Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

How To Make The Perfect Jollof Rice W/chicken Tomato Stew & Fried Plantains! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make The Perfect Jollof Rice W/chicken Tomato Stew & Fried Plantains! (1957 Views)

Ofe Akwu Vs Tomato Stew / How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Make The Perfect Jollof Rice W/chicken Tomato Stew & Fried Plantains! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 27, 2013
A little teaser first.....NOTE: NO CHICKEN ON THE PIX. MAKE MEN NO GO BITE THEIR PHONE/PC SCREENS cool

OK LEGGGOOOO!

Jollof rice and chicken stew with plantain is a very popular dish around Africa, especially in Nigeria, Ghana and many other places.

It has even become popular around America and Europe.

Most people know how to make Jollof rice and Chicken stew, but everyone has different ways of making it. If you’re one of those struggling to get that perfect rice or chicken stew, my step by step guide will break this down for you.

Ingredients needed :
[i]1 medium bag of rice
Palm oil or olive oil (both work but palm oil gives it more taste)
2 large onion
3 jars/cans of chopped tomatoes (or 6 to 8 real tomatoes if you prefer)
4/6 Pieces of Chicken
5 maggie stock cubes (vegtable stock cubes)
2/3 small red peppers
thyme
2 or 3 ripe yellow plantains
white pepper
Curry powder (optional)
salt
wate[/i]r

Directions:
[i][Note][/i]Wash your rice through out with cold water to remove the starch and any dirt. Put on boil with plenty water, add a little salt. boil your chicken in a large pot with 2 stock cubes, water and salt to taste.[/Note]

First we will start with your jollof rice!

Step 1 – Preparing your sauce! – Add 1 can/tin of chopped tomatoes into a blender or mixing bowl if your using a hand blended. (or 3 tomatoes if you are not using tinned ones) now chop 1 red pepper and also add to the blender. Add 1 table spoon of salt to taste. Blend and put aside.

Step 2 – Get a large pan/pot and add about 3 table spoons of palm oil/olive oil. heat and then add 1 chopped onion with 1 or 2 stock cubes and allow to fry.

Step 3 – now pour your sauce into the pan of oil and onion. Add 1 tea spoon of thyme and 1 table spoon of white pepper. add a little salt to taste. now allow to cook for 5/7 minutes.

Step 4 – When your rice is ready (soft but not too soft!) drain and start adding to your pot of sauce. add it all at once if you like. Mix the rice together with the sauce and then add 2 small cups of hot water. Now add 2 table spoons of curry powder. (optional) i personally like to add curry powder as i like the taste. Allow to cook/boil for 30 minutes (stir every 5 minutes so it wont completely stick to the pot)

Now on to the chicken tomato stew!

Step 1 – when your chicken is ready, drain and place on tin foil then sprinkle a little salt and pepper over it then rap the tin foil around it then place in the oven for 10 minutes. this will give it a nice grilled taste. Now get your blender and add 2 cans/jars of chopped tomatoes (or 6 real tomatoes – if your using real tomatoes, use 2 table spoons of tomato puree as well) also add 1 red pepper to your blender with a little salt and pepper. blend and put aside.

step 2 – Heat your pot and add 3 table spoons of palm oil, allow to heat. Chop 1 onion and add to the pot and allow to fry for 5 minutes.

Step 3 – Now add your blended mixture to the pot and allow to cook for 15 minutes.

Step 4 – Remove your chicken from the oven and add to your pot and mix through with the tomato sauce.

Final step – Slice your plantain and simply fry! you can use a frying pan with oil or a deep fryer. (frying pan is healthier as it contains less oil) But the choice is entirely up to you!

Now check on your rice, it should be ready by now! If the water has dried up and your rice is fluffy and not stuck in one big lump, then its ready! smiley

Now serve with your chicken and plantain and enjoy! cheesy

SOURCE: MY MUM

1 Like

Re: How To Make The Perfect Jollof Rice W/chicken Tomato Stew & Fried Plantains! by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
Great recipe! cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can You Buy This SACHET Water(photo) / How Deos It Feel Like When You Taste This Drink / Checkout The Bread Pack I Saw In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.