Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,819 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:15 PM

Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? (6793 Views)

Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings / Peugeot 307 Problems! Help! Car Does Not Start When Hot! / Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 11:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
Please I need honest advise from people that have experience of car security alarm.There is recent trend of constant provocative vandalisation of cars in my area that its needful to take immediate action before outright theft of our cars.The crooks break the smaller section of car glass window and gain access into the car and loot power windows,brain box, and all lootables within the car & stuffs like side mirrors etc.

The car security alarm which is more affordable should readily forestall this theft but major concern is that there's been word making the rounds from many sources that the car security alarm is deactivated by some sort of magnet.My rewire said its true but sellers say its not true.Please I need to know if anyone has had first hand experience of Car Alarm & magnets.We need this alarm security urgently in my entire neighbourhood but sceptical regarding the magnet decoy threat.Please help with your advise so I know if I should buy urgently tomorrow or consider other car security choices.Thanks in advance.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by adanny01(m): 8:24am On Nov 29, 2013
All cars in my area 2 years ago were burgled the same way. I lost more that anyone. I lost my really beautiful wallet given to me by an expatriate with 10k in it, car stereo, car battery, a pair of shoe, front grill, tail lights.

All cars had that small glass on the rear door broken. Only one car was not broken into probably because it doesnt have that small glass (Honda accord 96, bulldog).

It is good to know why alarms dont go off.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 8:55am On Nov 29, 2013
adanny01: All cars in my area 2 years ago were burgled the same way. I lost more that anyone. I lost my really beautiful wallet given to me by an expatriate with 10k in it, car stereo, car battery, a pair of shoe, front grill, tail lights.

All cars had that small glass on the rear door broken. Only one car was not broken into probably because it doesnt have that small glass (Honda accord 96, bulldog).

It is good to know why alarms dont go off.
Sir, thanks for your input.Are you implying that those cars had alarms that didn't go off? Does this confirm the rumour that the crooks use a kind of magnet or why in your view do you think the alarms didn't go off? that's really what we want to find out in this thread.Besides what cheaper car security solution did they resort to in your area that stopped the menace?

1 Like

Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 8:58am On Nov 29, 2013
The summary and purpose of the thread is to find out if its true the car vandal crooks use a sort of magnet to bypass the car alarm & how they do it OR if there is any other means they use to silence the car alarm & loot.Please your inputs are desperately needed.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 29, 2013
The answer to the question this thread's asking is NO.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 9:15am On Nov 29, 2013
Siena: The answer to the question this thread's asking isNO.
Sir, be pleased to throw more light cos many people including car rewire technicians are alledging & affirming it.Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by JUO(m): 2:24pm On Nov 29, 2013
I believe there is a way they break the window without the alarm coming on. just the way they open the door When you lock your key in the car
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 29, 2013
Anomnity:
Sir, be pleased to throw more light cos many people including car rewire technicians are alledging & affirming it.Thanks in anticipation.

There's no more light to throw on the magnet theory - a magnet won't disable the alarm. If you want to go with the Nigerian "rewire" theory, fine. The same guys who say coolant thermostats are designed for cold countries...

Draw your own conclusions.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 4:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
JUO: I believe there is a way they break the window without the alarm coming on. just the way they open the door When you lock your key in the car
If this is true,then the alarm should come on once they open the door or even close it back.What do you think?
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2013
Siena:

There's no more light to throw on the magnet theory - a magnet won't disable the alarm. If you want to go with the Nigerian "rewire" theory, fine. The same guys who say coolant thermostats are designed for cold countries...

Draw your own conclusions.
Ok, thanks Sir, how do you think they gain access if they don't use magnets.What do you think they use so we can find a way to beat their craftiness.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
Anomnity:
Ok, thanks Sir, how do you think they gain access if they don't use magnets.What do you think they use so we can find a way to beat their craftiness.

