Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:42 AM

A Must Read. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Must Read. (3682 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 1:36am On Jul 23, 2008
If you an Igbo man or woman and you've not read the book Half Of A Yellow Sun by Ngozi Adichie, pls hurry to Amazon.com or wherever you get your books and pick up a copy. The used one is less that $10.00 very cheap if you ask me. The book is  the the most captivating book I've ever read trust me. I just finished reading mine and seriously I don't know if I can ever face a Hausa person without hate spilling out of my veins.
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 1:39am On Jul 23, 2008
Ijiji1:

If you an Igbo man or woman and you've not read the book Half Of A Yellow Sun by Ngozi Adichie, plseas hurry to Amazon.com or wherever you get your books and pick up a copy. The used one is less that $10.00 very cheap if you ask me. The book is the the most captivating book I've ever read trust me. I just finished reading mine and seriously I don't know if I can ever face a Hausa person without hate spilling out of my veins.

Ijiji welu nwayo Nwanne m nwoke
Kanayo Chukwu.
Ndi Igbo kwezuenu !
O gadi nma
Infact,O di si go nma
Igbo kwenu!

Onye obuna si na Igbo ama ebi
Ka okuko chua ya oso
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 1:42am On Jul 23, 2008
Onye si na ndi Igbo g'anwu
Ka carpenter onye Igbo kwa Igbe ozu ya
Re: A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 1:44am On Jul 23, 2008
I swear, I was in tears when I finished reading that book, why did God let such horrible things happen to innocent people? God help me but that is just not right  angry
Re: A Must Read. by Ezinwannem: 1:45am On Jul 23, 2008
@poster, it was only 2day that I recommended da book in one thread in this forum. She is a good writer. I neva used 2 enjoy novel until I read one of her novels "purple hibiscus ". I love her books and Half of a Yellow Sun is so educating, teaching about Biafra War in a storylike way. I LOVE IT,
Re: A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 1:50am On Jul 23, 2008
Same here I never used to read Nigerian novels till I read Half Of A Yellow Moon and I just placed an order for purple hibiscus. All I can say is WOW!!
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 1:52am On Jul 23, 2008
I saw the pictures of Biafra on youtube and I couldn't eat and sleep.
I was almost depressed.
The suffering is not compared to anything.
The stories my mom and grandmom told me meant nothing until I saw those youtube clips.

My great uncles told us of hausas and northerners dragging off Easterners off moving trains.People who were fleeing  already o, slaughtering them in cold blood.
This was in 1966 before the war even started.
Trains started off in Jos full of Igbos but by the time it got to Nsukka area it was full of corpses and near corpses.
I hate reading about the Biafran war,it brings me to tears.

That's why I bring out my claws whenever I hear people talk nasty of Igbos because it was the same hatred that led to genocide of Igbos in Northern Nigeria before the war even started.
Re: A Must Read. by debosky(m): 1:54am On Jul 23, 2008
Ijiji1:

If you an Igbo man or woman and you've not read the book Half Of A Yellow Sun by Ngozi Adichie, please hurry to Amazon.com or wherever you get your books and pick up a copy. The used one is less that $10.00 very cheap if you ask me. The book is the the most captivating book I've ever read trust me. I just finished reading mine and seriously I don't know if I can ever face a Hausa person without hate spilling out of my veins.

Then maybe people shouldn't read it if it will cause that kind of hatred? undecided

The book exposes a painful matter no doubt, but I think she wanted some understanding. . . . .what about the helpful alhaji in the book? Would you feel hatred at his kind if you saw that too? It simply shows how despicable human beings can be, but it is by no means a holistic treatment of what happened. What is surprising is that very little of the civil war is taught in schools - people are left to learn about it through other means and likely arrive at wrong conclusions.

