Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,993 members, 7,799,418 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" (803 Views)

Today is The Solemnnity Of Christ The King (Corpus Christi) / Shocking News: The Ex-muslim Priest Said That ”all Muslim Must Change To Christi / Corpus Christi (Latin for Body of Christ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by Nobody: 12:03am On Nov 27, 2013
Hello nairalanders,

I really want to share my experiences with some catholic youths during "corpus christi". My intent is not to bash Catholics as I am a born catholic, christened in catholic and still a member of catholic but some incidents makes me wonder if we really care about being a true children of God?

Three years ago around November I attended a wedding ceremony in Aba from warri. As a norm in Aba, wedding receptions are usually scheduled on sundays after Saturday’s wedding, according to them, Saturday reception is going to affect sales and because of that nobody is going to leave his/her business just to attend wedding reception. Coincidentally this particular reception fell on the same day with that year corpus christi. During the reception there was a need for me to take one of my relation home to pick up something,on our way home around Faulks road we came across this mammoth catholic crowd singing and chanting songs in the name of acknowledging the said "corpus christi" which means christ is the king, They blocked all the roads and even junctions. When I got to the junction that led to the street where I am going to, I waited for over 45 mins because I didn’t want to distort their procession, it got to a point one of the guy in the monitoring group decided to create a way for me to go .The guy halted them and wave a hand in a gesture that showed I should move ,immediately I entered in between the two divided groups (my car didn’t touch anybody) the massive crowd just pounced on my car from all angle, one f.ool jumped up and used bare hand to break my back screen. In annoyance I got out of the car trying to explain that one of their member actually gave me a pass before I could utter jack the mob attacked me from different angle the attack and beating was fierce that my sister started pulling me back to avoid sad story from those savages that called themselves children of God, even seeing my retreat one i.diot jumped from back to give me this resounding slap just to ensure that he wasn't left out of the lynching. This is so despicable for people that called themselves Christians.

Again, On sunday was another corpus christi this time around I was in Enugu. After attending "mass" I decided not to take part because of crowd control issues,but in an ironic turn of event a friend showed up we went out in his car.On my way back I decided to watch man utd match, I was unlucky that my time of going home coincides with the dismissal of the corpus Christi. I got to ogui rd in Enugu I asked my friend to turn back because of the crowd let me join a public transport. I joined a public transport and there is a huge throng coming out from Holy Ghost cathedral through edingburgh-zik avenue road. The conductor and driver queued up in the ensuing traffic. In what seemed to be an inexplicable frenzy some catholic youths who can only qualify as thugs because they have nothing both in physical expression or behaviour to associate them with people of God. in the name of being happy that jesus is king used sachet water and start pouring all the water content on the conductor, the young man got annoyed and jumped down from the vehicle on the verge of attacking the aggressor, before the guy could even jump out, the crowd who by the way were there to see that is a clear case of their member being the offender trooped out in crowd not only defended the guy they resort to mob lynching and the poor conductor sustained ankle and back injuries, the guy was helpless and started cussing them as if that is not bad enough their members who are mostly females started supporting what those barbarians did to the poor guy and without hesitation unleash their caustic tongue on the conductor. the putrid curses that came out of the so called children of God can make the devil shiver in wonderment.
These two separate incidents that happened in two different cities and by no means a coincidence has led me to tentatively conclude that “most Catholic youths” are not even close to what can be termed Christians. They are so vain, spiritually-defective and lack any attribute you can ascribe to Christ. Do they really understand the essence of this corpus Christi? Why is there penchant for violence among “these Catholic youths”? In sincerity there is no difference between those “catholic youths” and book haram. As a catholic I know after the procession at the cathedral the bishop will say benediction and bless people and at the end people are filled with holy spirit. But the truth is there is nothing spiritual about those youths I saw yesterday, Infact I can logically conclude they went there to reawaken the demons inside them which somehow managed to unleash terror to passer-by and other road users. Please I am not trying to spite the good Catholics but I think is high time catholic youths should do a soul-searching and decide to follow the life of Christ. I know someone will argue that knowing God has nothing to do with church but the truth is when it is common among certain group that calls for concern. Seriously the CYON is not really planting a good spiritual seed inside these catholic youths.
In concluding, james 2:17 said “even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone” so my fellow Catholics let your good work justifies your faith,lets strive everyday to be Christ-like, let your life reflects Christ.you might have a different belief,different doctrines from other Christians but the most important thing is does your life reflects God’s glory? So at the end God will find it worthy to call you his subject and you will be worthy to call him your king.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by frankieblaize(m): 12:24am On Nov 27, 2013
rubish u generalize some specific peoples sin 2 others even to the church at large u go to church hv the rev father ever said break peoples glass'' no bt those who went against the right way are on dir own..
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 27, 2013
frankieblaize: rubish u generalize some specific peoples sin 2 others even to the church at large u go to church hv the rev father ever said break peoples glass'' no bt those who went against the right way are on dir own..

