Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,689 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

49 House Members Decamp To APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 49 House Members Decamp To APC (30759 Views)

Rivers: 500 APC Members Decamp To PDP / 7,000 APC Members Decamp To PDP / 37 PDP House Of Reps Members Decamp To The APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

49 House Members Decamp To APC by kbdrim(m): 11:37pm On Nov 26, 2013
With the deft move by the nPDP to APC Tuesday, 49 out of the 67 members of the PDP, whose governors were part of the defection have also followed suit.

A statement by the points man of the group in the House, Hon. Suleiman Abdurahman Kawu Sumaila, indicated that legislators in the lower chamber from Adamawa, Kano, Kwara, Rivers and Sokoto took cue from their governors and are now in the APC, thus swelling its rank in the House.

Of the 49 members of the nPDP, now in APC, Kano has the highest number- 14, followed by Rivers with 13 while Sokoto has 11. Adamawa and Kwara has 6 and 5 respectively.

Before the crack that greeted the merger of the two parties Tuesday, the number of lawmakers in the House who were close to the nPDP was 67. With the new development, the coalition may have been deprived of the support of 18 members from Jigawa and Niger.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/49-house-members-decamp-to-apc/165278/

2 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by braine(m): 11:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
Good• Let's see who gets unseated• Anything to destroy PDP.

4 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by emorse(m): 11:50pm On Nov 26, 2013
All in preparation for 2015. Will a change of party make these guys better people? This only goes to show that no political party in Nigeria is trustworthy.

15 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 27, 2013
crossover thieves

18 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by guass(m): 12:27am On Nov 27, 2013
NO POLITICAL PARTY IS TRUSTWORTHY IN NIGERIA, ALL I KNOW IS THAT NIGERIA NEEDS TWO STRONG POLITICAL PARTY.

2 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by donphilopus: 12:28am On Nov 27, 2013
I'm waiting for those E-warriors who were saying they would declare their seats vacant, if any of them (nPDP NASS MEMBERS) defects to APC, to come and declare their seats vacant.

Bunch of Nitwits!

10 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Mmiriariugwu: 12:34am On Nov 27, 2013
Whatever happens to ideologies? although they are bloody oportunists,am watching to see how well this oil & water tend to gel.

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:46am On Nov 27, 2013
donphilopus: I'm waiting for those E-warriors who were saying they would declare their seats vacant, if any of them (nPDP NASS MEMBERS) defects to APC, to come and declare their seats vacant.

Bunch of Nitwits!

Watch and see. Their seats will be declared vacant and na koboko MOPOL go use flog dem if they turn up for a session after their seats must have been declared vacant.

31 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by djinsuntan(m): 12:46am On Nov 27, 2013
Nice development, PDP's monopoly get's to fizzle out. Enof of monopolizing all sector of governance for selfish lots.

6 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by MidaxPhoenix(m): 12:56am On Nov 27, 2013
This is treachery, to change faith in
accord with shifting fortune, the basic ideology of the nigerian politics.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by bappahman: 12:59am On Nov 27, 2013
Findings on Tuesday showed that the PDP
could lose at least four key principal
positions should many of its members
move in droves to join the governors in the
APC.
The positions under threat are Deputy
Speaker (Mr. Emeka Ihedioha); Majority
Leader (Mulikat Akande-Adeola); Chief
Whip (Ishaka Bawa); and Deputy Leader
(Leo Ogor).
Investigations showed that as of the last
count, the APC had 137 members in the
House.
It will also be recalled that at least 57 PDP
members openly moved with their
governors to the defunct New PDP.
A source told one of our correspondents
that this already implied “a likely shift in
majority leadership to the APC.”
The source added, “If you add 57 to 137,
you will get 194.
“If you deduct 194 from 360, the number is
“Don’t forget that not all of the 166
members of the House of Representatives
are PDP members. There are small parties
like the Labour Party, a faction of APGA
and the Accord Party.
“What does this tell you about which party
will control the House?
“Again, more members will likely defect in
the days ahead; anything is bound to
happen.”
The PUNCH gathered that the PDP
originally had 208 members before the
crisis, out of which 57 joined the New
PDP.
The leader of the defunct New PDP, Mr.
Andrew Uchendu, had claimed that the
membership was actually up to 100.
“We are more than 57; there are more that
are behind the scene.
“We are up to 100,” he had claimed.
A National Assembly official said, “If you
take Uchendu’s position, it means the APC
will have 237 members in the House.
“That is more good tidings for the
opposition in terms of which party will be in
control.”
There were doubts on Tuesday over which
side of the divide the Speaker, Mr. Aminu
Tambuwal, belonged.
His home state governor, Aliyu Wamakko
of Sokoto State, is one of the seven rebel
governors.
The speaker has been evading taking a
categorical stance on the crisis since it
broke out.