PS It is a great book, read it January last year.
Re: A Must Read. by Ezinwannem: 1:54am On Jul 23, 2008
@Queenisha, read da book, u will love it. sum few pages were they were describing what was happening ehh, i hated da Hausa's that moment, lol, I love that lady, and damn, she writes so well. Even my white co-worker have read it and about da get da other one, am into Naija novels now, da ones that teach me about our history in a way that Half of a Yellow Sun did cuz I hate history,
Re: A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 1:57am On Jul 23, 2008
God forgive those invaders of our land, I just don't know if my generation and generations after mine can be so forgiving cry
Re: A Must Read. by Ezinwannem: 1:57am On Jul 23, 2008
@Ijiji1, Purple Hibiscius is soo hilarious, da man is simply WEIRD, lol
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 2:01am On Jul 23, 2008
", it (mass starvation) is a legitimate aspect of war, " Anthony Enahoro, Nigerian Commissioner for Information at a press conference in (New York, July 1968)

"Bestialities and indignities of all kinds were visited on Biafrans in 1966. In Ikeja Barracks (Western Nigeria) Biafrans were forcibly fed on a mixture of human urine and feaces. In Northern Nigeria numerous Biafran house-wives and nursing mothers were raped before their husbands and children. Young girls were abducted from their homes, working places and schools and forced into sexual intercourse with sick, demented and leprous men." Mr. Erif Spiff (Eyewitness, 1966)

"Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war, and we have every intention of using it against the rebels[b], "(Alison Ayida, Head of Nigerian Delegation, Niamey Peace Talks,
Republic of Niger, July 1968)[/b]
"All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder." Chief Obafemi Awolowo(Minister of Finance)

" , the Ibos must be considerably reduced in number"(Lagos Policeman quoted in New York Review, 21 December, 1967)

"There has been genocide on the occasion of the 1966 massacres, the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, federal troops having, for unknown reasons, massacred all the men" (Le Monde, 5th April, 1968)

"In Calabar, federal forces shot at least 1000 and perhaps 2000 Ibos, most of them civilians" (New York Times, 18th January, 1968).

"The greatest single massacre occurred in the Ibo town of Asaba where 700 Ibo male were lined up and shot"(London Observer, 21 January, 1968)

"Federal troops, killed, or stood by while mobs killed, more than 5000 Ibos in Wari, Sapele, Agbor, " (New York Times, 10th January, 1968)

"In some areas outside the East, Ibos were killed by local people with at least the acquiescence of the federal forces, 1000 Ibo civilians perished in Benin in this way "(New York Review, 21 December 1967)

" after the federal take over of Benin, troops killed about 500 Ibo civilians after a house-to-house search" (Washington Morning Post, 27 September, 1967)

"I want to see no Red Cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches,no Pope, no missionary and no UN delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo fron having even one piece to eat before their capitulation. We shoot at everything that moves and when our troop march into the centre of Ibo territory, we shoot at everything even at things that do not move, " ( Benjamin Adekunle. Commander, 3rd Marine Commando Division, Nigerian Army).

"Let us go and crush them. We will pillage their property, rape their womenfolk, kill off their menfolk and leave them uselessly weeping. We will complete the pogrom of 1966" (The theme song of Radio Kaduna, government-controlled, 1967-1970).

", The war aim and (final) solution properly speaking of the entire problem, is to discriminate against the Ibos and in their own interest. Such discrimination would include above all the detachment of those oil-rich territories in the Eastern Region. In addition, the Ibos' freedom of movement would be restricted, to prevent their renewed penetration into other parts, leaving any access to the sea to the Ibos, is quite out of the question, " (Federal Nigerian Minister to E. C. Schwarzenback, Swiss Review
of Africa, February 1968)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLvI4JvT57c&feature=related
Re: A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 2:03am On Jul 23, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@Ijiji1, Purple Hibiscius is soo hilarious, da man is simply WEIRD, lol

Just don't tell me anything about the book now pls cheesy I payed extra for the fast delivery so I should be getting mine by Thursday. Just Like you I'm so into Nigerian books embarassed And I have to go check out the you-tube chips Queenisha was talking about, I just pray I can stomach it. cry
Re: A Must Read. by KarmaMod(f): 2:04am On Jul 23, 2008
Why would you wanna watch such clips?

