Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems (17417 Views)

Why GMB May Not Get To Aso Rock Despite The Ongoing Overwhelming Victory / Presidency Directs Retention Of PHCN Workers By New Owners For 6 Months / Power: Jonathan Presents Licences, Shares Certificates To 14 New Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Bash92(m): 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2013
New owners of electricity generation and distribution companies on Wednesday reeled out the multifaceted challenges confronting them since they took over the power firms from the Federal Government.

The investors, who described the setbacks in the sector as “overwhelming,” spoke at the first general meeting organised by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission for new owners of the power distribution and generation companies in Abuja.

They also denied claims that they fired about 50 per cent workers of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria, stressing that the employees were retrenched by the Bureau of Public Enterprises.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Kano Distribution Company, Dr. Jamili Gwamna, said power allocation to his Disco had been far below expectation, a development that had decreased the firm’s revenue “drastically.”

He said, “Our power allocation has been low in recent times. So how on earth will customers pay me and how will I pay money also? There has not been power and when you threaten to disconnect consumers, they tell you to hurry up with the disconnection process.”

Gwamna stated that although, it was not time for Discos to make returns on investment, NERC should appreciate the enormity of the problems that they find on the ground.

The Director, Benin Electricity Distribution Company, Mrs. Funke Osibodu, observed that there was widespread confusion in the public as touching the handover of PHCN to private operators.

She said, “There’s so many confusion in the public and we need to look at how to address this. For instance, the public believe that they are not supposed to pay anything until January; that they shouldn’t be disconnected until then; and they believe they can come and stand in front of you and collect pre-paid metres just like that.”
www.punchng.com/news/power-new-owners-complain-of-overwhelming-problems/
Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by kubi240: 7:32pm On Nov 27, 2013
They taught it was like telecommunications wen u start to reap as early as possible

4 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 27, 2013
pls dont be too fast in looking 4 money now concentrate in service delivery first, becouse nepa n their son phcn had indeed taken Nigerians 4 granted in d past and now in some places

5 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by olufemi26(m): 7:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
Priority should be on generating and distributing power.
Its a long term project and with time they will make their money

1 Like

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by ajasbaba(m): 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2013
HMMMMMM

them don enter one chance.make forget about profit for the next 5yrs because that coy don die tete.but if they are patient they will enjoy later.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Gbawe: 7:54pm On Nov 27, 2013
They are now complaining. Only in Nigeria. Did these shallow and opportunist profiteers, with nil power sector knowledge, not do their feasibility study to see what they are getting into? Wait, I forget it was AGIPs, oligarchs and callous profit-seekers who won ' transparent bids' for conceded power Stations and utilities.

I stand vindicated. Anyone can check the archives to see I talked of the danger of how "pseudo-privatisation" may be all GEJ will deliver given the ultra-corrupt and amoral "awon boyz" government he leads that is midwifing the "privatisation" of our power sector. Everyone heard "privatisation" and the premature jubilation began. We all forget that numerous evidence, far too many to count, show that the current PDP government , just like others before it, is the sort to cynically bastardize and ruin processes by putting personal aggrandizement above everything else . This is why every institution tha should be independent in Nigeria today remains heavily compromised and unable to deliver.

What, as I argued in the past, was wrong with giving, as first line solution in a true federalism, Nigerian States the freedom to device their own electrification solution As Fashola, Amaechi and other serious Governors demanded? Instead we had Abdusalami, a soldier turned Politician, and his rapacious layman sort 'winning' bids all over the place. Not good at all. It was always going to end in tears. Nigerians, enjoy your "privatisation". You deserve it for thinking thieves could care about you when their actions show they live to fleece you. I sincerely hope the "privatisation" of the power sector works for Nigeria but excuse me for being cynical.

44 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by cashkidvsboko(m): 8:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
Gbawe: They are now complaining. Did they not do their feasibility study to see what they are getting into? Wait, I forget it was AGIPs, oligarchs and profit-seekers who 'won' bids for conceded power Stations and utilities. I stand vindicated. Anyone can check the archives to see I talked of the danger of how "pseudo-privatisation" may be all GEJ will deliver given the ultra-corrupt and amoral government he leads that is midwifing the "privatisation" of our power sector. Everyone heard "privatisation" and the premature jubilation began. We all forget that numerous evidence, far too many to count, show that the current PDP government , just like others before it, is the sort to cynically bastardize and ruin processes by putting personal aggrandizement above everything else . This is why every institution tha should be independent in Nigeria today remains heavily compromised and unable to delivey.