6 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 1:05am On Nov 27, 2013
Jonathan is about to be consumed by his lack of political width and charisma. He is being led by sycophants who don't really mean well for him except for their pockets. I expect Tambuwal and other Northern legislators to declare for APC by February. This should confirm why I said many times that PDP is a Northern party that is supported by some southern slaves mostly based in South-east and South-south. The Nigerian Constitution favours the North more than any other region because, the North dominates the National Assembly; in terms of number. There are more than 68% of PDP legislators in the House of Representatives and Senate. I expect these Northern PDP legislators to desert PDP and move to APC. Jonathan will be left with Akpabio, Orji, Obi, Mimiko, Elechi, Chime and the governor of Cross-River State, Bamanga Tukur, Anenih, Okupe, Gulak, Abati and few others.........

One thing that I know is that, you don't fight the North politically. It is never advisable to let the North have a common enemy. When you fight the North, they tend to come together and fight their opponents regardless of their party affiliations. All the Northern Governors who claim to be in support of Jonathan are currently under pressure to dump Jonathan. Governor of Bauchi and Katsina will be put under a lot of pressure by Emirs and Sultan to dump Jonathan by end of next year. These governors will definitely dump him. Normally, the Northern elites do not favor Buhari but they are ready to support Buhari to get there and deprive Jonathan the second term he so much crave. The North has been threatened by Jonathan utterances of "Igbos are my back bone" "the votes I got from the North only came from Igbos". Those utterances were wrong by the President of Nigeria. As a a matter of fact, it was Sultan of Sokoto and some Emirs who declared support for Jonathan in the North when IBB, Atiku, Adamu Ciroma and others were giving Jonathan tough time. This was at the time of tension in the North in 2011.

The goal of the North is to get anyone from their region elected as President. It doesn't matter who that person eventually is.

Jonathan and his political rookies have woken up a sleeping giant.

97 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by donphilopus: 1:10am On Nov 27, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Watch and see. Their seats will be declared vacant and na koboko MOPOL go use flog dem if they turn up for a session after their seats must have been declared vacant.
Was that how you declared Sen. Borofice's seat vacant, when he defected from LP to the then ACN??

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by nduchucks: 1:29am On Nov 27, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Why are you people so lazy that you can't lookup simple information, but instead you'll confidently make pronouncements which project you as uninformed?

The constitution allows for these house members to decamp, in fact Section 68 (1) of the 1999 Constitution allows defection of any lawmaker if there is division in the political party of which he was previously a member or a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.

Their seats cannot be constitutionally rendered vacant. I expect additional defection from the house and senate in coming days. I'm sorry to say that GEJ's days are numbered.

10 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by IGBOSON1: 1:43am On Nov 27, 2013
payless: Jonathan is about to be consumed by his lack of political width and charisma. He is being led by sycophants who don't really mean well for him except for their pockets. I expect Tambuwal and other Northern legislators to declare for APC by February. This should confirm why I said many times that PDP is a Northern party that is supported by some southern slaves mostly based in South-east and South-south. The Nigerian Constitution favours the North more than any other region because, the North dominates the National Assembly; in terms of number. There are more than 68% of PDP legislators in the House of Representatives and Senate. I expect these Northern PDP legislators to desert PDP and move to APC. Jonathan will be left with Akpabio, Orji, Obi, Mimiko, Elechi, Chime and the governor of Cross-River State, Bamanga Tukur, Anenih, Okupe, Gulak, Abati and few others.........

One thing that I know is that, you don't fight the North politically. It is never advisable to let the North have a common enemy. When you fight the North, they tend to come together and fight their opponents regardless of their party affiliations. All the Northern Governors who claim to be in support of Jonathan are currently under pressure to dump Jonathan. Governor of Bauchi and Katsina will be put under a lot of pressure by Emirs and Sultan to dump Jonathan by end of next year. These governors will definitely dump him. Normally, the Northern elites do not favor Buhari but they are ready to support Buhari to get there and deprive Jonathan the second term he so much crave. The North has been threatened by Jonathan utterances of "Igbos are my back bone" "the votes I got from the North only came from Igbos". Those utterances were wrong by the President of Nigeria. As a a matter of fact, it was Sultan of Sokoto and some Emirs who declared support for Jonathan in the North when IBB, Atiku, Adamu Ciroma and others were giving Jonathan tough time. This was at the time of tension in the North in 2011.

The goal of the North is to get anyone from their region elected as President. It doesn't matter who that person eventually is.

^^^Go and sleep!