It's like a jew watching clips of the Auschwitz
Re: A Must Read. by onyinye2(f): 2:09am On Jul 23, 2008
Purple hibiscius was my all time favorite book. i mean it was a classic. it reminded so much of things that i swore i must have known the main girl.
Re: A Must Read. by Ezinwannem: 2:10am On Jul 23, 2008
nice but sad video
Re: A Must Read. by Ezinwannem: 2:11am On Jul 23, 2008
@onyinye2, I can imagine and da cities/towns she used ehh made it more interesting, lol
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 2:24am On Jul 23, 2008
Ezinwannem:

nice but sad video

and it continues up till 10 or so.
Very very sad.
Re: A Must Read. by tpia: 2:30am On Jul 23, 2008
a lot of the towns mentioned here where mass killings occurred, are not in Igboland.

There has been genocide on the occasion of the 1966 massacres,  the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, federal troops having, for unknown reasons, massacred all the men" (Le Monde, 5th April, 1968)

Were all of the people killed in these places Igbo, or were some of them non-Igbo?
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 2:35am On Jul 23, 2008
tpia:

a lot of the towns mentioned here where mass killings occurred, are not in Igboland.

Were all of the people killed in these places Igbo, or were some of them non-Igbo?

Your reasoning is warped.
Does this Q sound intelligent to you in the course of this discus?
Who were those being sought for killing?

There were Igbos killed in Benin and Lagos
Were those Igbolands?
Or do you need help to figure out that Igbos are in virtually every nook and crany of that failed state you call Nigeria
Re: A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 2:37am On Jul 23, 2008
I just finished watching two of the you-tube clips, I'm new to all of this, the real footage on you-tube are just about the same stories that was told in the book. My kid sister and I are here watching this thing with our mouths wide open.

I'm just glad we don't have any Hausa people around here, cause I may just walk up to him or her and slap him for no reason. angry
Re: A Must Read. by OrumbaS89(f): 3:01am On Jul 23, 2008
I understand the feeling.
Re: A Must Read. by Ijiji1(m): 3:15am On Jul 23, 2008
I maybe wrong, but how come we don't have a public holiday in Nigeria to commemorate thousands of Igbo lives lost during civil war in Nigeria.
Re: A Must Read. by tpia: 3:36am On Jul 23, 2008
Queenisha:

Your reasoning is warped.
Does this Q sound intelligent to you in the course of this discus?
Who were those being sought for killing?

There were Igbos killed in Benin and Lagos
Were those Igbolands?
Or do you need help to figure out that Igbos are in virtually every nook and crany of that failed state you call Nigeria

I knew you or someone else would reply in this manner.

In case you don't know, I heard some of the people killed were non-Igbos who were mistaken for Igbos. I just wanted to see if anyone knew the same.

Most of the towns mentioned in your quote, were not in Igboland, as I pointed out.

True, Igbos were singled out in many of them, but how do you know if every single one of the people killed from Warri to Asaba, was actually Igbo?

My question did not deny the killing of Igbos in any way. I simply asked because anyone with an Igbo sounding name or who looked Igbo, could have also died during the massacre.
Re: A Must Read. by freshB2: 4:11am On Jul 23, 2008
You guys cry rightly. but has the Igbo genocide ended?
No! After the 1969 have the killings not continued in Jos, Bauchi, Kano, Kaduna etc.? Even where there is a terrorist act between the Kadunas or Biroms vs the Hausa the next minute they change it to Hausa againt Igbo. Its not that They are strong but because they take us unwares. Before you organise yurself if you escapped their death the Nigerian government will send in troops commanding them to stop the Igbos from any action and at the same time to help deplomatically without a trace kill any Igbo man that the Hausas couldnt get.

The next minute the fake news including VOA, CNN, and BBC will announce that Christains and muslins are fighting, but is it true?

I remembered the last Jos crisis of 2001 how the army came and killed the remaining good souls in Bukuru.
I absolutely do not hide my feelings that we can never ever be one! The Nigerians Killed us. the Youruba and others including the Akwa Ibom and Rivers sold us out. The cameronians allowed Nigerians to cut behind us through their land.