What, as I argued in the past, was wrong with giving, as first line solution in a true federalism, Nigerian States the freedom to device their own electrification solution As Fashola, Amaechi and other serious Governors demanded? Instead we had Abdusalami, a soldier turned Politician, and his rapacious layman sort 'winning' bids all over the place. Not good at all. It was always going to end in tears. Nigerians, enjoy your "privatisation". You deserve it for thinking thieves could care about you when their actions show they live to fleece you. I sincerely hope the "privatisation" of the power sector works for Nigeria but excuse me for being cynical.

4 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by taharqa: 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2013
Gbawe: They are now complaining. Only in Nigeria. Did these shallow and opportunist profiteers, with nil power sector knowledge, not do their feasibility study to see what they are getting into? Wait, I forget it was AGIPs, oligarchs and callous profit-seekers who won ' transparent bids' for conceded power Stations and utilities.

I stand vindicated. Anyone can check the archives to see I talked of the danger of how "pseudo-privatisation" may be all GEJ will deliver given the ultra-corrupt and amoral "awon boyz" government he leads that is midwifing the "privatisation" of our power sector. Everyone heard "privatisation" and the premature jubilation began. We all forget that numerous evidence, far too many to count, show that the current PDP government , just like others before it, is the sort to cynically bastardize and ruin processes by putting personal aggrandizement above everything else . This is why every institution tha should be independent in Nigeria today remains heavily compromised and unable to delivey.

@Gbawe, SHUT UP!!! Just SHUT UP, abeg. Biko..

28 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by ballabriggs: 8:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
taharqa: @Gbawe, SHUT UP!!! Just SHUT UP, abeg. Biko..

You should be the one to close your mouth. He has raised valid points which you may agree with or disagree. But typical of a sychophant, you think he is here to make your job difficult.

Energy privatisation is a very technical and complex process which should not be left in the hands of people with little experience of the industry.

29 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2013
Lol @ largest privatization on earth. Okonjo Iwealies

4 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 27, 2013
ballabriggs:

You should be the one to close your mouth. He has raised valid points which you may agree with or disagree. But typical of a sychophant, you think he is here to make your job difficult.

Energy privatisation is very technical and complex process which should not be left in the hands of people with little experience of the industry.

Sycophants believe once the word "privatized" is attached to power sector, problems will disappear.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by taharqa: 8:44pm On Nov 27, 2013
ballabriggs:

Energy privatisation is very technical and complex process which should not be left in the hands of people with little experience of the industry.
SHUT UP tha, too.... See who is trying to 'tell' me about Power Privatisation and its Complexities?? Mtscheeeee.........
Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by ehis010(m): 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2013
story story..... all i want 2 see is improved power as i pay my bills.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by oderemo(m): 8:54pm On Nov 27, 2013
taharqa: SHUT UP tha, too.... See who is trying to 'tell' me about Power Privatisation and its Complexities?? Mtscheeeee.........
Tell us what you know or like the guy said shut up for good.
We are fed up with this I know too much /i know more than you syndrome.

5 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Oshiite: 9:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
So all these people going about disconnecting people in enugu metropolis where we dont haveprepaid,who send them,they even give you the option of paying to them,i hope they are genuine,net time, i will mention the area
Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2013
Vultures and enemies of progress are already congreting on this thread and spewing gibberish. One confused slowpoke has already confirmed the barely one month old privatisation exercise as a failure.

Ladies and gentlemen, are we comparing the over 3 decades old system that delivered nothing but epileptic power or UP-NEPA syndrome and a one month old privatisation era? What exactly is the basis of this prophesy of doom? How foolish, ignorant and petty could these Tinubu slaves be?

As far as I'm concerned, any fair analysis of the new power regime and post-privatisation era should be done 2-3 years post-privatisation. 2-3 years is not more than the over 3 decades of darkness Nigerians endured under the past clueless, rudderless, corrupt and confused govts.

