these Roman Catholic people (or anyone for that matter). But the conceit, which is even based on fraud and forgeries, had become too much! wink

smiley
Nah..this is not fighting, you are just saying the gospel truth bro...
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2013
italo:

Unfortunately, Italo doesn't chew on what a sycophant thinks is "nice."

Italo chews on TRUTH.

You should try it too...always tastes good.
What is truth? That your pope is infallible
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
frosbel:

italo:

Here's what you said:

Do you mind telling if Christ told us that some of God's doctrines are essential while the rest are non essential?

Also can you list these "essential doctrines" so that Children of God will not ignore them at their own peril?

italo:

How ironic! Martin Luther himself raised a sect that led to tens of thousands of sects.

And Satan is "the god of all dissension," who "stirreth up daily new sects."

This article satisfies all your objections including that of the OP.

"In the early 1500s, a German monk named Martin Luther was so conscious of his sins that he spent up to six hours in the confessional. Through study of the Scriptures he found that salvation didn't come through anything he did, but simply through trusting in the finished work of the cross of Jesus Christ. He listed the contradictions between what the Scriptures said and what his church taught, and nailed his "95 Thesis" to the church door in Wittenberg, Germany.

Martin Luther became the first to "protest" against the Roman church, and thus he became the father of the Protestant church. Since that split, there have been many disagreements about how much water one should baptise with, how to sing what and why, who should govern who, etc, causing thousands of splinter groups. Many of these groups are convinced that they alone are right. These have become known as Protestant "denominations." Despite the confusion, these churches subscribe to certain foundational beliefs such as the deity, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his (2 Timothy 2:19)
"

"Thomas Jefferson once wrote of a preacher, Richard Mote, "who "exclaimed aloud to his congregation that he did not believe there was a Quaker, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist in heaven, having paused to give his hearers time to stare and to wonder. He added that, in heaven, God knew no distinctions"

"For the Lord knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish" (Psalms 1:6).- The Evidence Bible.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bidam: What is truth? That your pope is infallible

Yes. But that is besides the topic of this thread.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 4:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

This article satisfies all your objections including that of the OP.

"In the early 1500s, a German monk named Martin Luther was so conscious of his sins that he spent up to six hours in the confessional. Through study of the Scriptures he found that salvation didn't come through anything he did, but simply through trusting in the finished work of the cross of Jesus Christ. He listed the contradictions between what the Scriptures said and what his church taught, and nailed his "95 Thesis" to the church door in Wittenberg, Germany.

Martin Luther became the first to "protest" against the Roman church, and thus he became the father of the Protestant church. Since that split, there have been many disagreements about how much water one should baptise with, how to sing what and why, who should govern who, etc, causing thousands of splinter groups. Many of these groups are convinced that they alone are right. These have become known as Protestant "denominations." Despite the confusion, these churches subscribe to certain foundational beliefs such as the deity, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his (2 Timothy 2:19)
"

"Thomas Jefferson once wrote of a preacher, Richard Mote, "who "exclaimed aloud to his congregation that he did not believe there was a Quaker, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist in heaven, having paused to give his hearers time to stare and to wonder. He added that, in heaven, God knew no distinctions"

"For the Lord knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish" (Psalms 1:6).- The Evidence Bible.

You dont all believe the deity of Christ. Some of you say Jesus is not God, but Archangel Michael.

And the post doesnt come near to answering these questions:

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bidam: Nah..this is not fighting, you are just saying the gospel truth bro...
actually that is fighting. weather it is a good fight or a bad fight, it is fighting nevertherless
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
The truth is it's very difficult 4 most christian to change wat they've believed in 4 a long times n this concept of 'my own is d best' has eaten deep in christiandom,most pple ve suddenly forgotten dat jesus said he is goin to teach us more wen he's gone thru d holy spirit but still d devil will stop at nothin to keep us divided n he sends pple about spreadin poisonous n false doctrines n backin it up wit scriptures just as u will put poison in gud food wen wen u re plannin to kill someone ...we should be watchful n also be open to holy spirit who teaches all tins
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:13pm On Nov 26, 2013
italo:

You dont all believe the deity of Christ. Some of you say Jesus is not God, but Archangel Michael.

And the post doesnt come near to answering these questions:

Those who deny the deity of Christ and those who put Peter in the place of Christ are on their own. If the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do?

Christ is the foundation of the Church. If you miss this foundational truth then you are side tracked.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Real .mermaid Pictures That Will Convince You They Actually Exist / Final Dagger To The virgin birth Crap / Selling 'annointing' Water At USD $360 A Bottle (FRAUD ALERT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.