Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

What's The Most Populous State In The South East? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Most Populous State In The South East? (8935 Views)

Kogi Is The Only State In Nigeria Neighboring 10 States (photo Map) / Most Populous Cities In Nigeria 2015- TMTN / Nigeria- The Most Populous Black Nation In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by jbaur24: 9:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
Abagworo:

Onitsha is a small city and cannot be compared with Lagos or Port-Harcourt. Remember many of us are widely travelled and do visit all these places. Anambra is more populous than Imo not because of Onitsha alone but because of a dense population concentrated in the South and central parts of the State which also spills over to the Northern half of Imo State which is closely behind.

Nwokem stop this your usual misleading comments about Onitsha. Onitsha has grown beyond Onitsha North LGA and Onitsha South LGA, it has encroached into Ogbaru, Obosi, Oba, Ogbunike, Nkpor, Ogidi etc. Even where the Onitsha West Africa Trade Center is being built is in Ogidi, but that area has now been tagged part of Onitsha theoretically but technically its not in Onitsha LGA.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Slizbeat(m): 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
Well, to me it goes this way.....

In terms of Indigenes
1. Anambra
2. Imo
3. Enugu
4. Abia
5. Ebonyi

In terms of Diaspora....
1. Anambra
2. Imo
3. Enugu
4. Abia
5. Ebonyi

In terms of all living citizens of Nigeria as at date...
1. Anambra
2. Imo
3. Enugu
4. Abia
5. Ebonyi

In all, my conclusion is that Anambra by far is the most populous state in the S.E in all ramification and permit me to say it still is the most populous in the whole of Nigeria in terms of "State of Origin"(though I maybe wrong)
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Abagworo(m): 10:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
Slizbeat:

In all, my conclusion is that Anambra by far is the most populous state in the S.E in all ramification and permit me to say it still is the most populous in the whole of Nigeria in terms of "State of Origin"(though I maybe wrong)

I agree with you 100% but the use of the phrase "by far" is too extreme. It is better you simply use "the most populous". Anambra is the 2nd smallest State in landmass and that makes its population density higher than all States except Lagos which is the smallest. Imo is the 3rd smallest and is also the 3rd most densely populated.

The total population of Anambrians by my estimate should be around 16million while Imo is around 13million worldwide. In terms of residence Anambra might be around 5million to 5.5million people while Imo is between 4.5million to 4.8million people.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by jbaur24: 10:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
Abagworo:

I agree with you 100% but the use of the phrase "by far" is too extreme. It is better you simply use "the most populous". Anambra is the 2nd smallest State in landmass and that makes its population density higher than all States except Lagos which is the smallest. Imo is the 3rd smallest and is also the 3rd most densely populated.

The total population of Anambrians by my estimate should be around 16million while Imo is around 13million worldwide. In terms of residence Anambra might be around 5million to 5.5million people while Imo is between 4.5million to 4.8million people.

Balanced comment..

I give this write-up a passmark..
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by JulianBond007: 12:21am On Nov 29, 2013
the warrior72: grin U be confirmed villager
meaning? I am from anambra state and I have lived in onitsha for close to 20 years. What's your problem?
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by thewarrior72: 12:23am On Nov 29, 2013
Abagworo:

grin The first time abaworo is making sense since joining Nairaland!

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by thewarrior72: 12:26am On Nov 29, 2013
JulianBond007: meaning? I am from anambra state and I have lived in onitsha for close to 20 years. What's your problem?
wink Nne I was simply joking...no ves
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by skillkaycee: 8:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
I think Anambra is more populous followed by Imo, the physical facts are there!
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by ketoprofen(m): 8:33pm On Sep 18, 2014
odumchi: I don't think Abia is more populated than Enugu. Abia is perhaps more densely-populated but it doesn't have more people. Enugu is large and has several towns.

