Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. (2383 Views)

Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / Wait!! Before You Marry That Your Igbo Girlfriend, You Have To Read This!! / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by jmoore(m): 8:21am On Nov 29, 2013
It doesn't take a genius to know something went wrong when you arrive Rivers state. A notice of names of places such as Rumueme, Rumuola, Rumuokwuta, Rumuokoro etc keeps you wondering why the prefix "R" was added to the words. Remove the 'R' and you will get the normal Igbo names like Umueme, Umuola, Umuokwuta, Umuokoro etc.
What went wrong? Why the change of name? What must have triggered the "adulteration" of one's identity? Ikwerre is Igbo and the denial of their Igboness led to these changes after the civil war.
But why stop there? There are more things they should do to deny their Igbo identity. They should change their names too. Okoro should be known as Rokoro, Amaechi should be known as Ramaechi, Ikechukwu should be known as Rikechukwu, Odili should be known as Rodili, Opara should be known as Ropara.

4 Likes

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by fingard02k(m): 9:33am On Nov 29, 2013
so funny
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 29, 2013
not again
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2013
#ComicRelief

But no one has been able to prove that Ikwerres actually changed the names of their towns from "Umu" to "Rumu". Even if all Ikwerres accepted that they were Igbo, it doesn't mean their names must be exactly identical to those of other Igbo groups. There's a reason why some people bear Ahamefule as opposed to Afamefuna. It's just a dialectic difference. Everything musn't be the same before you know that two groups are the same. There will always be slight differences and the who "Rumu" nonenclature does not in anyway suggest that Ikwerres are not Igbo. I think we have to let these Ikwerre issue go really cos it's really tiring. Let the individual Ikwerre people decide who they wanna be. I know Ikwerre people who claim Igbo and those who don't and it's a matter of convenience.

1 Like

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by jmoore(m): 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2013
@Afam4eva, Please the original names of those places I mentioned is not open for debate. Better go and read the history of the civil war.

2 Likes

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by oturugo(m): 6:10pm On Nov 29, 2013
Rumu, umu, omu or any version is still same. Meanig chldren of a particular progenitor.
In Igboland, where you come from affects your tongue. Some Igbo mames are like Nwogu, some call it Wogu. Some say Ekwumekwu while others say Ekumeku. Some say Iselu Ukwu while others say Iselu Uku.
IT DOESN'T MATTER. WHAT MATTERS THAT THEY ARE ALL IGBO.

1 Like

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 29, 2013
For the one millionth time, rumu, omu and umu are variations used within Ikwerre speech community. The R is not an artificial 196os-1970s invention.

Everyone is getting tired of this 'they are Igbos; they are not igbos' debate. Why anybody will waste minutes wondering how the next man identifies himself is beyond me; is your village not big enough for you?

4 Likes

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by 1shortblackboy: 8:00am On Nov 30, 2013
AGAIN ?!! So ikwerre people no fit Drink water drop cup abi ? lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by juju2008(f): 10:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
jmoore: It doesn't take a genius to know something went wrong when you arrive Rivers state. A notice of names of places such as Rumueme, Rumuola, Rumuokwuta, Rumuokoro etc keeps you wondering why the prefix "R" was added to the words. Remove the 'R' and you will get the normal Igbo names like Umueme, Umuola, Umuokwuta, Umuokoro etc.
What went wrong? Why the change of name? What must have triggered the "adulteration" of one's identity? Ikwerre is Igbo and the denial of their Igboness led to these changes after the civil war.
But why stop there? There are more things they should do to deny their Igbo identity. They should change their names too. Okoro should be known as Rokoro, Amaechi should be known as Ramaechi, Ikechukwu should be known as Rikechukwu, Odili should be known as Rodili, Opara should be known as Ropara.
Don't mind those people. My mum's home town in Ngor-Okpala Imo has boundaries with etche and ikwerre in Rivers. The inhabitants of the towns speak similar dialect as my mum's and yet they deny being Igbo.
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by Kponkwem(m): 11:43pm On Nov 30, 2013
If you know the pressure and stresses faced by several adjunct Igbo communities in the civil war during the push to the mainland, you will appreciate why these things happened.

I am going to write a piece on this soon. The Ikwerre was among the areas created as Rivers State and 'liberated' from Eastern region by the Federal forces of Gowon in 1967. So when the areas were overran by Adekunle's forces etc, they had to remain seperate to avoid similar fate as their Igbo cousins- who were then blockaded, strafed and starved in thousands.

I don't blame them for the pyschology discomfiture of that era but the only worry is the continuing denial of their Igboness after many years and generations are now stuck in this serious identity dysfunctional syndrome.
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by oturugo(m): 10:38pm On Dec 01, 2013
1 shortblackboy: AGAIN ?!! So ikwerre people no fit Drink water drop cup abi ? lipsrsealed
Girl, why not tell all those their parents who lied to their children that they are not to apologise to them before they all perish.

