Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? (37395 Views)

3.5g Hsdpa Universal Internet Modem For As Low As N5,799 / Price Of Mtn 3.5g Modems / How Do I Configure Mtn 3.5g Usb Modem To Share Internet To 5 Pc's Using Router (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 12:19am On Aug 29, 2008
@ Ex. if you have issues. call 180. don't take your frustration out on someone here, hmmmmm. chicago, at&t , verizon, dollar, ,
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 10:30am On Aug 29, 2008
@flyuche
@ Ex. if you have issues. call 180. don't take your frustration out on someone here,  hmmmmm.  chicago,  at&t , verizon, dollar,

please grow up and move on. It will do us all a lot of good. Lets share not tear each other apart. Cheers.

Anyone with 3g data card for sale im interested .
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by ExInferis(m): 11:41am On Aug 29, 2008
memento:

@flyuche

please grow up and move on. It will do us all a lot of good. Lets share not tear each other apart. Cheers.

Anyone with 3g data card for sale im interested .

and your idea of moving on is telling me to grow up, abi? well, back at you.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2008
and your idea of moving on is telling me to grow up, abi? well, back at you
unfortunately your aggression does not allow you to see that i was not refering to you. I was actually refering to flyuche, i quoted him, it was he that referd to you. Soo no qualms lets all grow up or show how matured we are by the kind of restrain we exhibit. cheers.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by yubamtech(m): 4:00pm On Aug 29, 2008
@scorpio1 and Jdoss
How did u get urself activated on MTN 3G, i mean the process.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by otokx(m): 12:15pm On Aug 30, 2008
The last posting from your IP was less than 10 seconds ago. Please try again later.

@ALL
MTN is on some proxy of some sort but the speed is quite fast
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by ExInferis(m): 7:28pm On Aug 30, 2008
memento:

unfortunately your aggression does not allow you to see that i was not refering to you. I was actually refering to flyuche, i quoted him, it was he that referd to you. Soo no qualms lets all grow up or show how matured we are by the kind of restrain we exhibit. cheers.

so sorry there, i thought you were referring to me. im over it.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 7:54pm On Aug 30, 2008
so sorry there, i thought you were referring to me. im over it.

dts more like it. Ure welcome.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 1:01am On Aug 31, 2008
for you guys living in PH considering using MTN 3.5G, these are some of the locations where you get the best i mean strong 3G signals: GRA phase II, ogbunabali, garrison, d-line, ikwerre road around kala before rumuokwuta, woji around shell. opposite upth, choba., i will give more locations as i find out.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 1:07pm On Aug 31, 2008
Is lagos totally covered?? where can one get the stronger signals for the 3g??
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by mufasa(m): 3:51am On Sep 01, 2008
All these networks and ISP giving us 3G/broadband packages @ not broadband "speeds" (Both the down link and up link) cant all just want to make a quick buck. Its obvious that there is basic infrastructural insufficiency which doesn't allow em to deliver the real thingy that ex craves about. It aint a bad thing to know your onions and demand to get service you paid for (SERVICOM). We all know PHCN aint gonna deliver 24 hrs power until it goes Nuclear so we should all stop moaning and comparing.
Mtn 3g is OK, I've used almost all the other broadband services in Lagos and it comes top, except for the 3gig cap which really sucks. Hell it even reminds me of my T-mobile 3g in the UK. But cant really compare much cos I've never used that to browse via pc, Sky Broadband takes care of that and believe me it is heaven!
No more mudslinging peeps get back to the bizniz of constructive criticism and helping out the needy!
At ease boys!!!
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by kwadoski: 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2008
Very Good
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by Chuckdee(m): 6:30pm On Sep 01, 2008
Well said Mufasa!!!

Ahead, ahead smiley!!
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by sfinxone(m): 9:32pm On Sep 01, 2008
Guyz have veered so off topic in this thread, I mean cant we all just get along wink . . . .anyway, just wanted to know if anyone knows whether the Starcomms EVDO PCMCIA card has any advantages in terms of performance over the EVDO USB card.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by ExInferis(m): 2:13pm On Sep 03, 2008
sfinxone:

Guys have veered so off topic in this thread, . . . .anyway, just wanted to know if anyone knows whether the Starcomms EVDO PCMCIA card has any advantages in terms of performance over the EVDO USB card.

that too is off topic; the topic is MTN 3.5g.

well, MTN "3g" fanboys here it is: on saturday 30th august my MTN 3G stopped browsing for reasons i couldnt fathom then. on monday i hauled butt to the MTN center and complained. the staff did something on the pc and dutifully informed me that ive exhausted my 3gig quota and infact im now owing MTN 6000 naira. in order to renew my account im expected to pay 16000 naira (10 for a new subscription, 6000 to overwrite the debit).

i was baffled. why? because i used the thing for only 9 days and the heaviest downloads ive doe are as follows:

