Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,093 members, 7,807,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? (1585 Views)

White Woman Pretending to be Black Gets Outed By Her Parents / There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! / Not From South Africa? How Does It Feel To Know You Live In A Shithole? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by norsman(m): 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2008
That is the question CNN Worldwide tackles in its unprecedented four-hour documentary series. "CNN Presents: Black in America." Forty years after the death of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., CNN Presents takes an unprecedented look at the state of black America. How far has it come? How much is left to be done?
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Jul 23, 2008
I would not know how or what it feels to be black in America. I wait to see a show on being African in America or a show on the realities of blacks compared to the reality of Africans in America ---- That will definitely get my interest and will definitely be quite interesting show to see. lol
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by HCH3COO: 12:28am On Jul 24, 2008
I'm gonna be so glued to CNN this week. like always
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by Orimili(m): 12:50am On Jul 24, 2008
Meh,  I really don't need CNN to tell me what being black in America feels like. I experience it every day. I'll probably be in the laboratory tonight anyway, or studying.
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by SeanT21(f): 12:52am On Jul 24, 2008
It feels Good to be BLACK IN AMERICA!!
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by HCH3COO: 12:52am On Jul 24, 2008
Orimili:

Meh, I really don't need CNN to tell me what being black in America feels like. I experience it every day. I'll probably be in the laboratory tonight anyway, or studying.
lol.
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by sayhi2ay(m): 12:53am On Jul 24, 2008
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by Nobody: 5:22am On Jul 24, 2008
I don't know o.
ok ok ok, I feel like a goddess, just cuz am black. hiss shior
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:35pm On Jul 24, 2008
Being black in America is a mixed experience.

The real problem is that some aspects of the system is rigged against the black man, e.g., the criminal justice system, the labor market, education, and the health system.
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by TayoD1(m): 11:56pm On Jul 24, 2008
@RichyBlack,

Being black in America is a mixed experience.
Same applies to people of ALL races.

The real problem is that some aspects of the system is rigged against the black man,.
I don't believe that. A black man is on the verge of becoming the next president of the United States. What priviledge is greater than that?

e.g., the criminal justice system,
No one picks up a black man on the streets and lock 'em up just because he/she is black. If that were the case, there will be a lot of Black millionaires from lawsuits.

the labor market,
This is so untrue. America is Capitalist country where the major motivation is money and not racial allegiance. A Black man who can prove that for every $1 an employer pays him he will make $10 for the employer, will get work ahead of a white man who can only make $5 for every $1.

education,
Again I do not see how this is true. You care to explain?

and the health system
The health system is privately run in most cases. If you have money to pay, no one ill deny you of services. Infact, ALL health facilites will treat you first whether you show an ability to pay or not. This is a fact.

1 Like

Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by norsman(m): 1:13am On Jul 25, 2008
i never go yankee i no send!
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by naijadiva2(f): 4:48am On Jul 25, 2008
i watch part one yesterday and it was good, but the one they did today on black men to me was just full of excuses and can happen to anyone,
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:07am On Jul 25, 2008
Tayo-D:

@RichyBlack,
Same applies to people of ALL races.
I don't believe that. A black man is on the verge of becoming the next president of the United States. What priviledge is greater than that?
No one picks up a black man on the streets and lock 'em up just because he/she is black. If that were the case, there will be a lot of Black millionaires from lawsuits.
This is so untrue. America is Capitalist country where the major motivation is money and not racial allegiance. A Black man who can prove that for every $1 an employer pays him he will make $10 for the employer, will get work ahead of a white man who can only make $5 for every $1.
Again I do not see how this is true. You care to explain?
The health system is privately run in most cases. If you have money to pay, no one ill deny you of services. Infact, ALL health facilites will treat you first whether you show an ability to pay or not. This is a fact.

So, you're oblivious of the glaring fact that racism still exists in America?

I don't want to get bogged down on an endless debate on an issue like this. However, if you're willing to let me know what on God's green earth will convince you, then say it. On the other hand, if you've made up your mind to believe what you want to believe, then there's no need debating with you.

Simple question: Have you ever been convinced that your position in an argument is wrong? If "yes", tell me what conditions were met before you conceded, if "no", make we kukuma fashie - abi no be so?
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by Kobojunkie: 11:21am On Jul 25, 2008
@Excellent points there @Tayo_D
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by TayoD1(m): 2:18pm On Jul 25, 2008
@RichyBlack,

So, you're oblivious of the glaring fact that racism still exists in America?
Of course there is racism in america. There is as much Black on White racism as there is White on black racism. And in my experience, the Black on White racism is more prevalent. It is absolutely wrong however to paint America with a racist brush. If Obama doesn't acheve anything, he has at least dispelled the racist America notion from the rational mind. What obtains in America today is no different from what obtains in other countries. I dare say that Naija is more tribalistic than America is racist. The question is which is more evil?

I don't want to get bogged down on an endless debate on an issue like this. However, if you're willing to let me know what on God's green earth will convince you, then say it. On the other hand, if you've made up your mind to believe what you want to believe, then there's no need debating with you.
You made a categorical statement. I on the other hand, provided reasons why your statement is wrong. I expect you to counter with a superior argument if you can muster any, but it appears none is forthcoming. I make a decision based on facts and experience and you will need to change both to sway my mind one way or the other.

Simple question: Have you ever been convinced that your position in an argument is wrong? If "yes", tell me what conditions were met before you conceded, if "no", make we kukuma fashie - abi no be so?
Could you answer the question first and I'll see how my experience is close to or difers from yours. In any case, this has nothing to do with the topic does it?
Re: How Does It Feel To Be Black In America? by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Jul 25, 2008
Tayo-D:

@RichyBlack,
Of course there is racism in america. There is as much Black on White racism as there is White on black racism. And in my experience, the Black on White racism is more prevalent. It is absolutely wrong however to paint America with a racist brush. If Obama doesn't acheve anything, he has at least dispelled the racist America notion from the rational mind. What obtains in America today is no different from what obtains in other countries. I dare say that Naija is more tribalistic than America is racist.
I will go even further to say that is reality.

Tayo-D:

The question is which is more evil?
You made a categorical statement. I on the other hand, provided reasons why your statement is wrong. I expect you to counter with a superior argument if you can muster any, but it appears none is forthcoming. I make a decision based on facts and experience and you will need to change both to sway my mind one way or the other.
Could you answer the question first and I'll see how my experience is close to or difers from yours. In any case, this has nothing to do with the topic does it?

(1) (Reply)

MI6 'arranged Cold War Killing' Of Patrice Lumumba / A World 1st: 2 Openly Gay Men Become Prime Minister & Deputy PM / Texas Wants Secession From USA, Petition Racks Up More Than 80,000 Signatures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.