1 Like

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by 1shortblackboy: 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2013
oturugo:
Girl, why not tell all those their parents who lied to their children that they are not to apologise to them before they all perish.
d way una dey take this tin enh person go tink say Dem go give una 1milion naira each if u manage to make ilwerres agree that they are igbos... Shish !
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by jmoore(m): 1:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
1 shortblackboy: d way una dey take this tin enh person go tink say Dem go give una 1milion naira each if u manage to make ilwerres agree that they are igbos... Shish !
We are calling a spade a spade.

Imagine if Nigerians say they are not Africans.

1 Like

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by 1shortblackboy: 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
jmoore:
We are calling a spade a spade.

Imagine if Nigerians say they are not Africans.
u have to identify someone as a Nigerian 1st before u can identify him as an African.
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 2:49pm On Dec 21, 2017
jmoore:
It doesn't take a genius to know something went wrong when you arrive Rivers state. A notice of names of places such as Rumueme, Rumuola, Rumuokwuta, Rumuokoro etc keeps you wondering why the prefix "R" was added to the words. Remove the 'R' and you will get the normal Igbo names like Umueme, Umuola, Umuokwuta, Umuokoro etc.
What exactly is paining you?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2017
juju2008:

Don't mind those people. My mum's home town in Ngor-Okpala Imo has boundaries with etche and ikwerre in Rivers. The inhabitants of the towns speak similar dialect as my mum's and yet they deny being Igbo.
I am from Etche. I am not denying the language similarities but what will you gain if I say I am Igbo?

2 Likes

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by chijiblaze(m): 7:57am On Jan 07, 2018
BRIGHTRIVERS:
I am from Etche. I am not denying the language similarities but what will you gain if I say I am Igbo?

That would simply be a matter of stating the obvious fact, whereas denying being Igbo would be grandiose self-delusion tantamount to burying your head in the sand.

1 Like

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 12:11pm On Jan 08, 2018
chijiblaze:

That would simply be a matter of stating the obvious fact, whereas denying being Igbo would be grandiose self-delusion tantamount to burying your head in the sand.
unnecessary Show of grammar is all I see in this comment. If we don't wish to state the obvious would you kill all Riverians? look here my brother, my grand father speaks Etche fluently but can't understand igbo language. Does that suggest anything to you? There's both a language and geographical difference between the both,no matter how little and time has made us different, even character-wise. Brother If you don't like that fact I'm in my house, you can come and kill me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 12:13pm On Jan 08, 2018
Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by chijiblaze(m): 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2018
BRIGHTRIVERS:
unnecessary Show of grammar is all I see in this comment. If we don't wish to state the obvious would you kill all Riverians? look here my brother, my grand father speaks Etche fluently but can't understand igbo language. Does that suggest anything to you? There's both a language and geographical difference between the both,no matter how little and time has made us different, even character-wise. Brother If you don't like that fact I'm in my house, you can come and kill me.

The emboldened statement is clearly a lie.

Etche language is indistinguishable from Igbo language as spoken in Ngor-Okpuala & Owerri West LGAs in Imo state.

BRIGHTRIVERS: I am from Etche. I am not denying the language similarities but what will you gain if I say I am Igbo?

You typed the above statement earlier on.

Are you referring to the Enugu "waawa" Igbo? Or the Abakaliki or Nsukka versions? Are they the ones your grandfather doesn't understand?

Even if the Ikwerre & Ogba people claim to speak a different language, nde etche cannot make this same claim and expect to be believed.

Besides it's doubtful you are really from etche or anywhere near there as you seem to know next-to-nothing about the area.

1 Like

Re: The "Rumus" Of Rivers State- Denying Your Igbo Identity. by Noccerino(m): 1:37pm On Jan 10, 2018
chijiblaze:

The emboldened statement is clearly a lie.

Etche language is indistinguishable from Igbo language as spoken in Ngor-Okpuala & Owerri West LGAs in Imo state.

You typed the above statement earlier on.

Are you referring to the Enugu "waawa" Igbo? Or the Abakaliki or Nsukka versions? Are they the ones your grandfather doesn't understand?

Even if the Ikwerre & Ogba people claim to speak a different language, nde etche cannot make this same claim and expect to be believed.

Besides it's doubtful you are really from etche or anywhere near there as you seem to know next-to-nothing about the area.
Lol.. His name is 'Bright', he's most likely a Bini man.

(1) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano (sanusi Lamido) Prostrate For The Alafin Oyo - Humility At Its Peak / The Ijesa State. / Accelerationism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.