Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,498 members, 7,801,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State (24606 Views)

Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms / Minor Could Be A Bride Stop The Fuse And Get Educated-muslim's View On Underage / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by naptu2: 4:05am On Dec 05, 2013
Sissie:

No its not, Alcohol is not banned in the sabon gari area of kano.

What you mean is that the law is not enforced in the Sabon Gari part of Kano. It is banned, but the law is not enforced there.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 4:49am On Dec 05, 2013
saly kely:

Ok may I ask, if u are given a green card to dubia abu dabi would u give it up to live in liberia or zimbabwe or sierra leone. Honesly I would prefer qatar to living in USA

I would remain in Nigeria
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 5:14am On Dec 05, 2013
Mujah1deen: there are no junkies in the North, stop peddling lies here .okay?

You must not be reading the news

The Nigeria Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has dubbed Kano among the states with the highest number of drug traffickers and addicts in Nigeria. As such, it has become a society menace that affects everyone in community. It has become very alarming that of the ten million people living in the state of Kano, everyone has a person within his acquaintances that is either a drug addict or is into the use of other illicit substances.

Contrary to conventional form of youths making up the highest number of drug addicts, this society menace has broken into our homes because elderly men, women and even married couples are found among people that patronize such substances, specifically, a cough syrup with a certain percentage of codeine. Many of the people take this substance for the effect known for codeine intake.

http://www.globalshapers.org/news/extent-drug-abuse-kano

The Chairman, House of Representative Committee on Drugs, Narcotics and Financial Crimes, Jagaba Adams Jagaba, has decried that the northern part of the country is leading in the menace of drug abuse.

Jagaba decried despite the establishment of National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in 1988, in the nation’s effort at suppressing drug menace towards achieving global peace and security, the menace of drug abuse has not been tackled.
http://libertyradio.com.ng/2013/11/kano-kaduna-lead-in-drug-abuse/

1 Like

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Fulaman198(m): 5:37am On Dec 05, 2013
BUSH.HUNTER:

you are nt a MUSLIM.....you are a PAGAN....

Lol you wish, is that you pagan9ja?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Oluabayomi1(m): 6:21am On Dec 05, 2013
Sissie:
What area in kano did it happen, because I know for a fact alcohol is allowed in the sabon gari area of kano state, any other part is not allowed. If this was done in sabon gari, it's totally wrong.

Even for the Muslims, breaking the bottles of alcohol makes no difference, people will still sell/buy alcohol.
tanz broda
Sabon Gari na base n even some quarters outside sabon Gari do take it oooo.
No Qualms coz me dey Warri Rd for sabon gari nw dey shak my sapele water.
Kwankwanso sef dey take n even shekarau who brought d idea.
Dem no fit oo coz na papa Godeee
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by uboma(m): 6:30am On Dec 05, 2013
abdulmujib salv: . Why won't yu agree,you will even agree with far worse factless point of view,such gullible

Why not point out the facts here for all of us to see?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by rman: 7:04am On Dec 05, 2013
beejaay: hw u guys reason always amuse me. So because its nt done in a muslim majority side its ok and d right of d minority cn b nonexistent?rili? Will u say the same thing if such is done to u cos u are a minority somewhere? For example in a place where muslin population is less 5percent?hw wil u feel if u are nt allowed to build mosque,celebrate eid,wear ur veil if u are a woman just because u are in d minority.wil u stil take this same stands(i remember vividly hw we complained in anambra during my nysc cos there was no mosque in nnewi). We shd learn to look at all d sides and nt to b seeing as an hypocrite,am sure Quran frown at hypocrisy.if it is in our favour we are cul wit it and if nt we shout and invoke god

Is alcohol drinking a core attribute of Christianity?
The examples in your post are all core attributes of Islam.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Agrika: 7:09am On Dec 05, 2013
....the irony of the whole thing is they the kano muslims themselves consume more alcohol than the average christain in kano
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by IBROHIM: 7:36am On Dec 05, 2013
tiarabubu:
The funniest part is that we are considering drinking as an act of worship for xtians! Na was. Shameful.

One more reason to make some people brand/continue to brand Islam an intolerant religion. While some Muslims insist on their rights in places they are in minority, other Muslims deny some other people those same rights. And for some twisted logic, its ok?!

Just to be clear, I dont do or support alcohol consumption for health and religious reasons, but I believe those who choose to do so can do so. Its a free country and they have the same right to love the bottle as I have the right to despise it. They can sleep on it, but I will never taste of it - Its their choice and its my decision. End of story.

For one the alcohol were seized ON THEIR WAY into Kano. Is the Kano government saying to blazes with non-muslim bear drinkers, we DONT respect your rights to the bottle? What will the same government say if another state were to say to blazes with Muslims, we dont want to see you in Hijab in public, wear it in your homes? Some people will be here scream of their rights as Nigerians to freedom of religion while forgetting that some peoples freedoms to the bottle are being crushed to smithereens in Kano.

Infact lets not even start with the hypocrisy of Kano receiving VAT money, a large part funded by tax on the very bottle this hisbah are breaking.

