Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv (38983 Views)

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU President, Fagge And Okupe On ChannelsTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by otokx(m): 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
Olril18:
u will be shocked ur sack leta has already being prepared....

it appears you will have to eat up all these words, GEJ just said he never gave any ultimatum.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Image123(m): 9:40pm On Nov 30, 2013
Luchitec: ASUU is now a big joke….an organization made up many unproductive lecturers. Revamping the universities is not the sole responsibility of the government, these lecturers should contribute too. How? In the West, reputable academics purchase equipment, hire research and student assistants from grants obtained from companies and organizations. In fact, in some universities research grant portfolio and publications are the key determinants for promotion. In Nigeria, some of these lecturers do zero research, deliver archaic/poorly developed lectures and yet they want to be remunerated at par with their colleagues abroad.

Honestly, some of the major proponents of this strike thing have no business being in the university. It beats my imagination how university dons with a plethora of things to do can afford to stay away from their duty post for 5 months! Given the way the Nigerian universities are presently constituted, no improvement will be happening soon even if the government/private sector invests one trillion dollars there. It is about time the government, parents and students should make these eggheads accountable. Enough of this nonsense, there should be a yearly or biannual evaluation system for teaching and research competency for lecturers in place. All those found unproductive after each evaluation cycle should be kicked out.

Great points, but the government should take the first step in formally signing an AGREEMENT. Nothing absurd in this.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by PTAwal: 9:51pm On Nov 30, 2013
;DLike seriously. I don't want their salaries to be paid, so that students will not only be the victims. If ASUU were really fighting for the students and the betterment of education in nigeria, then the issue of their salries for not working for 5months shouldn't have been said.
Bottom line, FG should implement the 2009 agreement, student and lecturers should return to class and the lecturers should forget their past 4months salary.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Francobaresi(m): 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
Tonitelli: This is serious o!!!!see as students, or should I say children, are here chewing ASUU out for being wise and careful.you have been at home for 5 months..bla bla bla!!!abeg make una allow us hear word...some of us passed through the system when we were at home for 6months...9 months!!!And that was when the military that don't send anybody were in power....do you think it was easy??
Has it even remotely occurred to your infantile minds that this would not have even gone this long if your government had their priorities right??if Wike had spent more time talking with ASUU instead of chasing ameachi all over the place??If President Jonathan had not spent his time thinking of how to outmaneuver nPDP and all sorts??if this so called 13hr meeting had come in the 2nd or 3rd month of the strike??
And what if he had a 13hr meeting??didnt they tell him they would take his message back to their NEC??what have they come back to ask for that is bad??"Oga,abeg,we gree..but make u sign am for paper..the last one wey we sign wit perm sec na una talk say that one no go work..so make ur attorney general and central bank gov or finance minister follow put hand just in case if u drink ogogoro wake up forget wetin we yarn.."
It's simple.you are a sincere govt.they want you to show that by signing.SIGN!!!!
And by the way, they are entitled to thier salaries...they were fighting for the collective good of our university system...how some of you can actually say they should not be paid is wickedness!!so you would rather they keep quiet and allow the system go to rot and be collecting the salaries,abi??
And for them to say they don't want any of eir people victimized,it's because it has happened BEFORE!!!
Wetin ASUU do wey wrong say dem dey watch dem back, eh??i tire for una!!
I have just 1 sentense 4 u "na God go punish u ode"

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by abedoyin: 10:05pm On Nov 30, 2013
Why r we so much concern abt the 13hrs of meeting,holding a 24hrs meeting to revamp the economy system worth it,If ASUU had made mistake comminicating the resolution to is member instantaneously,FG shld nt take this has an excuse for not signing the Agreement.
FG should sign the agreement and let's go back to school.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Femistico(m): 10:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
ASUU are mad, I thank God dat fg won d war...and let gej put an end to ASUU...nothing like ASUU again
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
Happy Christmas Everyone....
I know it's early but I suffer from premature
congratulations cheesy
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Walexsammy(m): 10:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Francobaresi(m): 10:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
abedoyin: Why r we so much concern abt the 13hrs of meeting,holding a 24hrs meeting to revamp the economy system worth it,If ASUU had made mistake comminicating the resolution to is member instantaneously,FG shld nt take this has an excuse for not signing the Agreement.
FG should sign the agreement and let's go back to school.
What is dis 1 saying sef?
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by debbleopto: 10:27pm On Nov 30, 2013
wasak:
are u kidding me? u mean the FG didn't negotiate with ASUU all this while? common we all know the truth. ASUU is selfish.

