Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable (1660 Views)

My Experience As Member Of PDP Situation Team In The Abia North Rerun Election / Story Of The "Abia molestation" Victim's Husband. / Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by obinalihe: 2:05pm On Nov 25, 2013
THE DECISION OF THE ABIA STATE GOVERNMENT TO BUILD AN AIRPORT IN THE STATE IS WORTHY OF COMMENDATION. IN THIS NEWS ANALYSIS CHUKS IBEGBU, A PUBLIC AFFAIRS ANALYSTS LOOKS INTO THE IMPLICATION OF THE PROJECT TO THE ECONOMY OF THE STATE.
The Abia State Governor, Chief T.A. Orji, recently announced his intention to build an airport in the state. Since that announcement, there has been a flurry of reactions from several segments of the society. Some people consider it not a priority in the state while a major segment of Abians consider it very timely. There is nothing wrong with the diverse opinions since public debate is part of democratic culture and ethos.
However, a dispassionate look into the whole issue will show that Ndi Abia actually need this proposed airport. Firstly, Abia is a business inclined state and virtually all important businessmen and women at Aba travel a lot to other parts of the country or overseas for one business transaction or another to do business. Presently they are facing the challenges of landing in neighbouring states and facing the hurdles of traveling by road to Abia State with its attendant hazards . Building an airport in the state will checkmate this hazards . Secondly, it will enhance the business and economic tempo in Abia State as investors will have a one-stop access to the states.

Moreover, it will encourage Abians living outside Nigeria to increase the frequency of their visit home and also attract the much needed investment to the state.
The multiplier effect of an airport in Abia State is overwhelming. Some people argue that the nearness of Imo Airport, PortHarcout Airport and Uyo Airport respectively to the proposed Abia Airport makes it untenable. This writer disagrees with this notion. Navigationally, there is nothing wrong or strange with two or more airports sited near each other as long as they are properly equipped with navigational aids after all local and international airports still stay beside each other without any harm. The mentioned airports will complement the Abia Airport.
As for the place to site the airport, there are many suitable places . However, consideration must be given to the viability of the surrounding places and nearness to both the state capital, Umuahia; and the commercial nerve of the state, Aba.The new international market at Ubani Ibeku and the international markets at Aba stand a lot to benefit from the proposed airport. As the committee the Governor set up on the project deliberates on the issue this writer suggests the airport be sited in any of the following places viz; between Isiala-Ngwa and Ubakala or between Abia boundary with Okigwe and NNPC Mega Station, Umudike area, , Bende area or Uzuakoli. The airport may also be called Aguiyi Ironsi Airport, Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu Airport, Z.C. Obi Airport, Alvan Ikoku Airport , God's Own Airport , Ochendo Abia Airport etc.

Ndi Abia should congratulate Governor T.A. Orji for this very thoughtful project among other legacy projects going on in the state now. All hands must be on deck to realise this enduring project which will be undertaken through a public private partnership. To God be the Glory

Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by psucc(m): 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
Commendable? What was he doing the past years only to wake up at this 90 minutes to build an airport. There is no extra time whatsoever. Abia state has a record bad roads. He should silently walk through to 2015.
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by FACE(m): 2:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
Abia state does not need to build an airport, at least not now. Imo airport is centrally located to serve Imo and Abia states. It is also nearer to some parts of Abia than some other parts of Imo, so do those parts of Imo need another airport ? It's about 20 KM to Owerri, 40-45 KM to Umuahia and Aba and the roads are quite good and the Owerri -Aba stretch is being expanded to a dual carriage way.

It's laughable to suggest that Abians will start visiting home more often because a new airport is now 10 KM nearer to their final destination; more over, Aba to Bende is slightly further than Aba to Imo airport.

If the governor wants to enhance the business tempo of the state, he should start by repairing all the roads in Aba, the commercial hub of the state. Redefine and re-plan the metropolitan area of Aba as he is doing in Umuahia and restore and expand the water network in all towns in Abia. Restore or shop for investors to take over our failed industries like and Aba metallurgical complex.

Contrary to what people say, I think that T.A Orji actually has some good ideas but poor advisers or maybe he is disorganised and likes acting like a mafia boss. I have many examples to prove my point but I will let it lie for now. He should go back to Aba and let the Elephant walk with pride.
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by sloo1: 11:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
Let him fix Aba roads and pay workers their salary.
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by donzico2: 7:38am On Nov 26, 2013
Good one. abia state needs there own air port, we don't need to depend on neighboring states. we appreciate GOV TA for this wonderful initiation. Abia have gone a long way ever since T.A came on board . kudos ochendo global.
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by patrikobi: 7:40am On Nov 26, 2013
@ Face and co ,you guys are behind time and do not even know the nitty -gritty of democracy let alone what needs to be done,as for T.A has has out-shined and outworked all the governors who were there before him,all eyes could see what he ahs done so far and i strongly believe in him,he will do more,so people like you do not give him headache
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 26, 2013
Is not bad to build an airport but, if it is not sited at Aba,it means the governor is a total failure. You cannot continue to neglect a town that is known as commercial nerve center of the East. Eastern region will benefit most if this Airport is sited in Aba. I wonder why T.A is not thinking like a human being.
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 26, 2013
patrikobi: @ Face and co ,you guys are behind time and do not even know the nitty -gritty of democracy let alone what needs to be done,as for T.A has has out-shined and outworked all the governors who were there before him,all eyes could see what he ahs done so far and i strongly believe in him,he will do more,so people like you do not give him headache
I cursed the day you were born with this your chicken brain. Though not an Abian,I lived complete 11 years in Umuahia working as a van salesman,I knew virtually everywhere in your state,the governor is a disgrace to igbo nation
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by CyrusLevi(m): 7:56am On Nov 26, 2013
Why does every state in Nigeria venture into building airports

Some of these states have large internal water bodies that they can develop ports and docks facilitating cargo movement,they don't think hence their obsession with airports.

Maybe having airports equal status elevation undecided
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by donzico2: 8:09am On Nov 26, 2013
I rate his excellency high because if d legacy projects he is doing now, Abia would have been the most developed state in the country. he is d best Gov abia has ever produced.
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by Eseharrison(m): 9:01am On Nov 26, 2013
donzico2: I rate his excellency high because if d legacy projects he is doing now, Abia would have been the most developed state in the country. he is d best Gov abia has ever produced.

If he is D̶̲̥̅̊ best then Abia state has D̶̲̥̅̊ longest way t̶̲̥̅̊ø̲ go in terms of development.

T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲ think they я one of D̶̲̥̅̊ oldest states in Nigeria is beyond comprehension
Re: The Decision Of The Abia State Government To Build An Airport Is Commendable by Kponkwem(m): 9:34am On Nov 26, 2013
Poor planning and misplaced priorities. SMh for TA

(1) (Reply)

Braka Da Sallah To All Nairalander's / Would Buahari Accept Defeat This Time? / "Nigerian Hidden War" Genocide Under President Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.