15 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by atlwireles: 1:57am On Nov 27, 2013
payless: Jonathan is about to be consumed by his lack of political width and charisma. He is being led by sycophants who don't really mean well for him except for their pockets. I expect Tambuwal and other Northern legislators to declare for APC by February. This should confirm why I said many times that PDP is a Northern party that is supported by some southern slaves mostly based in South-east and South-south. The Nigerian Constitution favours the North more than any other region because, the North dominates the National Assembly; in terms of number. There are more than 68% of PDP legislators in the House of Representatives and Senate. I expect these Northern PDP legislators to desert PDP and move to APC. Jonathan will be left with Akpabio, Orji, Obi, Mimiko, Elechi, Chime and the governor of Cross-River State, Bamanga Tukur, Anenih, Okupe, Gulak, Abati and few others.........

Too childish from an adult. Sit and watch you might learn something.

16 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 27, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Why are you people so lazy that you can't lookup simple information, but instead you'll confidently make pronouncements which project you as uninformed?

The constitution allows for these house members to decamp, in fact Section 68 (1) of the 1999 Constitution allows defection of any lawmaker if there is division in the political party of which he was previously a member or a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.

Their seats cannot be constitutionally rendered vacant. I expect additional defection from the house and senate in coming days. I'm sorry to say that GEJ's days are numbered.

There are bunch of political rookies here. They are known as the "Jonathanians". They have no clue just like their principal. grin

20 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by atlwireles: 2:00am On Nov 27, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Define division in a party Nigerians, you people are always full of drama for nothing.

2 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 2:03am On Nov 27, 2013
atlwireles:

Too childish from an adult. Sit and watch you might learn something.

Reality is about to hit you in your face. By the time reality sinks in, I expect Jonathan and the rest of Jonathanians to go back to the creek and start blowing up oil pipelines again.

4 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by atlwireles: 2:09am On Nov 27, 2013
payless:

Reality is about to hit you in your face. By the time reality sinks in, I expect Jonathan and the rest of Jonathanians to go back to the creek and start blowing up oil pipelines again.

There you go with your 6 years old talk again. Worry about your own reality, is it not this Nigeria. There are some people that born losers in this country,. seek them out. PDP and Jonah, are stronger than ever before, we gave up some dead weight today. As usual the party of losers picked them up.

3 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 2:13am On Nov 27, 2013
atlwireles:

There you go with your 6 years old talk again. Worry about your own reality, is it not this Nigeria. There are some people that born losers in this country,. seek them out. PDP and Jonah, are stronger than ever before, we gave up some dead weight today. As usual the party of losers picked them up.

Cry Me a River............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

4 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by atlwireles: 2:17am On Nov 27, 2013
[quote author=payless]

Cry Me a River............

Funny, the crying in Nigeria politics for 53 years has been left to your side. Just as you are doing in Anambra today. You will cry blood in 2015. grin grin grin grin grin No harm intended

15 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Mmiriariugwu: 2:22am On Nov 27, 2013
From dis development there is realy cause for alarm.Hence politics is a game of numbers,i just hope pdp has a strong counter-plan because they can't say they did'nt see dis coming. If these "dissidents"had gone 2 stand on their own they would've meant no threat,but now GEJ & his co travellers should better strategize because if this marriage should gel,it portends huge threat for his ambition in 2015.I saw a post saying dat Emeka Ihedioha is decamping, pls get ur facts right.The last time i checked he is from Imo &at peace with the mainstream pdp.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 2:24am On Nov 27, 2013
[quote author=atlwireles][/quote]

You are more clueless than I thought. You should be seeing clearly by March 2014. Jonathan is done politically. Any wrong move by him will result in an impeachment. They aren't looking at impeaching him but any wrong move automatically activates that.

4 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by atlwireles: 2:26am On Nov 27, 2013
payless:

You are more clueless than I thought. You should be seeing clearly by March 2014. Jonathan is done politically. Any wrong move by him will result in an impeachment. They aren't looking at impeaching him but any wrong move automatically activates that.

I'm used to your loquaciousness, I know it comes in your DNA. Please start your impeachment proceeding.

6 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 2:35am On Nov 27, 2013
atlwireles:

I'm used to your loquaciousness, I know it comes in your DNA. Please start your impeachment proceeding.

Whisper into your creek leader (Jonadunce) ears to misbehave and let's see what happens. Declaration of Tambuwal for APC will be the straw that finally broke the camel's back. It won't happen now................. Just wait till March of next year when you should be able to see clearly.