Nigerians also stopped us from having a place in Nigeria and from being the top notch in technology today
I still resound it unless we secede we i will never take them as one, not after the killins and lootings
Re: A Must Read. by tpia: 4:21am On Jul 23, 2008
fresh-B:

No! After the 1969 have the killings not continued in Jos, Bauchi, Kano, Kaduna etc.? Even where there is a terrorist act between the Kadunas or Biroms vs the Hausa the next minute they change it to Hausa againt Igbo. Its not that They are strong but because they take us unwares. Before you organise yurself if you escapped their death the Nigerian government will send in troops commanding them to stop the Igbos from any action and at the same time to help deplomatically without a trace kill any Igbo man that the Hausas couldnt get.

The next minute the fake news including VOA, CNN, and BBC will announce that Christains and muslins are fighting, but is it true?

I remembered the last Jos crisis of 2001 how the army came and killed the remaining good souls in Bukuru.
I absolutely do not hide my feelings that we can never ever be one! The Nigerians Killed us. the Youruba and others including the Akwa Ibom and Rivers sold us out. The cameronians allowed Nigerians to cut behind us through their land.

Nigerians also stopped us from having a place in Nigeria and from being the top notch in technology today
I still resound it unless we secede we i will never take them as one, not after the killins and lootings

thats it in a nutshell.

Anyone who dares contradict these assertions, or asks for clarification, automatically becomes "the enemy".
Re: A Must Read. by OgidiBoy(m): 4:27am On Jul 23, 2008
fresh-B:

Very well said my brother, I lost my brother in law in the riots in Jos. He had a big shop on Enugu street near masalachin jumar (spelling) He was buried alive in his shop for nothing sad Tomorrow now they'll tell me one Nigeria angry One Nigeria my black a$$. Biafra forever.
Re: A Must Read. by freshB2: 4:57am On Jul 23, 2008
I nearly lost my mum, 2 sisters, 3brothers, 3cousins seling for us. and me. God. It was all miraculous intervenation. litaterally we (excluding my 2 older brofs who were cought up seperately. infact my brof still has his indelible mark sustained during escape) were cought up in the hell. How God did it for us exactly as He did it for the Isrealites in the Red sea i do not know because while the killings were going on literally God froze the Hausas when they saw us walking through from behind them. They froze! By the time we woke from death we had passed them and the frozen people had woken up and alive and the killings had restarted

it took me more than weeks to recover after i saw all those burnt people and corpses. emotional
Re: A Must Read. by OgidiBoy(m): 5:26am On Jul 23, 2008
All those thugs that committed those atrocities how many of them were brought to justice. Passed by there last year when I came back home and all those Igbo shop there were all burnt are now rebuilt. You can never bring the Igbo man down.
Re: A Must Read. by Freewilly(f): 5:54am On Jul 23, 2008
I just ordered the book on Amazon, it better be worth it or the poster of this thread will answer to my temper angry
Re: A Must Read. by freshB2: 12:10pm On Jul 23, 2008
All those thugs that committed those atrocities how many of them were brought to justice.  Passed by there last year when I came back home and all those Igbo shop there were all burnt are now rebuilt. You can never bring the Igbo man down

Justice? Justice? Justice?Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice? Justice?
Justice is a government tool used to silence the enermies of the state and, not a means to stop injustice especially not when the culprit is the government itself.

how can you stop the Igboman? We have all it takes to rule the world. before the onyinbo came to Igboland we were already excellin in technology. but after the almagametion in 1914(date?) which sole goal was to destroy our culture, technology and unity we lost our grounds. Although we still reserve our potentials, we need to wake from our sleep to unite against our local and international enemies
Re: A Must Read. by Queenisha: 11:05pm On Jul 23, 2008
Freewilly:

I just ordered the book on Amazon, it better be worth it or the poster of this thread will answer to my temper angry

Wow freewilly this na your eyes?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is The Ogane To The East Of Benin / Ọ̀ọnirìṣà On Ọlọ́jọ Day / Yorubaland:the Best Place To Marry From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.