This one is original master Dullard. You see very simple English, yet couldn't comprehend
Whether you enter education faculty with F10 in English. If ASUU resume by force, it does not improve the education standard, but may get worse. We experienced it in the 90's when lecturers were maltreated. Welfare of your staff is directly proportional to his effectiveness. Black men usually think upside down. That you have plenty resources does not directly translate to your prosperity. You have to use ur brain not your toilet roll worth certificate. You have plenty universities in Nigeria and abundant certificate, yet not in technologically comparable with south Africa. That's why graduating engineering students prefer working in banks. Its only entertainment sector Jonathan promised 200 million dollars. Graduate looking for work five years after obtaining that certificate. What happened to the knowledge he acquired in his brain, or it is only in paper?
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by fabulousdame(f): 10:50pm On Nov 30, 2013
fg should pay ASUU for those 5 months they dint work provided 5months skul fees is returned to d students...
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by agabaI23(m): 10:51pm On Nov 30, 2013
otokx:

it appears you will have to eat up all these words, GEJ just said he never gave any ultimatum.
Not too fast. Read what he said first!
President Goodluck Jonathan has weekend, said his government did not give the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, an ultimatum to resume work or be sacked.

Fielding questions from newsmen at the expanded caucus meeting of the Bayelsa State Peoples Democratic Party held at Government House, Yenagoa, the President said, the Supervising Minister of Education only passed on the decision of the Committee of Vice Chancellors.

“We didn’t give them ultimatum; it was the Committee of Vice Chancellors that took that decision. The Supervising Minister of Education only passed on the decision.”

Jonathan also said the strike embarked upon by the ASUU was no longer a trade dispute , but a subversive action.

He said, “What ASUU is doing is no longer trade union. I have intervened in other labour issues before now, once I invite them they respond and after the meeting they take decision and call off the strike.

“At times we don’t even give them a long notice,unlike, in the case of ASUU that was given four days notice before the meeting. As you are meeting to resolve trade disputes, you expect the trade unions to get their officials ready.

“What was expected having met with the highest authorities in the land for long hours, was for ASUU to immediately issue statement within 12 or latest 24 hours , to state their position whether they were accepting government’s offer or not. And if they are not accepting they should state the reason for that.”

“But despite the fact that I had the longest meeting with ASUU in my political history, we did not start that meeting until around 2:00pm and the meeting ended the next day in the early hours. As far as the government of Nigeria was concerned, all the critical people that should be in a meeting were there, so what else do they want?

“After that they didn’t meet until one week, despite the fact that you met with the highest authority. It was unfortunate one of them, Prof. Iyayi died.

“The way ASUU has conducted the matter shows they are extreme and when Iyayi died, they now said the strike was now indefinite, our children have been at home for over five months.”
orisun
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by simiolu1(m): 11:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
TeNDuLKaaY:
Was the CBN governor, NLc chairman, and attorney general involved in negotiations?. Why sign something you know nothing of?

When a Public Office holder signs an official document, he/she does so in his/her official capacity.
Sanusi's signature is on Naira notes not because of d person he is but because of his office.
So ASUU asking d Attorney General, FG, NLC, TUC, Finance minister and other parties to sign just means its the offices of these people that endorses d agreement as genuine.
If U have ever had a Corporate client in whatever biz U do, then U would know that multi signatures on contracts are very common.
ASUU is just trying to tie d FGs hand. Those guys are very good negotiators
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by simiolu1(m): 11:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
TeNDuLKaaY:
Was the CBN governor, NLc chairman, and attorney general involved in negotiations?. Why sign something you know nothing of?
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by simiolu1(m): 11:20pm On Nov 30, 2013
TeNDuLKaaY:

When a Public Office holder signs an official document, he/she does so in his/her official capacity.
Sanusi's signature is on Naira notes not because of d person he is but because of his office.
So ASUU asking d Attorney General, FG, NLC, TUC, Finance minister and other parties to sign just means its the offices of these people that endorses d agreement as genuine.
If U have ever had a Corporate client in whatever biz U do, then U would know that multi signatures on contracts are very common.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by debbleopto: 11:52pm On Nov 30, 2013
timwezzb: ASUU don't even NO What they Want......