I used to think Anambra was more populated, but then I took into consideration the sheer amount of towns Imo has and its high population density. Besides, most Igbo people I meet tend to be from Imo. Take into consideration all the people from the Ideato-Isu-Arondizuogu-Obowo-Nkwere-Mbaise-Mbano-Orlu-Owerri axis.

No!
Anambra
Abia
Imo
Enugu
Ebonyi
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by ketoprofen(m): 8:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
Afam4eva:
Abia is probably at par with Enugu. A lot of people think Enugu is very populated but unlike most other SE states, Enugu doesn't have big towns apart from the capital. So, most of the population resides in Enugu town but in Abia, apart from Aba and umuahia, you have some medium sized towns with sizeable population.

u need palm wine.
As an Enugu indigene, traveling to the village when its not xmas or festive times can be messed up.
Aside Enugu capital and some parts of nsukka zone, Enugu is not densely populated
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Ramnon2: 8:51pm On Sep 18, 2014
Anambra/Imo
Imo/Anambra
Abia
Enugu
Ebonyi
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Kponkwem(m): 10:06pm On Sep 18, 2014
nedu2000: Anambra is the most-populous,imo & enugu can slug it out for 2nd place

It will be wrong to judge any of the SE states only on the home figures particularly Abia. There are millions of Abians in Benin Republic, Togo, CIV, GuineaN Cameroun, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and SA. Abia should not be less than seven million peoples on a good count.
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by emmysoftyou: 10:39pm On Sep 18, 2014
i giv it to imo/anambra,after this two states,others
enugu
abia
and
ebonyi follow

but ebonyi has a large landmass in the whole of southeast..
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by Donarozzi: 2:18am On Sep 20, 2014
odumchi: I'm guessing the most populous state is:

Imo

Followed by:
Anambra
Enugu
Abia
Ebonyi

Let me rephrase the question this way: "Rank the Igbo states according to indigenous population and according to general population".

First of all, let's assume that Anioma State has been created (that is, the Igbo areas of Delta State) and that the new Rivers State has been created (covering the Igbo areas of Rivers State). So, we can say that we have a total of SEVEN Igbo states: Abia, Anambra, Anioma, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo, and Rivers. Then, let's answer the question.

In terms of *indigenous population* of each Igbo state, this is the ranking:

1. Imo
2. Anambra
3. Abia
4. Enugu
5. Rivers
6. Ebonyi
7. Anioma

In terms of *general population* of each Igbo state, this is the ranking:

1. Imo
2. Anambra
3. Rivers
4. Enugu
5. Abia
6. Anioma
7. Ebonyi

Here, *indigenous population* means the total number of the natives (both home and abroad), while *general population* means the total number of people currently in the state at the moment (both the resident natives and immigrants).

1 Like

Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by meforyou1(m): 7:43am On Sep 20, 2014
odumchi:

Why must you bring insult into the equation?
don't think he meant it as an insult
Re: What's The Most Populous State In The South East? by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:02am On Sep 20, 2014
SamIkenna:

Maybe. But when you consider that both states are the same people you can be sure that, to some extent, we can hold those variables constant and make a good guess.

Also my belief is borne from the fact that Imo and Anambra are relatively equal in academic pursuit. None out-schools the other, therefore Imo has to be slightly bigger in population.

If you have the time to check out the useless stats in Nigeria, wherever you find Imo you find Anambara. Or you see Anambara you must find Imo.

I dont know what you mean by both state are the same people.
Do you mean they have the same ancestry or what ?
I know we have some migrants from Anambra into Imo,some cultural diffusion from Anambra to Imo but other than that I dont see how we are same people.

When it come to population,you have more people moving to Anambra than Imo because of the business opportunities abound in Anambra. Moreover,you also have almost the same number of of schools in both states.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What John Zibiri Said About Nigeria. Is It True? / Inibehe Effiong: Count Senator Akpabio Out Of Your Phantom Assassination Plot / Buhari To Visit Benue On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.