Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi (1014 Views)

Emenike, Nsofor, Ameobi Return For Super-Eagles / Ameobi, Mikel, Martins, Apam Listed For Venezuela / Fifa Clears Shola Ameobi, Moses To Play For Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 7:52am On Nov 26, 2013
Shola Ameobi’s inclusion in the Super eagles has divided the Nigerian fan base but with his performance against Italy, the Newcastle Striker may just have won them over.

It’s also turning to one of those fairytale stories as Shola is 32 and in the twilight of his career, and to think he only made his debut last year. He has now scored 2 goals in 4 games for Nigeria, albeit all friendlies.

Many actually believe that he is "reaping where he has not sown" but the one person who matters the most, Stephen Keshi the Super Eagles manager is however a huge fan. Keshi told supersport.com that:
"Shola is such a vital member of the team. I already have the joy of managing this group of really young players who have so little experience of playing at the top level. With Shola I have more than a footballer; I have a second coach on the pitch. He is always talking to the players both on the pitch and even when he is on the bench. I cannot tell you how valuable that is in this group".

A lot of those against Ameobi's presence in the team are like that principally because he played for England U-21s and missed out on the Afcon 2013.

Keshi adds: "I understood the contract situation he had with Newcastle that made him miss the AFCON, we spoke about it and I was cool with it hence why he is back in the fold. He is such a level headed lad. Very intelligent on the ball and as we saw against Italy he can score goals too".

As a young lad growing up Ameobi played for the England U21s with encouragement and no little pressure from Sir Bobby Robson the Newcastle manager at the time.He was also sought after for many years to play for the Super Eagles with reports of him holding out for England like many other England bork Nigerians like Needum Onuoha, Gabriel Agbonlahor and "He loves playing for Nigeria" The Big Boss says of his reserve striker. "And he is also a big part of the group and buys into what we are doing here despite his many years in England and in the premiership there is no arrogance about him".

This definitely looks like a case of, If he is good enough for the Coach then he should do for Nigerians. Many will now expect to see him carry his form against Italy to Brazil 2014 World Cup .

Maybe his younger Brother, Sammy Ameobi, who also plays for Newcastle as Striker or Winger will be encouraged to follow in his footsteps and perhaps make his international debut earlier.

Source: www.ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/131125/Keshi_highlights_Ameobis_value

1 Like

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by omar22(m): 10:03am On Nov 26, 2013
Atlast we have a natural leader in the team

2 Likes

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by Ajibel(m): 11:02am On Nov 26, 2013
omar22: Atlast we HAD HAVE a natural leader in the team

Kpokpolo.... Double-barrelled gbagaun embarassed
Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by safarigirl(f): 11:09am On Nov 26, 2013
In other words, Shola Ameobi is everything Osaze is, minus the arrogance. Now that we have that sorted out, we won't need Osaze's 'experience' in the team, since we have that, plus Ameobi is even a motivational speaker while on the bench, not a perpetual whiner. Some players (like Yobo at AFCON) are more than just players, that's what most Nigerians don't realise

1 Like

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 12:33pm On Nov 26, 2013
omar22: Atlast we had have a natural leader in the team

Yeah, we do! Yobo never struck me as someone who can inspire the team and ginger them in times of huge pressure. Enyeama inspires confidence but he's too far away to influence things in the thick of action. Shola's leadership skills will be huge for us as we approach the World cup. I'm optimistic about our chances. God bless the Super Eagles!

1 Like

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 12:34pm On Nov 26, 2013
Ajibel:

Kpokpolo.... Double-barrelled gbagaun embarassed
Cmon, dont be tunnel-visioned! Why do we have this disgusting attitude of majoring in minors?! Isn't the point made in the comment clear?

1 Like

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 12:37pm On Nov 26, 2013
safarigirl: In other words, Shola Ameobi is everything Osaze is, minus the arrogance. Now that we have that sorted out, we won't need Osaze's 'experience' in the team, since we have that, plus Ameobi is even a motivational speaker while on the bench, not a perpetual whiner. Some players (like Yobo at AFCON) are more than just players, that's what most Nigerians don't realise

Osaze is ungrateful to Nigeria. He thinks Nigeria 'needs' him. We dont. He needs us for his international achievemen ts.