NO? olodo ajowona its only football full your head.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by masciv: 11:52pm On Nov 30, 2013
OMO IBO: Lol.
Handout money and konji don show dem pepper.

On a more serious note, these guys ought tto ga back.

It is unheard of for a learnedd bunch to grossly disrespect and disobey the president after a 13 hour marathon meeting

Is he GOD?
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by masciv: 11:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
simi_olu1:

I concur to your position. many people just talk without thinking of the facts involved.Ignorance is the cause of this.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by debbleopto: 12:00am On Dec 01, 2013
Francobaresi: I have just 1 sentense 4 u "na God go punish u ode"

lack and empty of logical reasoning but full of abuse. empty dumpster.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 01, 2013
Mazi, tonitelli, etc
I will appreciate u all, u nid not be angry wit those who couldnt c wat u re saying, dat is y ASUU is on course so dat our stds can av good comprehensive analytical and researching mind.
I read to page 6 b4 reading dis page 12, I want to add that the so called 2009 Agreement was done under the supervision of GEJ then VP and took him 6mths to study before advicin Ya'ar adua to honour, he work wit ASUU to make MoU of same agreement last year and coming to tell us that the agreement is implementable, the govt official were incompetent, etc in he once says there was no such agreement.
Do u think Profs are dafts, this yr only two unions suspended strike but av to resume back fews months later.
PLS CAN WE JUST SEE IN INSINCERITY OF OUR GOVT?
The meeting with FG govt was concluded wit agreement dat they will come back to giv feedback to FG after meeting with d members because there are deviations from original agreement, then coming back to give the feedback wit condition of makin it enforceable...
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Nobody: 3:43am On Dec 01, 2013
I have read every post on this topic and all I can say is for all those supporting ASUU God go punish you. For those who understand that ASUU is looking for ways to enrich themselves God bless you. Have they discussed how they will be accountable for the trillions they asked for? They just want money money money. This same half baked lecturers who make huge grammatical errors believe all the teaching equipments will solve their problems right? It means they are the major problem of education in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 01, 2013
Darkaengel: I have read every post on this topic and all I can say is for all those supporting ASUU God go punish you. For those who understand that ASUU is looking for ways to enrich themselves God bless you. Have they discussed how they will be accountable for the trillions they asked for? They just want money money money. This same half baked lecturers who make huge grammatical errors believe all the teaching equipments will solve their problems right? It means they are the major problem of education in Nigeria.
God actually knows who 2 punish or not, you dont need telling him, ook.
The trillion they are asking for is not for ASUU and by provision of the law, the allocation and spending of the money rest with ministry and board of governors of the universities, dat's y those universities who dont partake/join ASUU when they on strike always benefitd 4m d outcomes of every strike. All ASUU nided is to make sure d fund is available for those that will allocate and spend it. understand!!!
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 01, 2013
The problem of the govt is not the lecturers salay arrears but ASUU want an enforceable agreement and the fear dat other unions will make such demands in near future. It shld be recalled that Wike statement immediately he received and read the feedback letter for ASUU is dat "..ASUU demand is outrageous, they want govt to be force to pay (remember govt willing promise to pay) the money even if the govt do not have the money, if by next year there's shortage in govt revenue or fall in oil price, the govt must get the money by all means, this is outrageous, ASUU are making new demands (a statement they av now swallow)".
This is what the lecturers want, ASUU may av bn selfish for all strikes they had embarked on, but on dis issue of education funding, NO.
It was only in GEJ that fed govt is not aving money to meet unions demands not only ASUU even the allocations to states. where is d oil surplus acct money gone into thin air.
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Francobaresi(m): 7:16am On Dec 01, 2013
debbleopto:

