Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,427 members, 7,800,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) (1216 Views)

Buhari’s Many Failed Promises - Vangaurd / Buhari Administration: Two Months, Failed Promises, Zero Success... / Ogun State: A Tale Of Failed Promises (1) By Adekoya Boladale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by anonimi: 8:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
‘By the grace of God, when ACN is sworn-in, we would provide FREE education for all primary and secondary students and there would also be FREE medical care for pregnant women and children’- Sen. Ibikunle Amosun (2011)

For those privileged enough to witness firsthand the glorious administration of Chief Obafemi Awolowo as the Premier of the then Western Region, the memories of pure leadership and true dedication to service by the late sage is indeed impossible to wipe off. Amongst his numerous landmarks, two stands out as historical and unforgettable. While other Regional Premiers were busy placing citizens in the army and public corporations to secure and protect the relevance of their Region, Awo was looking far beyond the moment. He understands the importance of human capital development and ventured into a free education and health care policy that reshaped the status of the western region.

So you could imagine the excitement on March 2011, in the city of Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State when the governorship aspirant of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) declared among other things his resolve to make free education and free health service part of his seven-point-agenda. Not that this is a unique promise bearing in mind the decades of abuse and bastardization of the term ‘free’ by all manner of politicians and political jobbers, but this time around the man in the picture sounded genuine and truthful. He wasn’t promising a total free health care but one that concerns expectant mothers and children. He was careful to list primary and secondary school students as the only eligible class for the free education policy. This was fair enough and very realistic or so we thought.

Years after that declaration in Ijebu ode, the health and education sector in Ogun state is in comatose. The people have come to realize that the promise made on that day was nothing but mere charade conceived only to deceive and manipulate the judgment of the electorates while casting their vote. The less privileged citizens who proceeded to the state medical centers in search of free health services were turned back to their dismay. Stories of primary and secondary schools declared to be free for all and sundry are better told by students who attend the state schools and parents who directly feel the burden. Even though tuition fees have been eradicated, the state government through the back door strategically formulated a new policy which requires students to pay for learning equipment such as chairs, tables and Parent Teachers Association (PTA) levies. A cummulative of these payments supersedes the initial tuition fees being paid by the students.
Away from the failed promises one would have expected the state government to ensure adequate and appropriate facilities are available in each of the sectors. The importance of modern equipment in health centres and schools cannot be over emphasised. But it seems the state government is more concerned about urban renewal other than the lives and wellbeing of the citizens.

Few weeks ago the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) Ogun state chapter having been pushed to the limits cried out to the world on the putrefied state of the state owned hospitals and health centres and the non payment of 30-month salaries to doctors. Listening to the association President, my initial judgement was that he was a paid antagonist positioned to sore the integrity of the state government. But curiousity got the better part of me and so I decided to see things for myself. Going round the major health centres within the state I must confess that I am deeply ashamed to call Ogun my State of Origin. Permit me to share few of the pictures I took while going round the state owned hospitals and health centres.

If the state of the health centers is alarming then wait till you see the schools. The deplorable condition in which students and pupils are conditioned to receive lectures is unimaginable. Some of the schools are roofless while a vast majority of students are being made to sit on bare floors during lectures.

Recently the state government rolled out free textbooks and note books to students. The event was widely reported in major new and traditional media. This is a laudable venture only that the exercise came with a clause. The receiving students were mandated not to take the text books home as these were the properties of the state government; the books were only available for use during school hours while students are required to ensure names are not also written on the books. One is then left to ask, how does these students work on assignments and further readings?

It is important to appreciate the efforts of the state government on construction of roads and bridges but other key sectors of the state which include but not limited to health and education should be given priority too. If the state government can award road contract for whopping One Billion Naira per kilometre and even go further to access loans of over Two Hundred Billion Naira for bridges and expansion then nothing stops it from working excessively on the germane areas such as health and education. Health they say is wealth, in spite of the road networks and beautiful bridges, if the common man who cannot afford the luxury of private health and educational institutions is made to fall victim of half baked education and environmental disease such as cholera then of what good will these infrastructures be?

The government must take cognisance of the fact that power is a thing held in trust, the people believed in the vision he publicised while seeking for election and so voted for him. If he decides not to live up to his promise then it is nothing short of fraud. Projects that impact directly on the lives of the people should be given priority above those that are seemingly fanciful.