1. iphone firmware @ 243mb

2. itunes 7.7.1 @60.9mb

3. winpwn 2.5 @19mb

4. N95 software update @115mb

6. Itunes AppStore downloads (apps and podcasts) @168mb

giving 605.9mb

those are all the downloads i did.

the remaining usage was posting in forums including nairaland.

now this is far from my 3Gigs quota so i failed to see how i could have used everything up to the point of accumulating almost 1.5gigs extra on credit.

well, one of the staff there, an old classmate, informed me that there is something horribly wrong with the billing system for postpaid customers which leads to indiscriminate and rather bizarre billing. i was told that someone a coule of days ago was found out to be owing around 400,000! the staffer told me this mostly affects postpaid customers and that he himself has discarded the service altogether. those on prepaid dont seem to be affected.

in any case i migrated to prepaid and paid off, but now i do all my downloads on the wifi broadband in my office inspite of the ISP's lockdown policy on using download accelerators. i get 30gigs for 20,000 which isnt too shabby.

anyway, i dont think this problem is endemic to kaduna alone since the billing servers are in lagos. i advise anyone on postpaid 24/7 to keep a keen eye on their downloads or they may well be unpleasantly surprised.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 7:18pm On Sep 04, 2008
a word is enough for the wise. ,
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by otokx(m): 8:33am On Sep 05, 2008
how can one know the status of his data card and then migrate it to prepaid?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by sfinxone(m): 1:07pm On Sep 05, 2008
@Ex inferis

I understood ur previous beef cause telling me I'm stupid (albeit indirectly as someone did to u) would have pissed me off too.

But chill na, u wan fight with everybody ne? grin

I started this topic cause I wanted people's opinion before deciding which operator to consider for data services. I talked bout MTN's cause they have good 3G coverage (I stay in Kaduna too, so guys Ex inferis is right about 3G here) and at the time they did not indicate any download limit. I'm a heavy downloader and I'm still weighing my options hence the Starcomms Question (which is still about data service).
Thanx for all contributions,
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by sfinxone(m): 1:40pm On Sep 05, 2008
With that kind of billing I'm afraid to go Mtn's way.

@Ex Infris
How far with ur browsing speed on Mtn, any improvement?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by ExInferis(m): 4:31pm On Sep 05, 2008
sfinxone:

With that kind of billing I'm afraid to go Mtn's way.

@Ex Infris
How far with your browsing speed on Mtn, any improvement?

hallo, fellow comrade in arms. i still get 44kbps. and i live near a mast.

i didnt set out to offend anyone but at the same time i wasnt in a mood to let insults bounce off me.

in any case it seemed my whole point was missed so permit me to clear the air.

my outrage against MTN was infromed by the misleading information they employ in marketing the 3G service. i have had the privilege of using proper 3G broadband and the least i get is a real world value of 700kbps (except once when it hovered around 300 for a few hours).
that being said, i fail to see how MTN can,with a straight face, claim that their service is broadband. its nothing short of disguised EDGE (which is a glorified GPRS) or throttled UMTS at best.

its time we put s stop to this.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by otokx(m): 6:21pm On Sep 05, 2008
No be to leave under abi on top mast be the koko for this MTN toy. The area has to be 3G confirmed. My area na GPRS i dey rock but not up to like 1km away na HSDPA dey reign. How does one get out of the post paid package and into the pre paid?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by sfinxone(m): 8:56pm On Sep 05, 2008
otokx:

No be to leave under abi on top mast be the koko for this MTN toy. The area has to be 3G confirmed. My area na GPRS i dey rock but not up to like 1km away na HSDPA dey reign. How does one get out of the post paid package and into the pre paid?

I don't get it, is it so hard to believe that there's 3G service in Kaduna?. As Ex inferis has already posted earlier He resides under 3G coverage. Believe it or not, Mtn have wide 3G coverage in Kaduna.

Ex Inferis:

hallo, fellow comrade in arms. i still get 44kbps. and i live near a mast.

i didnt set out to offend anyone but at the same time i wasnt in a mood to let insults bounce off me.

in any case it seemed my whole point was missed so permit me to clear the air.

my outrage against MTN was infromed by the misleading information they employ in marketing the 3G service. i have had the privilege of using proper 3G broadband and the least i get is a real world value of 700kbps (except once when it hovered around 300 for a few hours).
that being said, i fail to see how MTN can,with a straight face, claim that their service is broadband. its nothing short of disguised EDGE (which is a glorified GPRS) or throttled UMTS at best.

its time we put s stop to this.

I totally agree with you, the companies should advertise the exact speed they provide and charge accordingly for the service. I put the blame solely on NCC's doorsteps cause as the regulator they have been doing a shoddy job. Don't know what Ahmed Joda (Chairman) and Ernest Ndukwe (Vice) are still doing there!
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 10:41pm On Sep 05, 2008
i agree with you guys about the cost. it's rather exploitative. 10k for 3GB/month? glo even tried by crashing their tariff to 10k and putting the cap at 5GB, problem is they are just available in Lagos for now.
@ ex inferis. honestly. i don't get that kind of speed with mtn 3.5G. try using your 3G phone as a modem. see if it makes any difference.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by saddik(m): 1:22am On Sep 06, 2008
PLEASE TELL ME. R U SAYING IF I HAVE A 3G ENABLED PHONE AND PAY 10K I CAN GET CONNECTED THRU MTN 3G?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by samir101ng(m): 2:12am On Sep 06, 2008
Yes
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by saddik(m): 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2008
samir101ng:

Yes

Thanks Samir, But i need to know how the payment is? WIll i load d 10km on phone or i will pay @ their office.