1 Like

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by safarigirl(f): 2:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
joseph1013:

Osaze is ungrateful to Nigeria. He thinks Nigeria 'needs' him. We dont. He needs us for his international achievemen ts.
it's his fans that make him feel indispensable, you need to read the hogwash they tweet, like he's our Pele or something
Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 8:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
Newcastle's Pardew Praises Ameobi

Newcastle United Manager, Alan Pardew believes Super Eagles striker, Shola Ameobi could potentially become President Goodluck Jonathan’s successor if he produces a good display at the 2014 Fifa World Cup finals in Brazil.

Ameobi has hit a purple patch recently with big displays for club and country, the latest of which culminated in a 2-1 win for Newcastle United over Norwich City on Saturday.

His performances has been attracting rave reviews and Pardew fears the Nigerian may top the popularity rankings in his homeland if he impresses with the Super Eagles in Brazil next summer.

"If he does well in the World Cup, Shola might end up president of Nigeria," Pardew told authoritative British Newspaper, the Guardian.

It is very rare to hear managers praise players from an opposing team but Ameobi had such an effect on the Norwich City manager, Chris Houghton who had complimentary words for the Nigerian after his side’s defeat at St. James’ Park.

Pardew acknowledged Houghton’s magnanimity and also underlined the importance of Ameobi in the Newcastle team.

"As Chris will tell you Shola's an absolutely tremendous guy. With his intelligence he's a really important person in the dressing room, even without playing football.

“I’m delighted for him at this stage of his career that he is going to the World Cup. It will be a wonderful moment for him.

“He’s a very good player – he allows Newcastle to be a bit different in their approach and he’s playing alongside Loic Remy, who is as good as anyone in the Premier League at the moment,” he said.

Ameobi is a late bloomer on the international front. He made his senior debut for Nigeria in 2012 and has earned five caps for the Super Eagles.

© supersport.com

1 Like

Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 8:45pm On Nov 26, 2013
NEWCASTLE'S PARDEW PRAISES AMEOBI

Newcastle United Manager, Alan Pardew believes Super Eagles striker, Shola Ameobi could potentially become President Goodluck Jonathan’s successor if he produces a good display at the 2014 Fifa World Cup finals in Brazil.

Ameobi has hit a purple patch recently with big displays for club and country, the latest of which culminated in a 2-1 win for Newcastle United over Norwich City on Saturday.

His performances has been attracting rave reviews and Pardew fears the Nigerian may top the popularity rankings in his homeland if he impresses with the Super Eagles in Brazil next summer.

"If he does well in the World Cup, Shola might end up president of Nigeria," Pardew told authoritative British Newspaper, the Guardian.

It is very rare to hear managers praise players from an opposing team but Ameobi had such an effect on the Norwich City manager, Chris Houghton who had complimentary words for the Nigerian after his side’s defeat at St. James’ Park.

Pardew acknowledged Houghton’s magnanimity and also underlined the importance of Ameobi in the Newcastle team.

"As Chris will tell you Shola's an absolutely tremendous guy. With his intelligence he's a really important person in the dressing room, even without playing football.

“I’m delighted for him at this stage of his career that he is going to the World Cup. It will be a wonderful moment for him.

“He’s a very good player – he allows Newcastle to be a bit different in their approach and he’s playing alongside Loic Remy, who is as good as anyone in the Premier League at the moment,” he said.

Ameobi is a late bloomer on the international front. He made his senior debut for Nigeria in 2012 and has earned five caps for the Super Eagles.

© supersport.com
Re: Keshi: Why I Love Ameobi by joseph1013: 8:46pm On Nov 26, 2013
NEWCASTLE'S PARDEW PRAISES AMEOBI

© supersport.com

(1) (Reply)

Another Promising Nigerian Switches To Bahrain-why Did We Let Them Go? (part II) / Football's Greatest Excuses / Man’u De Gea Agrees Madrid Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.