You really want me to post how burglars gain access to vehicles? That's akin to me posting where I store my spare key.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 29, 2013
i suspect d OP wants to learn how to burgle cars
Siena should know as much as I know, but it would be foolish of us to narrate it here.
Geez, datz criminal . . .
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 30, 2013
At OP. Its a pity. My corolla was burgled dis time lastweek. D rear glass was broken and my controlls n brainbox was gone. I go buy tokunbo brain box n controls dat cost me 70k of my hard earned cash.....I had to install an alarm too...but dem ladipo guy just laffed dat if dey want to steal it again dey can..dat d best way is as I park my car, I shud disconnect d brainbox n controls and go inside with it dat dis guys put a very big magnet on d car and burgle it....d car wud not mak any noise!......I have strted parking in a safe compound wif my alarm on incase!!!!.......Advice: Put an alrm and park in a safe compound wif security!
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by baconline(m): 8:02am On Nov 30, 2013
I dey laugh,u can use a cup of tea to deactivate d security system or your phone, later they will tell u not to use remotes again
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 30, 2013
Some comments I've read here are ridiculus. Why would any sane individual in the 1st instance give information on how to override/jam a security protocol. This is trespassing (breaking and entry) and it could bring up other cases which include: damage to property (vandalism), attempted theft of property etc.

Anomnity:

Solution to this car theft, vandalism and theft of car parts is to park your vehicle in a very secured location such as in a well illuminated environment, CCTV coverage areas, near security posts (familiarize yourself with those security officers where ever you find yourself). Always wind up totally and lock your car, don't park/drive in desolate places alone, at home don't sleep like a dead pig, learn to be security conscious and check your surroundings for any strange movement, or object, don't put any thing such as jewelleries, cash, bank card, phones, laptops, PDAs, tablets, professional identity items such as engr hard cap, stetoscopes, lawyers wig, architects drawing tools etc. These would only make you become more vulnerable to attacks. Invest in a genuine fail proof security system not those cheap systems that is designed to fail when they are most needed to work.

1 Like

Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by bizmahn: 11:44am On Nov 30, 2013
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 11:48am On Nov 30, 2013
obitee69: At OP. Its a pity. My corolla was burgled dis time lastweek. D rear glass was broken and my controlls n brainbox was gone. I go buy tokunbo brain box n controls dat cost me 70k of my hard earned cash.....I had to install an alarm too...but dem ladipo guy just laffed dat if dey want to steal it again dey can..dat d best way is as I park my car, I shud disconnect d brainbox n controls and go inside with it dat dis guys put a very big magnet on d car and burgle it....d car wud not mak any noise!......I have strted parking in a safe compound wif my alarm on incase!!!!.......Advice: Put an alrm and park in a safe compound wif security!
Your have prescisely described what's been happening in my area with 100% accuracy.The funny thing is that they've vandalised about 3 corolla cars in my area in the exact same way you described.Its amazing that you are the only one that really seems to get a feel of what I'm describing & its also amazing they told you the same thing about magnets which they also told me & which nobody seems to agree here so far.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 11:53am On Nov 30, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:
i suspect d OP wants to learn how to burgle cars
Siena should know as much as I know, but it would be foolish of us to narrate it here.
Geez, datz criminal . . .
Sir, I don't want to learn how to burgle cars.I don't need that info.Read the OP again.If you know how buglars burgle cars & this is not a good place to say it then just use that knowledge to teach us how to stop buglars.Thats what this thread wants to address.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 11:59am On Nov 30, 2013
lomomike: .............Invest in a genuine fail proof security system not those cheap systems that is designed to fail when they are most needed to work.
Thank you Sir.Please which genuine fail proof security system can you recommend which can address similar circumstances as described in the OP.Thanks
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by baconline(m): 1:33pm On Nov 30, 2013
Anomnity:
Thank you Sir.Please which genuine fail proof security system can you recommend which can address similar circumstances as described in the OP.Thanks
2 way remote systems
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Anomnity: 4:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
baconline:
2 way remote systems
Thank you Sir, I never heard about 2 way remote system & no rewire technician ever mentioned it to me.Please be very kind to tell me
1.how it works
2.what makes it better than car security alarm.
3. where I can get it urgently & how much it costs.
I sure think this might be a good solution to our predicament.Thank you so much as I anticipate your reply..
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by aieromon(m): 6:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
Why always Toyota and their brain boxes?
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by datola: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2013
I don't know what's special about Toyota in Nigeria other than that any stupid mechanic can play with. The car is vulnerable to various kinds of attacks.