Adekoya Boladale, a political scientist is the Convener, Advocacy for Better Leadership (ABEL) an alumnus of Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) wrote via adekoyaboladale@gmail.com. Please engage on twitter @adekoyabee

From: http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/ogun-state-a-tale-of-failed-promises-1.html

ACN/APC - Long on promises, short, very short on delivery beyond empty propaganda.
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by 1wolex85: 8:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
@op, are you saying this out of concern for the ogun pple or out of hatred for the apc? Its obviously the latter.
Having said that, IF THIS IS TRUE, SIA has to sit up big time! This is the south west, if you don't perform, you go. SIA is still better than OGD by far but he should do more, much more!
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by johnwizey: 9:06pm On Nov 25, 2013
I swear, dis OP is on the payroll of Gbenga Daniel/Gbenga Isiaka. No matter hw hard u try, u cant bring Amosun down. The guy is still clearing the mess Daniel and his cohorts made of Ogun state.
What Amosun has done in 2yrs, Daniel could not do for 8yrs. Mayb u expected him to do evrytin in Ogun within 2yrs.
Go get a life OP nd stop being a hater. And about the textbook being distributed, whoever told u the student are not allowed to take it home must be guru in lying. Wat they did was to tell the students to return it at the end of the session so that those coming after them can use it.
Seems u did nt get ur fact right before coming here to post rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by anonimi: 6:24am On Nov 26, 2013
Those who wish to use the LOWER standard of the previous administration are free to do so lipsrsealed
Some of us wey nor dey do follow, follow like zombies prefer to hold Amosun and his likes to their electoral campaign promises as well as the golden standard of the late sage Awolowo and his latter successor, Onabanjo.

1 Like

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by 2kass(m): 9:51am On Nov 26, 2013
May my ancestors punish anyone that tries to rubbish my Governor. You guys shuld please please please leave Ogùn State out of you mess. Let ur rubbish stop at Anambra.
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by ikweremilitant: 11:20am On Nov 26, 2013
johnwizey: I swear, dis OP is on the payroll of Gbenga Daniel/Gbenga Isiaka. No matter hw hard u try, u cant bring Amosun down. The guy is still clearing the mess Daniel and his cohorts made of Ogun state.
What Amosun has done in 2yrs, Daniel could not do for 8yrs. Mayb u expected him to do evrytin in Ogun within 2yrs.
Go get a life OP nd stop being a hater. And about the textbook being distributed, whoever told u the student are not allowed to take it home must be guru in lying. Wat they did was to tell the students to return it at the end of the session so that those coming after them can use it.
hahahaha u yorubas re clowns so if an individual say d truth hes undr d payrol of d devil.wat! Stqange peopl

3 Likes

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by brunnet: 12:00pm On Nov 26, 2013
This is a well painted pictures of
the situation in Ogun State, but I
must quickly add this unfortunate
promises and fail incident does
not limit to Ogun state alone, it is a
general thing across the length
and breath of the country, so no
polical mischeif should come from
the enemies/ opponents of the
Ogun incumbent Governor. No
doubt, SIA rode into the office
through the public sysmpathy,
arisen from the OGD's last leg
lacklustre performance in the
office (the first term tenure
performance was excellent) and
the political imbroglio involving
his executive arm of government
and the state House of Assembly.
This gave OGD bad public image
that ultimately catapulted SIA into
office. My take here is that the
Nigerian electorates must learn
from past mistakes. We should
look well before we leap and
never vote for sentiments again,
but for the office seekers positive
pedigree. Huummm!! That is
where the problem lies, do we
have among the crop of our
present day politicians one with
impeccable records and life style.?

2 Likes

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by khamas19: 12:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
..ahh the meeting place for crazies....sorry I miss road...>>exits
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by mufasayyah(m): 8:46am On Nov 27, 2013
johnwizey: I swear, dis OP is on the payroll of Gbenga Daniel/Gbenga Isiaka. No matter hw hard u try, u cant bring Amosun down. The guy is still clearing the mess Daniel and his cohorts made of Ogun state.
I had expected you to debunk all the facts presented but instead you resulted to maccabre dance. THE GUY ONLY STATED THE OBVIOUS SO DEAL WITH IT cry

2 Likes

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by Sard(m): 9:22am On Nov 27, 2013
ikwere militant: hahahaha u yorubas re clowns so if an individual say d truth hes undr d payrol of d devil.wat! Stqange peopl
Silly you! You are the clown if you judge a whole tribe by the statement of an individual. @ I've never expected so much from those APC governors because I know they are all power-hungry and are in no way different from their PDP predecessors. You people should just vote wisely come 2015.

