Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. (40880 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name? / Igbo Attire And Its Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by xtophera(f): 6:51pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mine is Emekanobong grin meaning victorious(i think it loses something in translation)
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
IDEMUDIA meaning I am stable
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 30, 2013
Happy Birthday to U @op. I tynk dis myt be coming late. Buh beta late dan neva
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by PamelaGold1(f): 10:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
Chidera it means what God has written
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
Follow this link. Join the league with pin 5183 and win BIG!!! http://gfm.guinnessvip.com/en/league/deobeth-5183/
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by iamdsam: 12:20am On Dec 01, 2013
Mine is Oghenenyerhovwo meaning God answers prayers. I'm an Urhobo from Delta State.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 4:39am On Dec 01, 2013
Thanks alot dear. At all,at all,na im worst pass.
screenagerjoe: Happy Birthday to U @op. I tynk dis myt be coming late. Buh beta late dan neva
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by igboboy1(m): 6:48am On Dec 01, 2013
Adaobi12: I answer the name,and i wil tel you what it means. Nkechi means,GOD'S OWN. Names can mean different things,to different people. PROPERTY AND WEALTH,ARE BOTH CALLED AKU IN IGBO.

Ok o.. I believe that Something that is your own is also your property okwa ya?
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by igboboy1(m): 6:51am On Dec 01, 2013
adaorap:

not everyone that answers ada is the first. Please kindly remove that first because i have seen several people answering that name yet they are not the first daughter

Not first child BUT FIRST DAUGHTER...She could be the last born but the first daughter.
Although i have seen cases nowadays where efulefu's who dont know tradition are giving their 3rd daughter adanmma.
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Barth99(m): 6:52am On Dec 01, 2013
mine is Bamaiyi, meanin nobody can compatate with me except God

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 01, 2013
Ezi uka. Whateva that is my own,is my property.
igbo boy:

Ok o.. I believe that Something that is your own is also your property okwa ya?
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by stevSKY(m): 7:58am On Dec 01, 2013
Rimamsikwe........ Meaning "God is King"
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Evestar200(f): 8:33am On Dec 01, 2013
Mine is Obukowho and Shogbo Cant say the meaning cuz they have funny Meanings,,an Urhobo and a Yoruba person will knw those names meaning
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by obyrich(m): 8:45am On Dec 01, 2013
Barth99: mine is Bamaiyi, meanin nobody can compatate with me except God
What's compatate?
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Deiok(m): 8:54am On Dec 01, 2013
miss.terious:

Nah, proudly Deltan. grin
ok
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Afam4eva(m): 10:15am On Dec 01, 2013
igbo boy:
Are you igbo? how can you say adaobi is first daughter of a chief ?

Ada quite alright is given to the first daughter, but it doesn't have to be a chief biko...una go dey remix native meaning
When a lie goes for too long, it begins to sound like the truth. A lot of people have been made to believe that Adaobi means "First Daughter of the King". Anyways, i believe people can determine what the meaning of their names are but as far as history is concerned "Adaobi" literally means "First Daughter of the compound" which invariably could mean "First Daughter of the family".

2 Likes

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by oboy3(m): 2:03pm On Dec 01, 2013
AdannayaBella:
Adaobi is for first daughters, it means "first daughter of the compound/family". Other Ada names like Adaora, Adaeze, Adamma, Adanna/Adannaya, Adaku are usually given to any daughter, doesn't matter whether she is first or last.
any igbo man who names his second or third daughter ada names should be taken to his village market square and flog 36 strokes of the cain,abeg you guys should stop putting igbo culture upside down
ada is reserved for the first daughter just as okpara is first son though any woman can be called ada but not named
thank you

4 Likes

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 01, 2013
o'boy:
any igbo man who names his second or third daughter ada names should be taken to his village market square and flog 36 strokes of the cain,abeg you guys should stop putting igbo culture upside down
ada is reserved for the first daughter just as okpara is first son though any woman can be called ada but not named
thank you
Any woman can be called Ada but not named Ada? Are you living in a cave or what? There are a million Igbo girls out there who are not first daughters but are named Ada. Ada means daughter, a female child. It doesn't even make sense that a woman can be called Ada (which means daughter) but cannot be named Ada simply because she's not the first daughter.
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by oboy3(m): 2:52pm On Dec 01, 2013
AdannayaBella:
Any woman can be called Ada but not named Ada? Are you living in a cave or what? There are a million Igbo girls out there who are not first daughters but are named Ada. Ada means daughter, a female child. It doesn't even make sense that a woman can be called Ada (which means daughter) but cannot be named Ada.
Anakogheri
you are the only one ihave seen and heard who is not a first daughter bearing ada

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Agrika: 10:00pm On Dec 01, 2013
Chidinma- God is good
Uzoamaka- the road/journey is good.
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by igboboy1(m): 1:33am On Dec 02, 2013
AdannayaBella:
Any woman can be called Ada but not named Ada? Are you living in a cave or what? There are a million Igbo girls out there who are not first daughters but are named Ada. Ada means daughter, a female child. It doesn't even make sense that a woman can be called Ada (which means daughter) but cannot be named Ada simply because she's not the first daughter.

nne sharap there.....ha na kuzi umu azi ihe basara odinani they start acting like say na dem sabi pass angry

look traditionally, Ada does not mean any daughter but first/ senior daughter.

o'boy is right...Just like a nick or pet name any girl can be called ada today..
Dont we call any girl Asanwa, omalicha? Yet do you see a girl whose name is Asanwa? (possible but rare).

I am 100% sure you grew out of Ani igbo for you to be writing such treacherous statements.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by igboboy1(m): 1:35am On Dec 02, 2013
o'boy:
Anakogheri
you are the only one ihave seen and heard who is not a first daughter bearing ada

Nna o nwatakiri ka o bu for her to be writing such arrant lack of knowledge of tradition....

2 Likes

Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 1:02am On Dec 03, 2013
Mine is 'Artan (Somali - Cartan) or Artan in English. I don't fully know what it means but I've heard it has something to do with the sun and the rainy season in the Somali lands.

Yousuf is the sultan in my display picture grin Sultan Yousuf Ali Kenadiid.
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by NadiaSA1(f): 1:06am On Dec 03, 2013
Samkelisiwe which means u welcome fine baby girl
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 2:07am On Dec 03, 2013
Osatohanwen meanin God have mercy on me
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Deiok(m): 11:42am On Dec 03, 2013
Elantracey: Osatohanwen meanin God have mercy on me
My brother namesake.
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 09, 2013
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
You are a GUY....stop pretending to be a girl...you are too old for this...your mates are already married with children
neena adjei: Yejide- mother has risen
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by Nobody: 1:14am On Dec 20, 2013
Seanord: You are a GUY....stop pretending to be a girl...you are too old for this...your mates are already married with children
Is that your best shot? You can do better honey.... undecided cry lipsrsealed
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by jnrbayano(m): 10:01am On Mar 11, 2015
"Ekenedilichukwu" translated Thanks be to God.
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:03am On Jan 10, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
Isioma - Good Head / Wise Head cool
I will like receiving good head from you
Re: Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. by damiperry(f): 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2016
Harbosede02:
Mine is amoke meaning to purposely pamper sum1

do u know d meaning of ayinke..??

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun / Masquerade Seen Having A Good Time At A Nightclub In Lagos (Photos, Video) / How Ooni Ogunwusi Met Wuraola, His Mother's Namesake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.