Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44188 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tittos: 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nawa o..Why are u lying like this.who marries from other tribes more than the igbos..My sister is married to an edo man and so many igbo ladies and guys are married to other tribes.count the number of Nigerian celebrities married to other tribes and a handful of them are igbos .Even our neighbour is married to yoruba.Is Buhari's child not married to igbo and Obasanjo's child too(You can google them)..Igbos have no problem marrying anybody,wether their tribe or not(at least the ones I know).I've never seen an igbo lady(or any lady for that matter) that tribe has to do with her dream man..Its always,height,money,complexion and other unnecessary things which at the end of the day their husband may not even have.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by adeyrule(m): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
Me too I want to knw ooo d reason ooo even my gf too s saying her mum won't allow her marry yoruba n I love her so much,no b say I no c yoruba lady marry oo bt I jus luv dat girl
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by sniperliz(f): 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
I disagree with op, I have lived in virtually all states in south south, and our men tend to marry the indigenes of the various state in which they reside..... 60% of Igbo men marry outside....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Ugom38(f): 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
tbagjames: Am dating an igbo gal,mehn,those gals have character,but i know when time comes to take that bold step,her father's cutlass will the the last resort

cheesy you are welcome wink
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by rman: 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
They do... look closely around you.

The choice of word, " DETEST " in your topic is wrong.

There maybe more intra Igbo marriages than other tribes in Nigeria, that doesn't mean they detest marrying outside their tribe.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by nerodenero: 2:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
The OP's caption or topic is subjective.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
i will not marry an Igbo woman, the angel of my life is an Edo woman and am proud of her
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Xpset: 2:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
because its only there igbo mate that understand and can manage dem. aside from that I still get scared whenever I travel to east for fear of being eating let alone giving an igbo man a wife to eat

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
The hell?

This s'hit made the front page?

undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Chinom(m): 2:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Because "Ofe Oha, Onugbu and Nsala"are a must on the dinner table. Only a correct Igbo lady will make them the way we like them. None of those "oil soup and banga stuff.
they are the most beautiful too.

17 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tittos: 2:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
ngozievergreen: an Igbo lady will not like to marry from another tribe.
Usu igbos grow up to think they need to marry from within, such that even if a guy works in niger republic, he must come back home when he is ready for marriage.
thats y xmas and easter are not just festive seasons in d east but times to check out them babes.
Mere interstate marriage is some news in my hometown not to talk of inter tribe.
Most inter tribal marriages involving an Igbo occurred/occurs due to some strong chance, say due to pre marital pregnancy or prolonged living in a non eastern location where friendship ties might be built with non igbos, these 2 factors affect the females more.
My sister lived and grew up in the east..she did all her schooling here and she married an edo guy who lives in abuja,no one cared about it..the only thing that generated a bit controversy was that the dude attebded a pentecostal church,while we are catholics,but suprisingly he switched to catholic church and got baptised. That immediately shut my uncle up. Btw,they still attend catholic church together

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by lertee(f): 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
It is not igbos alone that are advised to marry within their clan,many tribes in nigeria do not support their child marrying from other tribes. So it is a Nigerian thing and not igbo's alone.
For every inter tribal marriage today in Nigeria,there was strong opposition in the beginning but due to pleas or force,the folks agreed eventually.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Saraha1(f): 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
I can't marry tribe which I don't understand.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tonypeaches: 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Capableben: One hardly sees an ibo man succumb to marrying a lady from a contrasting origin.
The few that end up marrying ladies from other tribes are always scolded at or not given much support.. Why is this so Is it culturally inclined? maybe other ladies are not as good as good as igbo ladies

Give me answers!
its only an Igbo woman that can raise a real man

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by heo88(m): 2:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is a non topic. I am igbo but born and bred in london and I'm more likely to marry a non-igbo woman because igbo women where I live are extinct... mehn we have beautiful women from all over naij o, me I'm an equal opportunities somebody cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
Our girls are usualy faithfull. Unlyk other girls who are faithless!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by mysticgal(f): 2:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
i may not marry from another tribe undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by kekakuz(m): 2:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
tonypeaches: [color=#990000][/color]its only an Igbo woman that can raise a real man
no wonder there are no ibo armed robbers atall
madt man

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Kassidy90(m): 2:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end
No go there at all, if a woman want to b faithful it doesn't have anything to do with her tribe...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by arantess: 2:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Capableben: One hardly sees an ibo man succumb to marrying a lady from a contrasting origin.
The few that end up marrying ladies from other tribes are always scolded at or not given much support.. Why is this so Is it culturally inclined? maybe other ladies are not as good as good as igbo ladies

Give me answers!
stop talking trash, the same could be said of other tribes too
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tbagjames(m): 2:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
nnenna.1:
The hell?

This s'hit made the front page?

undecided
no,middle page
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tbagjames(m): 2:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
stardragon: Our girls are usualy faithfull. Unlyk other girls who are faithless!
faithless ni?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by 50calibre(m): 2:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
One major reason Igbos ( and other tribes too ) prefer to marry from their tribe, is difference in culture. It's really hard for two people of different backgrounds & cultures to bond, there are so many challenges to overcome.

It's a fear of breaking from routine, most old fashioned Igbo families want their sons & daughters to marry from their tribe, it's what they are used to, it's what they know.

An Igbo guy would probably want to his wife to be able to communicate in Igbo, cook Igbo delicacies his mum used to cook, nurture his children in an Igbo way, sing Igbo lullabies for his kids, wear traditional attire like his mum used to wear, integrate into his family with ease like his mum did his dad's.. It's nature, everyone want to be with his own kind.

This applies to other tribes as well.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 28, 2013

Give me answers!

Rubbish.... Where did u get ur statistics from? My aunt was married to an Igbo man, and they blessed with 8 KIDS...

There is nothing special about any type of ethnic women but people who choose to marry from another ethnicity see a man/woman they love that happens to be from 'other' ethnicity......

I can marry a woman that I love that happens to be from Angola....

It is very false to say that women from a particular ethnicity are better than others..... Very false because what makes 1 man/woman desirable over another is how well you get along with the person and not because of his/her ethnicity...

Ethnicity is just by chance, especially in the olden days when our ancestors roamed around. When we put too much meaning into it, we miss the point....

Lagos for example has a significant amount of slave descendants in her population.. How are we sure that all the slaves that returned to lagos were originally taken from southwest?

Let's not fool ourselves that some women from 1 ethnic group are better than others.... It's just a matter of individual preferences.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by felifeli: 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
Na dem sabi. Who wan marry Igbo sef? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tosingcfr(m): 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end

I'm presently in an igbo village,I know of a lady who commits adultery. Is that your definition of faithfulness Don't generalise please

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by cooljude(m): 2:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
Its common within every tribe every where in the world. We want to marry someone who shares the same ideology, custom, tradition and someone who could easily understand your world view. There are a lot of easterners that are married to other tribes, inshort the list is endless. I would love to hook up with an easterner as i am one but seriously i have never dated a fellow ibo girl maybe because i hardly travel for chrismas festivities in the village.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
It is a general belief that igbo women don't mess around while married
That's the cause of the high bride price and the reason why igbo men don't like to marry out.on the bride price day,the kinsmen will always call the bride aside and tell her "stick to you husband no matter what"
I know guys like that that's why they keep coming for more

Even other tribes come to igbo to marry
The most proposals I ever got were from non-igbo guys. Which led me to believe that non-igbos love igbo women

Of course there are exceptions to the rule.and times are changing. Igbo people especially our women are marrying into other tribes without bias nowadays.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.