Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol (4220 Views)

Say Good Bye To Petrol With Cheap CNG For Your Car / Diesel To Petrol Engine / Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
I want to embark on a project to convert my nissan truck that uses deisel(YD25) to petrol. Will start in about 2 weeks so I will post the progress here with pixs. Need advice from all the gurus in the house.its a 2003 navada double cabin fitted with a YD25 engine.I hope to use a 1997 nissan pathfinder engine. Give me all the advice u can so I don't mess up and waste money.chaooooooo!!!

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by ITbomb(m): 3:50pm On Nov 30, 2013
following
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by uboma(m): 4:05pm On Nov 30, 2013
@ op, why do u wanna do that? I have a diesel powered Toyota Hilux as an official vehicle and I must say that my expenses on fuel is far less than my colleague whose Hilux runs on Petrol.
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 4:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
uboma: @ op, why do u wanna do that? I have a diesel powered Toyota Hilux as an official vehicle and I must say that my expenses on fuel is far less than my colleague whose Hilux runs on Petrol.
U are so right!! My fuel consumption is so low ,I told someone a while ago dat I will always use diesel trucks.but a mech messed up my engine,I could not find d part,I had to buy d part eventually from d UK.after fixing it ,it was still bad.d mech had chopped my moni and was wasting it.so I wanted to sell d truck off but everyone was complaining dat it is deisel.so I want to change it to petrol b4 I sell.I got another truck to ease d stress as per transportation
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Ikenna351(m): 6:40pm On Nov 30, 2013
If I were you, i would suspend this conversion untill i get the Electrical workshop manual, wiring schematics or diagram of that Petrol engine you want to swap in, including the books of the present Diesel engine in the car. I would first study the books to be sure i can swap in the petrol engine wiring harness of the engine i want to swap in. I would also study the wiring schematics of the entire car, to know how to modify the petrol engine wiring harness to work. Then, I would go ahead with the conversion.

Any mechanic telling you that such conversion or swapping a different EFI engine in another car with different engine, will be very easy is simply deceiving you. The mechanical conversion is not where the problem is, but the electrical one. The wiring transfer wont be a simple drop. There has to be some modifications for it to work. For example, the wiring schematics will tell you which of the wires sends positive and grounds supply to the engine ECU, which will be different from the present harness in the car. The schematics will show you all the ground wires in the petrol engine harness, otherwise if all those wires are not grounded, the ECU, the sensors or injection components will never function well, which will make the engine run very bad, consume excess fuel and eventually dies. You won't even have the chance to enjoy the engine before it gives up, due to wrong engine wiring harness connections.

If you are not sure you can get the wiring conversion done properly, it would be better to find a fuel carburetted engine and swap in.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 10:28pm On Nov 30, 2013
@ikenna, can I get d diagram free on line,or do I have to pay for them.I have been browzing but have not gotten what I am to use,

1 Like

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
Startn d conversion

1 Like

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
Diesel engine out

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2013
cool

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 9:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
The deseil engine was a YD25 ,I intend to use d 3.3l V6 engine from a 97 pathfinder or frontier.the gear does not match directly so I will change d head of d gear (don't know its technical name)
Expenses so far
Engine 75k
Engine seat 6k

Tomorrow I hope to get d head of d gear changed so dat d 3.3l will fit d gear directly
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by oblo(m): 8:31am On Dec 19, 2013
Following!
@ Op..thanks for the heads up and providing me with the guy who scanned my vw passat. He did a great job. I have already referd him and he should be visiting abeokuta sumtime this week again!
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 3:53pm On Dec 19, 2013
oblo: Following!
@ Op..thanks for the heads up and providing me with the guy who scanned my vw passat. He did a great job. I have already referd him and he should be visiting abeokuta sumtime this week again!
Nice one boss
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 7:44pm On Dec 19, 2013
D head cost 10k,bought a new flywheel clutch and disc 10k,gear finger 1.5k,bolts for flywheel 0.5k, advance for mechanic 10k total expenditure today 32k

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 7:53pm On Dec 19, 2013
Gear ,if u notice anything wrong ,pls let me know ,need all d advice I can get

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 20, 2013
baconline: the gear does not match directly so I will change d head of d gear (don't know its technical name)

Gearbox bellhousing.

1 Like

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 12:43am On Dec 20, 2013
An interesting project, and one I'll be following.

I'm looking to do the same, with a 2003 Toyota Hilux. In my case though, I'm removing the 2.5 turbo diesel engine (2KD-FTV) in favour of a 4.3 V8 gasoline (3UZ-FE) from a Lexus LS430. However, I'm buying a complete running Lexus, as I want to install not just the engine, but the dash and climate control too.
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 5:04am On Dec 20, 2013
Siena: An interesting project, and one I'll be following.