The OP is right and I am pleased that some Muslims see this for what it is - hypocrisy.

Sad, really sad.

http://www.punchng.com/news/sharia-police-smash-240000-beer-bottles-in-kano/

SMH
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by kodylicky(f): 8:14am On Dec 05, 2013
The last I checked d country is still called Nigeria not Muslim and non-muslim. And as nigerians we have d right to do business and worship where we wish. So d idea of all these Muslim and non-muslim areas baffles me.

If as Muslims the sharia law applies (I may not have a full understanding of dis law) then Muslims shld live and be punished by it. Therefore Muslims shld not buy or sell alcohol both in areas where they re majority or minority. While others can do their thing.

I don't know why the way Muslims choose to live shld affect non-muslims irrespective of d predominant religion in d area.

So if a Muslim is found selling alcohol, the govt "sharia govt" shld break his bottles and punish him as such.

Geezzzz atimes I wonder what freedom means to a Muslim or nigerians in general.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Ngasky(m): 8:21am On Dec 05, 2013
[quote author]
you cannot start a church or temple is Saudi Arabia because Saudi belongs to Muslims[/quote]
can mosque be builded in the vatican city?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by yousee(m): 8:42am On Dec 05, 2013
hybee_noni:

I agree wt ur opinion nd jst wanna mk dis clear dt as a current resident of Sabon Gari in kano state, the smashing of d beer bottles was nt done inside sabon gari, bt since the sharia law is not applied in sabon gari, I think d govt cn avoid creatin confusion to Non kano residents by issuin out licenses to those allowed to sell alcohol inside sabon gari, this way their activities nd distributions of d drinks cn b well monitored
I do not know the geography of kano state, pls for those who know, is sabon-gari a border town?
Because those clamoring for selective application of the shariah law need to know that any alcohol beverage laden truck passing through shariah areas enroute sabon-gari risks being burnt!

If the law permits shariah in kano state, let it be in practiced in its entirety. You don't go to Medina and ask for beer because of your beliefs!
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Ngasky(m): 8:52am On Dec 05, 2013
since you assume alcohol good then why cant you fight for cocaine, heroin, opium to be legalize for public consumption? B4 u jump to reply give the difference btw alcohol and other intoxicants (hard drugs) and pls skip the legalise deception done by immoral (s)elected criminals (politicians). Talk from the science persepective not religion (forget xtremism).
I was in kano throughout all the so called religious crises. Whenever such destruction is about to start there is an early warning system of massive purchase of alcohol and other intoxicants. Becouse the miscreants doing that must be fully loaded (high) before they start slaying people and stealing their properties. Ask anybody present at any massacre in Nigeria. Are the perpetrators sane or drunk?
If only for security reasons i support total eradication of all intoxicants in any form. And the government is tasked with the maintainance of security.
Pls christians does alcohol became the eleventh commandment? My own understanding of the new testament says otherwise. But can someone enlighten me?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Ngasky(m): 9:02am On Dec 05, 2013
kody-licky:

Geezzzz atimes I wonder what freedom means to a Muslim or nigerians in general.
freedom have limitations. U dont xpect me to kill u and tell the court that as my freedom i dont want to see you alive. With full freedom (100%) nobody will be prosecuted and by extension all crimes were legalised
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by debetmx(m): 9:08am On Dec 05, 2013
Ngasky:
freedom have limitations. U dont xpect me to kill u and tell the court that as my freedom i dont want to see you alive. With full freedom (100%) nobody will be prosecuted and by extension all crimes were legalised

Since 1914, how many Northerners have been prosecuted for killing non- hausa/fulanis?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by cannonnier(m): 9:39am On Dec 05, 2013
Sissie:

In Kano State, Sabon Gari is a predominantly non Muslim area, and the sale of alcohol is allowed, that's the only area In kano, in which the sale of alcohol is allowed publicly and they have bars and joints there, so if the destruction happened in that area then I do agree with OP.

But if it's not sabon gari, then I do not agree with the OP, people who live in kano, already know the law.
the thing is when they got buzz out of sense they roam around the city with their beer bottle in hand.

even in the barracks they welcome you as a customer but when you get drunk they kick your ass out to the humane society.

my stand is he it will be ban or legalise; let it be everywhere.

but the op shred some points worth pondering.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by VoiceofanInk(m): 9:55am On Dec 05, 2013
We are gradually turning this into a religious war. I've read series of bigoted comments by people who have taken it upon themselves to protect the integrity of their religion. Does this really worth the stress?

If a ban is placed on a commodity in a state, I think it should be respected by all and sundry dwelling in that state irrespective of their religion.

However, isn't the outright banning of a religious sensitive good such as alcohol a ride too far? If the law is against the drinking of alcohol in public places, fine, it doesn't stop you from drinking. You shouldn't constitute a public nuisance and should be discreet in your consumption.

