Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:00 PM

A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! (20785 Views)

The Planned Relocation Of Boko Haram Convicts To Anambra Prisons- Obiano Speaks / Traders Protest Boko Haram Prisoners’ Transfer To Anambra / Nigeria's Tragic Political Failure But Greater Economic Potential (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 2:42pm On Jan 20, 2015
Okopoly partners Anambra, Innoson on skill acquisition 0
BY OUR REPORTER ON DECEMBER 30, 2014 EDUCATION REVIEW
BY EMEKA ONWUDINJO

Federal Polytechnic, Oko took vocational training to a higher level recently when it signed a memorandum of understanding with the Anambra State government and Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing (IVM) Company, Nnewi for a partnership programme involving all technical and vocational colleges in the state.

The Anambra State Commissioner for Education, Prof Kate Azuka Omenugha, said the programme would boost technical and vocational education in the state. She said the CEO of the IVM, Chief Innocent Chukwuma obliged to make his factory available for vocational training and skill acquisition in vehicle body building and other technical knowledge which would be useful for industrial needs of the state.

Omenugha, who is the second woman professor in Mass Communication in Africa, explained that the pilot scheme under State Education Programme Investment Project (SEPIP) World Bank Assisted project would produce highly skilled personnel in technical areas with its attendant reduction in unemployment in the state.

Omenugha said Governor Willie Obiano had declared tuition free for a category of students in technical and vocational education in the state, as well as cancelled payment of any fee by physically challenged students in the state. According to her, the state government is making conscious efforts to be one of the best in education sector in the country.

Also speaking, Chief Obiano said the thrust of his administration in education sector was to ensure comfort of teachers and students, provide adequate infrastructure in all the schools. He commended Innoson motors, noting that 20 out of 120 vehicles given to the police in the state were bought from IVM and promised greater patronage ahead.

The Rector of OKOPOLY, Prof Godwin Onu said students would be issued with certificates after their skill acquisition programme at the IVM factory, adding that the programme would be of immense help for students in technical areas.

He appealed to Governor Obiano to give financial assistance and other logistics like vehicles to the institution as promised by the former governor, Mr Peter Obi, who could not fulfill his promise before he left office.

Onu commended Obiano for effective crime control in state and expressed joy that the state was no longer under the siege of kidnappers, armed robbers and other miscreants.

He said the Federal Polytechnic Oko was one of the few institutions selected by the NBTE as a training provider, where technical and vocational programmes would be run and after completion of the programme, award National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) certificate to qualified candidates.

He said the polytechnic also partnered the World Bank last year for a certificate programme for artisans in the state, which would empower them to meet future challenges. According to him, the basic requirement for admission into the programme is the ability to communicate in English.

Onu said he embraced the partnership because it was in line with NVQ programmes certified by NBTE. He stated that his institution was expected to provide access for selected students and teachers into the campus with the approval of the supervisory body, and promised to facilitate study tours for selected students where applicable.

Onu explained that apart from issuing certificates to successful candidates, OKOPOLY was expected to provide necessary training and mentoring for teachers of technical and vocational colleges in Anambra State.

He said the ploytechnic has been the vanguard of entrepreneurial skills for polytechnic students through the establishment of a centre where they are studiously drilled on skill acquisition before graduation.

Onu also commended Chukwuma for his giant strides in the automobile industry and for offering his facility to empower the youths of the state.

Recall that OKOPOLY had earlier introduced new courses to equip students with employable skills. Some of the programmes include: Mechatronics Engineering Technology, which is a melting point between Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Industrial Maintenance and Safety Engineering Technology, Aeronautics Science Technology, Aviation and Transport Management, Marine Science Technology, Nano Science Technology, Fisheries Technology, Agricultural Science Technology, Solar Power Technology, Bio-Energy Technology, Forensic Science Technology. Few weeks ago, the polytechnic hosted an international conference with Sharda University, India.
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
Tagged:
NigeriaWest Africa
Daily Independent (Lagos)
31 DECEMBER 2014
Nigeria: Word-Class Architects to Design Anambra Multi-City Model - Obiano

By Chukwujekwu Ilozue
Awka — Arrangements have been concluded to invite competent world-class architects to design the multi-city concept envisaged for the Awka Capital Territory by the state government, according to the Chairman of Board of Awka Capital Territory Development Authority (ACTDA), Mr. Chika Egwuatu.