aieromon: Why always Toyota and their brain boxes?
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by sultaan(m): 12:44am On Dec 01, 2013
I think buying American brand will greatly reduce your chance of being vandalized grin grin

Otherwise it's open season which means available for vandalism
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 6:39am On Dec 01, 2013
Bros @ ladipo...I saw shops filled wif brainboxes of toyotas...tell me how dey got dere? Cos toyota brainboxes hardly spoils....dat small fin cost 40k bro....I had toeven beg for dem to accept dat price..as I came into d shop I asked for only brainbox but d shop attendant was askin about if I wanted to by it wif controls and side glass...dat dey sell it together... Can u imagine? Bros corollas are endangered species...this I'd d second time my brainbox is being stolen....d 1st time autogermain nigeria charged me 360k for replacemt...thankGod my insurance coy paid...but b4 my car came out it spent 2months cos dey claimed dey have to ship d parts...dis time I run go ladipo grin

Anomnity:
Your have prescisely described what's been happening in my area with 100% accuracy.The funny thing is that they've vandalised about 3 corolla cars in my area in the exact same way you described.Its amazing that you are the only one that really seems to get a feel of what I'm describing & its also amazing they told you the same thing about magnets which they also told me & which nobody seems to agree here so far.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 01, 2013
Also corolla brainboxes are plug n play...its either FZZ or NZZ...one of dem must work! Unlike other vehicles dat wud need recoding or replacement of ignition wen brainbox is changed..... lipsrsealed
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by davids202(m): 7:31am On Dec 01, 2013
volkwagen all the way...
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by baconline(m): 10:13am On Dec 01, 2013
Anomnity:
Thank you Sir, I never heard about 2 way remote system & no rewire technician ever mentioned it to me.Please be very kind to tell me
1.how it works
2.what makes it better than car security alarm.
3. where I can get it urgently & how much it costs.
I sure think this might be a good solution to our predicament.Thank you so much as I anticipate your reply..
Google 2 way remote or 2 way pager system
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 01, 2013
obitee69: Also corolla brainboxes are plug n play...its either FZZ or NZZ...one of dem must work! Unlike other vehicles dat wud need recoding or replacement of ignition wen brainbox is changed..... lipsrsealed

If the Toyota has a factory immobiliser (transpondered key) then an ECU isn't going to be plug and play, and will DEFINITELY require coding. I'm currently contracted to Toyota, so I should know.

1 Like

Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by diportivo: 12:18pm On Dec 01, 2013
i am not a guru...thence i dont know what a two-way remote is..kindly pardon my naivity.but i had an aftermarket keyless entry remote installed on my nissan altima when i still had it,and if anyone should dare open the door without first unlocking with its remote,the horn will set off,and keep going...not intermittently mind you...if the burglar likes,he should bring a truckload of magnet;the whole neighborhood will wake up as soon as he pulls the handle.i myt be wrong,but if the factory alarm isnt chasing burglars,you 'could' try an aftermarket......just my thought
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 01, 2013
My corolla came with factory immobilizer...

Siena:

If the Toyota has a factory immobiliser (transpondered key) then an ECU isn't going to be plug and play, and will DEFINITELY require coding. I'm currently contracted to Toyota, so I should know.
Re: Please Help!! Car Theft: Do Magnets Deactivate Car Security Alarm? by Originalsly: 3:52am On Dec 02, 2013
What difference would it make if they used magnet?...what would you do?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Memories Of Your First Car / Nairalanders Please Help Rx300 / How To Detect Car Horn Faults

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.