Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years (11404 Views)

A Street In Onitsha After Heavy Rain / Public Water Supply Restored In The City Of Onitsha (pictures) / Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Princess2be(f): 3:59am On Nov 27, 2013
There was a good reason for jubilation among residents of 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha penultimate week when all of a sudden water began to gush out from dry taps, a phenomenon that has not been witnessed in the past 12 years.

After assumption of office, Governor Peter Obi had tackled the water problem of Onitsha only to discover that it was not an easy task. The major water works for Onitsha known as Nkissi Water Works that used to supply water to the old Onitsha residents had been submerged by flood and erosion and required huge sums of money to restore. Besides, the water project had been neglected for the past 12 years and the antiquated equipment had got rickety and rusty needing replacement.

But penultimate week, water once again ran on the dry taps and sent residents of parts of Onitsha and the Army Barracks jumping up for joy. It was a fruit of renewed effort to give Onitsha people water.

A few weeks earlier, the state government paid out N1.8 billion to a South African water company, PC Africa in a brief ceremony and a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed after inspection tour of the major facility of the Nkissi Water Project.

During a ceremony that was witnessed by the European Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr. David MacRae, and the traditional ruler of the town, Igwe Alfred Achebe, who commended Obi for the restoration of Onitsha going on apiece, Governor Obi said that the choice of a foreign company was for a thorough job. More so, according to him, when the company had done work of such magnitude in different parts of the world.

Obi said at the occasion that he decided to make full payment in order not to entertain excuses for non-performance or delays, and apologized to the people of the town for the late intervention, saying it was because of things did not work out according to plans earlier made for the resuscitation of the scheme.

Speaking earlier, the Commissioner for Water Resources and Public Utilities in the state, Dr. Emeka Nwankwu, lamented that Onitsha, with a population of four million is having potable water problem.

Nwankwu recalled that by 2006, when the Federal Government rehabilitated some water schemes in the country, Onitsha did not benefit because the state and federal government were at the time engaged in a feud. According to Nwankwu, when Obi became Governor, he tried and was able to get the federal government to include it, but Funtai, the company handling it in spite of receiving bridging loan from the state government which ran into hundreds of millions of naira, had its own problems.

So, water began to run again, it was as a result of these accumulated effort. The test runs commenced in towns around Onitsha which include Army Barracks, Okpoko, Industrial layout, Awada, Awka road, Cemetery, Nkpor, Obosi and the likes. Two borehole fields are now being test-run and search and fix operation has begun in the areas the borehole fields would cover.
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/11/onitsha-braces-water-supply-12-years-1/

11 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by JECBOSS: 4:01am On Nov 27, 2013
Peter Obi is really working hard.
He is a Responsible, Accountable, Prudent and Visionary Leader.
Hit the 'LIKE' button for Him

53 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Omexonomy: 5:54am On Nov 27, 2013
What are the duties of elected governos ?
Peter obi and fashole are the next best thing to happen to nigeria after rotten fried yam and smelling beans.

4 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by gratiaeo(m): 7:07am On Nov 27, 2013
Peter Obi carry on

5 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 27, 2013
Cue anti-APGA noisemakers in 3......2.......1.......

2 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Nnewi1stSon: 8:53am On Nov 27, 2013
Commendable wink
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by taharqa: 9:00am On Nov 27, 2013
Good....
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 27, 2013
It is not enough to restore water supply to Onitsha and it environs, govt must work out a SYSTEM that will ensure it is SUSTAINABLE and consistently avialable.

5 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by KwoiZabo(m): 9:21am On Nov 27, 2013
Omexonomy: What are the duties of elected governos ?
Peter obi and fashole are the next best thing to happen to nigeria after rotten fried yam and smelling beans.
Thank God you reffered to him as FashOLE because we have not seen such in Lagos. No good road let alone water.

This post is yet to hit front page, had it been it is Aregbe building 3.5km runway it would have hit front page.

Instead of APC e-rats to leave sentiments and hold their leaders accountable they are all over social media shouting Onwa today and 'Jonathan' tomorrow. No wonder they are called Facebook party while APGA and PDP are grassroot parties.

Thumbs up Okwute ndi Igbo, Our beloved Governor Dr. Peter Obi.

10 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by rafindo(m): 10:51am On Nov 27, 2013
Sometimes i wonder the mental strength been exhibited here in nigeria.how can sane people rejoice over the provision of safe water,access to good health care,education nd road as favours government owes us as citizens,it is a joke to dividends of goverance.we have lost the sense to know wat is our right,wat we deserve,wat we need nd wat is a favour to all these elites who are criminals. A pity indeed.