Egwuatu disclosed this when he led the seven-month-old board members and management staff of the authority on a familiarisation visit and to present an Awka Capital Territory Model to the Chairman of Anaocha Local Government Council, Ikenna Ejiofor, and his officials.

The ACTDA boss pointed out that the advertisement for the bidding of the contract for the designing of the multi-city concept would be awarded early 2015 as soon as governor Obiano approves the Development Control Manual prepared by the Board and being vetted by an eight-member Ad-hoc Review Committee set up by the state government.

Egwuatu, accompanied by the Board's Managing Director, Mr. Joseph Okeke, Mr. Willie Okafor and Mr. Don Ifejika all architects, , as well as a management staff, Jude Oguguo stated that for the first time in the history of South-East Zone, Anambra would be the first state to use an aerial photography with 10 centimetres resolution to capture items on the ground within the Territory.

He lamented that absence of a Master Plan since 23 years of existence of the State has accounted for the haphazard construction being witnessed in the State and pointed out that such developments risks removal, adding that compensation or swapping mechanism might be considered for payment of genuinely acquired land.

He recalled that two indigenes of Anaocha Local Government Area have played key roles in sourcing and piecing together relevant materials for the packaging of the Development Control Manual, and stated that the Awka Capital Territory Model took cognizance of good aspects of Dubai, Seoul and Kigali models,and when completed, the Territory would wear a new look.

Egwuatu revealed that multi-city concept would entail developing modern cities in different places within the Territory and provided with all the necessary facilities, except that the Awka capital city model would have in addition, three arms zone, to accommodate the executive, legislative and judicial arms of government.

He noted that Anaocha falls under the 10 kilometres radius covered by the Awka Capital Territory and that necessitated the visit to brief the Council boss and his team about the plans and projects of the Authority and to seek synergy between the Authority and Council.

In his response, Anaocha Council Chairman, Hon. Ejiofor who expressed delight with the appointment of the 10-member Board in May 2014 pointed out that the speed in producing Development Control Manual within six months lends credence to the fact that the governor picked accomplished professionals who determined to achieve the vision and mission of the present administration.

Ejiofor , surrounded by his Deputy, Secretary and some supervisors and top government officials of the Council assured the Authority of all necessary support, noting that his Council area has made a mark in the area of effective planning and development.

He appreciated the speed with which the governor has been pursuing his programmes and expressed the hope that the planned multi-city concept for the Awka Capital Territory would be achieved under the Obiano administration.

1 Like

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 7:09pm On Jan 20, 2015
Philanthropist Empowers 501 Widows In Anambra-State.
A philanthropist, Chief Charles Aghaebe, on Monday said he had empowered 501 widows in Anambra East local government area, Anambra.
Each of the widows got N10,000, a wrapper and musical plate, while one of them, Mrs Agnes Mgbako, won a car during a raffle draw at the occasion.
Three others got a refrigerator each and another won a generating set at the raffle draw.
Speaking to newsmen after the event at Umueri, near Onitsha, Aghaebe said he spent more than N10 million on widows’ empowerment annually.
He said the programme was initiated in 2004, adding, “I have course to sustain it since God has been faithful and kind to me financially and otherwise.’’
The philanthropist said he was brought up by his mother, who became a widow when he was two years old.
“Having lost my father at infancy stage, I grew up in a poor home with my mother, who was the sole provider of the family.
“I knew what it means to grow-up without a father, a poor background and living a rustic village life; I realised that the world was not a bed of roses.
“So, I pleaded with God Almighty to bless me, and in return, I vowed that widows and the poor around me would not be left to suffer,’’ he said.
Aghaebe said he had empowered 1,000 widows last year, adding that the Chief Charles Aghaebe Educational Scheme had sponsored 52 secondary school students and 24 university students.
“God will keep him for us because he now marries us. I am no longer a widow,” Mrs Agnes Mgbako, who won a car through a raffle draw, said.
Another widow who won a refrigerator, Mrs Ugonma Aja, said that God had used Aghaebe to rekindle hope in her family.
“With this, I am sure of giving my family three square meals a day. Now I have gotten a husband and God will keep him for me,’’ Aja stressed.