6 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by duni04(m): 2:35am On Nov 27, 2013
Going by how Nigeria works, next thing now is to blackmail the president into making compromises or else they'll impeach him. The dumbass won't want to b d first Nigerian president to b impeached so he'll play ball and open d treasury for them to come and chop. Wen they chop belle full, they'll sit down again and say it was only a family disagreement and Jonathan is still their man. 2015 will come and the sick people called Nigerians will still go and put their fingers beside umbrella and say they're not voting for PDP but Jonathan. The dumbass will win and rule for another 4years. Story finish

12 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 2:42am On Nov 27, 2013
duni04: Going by how Nigeria works, next thing now is to blackmail the president into making compromises or else they'll impeach him. The dumbass won't want to b d first Nigerian president to b impeached so he'll play ball and open d treasury for them to come and chop. Wen they chop belle full, they'll sit down again and say it was only a family disagreement and Jonathan is still their man. 2015 will come and the sick people called Nigerians will still go and put their fingers beside umbrella and say they're not voting for PDP but Jonathan. The dumbass will win and rule for another 4years. Story finish

This is a defining moment in the lives of Nigerians. These people mean business. They are are out in full force to nail Jonathan. Jonathan has done his worse and showed all his cards. It is too late for him now. Any abuse of power will be met with revolt and public sympathy for his victims. The House of Representatives breaking into APC hands will be the straw that finally broke the camel's back.

I expect Jonathan to exercise his best behaviours and go into dialogue with his opponents but I expect those Governors to rebuff him.

5 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by kbdrim(m): 2:43am On Nov 27, 2013
The beauty of what is happening right now in PDP is that balance of play is shifted to the centre. Even if the opposition does not win in 2015, the margin would not be too much which keeps any winning party on its toes. Nigeria is gradually moving to a two party state and that too is good for the country.
One of the attractions of the APC to the 5 governors is that the APC would recognise their worth and contribution as both the APC and nPDP need each other to make progress. Anyone who thinks these governors do not have a major influence in their states should think long and hard. Past governors who have started their own parties(Orji Uzo Kalu, Ladoja and Gbenga Daniel) have shown that it is still possible to upset the cart. The advantage the current defecting governors in the north have is that for the first time they would also be riding in the same party with Buhari who still has a cult following in the north. 2015 presents a very interesting challenge for Nigerian politics.
I will not be shocked if other smart governors join the ranks of the APC especially in the North as it is easier to ride with the mass movement than against.2011 comes to mind

5 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by egift(m): 2:49am On Nov 27, 2013
Here is a Weeping Centre for all PDP members, sympathizers and beneficiaries
https://www.nairaland.com/1532854/weeping-centre-pdp-e-warriors
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by BabaEleko(m): 2:49am On Nov 27, 2013
I can't wait to see how all these unfolds in the next weeks. This is good for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by duni04(m): 3:27am On Nov 27, 2013
kbdrim: The beauty of what is happening right now in PDP is that balance of play is shifted to the centre. Even if the opposition does not win in 2015, the margin would not be too much which keeps any winning party on its toes. Nigeria is gradually moving to a two party state and that too is good for the country.
One of the attractions of the APC to the 5 governors is that the APC would recognise their worth and contribution as both the APC and nPDP need each other to make progress. Anyone who thinks these governors do not have a major influence in their states should think long and hard. Past governors who have started their own parties(Orji Uzo Kalu, Ladoja and Gbenga Daniel) have shown that it is still possible to upset the cart. The advantage the current defecting governors in the north have is that for the first time they would also be riding in the same party with Buhari who still has a cult following in the north. 2015 presents a very interesting challenge for Nigerian politics.
I will not be shocked if other smart governors join the ranks of the APC especially in the North as it is easier to ride with the mass movement than against.2011 comes to mind
This kind of analysis is meant for an already established democracy where politics revolves around the people and service. In everything you wrote you failed to acknowledge the power of incumbency and money. Jonathan has the resources of the state at his disposal including the security agencies that are already hounding some of these npdp governors. I still maintain that all jonathan has to do is accede to whatever requests these npdp people are making or just open the treasury for them and they'll run back to the pdp before 2015. We saw drama like dis one prior to the 2003 elections where atiku and orji kalu thought they controlled the PDP and obasanjo taught them that the power of a sitting president supersedes anything else. Obasanjo settled his own house drama with Ghana must go politics on the floors of both legislative houses. Shebi its just to sack tukur, allow the npdp governors select their successors in 2015 and beg wike to leave amaechi alone. Then probably dump sambo and replace him with Lamido. Let's watch

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kwara Group To Sarkin Fulani: We Will Evict You If You Cause Trouble In Kwara / Bandits Attack Shiroro, Niger State. 15 People Drown While Trying To Escape / Video Of Chude Apologizing To Sir Emeka Offor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.