9 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by JECBOSS: 11:06am On Nov 27, 2013
KwoiZabo: Thank God you reffered to him as FashOLE because we have not seen such in Lagos. No good road let alone water.

This post is yet to hit front page, had it been it is Aregbe building 3.5km runway it would have hit front page.

Instead of APC e-rats to leave sentiments and hold their leaders accountable they are all over social media shouting Onwa today and 'Jonathan' tomorrow. No wonder they are called Facebook party while APGA and PDP are grassroot parties.

Thumbs up Okwute ndi Igbo, Our beloved Governor Dr. Peter Obi.

1 Like

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by kubi240: 11:12am On Nov 27, 2013
[quote
author=rafindo]Sometimes i wonder the mental strength been exhibited
here in nigeria.how can sane people rejoice over the provision of safe
water,access to good health care,education nd road as favours government
owes us as citizens,it is a joke to dividends of goverance.we have lost
the sense to know wat is our right,wat we deserve,wat we need nd wat is
a favour to all these elites who are criminals. A pity indeed.[/quote]nigerians dt know thier rights that is y they ar messed up

1 Like

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Zonacom(m): 11:38am On Nov 27, 2013
Sustainability. Thats what we want
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by investnow2013: 11:55am On Nov 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: It is not enough to restore water supply to Onitsha and it environs, govt must work out a SYSTEM that will ensure it is SUSTAINABLE and consistently avialable.
I must commend Mr Peter Obi for the humility of apologizing for the delay in giving water to This great City!. This is unlike Nigerian Politicians!. I want to advise Mr PETER OBI to Provide as a matter of urgency borehole water supply to This great City of Commerce & Industry-ONITSHA now for use as emergence water supply until the main Onitsha Waterworks starts in April 2014 to avoid Water bore disease!

1 Like

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Youngzedd(m): 12:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
What a fatal lie.

12 years ke, 12 years ni.

I enjoyed water during Ngige regime but stopped working not long He (Ngige) stepped down.

There was power supply during the time of Ngige.

Prove me wrong if you can.

When will this present government stop deceiving us, on top of our money

Rubbish news.

9 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by oneeast: 3:37pm On Nov 27, 2013
Anambra adigo nma..
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by 9inches(m): 7:51am On Dec 09, 2013
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by ifyalways(f): 10:13am On Dec 09, 2013
Youngzedd: What a fatal lie.

12 years ke, 12 years ni.

I enjoyed water during Ngige regime but stopped working not long He (Ngige) stepped down.

There was power supply during the time of Ngige.

Prove me wrong if you can.

When will this present government stop deceiving us, on top of our money

Rubbish news.
This is true to some extent. During Ngige's regime tap water suplly was working albeit on rotation basis. Twice each week,each area gets sure tap water. Obi's tenure was first,no tap water for months on end then once a month or once in two months supply.

Light was good during Ngige's tenure,It got better with Obi. smiley
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
only in Nigeria.
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by butpro(m): 5:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
grin grin grin Fresh air ........... Muhehehehehe ;
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Smartjeezy(m): 5:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
12Years? OMG!

1 Like

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by mustaphagreens(m): 6:03pm On Dec 09, 2013
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Afam4eva(m): 6:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
I never knew government still provided water to the public. I've long given up hope in that sector. Let them stick with power. besides, i don't want a situation whereby these government people will start putting love portion into the water so that we can vote for them grin

4 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by sammyjay3(m): 6:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
SMH. Only in Nigeria
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by martronilla: 6:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
hurray!
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by deskossy(m): 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
...Ameachi see your mate...and you are seeking 200million U.s to provide water...smh

3 Likes

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Ikegift4real(m): 6:07pm On Dec 09, 2013
Gud news. . But fear d rusty water. . Willie will work.
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by pembisco(m): 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
Sm1 shuld pls tribalise dis threath 4 me b4 i baf finish
Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by pembisco(m): 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
Sm1 shuld pls tribalise dis thread 4 me b4 i baf finish

1 Like

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by nationwide1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
A plus for Peter Obi. Government is about the people and projects like this directly impact on the people. I respect leaders who let their work blow the trumpets for them.

1 Like

Re: Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
Fixed! I live in Onitsha and Sth like that never happened. Maybe ur Landlord drilled a borehole without U knowing it. Once Again i say Fixed, Infact times Five. Plz U guys should look into my Siggy!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APA Drags Okorocha To Tribunal, Claims Votes Cast Outnumbered Pvcs Collected / WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa / El-rufa’i Dashed People’s Hopes — Kaduna Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.