1 Like

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan said the Federal Government has spent N10 billion on construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge out of the N130 billion total cost of the project.

The President disclosed this when he stopover at the project's site in Asaba on Saturday on his way to PDP campaign in Onitsha, Anambra.

Jonathan said it was a big project being executed under a Public Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement.

He said that now that it had taken off, its execution would go on smoothly and uninterrupted through to 48 months completion period.

"So far, out of the N130 million total cost of the project, we have spent about N10 billion.

"It is a big project and now that it has taking off, it will go on smoothly through the 48 months completion time.

"The project is a PPP arrangement, I am quite impressed with what I have seen", he said.

He added that most components required for the construction had been procured and piling work had commenced.

Mr Mike Onolomemen, Minister of Works said a lot had been done since the flag off of the project in March 2014.

Onolememen said the contracting firm, Julius Berger Nigeria, was engaged because of its antecedents, adding that almost all the procurements for the construction of the bridge were imported.

According to him, works are in progress with the piles being driven into the ground and dredging going on along the River Niger.

"For us, it is a thing of joy and certainly before the next raining season, a lot of piles would have been driven in. No doubt, development of infrastructure takes a long time."

Mr Detler Lubasch, Managing Director, Julius Berger, said work on the project would be sustained.

Lubasch said the project would be of enormous social and economic benefits and significance to the country.
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 10:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
Obiano is redrawing the map of Igbo leadership
Inside AfricaNigeriaJan 18, 2015
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 10:26pm On Jan 20, 2015
Obiano is redrawing the map of Igbo leadership
Inside AfricaNigeriaJan 18, 2015

On a balmy evening in late October last year, I ran into the former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke as he was stepping out of the Governor’s Lodge in Amawbia, Anambra State. He had just rounded off a meeting with his friend, Governor Willie Obiano and was heading to his car. A brief exchange ensued. I had been a huge fan for so long and it was a gift to finally meet him, I said. A sunny smile lit up his face as he said, “I have just told your principal what he must know. I told him that unless Anambra gets it right, the rest of your Igbo brothers will continue to search for a direction. I made him realize that this is his cross to bear.” After this comment, he quickly hopped into the open door of a black Toyota Jeep and slid noiselessly away into the gathering dusk, leaving me with a sinking awakening.

Now, it may be difficult to explain it but it would seem that Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State has finally got the message of the time. It just might be that ApkokuedikeNdigbo has risen to the call of history and begun to speak the language of the ages. Donald Duke’s didactic comment above offers a ray of light into Governor Obiano’s new awakening. Indeed, if Ndigbo have ever agreed on anything, it is on the incontestable leadership of the Igbo nation by Anambra State. No Igbo in his right mind would raise a voice in dispute against this truism.

However, many Igbo would deign to observe that in the recent past, Anambra had struggled to produce a leader that could impose himself in a comprehensive and awesome way as Nnamdi Azikiwe did, as Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu did and as his father, sir Louis did in commerce. Although Innocent Chukwumaof Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing, Cosmas Maduka of Coschar is Group, Prince Engineer Arthur Eze of Atlas Oronto Petroleum and a handful of other entrepreneurs have shown a great deal of promise, the inconvenient truth is that, as a geo-ethnic group, Ndigbo have had an impressive flowering of a thousand success stories but not a single group triumph. And it all boils down to political leadership and what we do with it.

It is against this seeming void that we have started to see the beginnings of a fascinating story of leadership; the story of someone who had all along looked very unlikely to provide Ndigbo with a purposeful and focused leadership that will finally herald their return to reckoning in Nigeria …the story of Governor Willie Obiano, who at this moment in time, looks like the round peg we have all been looking out for to fill the round hole in Igbo leadership. And this is why…

History has shown that leaders who leave a mark on human memory have always done two things – they either create the circumstances that define them or define the circumstances that create them. Willie Obiano, to my mind, belongs to the latter. Thrown into the vortex of a leadership dilemma indexed by high insecurity, plummeting morale and utter lack of group vision and aspiration, Willie Obiano is increasingly beginning to show that his reading of the socio-cultural temperature of Igboland is right. He is also gradually moving in to fill this void. Apart from his already acclaimed handling of the security challenge in Anambra, two things signpost his gradual ascension to the seat of Igbo leadership.