In the past 2-3 weeks, there were 2 reported incidents of vandalism of major gas pipelines that lead to complete shut down of 2 major power plants and loss of about 1,000 megawatts of power. This accounted for drastic power shortage nationwide witnessed within the period. Besides the issue of vandalism, the new owners of the power firms are still settling down, working out new frame work of operation, identifying facilities that have to be upgraded or changed,etc. This will take a few weeks, after which they'll import some new equipments. It will take time for these equipments to arrive and for installations to be made. The new owners do not have supernatural powers to make miracle happen over night.

The e-she-goat talking of true federalism or devolution of powers on this thread should direct attacks at the members of the NASS, the bulk of whom are APC members who are under COMPLETE control of his master Tinubu. The NASS are the lawmakers with powers to amend the constitution. Yes the president can play a role in bringing about the much desired true federalism but if he pushes too hard on this issue, they'll simply tag him as anti-north.

29 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Bash92(m): 9:49pm On Nov 27, 2013
I dont like agreeing with the APC guys on politics issue but he raised good questions
Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by awodman: 9:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Gbawe: They are now complaining. Only in Nigeria. Did these shallow and opportunist profiteers, with nil power sector knowledge, not do their feasibility study to see what they are getting into? Wait, I forget it was AGIPs, oligarchs and callous profit-seekers who won ' transparent bids' for conceded power Stations and utilities.

I stand vindicated. Anyone can check the archives to see I talked of the danger of how "pseudo-privatisation" may be all GEJ will deliver given the ultra-corrupt and amoral "awon boyz" government he leads that is midwifing the "privatisation" of our power sector. Everyone heard "privatisation" and the premature jubilation began. We all forget that numerous evidence, far too many to count, show that the current PDP government , just like others before it, is the sort to cynically bastardize and ruin processes by putting personal aggrandizement above everything else . This is why every institution tha should be independent in Nigeria today remains heavily compromised and unable to delivey.

Abeg its too early for you to start Masturbati*ng...

9 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Bash92:
I dont like agreeing with the APC guys on politics issue but he raised good questions

Will they still be ''good questions'' in a year or two's time when power is drastically improved? He talks about the new companies not doing ''feasibility studies'' (he knew this from his toilet seat at home of course), and accuses them of not knowing anything about the power sector, omitting to mention that all of them have major international power firms as their technical partners.

7 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Brimmie(m): 10:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
And who are the Morons that gave you likes?? undecided

18 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by oderemo(m): 10:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Will they still be ''good questions'' in a year or two's time when power is drastically improved? He talks about the new companies not doing ''feasibility studies'' (he knew this from his toilet seat at home of course), and accuses them of not knowing anything about the power sector, omitting to mention that all of them have major international power firms as their technical partners.
So y the complain by these new outfit if the major technical partners
With vast experiences in the power sector are fone call away.?

4 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Gbawe: 10:18pm On Nov 27, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Sycophants believe once the word "privatized" is attached to power sector, problems will disappear.

Exactly. Which brings us to the other point about how most sycophants are usually functional illiterate because their support is blind, clannish and unconditional. Such simplistic and one-dimensional minds have no time for facts, logic or critical thinking.
Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by omenka(m): 10:19pm On Nov 27, 2013
@taharqueer, is this the best you can do

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by omenka(m): 10:32pm On Nov 27, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Will they still be ''good questions'' in a year or two's time when power is drastically improved?
Oh sweet mushrooms!! So he has to wait for a year or two to ask questions when all we've been inundated with since the sham excercise is sheer darkness In the other thread, jonathan,in 2010, talked about putting an end to the use of generators in 2011, but three years on what do we have? The budgetary expenditure on maintaining the generators in Aso Villa has more than doubled over the years and there seems to be no end in sight to the problems! You guys keep shifting the goalpost, soon, i have no doubt, it will end up outside the stadium!