Oga where did I generalize? I even used inverted commas to ensure I didn't mean all, or didn't you see the "some"? I don't know why you sound angry,or are you one of them? who even told you that you are more catholic than me?

abeg read well before you post.

Good night. cheesy
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by POPEII: 3:59am On Nov 27, 2013
What is this one saying?
There are 2billions Catholics so try something else
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by italo: 6:18am On Nov 27, 2013
@OP, if your account is true and accurate, then I can only be sorry for the bad experience you went through.

It is true. Many are not as Good as the Church teaches them to be.

However, I dont want to give a long speech. You say you're Catholic. I presume you try to be a good one. Is it possible that it is you that God wants to use to change many of those Catholic youths?

Think about it. There is a committee that plans the procession. Why dont you join them as soon as possible and see how you can restore decorum and sober reflection to these processions which are in themselves, a holy practice.

You can start getting more active in your parish and if people see that you are doing things right, you'll get a chance to serve in a bigger capacity.

Think about it, brother. You brothers and sisters went into the streets to proclaim Christ, while you stayed at home to enjoy yourself. Then you criticize them for unruly behaviour (though that is good). But imagine if you were in that "mob" at that moment. Perhaps you would have told them "guys, it's okay. We shouldn't be doing this."

Perhaps, you would have sown a good seed that would grow in others.

God has given you this gift to hate such conduct. That annoyance you feel is a holy annoyance. If truly, you are Catholic, a true son of the Church, and not just "Catholic for mouth," then God is calling you to use this gift to build up his Church. There are Catholics who feel these things and are doing their bit to correct them. Be one of them...and dont worry if the odds are against you. It was with only 12 men that Christ changed the world.

Start now, brother. Get off your couch and do what you can to help God's Church.

Dont just be a critic who does nothing to build. That is also a sin.

God bless you."

6 Likes

Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by woky: 6:47am On Nov 27, 2013
italo: @OP, if your account is true and accurate, then I can only be sorry for the bad experience you went through.

However, I dont want to give a long speech. You say you're Catholic. I presume you try to be a good one. Is it possible that it is you that God wants to use to change many of those Catholic youths?

Think about it. There is a committee that plans the procession. Why dont you join them as soon as possible and see how you can restore decorum and sober reflection to these processions which are in themselves, a holy practice.

You can start getting more active in your parish and if people see that you are doing things right, you'll get a chance to serve in a bigger capacity.

Think about it, brother. You brothers and sisters went into the streets to proclaim Christ, while you stayed at home to enjoy yourself. Then you criticize them for unruly behaviour (though that is good). But imagine if you were in that "mob" at that moment. Perhaps you would have told them "guys, it's okay. We shouldn't be doing this."

God has given you this gift to hate such conduct. That annoyance you feel is a holy annoyance. If truly, you are Catholic, a true son of the Church, and not just "Catholic for mouth," then God is calling you to use this gift to build up his Church. There are Catholics who feel these things and are doing their bit to correct them. Be one of them...and dont worry if the odds are against you. It was with only 12 men that Christ changed the world.

Start now, brother. Get off your couch and do what you can to help God's Church.

God bless you."
secondly

dont always think 'only' on what the church will do for you, rather think of what you will do for the growth/benefit of the church..

Sorry for the bad experience, you and i knws that the church does not teach that..

Udo

2 Likes

Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 28, 2013
italo: @OP, if your account is true and accurate, then I can only be sorry for the bad experience you went through.