The first is Last Monday’s formal burial of Ndigbo who lost their lives in the Biafran war, the two world wars and the countless gales of violence that have repeatedly shaken the foundations of Nigerian unity. It was one event that nebulously connected Ndigbo across diverse geographies with one frail hope of unity and a rare sense of community. It was the first time in a long while that Ndigbo would come together for the purpose of our shared experience. Sensing the call of history, Obiano brilliantly rose to the occasion with a speech entitled Ozoemezina – Memory and the Quest for Igbo Renaissance, in which he delivered the following punch line to buttress the near lack of common grounds amongst the Igbos unless there is a threat ofimminent extinction facing them –“We shall continue our bold efforts to ensure that we are not only united in times of adversity and grief but in times of victories and peace.”

Interestingly, unlike the Great Zik, Awo or even Nkrumah who overcame the challenge of leading their peoples out of the iron grip of ignorance and colonialism or even Winston Churchill who ensured that Britain never lost the psychological battle of the 2nd World War, Willie Obiano is facing a totally different challenge – the battle to return self-belief to his people, to invoke the once famous can-do spirit of Ndigbo that says (onyekwe, chi yaekwe) and ignite the fire for the pursuit of group excellence. It is a known fact that since the smoke drifted off the last weapon in the Biafran War, Ndigbo have demonstrated mastery of individual success. Sadly, as an ethnic block in search of a vigorous voice in Nigerian leadership, failure has stared us in the face. While some people have sought explanation for this from the fierce struggle that ensued after every Igboman was reduced to a miserly 20 Pounds note at the end of the war, others believe that the famed Igbo unity that once saw town unions and associations awarding scholarships to promising youngsters in the colonial times may have been shattered with the lethal blasts of war cannons.

At the moment, Obiano seems to have found the missing spark in the emerging post-war Igbo storyline.Last Monday, he simply situated memory where it counted most when he rallied Ndigbo from across the five South Eastern states to bury their war dead. When his voice echoed in the valley of Alex Ekwueme Square on that fateful day, it touched the raw emotions of Ndigbo; the living and the dead. He strove determinedly to restore the long receded kindred spirit of his people when he observed that“hardly is there a family in this gathering without a story; a story of profound loss. But beside every story of loss sits a story of success; of glory and of abundance.”

Then, his voice rising to a crescendo, he invoked the trope of the single story made famous by ChimamandaAdichie, proudly declaring that – “to the glory of God, we are not a people with a SINGLE STORY…we are a proud, intensely driven, hardworking, innovative, adventurous and forward-looking people with more gifts than the world can take!” In one breath, he stolidly engaged the large themes of loss and victory, pain and pleasure – giving his audience a rich rhetoric to chew on a pointedly symbolic day.

Yes; leadership should be able to strain against the deluge of contending issues of governance to fish out some seemingly lost motifs, themes, ideas or leitmotif in the narrative of a people which when carefully invoked can renew their sense of worth and restore grace to a long history of wrongs. This was what Obiano has done with the memory of the Igbo war dead.

The second thing that signposts Obiano’s determined journey to Igbo leadership is a mesh of symbolic activities that might be seen as the soft issues of governance. In speeches and body language, Obiano has continued to announce himself as having risen above the savage passions of the average Nigerian leader. His full understanding of the concept of the leader as a symbol of the expressed and silent wishes of the people, his sense of aesthetics and style, his deftgrasp of the little things that matter and his uncanny ability to connect with just about anyone, mark him out as the unexpected leader of a sophisticated people.

He has shown a remarkable sensibility, a keenness to establish telepathy with the people and a boldness to demystify leadership and strip himself of the usual aloofness of many elected officers who place themselves above the echo of our common humanity. His ability to rally the people together for a common cause as he has shown with Ozoemezina as well as the fundraising he held in Lagos and Abuja to boost his efforts for a safer Anambra State also places Obiano in the front row of promising leaders.Indeed, each time his voice rises to sing the powerfully melodious Anambra Anthem which he gave to NdiAnambra to mark his first 100 days in office, Obiano surrenders his exalted office and melds into the audience in a manner that says, “Yes; leaders are human. I am one with you!”

So, in connecting with the passions of his people, in drawing attention to things that ought to matter to them and in renewing their faith in their shared ability to triumph over tragedies, Governor Willie Obiano is redrawing the map of Igbo leadership and fixing the beacons where they should be.