9 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by MeAboki(m): 10:44pm On Nov 27, 2013
I quite agree with this comment from the Kano Managing Director concerning the poor allocation to the State:

"The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Kano
Distribution Company, Dr. Jamili Gwamna, said power
allocation to his Disco had been far below expectation,
a development that had decreased the firm’s
revenue “drastically.” He said, “Our power allocation has been low in
recent times. So how on earth will customers pay me
and how will I pay money also? There has not been
power and when you threaten to disconnect
consumers, they tell you to hurry up with the
disconnection process.”

In fact I was surprised to come across a recent thread in which some ppl in Portharcourt were celebrating 24/7 power supply and was left wondering whether we are in fact sharing the same country and also what may be the national distribution formula/criteria; because most places in the Kano hardly get any light at all, leading to the unfortunate collapse of many of the industries - some are even suggesting it could be deliberate
Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Osgilliat(m): 10:45pm On Nov 27, 2013
To be candid,since the private company had taken over the electricity sector...for ma own area there have been improvement.but jubilating now will be too early.am sure that the main game changer will be the prepaid meter...beccause without power it wont read...and whose loss would that be?the privateer.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by fyneguy: 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2013
taharqa: SHUT UP tha, too.... See who is trying to 'tell' me about Power Privatisation and its Complexities?? Mtscheeeee.........

Taharqa, what do you know about the power sector to warrant telling someone to shut up? Why dont you state your points?

Anyway, I have stated before that this charade called privatization will not solve any problem. I forsee a situation where government will end up revoking licences as a lot of these operators are clueless as to how to go about the issues.

The best approach to this power problem is to allow modular plants strategically installed in local government areas, evacuate and distribute within the locality.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Rad1cal: 10:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
omenka: Oh sweet mushrooms!! So he has to wait for a year or two to ask questions when all we've been inundated with since the sham excercise is sheer darkness In the other thread, jonathan,in 2010, talked about putting an end to the use of generators in 2011, but three years on what do we have? The budgetary expenditure on maintaining the generators in Aso Villa has more than doubled over the years and there seems to be no end in sight to the problems! You guys keep shifting the goalpost, soon, i have no doubt, it will end up outside the stadium!

Please spare us your bullshiit.

The FG handed the firms to these guys not too long ago.

5 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
studio14: pls dont be too fast in looking 4 money now concentrate in service delivery first

My brother, so many things about Nigeria depress me when I think about them, and the absence of genuine acumen and capacity for big business is one of them. It is increasingly clear to me that Nigeria has very few genuine businessmen. What we have are rentiers and profiteers who leverage political/economic connections and exploit loopholes in the system to amass illicit fortunes.

How would you begin a complex and high-value business like power distribution, and instead of patiently building your capacity and establishing efficient service delivery structures, you are already making a fuss about how to collect money from sceptical consumers? Next thing we would hear is that they intend to increase electricity tariffs yet again. Do they not realise that this is a long-term investment?

In fact, I tire for these clowns.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by theoctopus: 12:01am On Nov 28, 2013

Hope you know you have a serious problem. You are always making a fool of yourself at your old age. Nobody needs your tears. No one expected the companies to have it easy, even for the first 2 years. You are too quick to open your mouth and spill garbage. Just shut your trap!

15 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by theoctopus: 12:04am On Nov 28, 2013
fyneguy:

Taharqa, what do you know about the power sector to warrant telling someone to shut up? Why dont you state your points?

Anyway, I have stated before that this charade called privatization will not solve any problem. I forsee a situation where government will end up revoking licences as a lot of these operators are clueless as to how to go about the issues.

The best approach to this power problem is to allow modular plants strategically installed in local government areas, evacuate and distribute within the locality.

Shut up my friend! GO and read your books. You people know how to talk rubbish online. DId they not say the same thing about Telecoms? Yeye ignoramus commenting trash! grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Electricity: New Owners Complain Of ‘overwhelming’ Problems by otokx(m): 12:14am On Nov 28, 2013
Telecoms & power are 2 different industries so let us not compare them. If in 6 months time things do not stabilize then we can begin to think of a post privatization exercise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wali Hands Over To Amina Zakari Following Her Appointment By Pres. Buhari / How Ugochukwu Nwosu Was Murdered In Lagos (Photo) / Osinbajo Attends 86th Anniversary Of Igbobi College (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.