Even if the governor wants to ban alcohol outrightly, public awareness followed by a clamp down on the importation of alcohol into the state would be more civilized than destroying bottles of beer.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Mujah1deen: 10:08am On Dec 05, 2013
abbeysteph: Ds guy watz ur problem?must u alwz act like a fuckn idiot.sims u ar very proud of ur co sinners killing pple wit sword well let ds sink into ur maggot brain we xtians owns ds world n notin ur cohort cud do abt it because we av enough nukes 2 blow u pple out of ds world,d least is 2 kip terrorisn pple wit swords as ur robinhood prophet did but we ve gat d latest drons in our armour.d sounds n hovering of drones in pakistan yemen afghanistan is d fear of ur types

Can Nigeria even match Pakistan? Or Iran ? Abeg I'm a Nigerian and I can't wish doom for my country so let's not take this road. One Nigeria.
However don't worry, power will shift and Islam will once again dominate the world, you can't fight it , the islamization of Europe is already well advanced .as for naija many Christians and pagans are embracing Islam everyday so we are on the right path.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by deols(f): 10:09am On Dec 05, 2013
Ngasky: since you assume alcohol good then why cant you fight for cocaine, heroin, opium to be legalize for public consumption? B4 u jump to reply give the difference btw alcohol and other intoxicants (hard drugs) and pls skip the legalise deception done by immoral (s)elected criminals (politicians). Talk from the science persepective not religion (forget xtremism).
I was in kano throughout all the so called religious crises. Whenever such destruction is about to start there is an early warning system of massive purchase of alcohol and other intoxicants. Becouse the miscreants doing that must be fully loaded (high) before they start slaying people and stealing their properties. Ask anybody present at any massacre in Nigeria. Are the perpetrators sane or drunk?
If only for security reasons i support total eradication of all intoxicants in any form. And the government is tasked with the maintainance of security.
Pls christians does alcohol became the eleventh commandment? My own understanding of the new testament says otherwise. But can someone enlighten me?

Very reasonable.

I find it hard to fathom how Christians agree with what their religion is against when they need to go against Islam.

Any Muslim who needs to get 'high' for a religious practice is definitely deceiving himself.

1 Like

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by cannonnier(m): 10:19am On Dec 05, 2013
amiskurie: note:-im saying this as muslim.

well,if christians or other religions are denied their rights,then its against the letter the prophet muhammad(S.A.W) wrote to the church in sinai.the prophet(SAW)made strong warnings that muslims must not denied christian their rights.

pls research that.

can you prove that their right is to down alcohol into their belly.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by naptu2: 10:33am On Dec 05, 2013
1) What's the difference between the Criminal Code and the Penal Code?

2) Is Nigeria a federation or a unitary state?

3) Is bigamy an offence under the penal code?

4) What does the NDLEA do with confiscated indian hemp? Does it return the hemp to the city it originated from or does it destroy the hemp?

5) Is the criminalisation of indian hemp a violation of the rights of hemp smokers?

6) Is "desertion of a pregnant woman" a crime under the Edo State Criminal Code? Is it a crime under the Niger State Penal Code? Is it a crime under the Lagos State Criminal Code?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by BetaThings: 10:39am On Dec 05, 2013
abbeysteph: Ds guy u b real boko haram n one day american drone wil do justice 2,kip supportn d pple who ar tryn day n nite 2 divide ds country on religious line

Can you really fault my post rather then just make a general statement?
Let me ask again?
What do Christians want that Muslims have opposed?
How does a Hijab hurt a Christian
If Redeemer's University does not hurt anybody how is an Islamic Bank injuring anyone?
If you can answer those questions fairly, then you can pass judgment

But as for dividing the country - who is doing so? Who is championing it
Muslims say that Boko Haram are extremists
But it is the leadership of CAN that is being cautioned by CAN in Borno State for making inflammatory statement?

If you truly believe that Muslims are intolerant, bring your evidence
I would prefer that you as a Nigerian pray and work to tackle your problems with your Made-in-Nigeria drones rather than rely on America to do that for you
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by BetaThings: 10:46am On Dec 05, 2013
Sir cj:

Banning alcohol is not an attack on any
religion - it is not a religious duty - we
should not mix dissimilar issues

U r very economical wit d truth.very sad.
Sadly you cannot save the day
Please be lavish with the truth and let everyone see it!

Sir cj: What is secular state??

1. One where you have National Christmas Tree, + National Eid El Mawlid Tree + National Amadioha etc
Or no National Tree at all
2. And where mosques/churches/shrine can be built everywhere
and the authorities in Rivers State University will not build several churches and stop mosques from being built
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by BetaThings: 10:48am On Dec 05, 2013
sueto471: It seems u traveled during sala, u would ve known that eid el trees an
d light were put on the streets of Abuja or u decided to ignore it. Anyways, get ur facts right b4 typing ur religious sentiments. God bless d ops.....

And before they put up the Eid lights, did they ask Patience (or Sambo's wife) to commission it
With members of diplomatic corps fully present?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / Devoted Muslims Praying Under The Rain. Photos/Video / Sallah Greetings to all Nairaland Muslim Ummah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.