God bless you."

Thank you italo for your post but my intention of posting it here is a way of correcting it maybe people that are involved or people that knows those involved will correct it.As regards to me I have served and still serving the church in different capacity.I don't reside in the two cities the incidents happened otherwise i will take it upon myself to report to parish council.

Probably I overacted but why won't i overact? where i incurred debt of thousands from "savages" who called themselves children of God and even at that, none of them could fathom it was wrong to destroy someone's property that didn't do anything to them and yet nobody chastise them for that.

Anyway thanks for your reply I appreciate.

You see is easy for you to play "dont be a critic card
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by bizmahn: 11:39am On Nov 28, 2013
POPE II: What is this one saying?
There are 2billions Catholics so try something else
Face the glaring fact,How many of the 2 billion catholics are born again & heaven ready.I've been a catholic & I know the answer before I left & I sure can tell that the OP is saying the honest truth not just about the youth but the generality.Why? Because they've never been to calvary & the teachings point them more to mary & purgatory gives them excuse to sin.
You say catholics have a greater population.......hell also boasts of greater population & no wonder.Have you observed that where ever sin exists,such places usually have the greater population whether in this world,in churches or probably in the spiritual.My friend repent & forget about religious bigotry.
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by POPEII: 11:43am On Nov 28, 2013
I was only trying to say that he can't judge the whole church/2billions people because of what happened to him grin chillax bro ,don't let Catholics give you heart attack grin grin

Please reread your comment , are you done? Well tell me in all honesty who is the bigot?
What about don't judge?
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by POPEII: 11:45am On Nov 28, 2013
The Catholic church doesn't teach violence , so what happened is an unfortunate event but not the teaching of the holy Catholic church
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by jnrbayano(m): 12:05pm On Nov 28, 2013

God bless you."
Italo, I always admire your posts here kudos my bro.
@Op take his advice because it centres on the James verse you put out talking about "faith with good works". Someone like you who had had these awful experiences, not once, could be the change needed and you can't do that sitting and watching Man Utd's game while procession is on.
However, your annoyance against evil is commendable. God bless you.
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by jnrbayano(m): 12:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
POPE II: The Catholic church doesn't teach violence , so what happened is an unfortunate event but not the teaching of the holy Catholic church
Exactly and these guys may or may not be Catholic youths.
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by italo: 12:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
@OP,

I'm glad that you appreciate my post and that you're already serving one way or the other. Pls keep up the good work.

I didn't say "don't be a critic." It is good, even holy, to criticize what is bad.

I said "dont just be a critic who does nothing to build."

That...would be a sin.

May God continue to inspire us to fight what is bad and work for what is good.

Amen.
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by italo: 12:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
jnrbayano:
Italo, I always admire your posts here kudos my bro.
@Op take his advice because it centres on the James verse you put out talking about "faith with good works". Someone like you who had had these awful experiences, not once, could be the change needed and you can't do that sitting and watching Man Utd's game while procession is on.
However, your annoyance against evil is commendable. God bless you.

Thanks.
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by italo: 12:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
bizmahn:
Face the glaring fact,How many of the 2 billion catholics are born again & heaven ready.I've been a catholic & I know the answer before I left & I sure can tell that the OP is saying the honest truth not just about the youth but the generality.Why? Because they've never been to calvary & the teachings point them more to mary & purgatory gives them excuse to sin.
You say catholics have a greater population.......hell also boasts of greater population & no wonder.Have you observed that where ever sin exists,such places usually have the greater population whether in this world,in churches or probably in the spiritual.My friend repent & forget about religious bigotry.

There are people who go around, day and night, snooping for any available opportunity to condemn the Catholic Church.

And they accuse others of "religious bigotry."

May God not treat them the way they treat his Church. Amen.
Re: My Experiences With Some Catholic Youths During "Corpus Christi" by jnrbayano(m): 4:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
italo:

Thanks.
Daalu my brother.

(1) (Reply)

Inviting Tithing Propagators- How Do You Know If Your Pastor Is A True Mog? / Was This New Pope Just Chosen To Make The Catholic Church Cool And Liberal? PR? / Unaswered Question-who Made God?etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.