I'm looking to do the same, with a 2003 Toyota Hilux. In my case though, I'm removing the 2.5 turbo diesel engine (2RZ-FE) in favour of a 4.3 V8 gasoline (3UZ-FE) from a Lexus LS430. However, I'm buying a complete running Lexus, as I want to install not just the engine, but the dash and climate control too.
I just love your gut man.
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2013
Siena:

Gearbox bellhousing.
Txs. Siena
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 5:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
Engine mounted

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
baconline: Engine mounted

Looking good. I see you decided to keep your truck an I4. smiley I thought you might be tempted by the silky power delivery of an I6. wink

What are you doing with regards fuel delivery - EFI or carburettor? Are you replacing your fuel tank with a Nissan Navara petrol item, or you're reworking the current diesel tank? And fuel lines?
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 10:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
Tx seina,its a 3.3l V6 engine,I plan to rework d deisel tank and the lines,but what I was thinking basically was to just put a fuel pump in the tank and run it thru the former pipes to deliver fuel to d engine.is there a something I should know when doing that,your input will be highly appreciated
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 26, 2013
baconline: Tx seina,its a 3.3l V6 engine,I plan to rework d deisel tank and the lines,but what I was thinking basically was to just put a fuel pump in the tank and run it thru the former pipes to deliver fuel to d engine.is there a something I should know when doing that,your input will be highly appreciated

A petrol fuel tank would be preferrable, as well as the matching fuel lines.

Fitting a pump within the tank MAY work, but you must be sure to have a baffle in place. A baffle is fitted at the lowest point of the tank, and is usually a series of shrouds, with the fuel pick-up within. The purpose of this is to make sure there's always an uninterrupted supply of gasoline for the pump to draw on. If there's no baffle, each time you brake, or turn corners, the fuel will swish away from the pump pick-up, causing momentary fuel starvation. The same will occur when descending steep inclines.

This is what causes what is called "surge", whereby the engine will cut-out, as the pump runs dry. It also causes fuel pumps to fail prematurely. The only way to have no baffle fitted and have no surge issues, would be to have a full tank of gas at all times.

And your fuel lines...the fuel lines for the diesel are too fat. Again, the engine will run with these, you'll get good flow, but lower pressure. This will cause fuel starvation at higher rpm, or mid rpm under load. Your gasoline fuel pressure regulator won't see the correct fuel pressure, and your engine will run dangerously lean. Gasoline fuel lines are thinner, so less flow, but higher pressure, which is what your gasoline engine will need.
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2013
Erm... @ mr baconline did you finally experimented the use of kerosine and diesel and/or vegetable oil to run your diesel truck?
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2013
Siena:

A petrol fuel tank would be preferrable, as well as the matching fuel lines.

Fitting a pump within the tank MAY work, but you must be sure to have a baffle in place. A baffle is fitted at the lowest point of the tank, and is usually a series of shrouds, with the fuel pick-up within. The purpose of this is to make sure there's always an uninterrupted supply of gasoline for the pump to draw on. If there's no baffle, each time you brake, or turn corners, the fuel will swish away from the pump pick-up, causing momentary fuel starvation. The same will occur when descending steep inclines.

This is what causes what is called "surge", whereby the engine will cut-out, as the pump runs dry. It also causes fuel pumps to fail prematurely. The only way to have no baffle fitted and have no surge issues, would be to have a full tank of gas at all times.

And your fuel lines...the fuel lines for the diesel are too fat. Again, the engine will run with these, you'll get good flow, but lower pressure. This will cause fuel starvation at higher rpm, or mid rpm under load. Your gasoline fuel pressure regulator won't see the correct fuel pressure, and your engine will run dangerously lean. Gasoline fuel lines are thinner, so less flow, but higher pressure, which is what your gasoline engine will need.
Thanks boss. I will look for d petrol tank asap.d mechanic is slowing down my progress.he has not shown up in over a week.
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 8:02pm On Dec 26, 2013
lomomike: Erm... @ mr baconline did you finally experimented the use of kerosine and diesel and/or vegetable oil to run your diesel truck?
grin u still remember my post.I actually tried it on a diesel generator.it worked fine.only tried it once oh

1 Like

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 26, 2013
baconline:
grin u still remember my post.I actually tried it on a diesel generator.it worked fine.only tried it once oh
By the way, nice conversion task u got there. I just hope the mechanics did a very perfect job.
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 9:04pm On Dec 26, 2013
lomomike:
By the way, nice conversion task u got there. I just hope the mechanics did a very perfect job.
I
Mounting the engine is d easier part.d electrical wiring is d real work..
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 6:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
Had to fire d mech,he was delaying d job,got another mech .we have secured d engine down now,

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
Power steering pump not having enof allowance,need to do some modifications,also d steering fluid tank is on d wrong side

Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 08, 2014
Looks like the swap's coming along nicely.

Wait - who's hand is that demonstrating lack of power steering pump clearance?
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by baconline(m): 12:13am On Jan 09, 2014
Siena: Looks like the swap's coming along nicely.
Wait - who's hand is that demonstrating lack of power steering pump clearance?
Its the mech
Re: Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol by Benedict47(m): 4:44pm On Jul 02, 2017
ITbomb:
following
That is a nice idea but remember the two engines are not the same though they work with the same principle, in other words you will have to change lots of things starting from nozzle to plug. Please where can i buy CNG conversion kits eg. Air gas mixer? Anybody with useful info should call me on 08065225693

(1) (Reply)

What's D Use Of This In My Tiny Light Camry? / I Need Your Opinion Here :honda E.O.D Or Toyota Camry Big For Nothing. / Only 25% Of Vehicles In Nigeria Are Insured – FRSC, NIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.