And what if i pay at their office, can i browse when i have 0.00 Naira on my phone.

Cheers.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 3:39pm On Sep 06, 2008
@saddik. No you don't have any business at MTN office, just text 101 to 131, ofcourse you would have 10k in account before you do that. And make sure you have HSDPA(3.5G) phone e.g Nokia 51, Nokia 6120c,
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by saddik(m): 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2008
flyuche:

@saddik. No you don't have any business at MTN office, just text 101 to 131, ofcourse you would have 10k in account before you do that. And make sure you have HSDPA(3.5G) phone e.g Nokia 51, Nokia 6120c,

I have an N73 and its 3g compatible. But if im browsing as in using my phone as a modem, can i still receive and make calls without interfering with my browsing/connection etc.

And would i use the Nokia Pc suite to setup the settings or whould i use a different software.

Thanks Bro.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 5:25pm On Sep 06, 2008
glo even tried by crashing their tariff to 10k and putting the cap at 5GB, problem is they are just available in Lagos for now.

really?? thats news to me, Let the competition begin, mtn shey u hear?? Celtel we r waiting, 3g here we comeeeeeeee
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by gsolution(m): 5:40pm On Sep 06, 2008
come to talk of Postpaid is 11k or somethin like that,and u don't have to buy the modem from them). Prepaid I think is just pay as you go which is charged at like 35 kobo a KB. even there's another way round that u can browse with mtn without you being charged any amount.
want to know more of dis visit,
ww
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by ExInferis(m): 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2008
otokx:

3G is still radio wave and like any kind of wave it drops of as you fan out away from the base station. those closer to the transceiver will no doubt receive better service and i only pointed that out because someone was suggesting that perhaps my 3G signal is weak. in any case weak signal means connection dropouts and dead spots and not necessarily low speeds.

flyuche:

i agree with you guys about the cost. it's rather exploitative. 10k for 3GB/month? glo even tried by crashing their tariff to 10k and putting the cap at 5GB, problem is they are just available in Lagos for now.
@ ex inferis. honestly. i don't get that kind of speed with mtn 3.5G. try using your 3G phone as a modem. see if it makes any difference.

i HAVE tried an N95 and a samsung F480 while my bro uses an N80. same thing. it also hapens when i go to Abuja (Wuse 2, not far from Sherif Plaza). it does not matter the kind of modem used as long as its HSDPA/UMTS capable. the rated realworld CONSISTENT speed is still 700kbps for 3.5G and slightly less on very bad days. on Etisalat in the UAE you can get a connection link of up to 7.2mbps!

listen, i dont dispute MTN is good, but only in comparison to the other so-called internet offerings out there, particularly for a dialup user or cafe regular. when you are used to getting less than 10kbps in your local cafe doubtless you will take MTN as a godsent bailout. afterall, 44kbps or even 120kbps is heaven in comparison to 10kbps.

but thats as far as the merit goes.

look at it this way: say you are in the market for a very fast car and you come across a salesman pitching a decked out Hooptie that he claims goes from 0 to 250 kilometers an hour in 3 seconds. you willingly pay because that acceleration is what you have been dreaming of. now you zoom off and discovered to your indignation that the blessed Hooptie can only go u to 250kph AFTER 3 MINUTES!. now, are you going to fold up your hands and accept the ripoff as a fact of life or will you demand for a refund and, if not possible, grumble publicly so others are forewarned about the kind of shady deal the salesman offers?

did that put my gripe in perspective?

sometimes you demand honesty when you are parting with money and one would expect MTN and like-minded folks to at least put up a small print owning up to the fact that their 3G offering may be degraded in certain places. if you dont whine about being short-changed, you have effectively become an enabler of con artists.

10 thousand naira is not peanuts by any Nigeria standard no matter your take-home pay. and the 3gig cap makes it a lot worse, i mean what am i paying 10k for if i cant download videos and games and cant stream content for a whole month? what did i pay for, wikipedia?

if most of you knew the kind of high speed unlimited internet service half of that money can fetch you on the same technology, probably you will feel cheated as well. its time we stop eveil corporations stealing from us. the government has done a remarkable job looting our collective wealth and now the private corporations are fleecing us as well. when do we say enough?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 1:57am On Sep 07, 2008
@sadikk. your nokia pc suite is ok. in 3G mode you can make and receive calls without disruption in connection.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

USA Used HP Elite Book 8460 core i5 For Sale. / 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced / Surf The Web Anonymously!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.