lack and empty of logical reasoning but full of abuse. empty dumpster.
Mr 'logical reasoner' pls kindly make me understand wat is logical in ur dumb reasoning
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by agabaI23(m): 8:53am On Dec 01, 2013
Happy new month. I honestly hope you are not a lecturer
thegreatman4ww: Mazi, tonitelli, etc
I will appreciate u all, u nid not be angry wit those who couldnt c wat u re saying, dat is y ASUU is on course so dat our stds can av good comprehensive analytical and researching mind.
I read to page 6 b4 reading dis page 12, I want to add that the so called 2009 Agreement was done under the supervision of GEJ then VP and took him 6mths to study before advicin Ya'ar adua to honour, he work wit ASUU to make MoU of same agreement last year and coming to tell us that the agreement is implementable, the govt official were incompetent, etc in he once says there was no such agreement.
Do u think Profs are dafts, this yr only two unions suspended strike but av to resume back fews months later.
PLS CAN WE JUST SEE IN INSINCERITY OF OUR GOVT?
The meeting with FG govt was concluded wit agreement dat they will come back to giv feedback to FG after meeting with d members because there are deviations from original agreement, then coming back to give the feedback wit condition of makin it enforceable...
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by simiolu1(m): 10:12am On Dec 01, 2013
Darkaengel: I have read every post on this topic and all I can say is for all those supporting ASUU God go punish you. For those who understand that ASUU is looking for ways to enrich themselves God bless you. Have they discussed how they will be accountable for the trillions they asked for? They just want money money money. This same half baked lecturers who make huge grammatical errors believe all the teaching equipments will solve their problems right? It means they are the major problem of education in Nigeria.

As a chess player, I know what it means to have an upper hand & use d advantage U have 2 force ur opponent to make tough choices.
No one is supportin ASUU; we're just sayin dat d FG should give ASUU a reason 2 trust them by SIGNING d agreement wit all parties involved.
D office of d Attorney General should sign so dat ASUU wld b able 2 drag d FG b4 d Supreme Court IF/WHEN d agreement is not honoured.
D Finance Minister is signing 2 let ASUU know that d FG has enough money 2 honour d agreement.
D Governor of d CBN is signing to make sure dat d FG would make d money available through d CBN to d relevant parties.
D FG itself is signing 2 make sure d agreement is legally binding on d FGs part.
If the FG is very sincere as it claims to be, den signing d dotted lines isn't and never will be a hard job!
Lest I forget, if d lecturers are half-baked as U claim, and dey are graduates of dis same University system, den isn't it logical dat d system needs to be revamped? Or don't U want better lecturers teaching ur children (when U eventually have)?
BTW, I am a 500 level student dat has only a semester to go. My post-final exam plans have been altered in ways U can't imagine & I'll have 2 pay for another year's rent for my hostel that I never budgeted for! So don't come here raining curses cos God already knows wu to punish.
Capeesh? Comprende? Do U understand? (Cos if U don't, den U're part of y ASUU is striking in d first place!)
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by safarigirl(f): 10:28am On Dec 01, 2013
You know you're conversing with a kid when statements like 'GOD PUNISH YOU' are being thrown at people carelessly. A supposedly educated person saying 'God punish you'. ASUU must ask for better education standards, we can't have Nigerian students beginning their arguements with 'GOD PUNISH YOU' like common street urchins
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 01, 2013
jhidey08: hw many universities do we av in Nigeria?? Hw many av pulled out
42 out of 60 have pulled out, and by Dec 4 more will.
And btw we're talking about Fed Univs oo cos the F.G does not even recognise the State Univs in this matter. They are not supposed to be striking against the F.G but their various S.G
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by Francobaresi(m): 1:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
safarigirl: You know you're conversing with a kid when statements like 'GOD PUNISH YOU' are being thrown at people carelessly. A supposedly educated person saying 'God punish you'.
Pls o hw does saying 'God punish u' 2 som1 spittin trash off his buccal cavity make u uneducated?...b careful wiv ur choice of words..jst saying...no insult intended
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by lymelyte(m): 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by natureem: 3:52pm On Dec 01, 2013
every enemy of progress (ASUU) fall down and die in FG's name
Re: ASUU Being Lambasted By Fellow Lecturers Live On Channelstv by bharyur2103(m): 4:13pm On Dec 01, 2013
I won't say I'm surprised clueless bigots like you do exist.Do you know a computer science student in a public nigerian university still learns programming language with the use of Fortran '99??How do you expect such supposed "computer scientist",with the irrelevant knowledge he acquired in the university,to compete with his "colleagues" in the global market?I once attended a lecture delivered by Dr Christopher Kolade and when the occasion was abt to end,the chairman of the occasion,with notable lecturers in my school sitted,said 80% of what we learn in nigerian universities will be useless to you in the labour market and none of the lecturers could protest this.I hope you know the revamping of public universities benefits the students more than any other party...

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Strange Test Econometrics Question In UNILAG / 399 Highest JAMB Score Is Fake - See Evidence / Esther Ruby Daniel Wins Medals In Indian University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.