1 Like

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by mufasayyah(m): 9:44am On Nov 27, 2013
more pixs from Ogun schools

2 Likes

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by AjayiEbenezer: 9:58am On Nov 27, 2013
This is indeed the truth picture of things in ogun state.All the state hospitals are in comatose stage as the state government just neglect it responsibilty on providing effective health care for the people in the state.Go to General Hospital in Ijebu-ode,you will the agony that Gatewarians are experiencing,it's with no doctors as it used to be during OGD led administration,no admittance of new doctors as it used to be with OGD led administration,there will only be one nurse in a ward since the state govt don't recruit new nurses.Ijaye General Hospital is even bad than of General Hospital in Ijebu-ode,as there is no even bedsheet in Ijaye General Hosiptal,yet this man promised use efficient health during his electioneering campaign.Instead of rendering efficient health sector,it's unnecessary urban renewal that serves as bottomless pit through which our common patrimony is being siphone that he concentrate on,we need better head in ogun state than this man called Amosun.

3 Likes

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by anonimi: 1:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ajayi Ebenezer: This is indeed the truth picture of things in ogun state.All the state hospitals are in comatose stage as the state government just neglect it responsibilty on providing effective health care for the people in the state.Go to General Hospital in Ijebu-ode,you will the agony that Gatewarians are experiencing,

* it's with no doctors as it used to be during OGD led administration,
* no admittance of new doctors as it used to be with OGD led administration,there will only be one nurse in a ward since the state govt don't recruit new nurses.
* Ijaye General Hospital is even bad than of General Hospital in Ijebu-ode,as there is no even bedsheet in Ijaye General Hosiptal,

yet this man promised use efficient health during his electioneering campaign.Instead of rendering efficient health sector,it's unnecessary urban renewal that serves as bottomless pit through which our common patrimony is being siphone that he concentrate on,we need better head in ogun state than this man called Amosun.

Are you sure of what you wrote above
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by mufasayyah(m): 6:45am On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=2kass]May my ancestors punish anyone that tries to rubbish my Governor. You guys shuld please please please leave Ogùn State out of you mess. Let ur rubbish stop at Anambra. [/quote
Only if your ancestors are truly from Ogun cos Ogun ancestors are angry with Amosun angry

1 Like

Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by biafranqueen: 6:50am On Nov 28, 2013
Ajayi Ebenezer: This is indeed the truth picture of things in ogun state.All the state hospitals are in comatose stage as the state government just neglect it responsibilty on providing effective health care for the people in the state.Go to General Hospital in Ijebu-ode,you will the agony that Gatewarians are experiencing,it's with no doctors as it used to be during OGD led administration,no admittance of new doctors as it used to be with OGD led administration,there will only be one nurse in a ward since the state govt don't recruit new nurses.Ijaye General Hospital is even bad than of General Hospital in Ijebu-ode,as there is no even bedsheet in Ijaye General Hosiptal,yet this man promised use efficient health during his electioneering campaign.Instead of rendering efficient health sector,it's unnecessary urban renewal that serves as bottomless pit through which our common patrimony is being siphone that he concentrate on,we need better head in ogun state than this man called Amosun.
that is brave of you to come out and say the truth, it seems that all these poli-thieves are good at promising people the world, but never coming through angry
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by anonimi: 4:02pm On Jul 07, 2014
Re: Ogun State: Amosun's Tale Of Failed Promises (1) by mogentle(m): 4:56pm On Jul 07, 2014
anonimi: ..

You are so jobless to resurrect a dead thread all in a bid to carry out your BRING APC DOWN by pay per post campaign.
Go to Ogun State today, Amosun's achievement is written boldly everywhere. Oloshi omo Ibo jakujaku. Go back to your Eastern enclave and assess your looting governors, leave SWest alone.

(1) (Reply)

Oops! US Customs Seize And Incinerate Our Precious Snails / Achievements Of GEJ: Bill Cliton, Tinubu, Fashola Applauds GEJ (pictures) / Military Invades Majidun Bunkering Hub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.