Source
Eze writes from Ifite, Awka, Anambra State.
(eziokwubundu@gmail.com)

1 Like

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 11:01pm On Jan 20, 2015
Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State yesterday presented the sum of N165 billion to the state lawmakers for approval as the state budget for the 2015 fiscal year, representing an increase of 3.7 percent over the 2014 budget.

Tagged “Budget of Wealth Creation and Social Cohesion” it is made up of capital estimate of N110.979 billion and recurrent estimate of N53.517 billion.

The governor said N1.8 billion was set aside in the budget for the pension scheme because the state government had starting from 2015 made the welfare of its work force a priorty.

He said his administration had plans to strengthen the Internally Generated Revenue, IGR, machinery for improved revenue generation and urged the state lawmakers to be ready to back the government’s plans by making the necessary laws.

He expressed worry that the major source of the state revenue is allocation from the federation account which according to him forms about 65 percent of the government actual receipt, lamenting that the state in recent time had not been getting much from the federation account due to the combined effects of the insurgency in the North East geo-political zone of the country and the dwindling revenue from oil. There are strong signals that the situation would linger for most part of the coming year.

Obiano told the lawmakers that as at October, his administration had implemented the current budget up to 46 percent and expressed optimism that before the end of the year, its implementation would hit 50 percent.

He stated that his government would vigorously pursue agricultural revolution as from next year, pointing out that road construction and provision of other infrastructure in that sub-sector which would take a total of 48 percent of the capital expenditure estimate in the new budget would essentially be carried out in the agricultural zone of the state.

He said agro-based investors would be encouraged to come into the state next year through provision of facilities, adding within the past seven months of his administration about US$500million investment in agriculture had been attracted into the state.

The speaker of the state assembly, Princess Chinwe Nwaebili described the achievements of the Obiano-led administration in the state in the past seven months as unprecedented, saying they accounted for the cordial relationship both arms of government had enjoyed so far. She assured that the legislature would continue to work harmoniously with the executive arm of the government to ensure adequate provision of democracy dividends to the people of the state.

The minority leader of the state assembly, Hon. Tony Muonago said the legislature would not constitute an obstacle to the state government’s efforts at moving the state forward.
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2015
Anambra Gets $2.5bn 1500mw Power Plant under Power Africa Initiative

29 Jul 2014
Font Size: a / A

Power plant

Chineme Okafor

Nigeria’s formal agreement to work with the government of the United States (US) to increase access to and availability of electricity in Nigeria through the US-backed Power Africa initiative will bequeath to Anambra State, a brand new 1500 megawatts (MW) thermal power plant.

The new thermal power project, to be built at the cost of $2.5 billion by international power firm, Global Edison Corporation, which is to be sited in Anambra State will expectedly take gas for its fuel from the gas rich eastern supply axis.

Senior Vice President for Africa of Global Edison Corporation, Peter Nwangwu disclosed at a recent signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the federal government in Abuja power to be generated from the plant when completed will however be transmitted into Nigeria’s national grid, .

The project which is coming on the framework of the US government backed Power Africa initiative that was launched last year in Cape Town, South Africa by US President, Barack Obama, will however be fully funded by Global Edison Corporation even though the company is part of beneficiaries of the initiative.

It was activated alongside with Nigeria’s formal signing of a MoU with the US to formally activate the Power Africa initiative which hopes to double the number of people with access to power in Sub-Saharan Africa, starting with six countries including Nigeria.

The MoU, which was signed by the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo on behalf of the federal government and US Ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle for the US government in Abuja now proffers a framework to coordinate the implementation and support of institutional reforms, privatisation and regulation of Nigeria’s power sector within the Power Africa initiative.

Through Power Africa, African governments, private sector and other development partners such as the World Bank and African Development Bank (AfDB) are expected to improve their power generation by 10,000 megawatts (MW), by unlocking the substantial wind, solar, hydropower, natural gas, and geothermal resources in the region.

The initiative was primed to further enhance energy security, decrease poverty and advance economic growth by building up clean, efficient electricity generation capacity as well as expanding mini-grid and off-grid solutions.

While speaking on the MoU that was signed by his company and the ministry of power, Nwangwu stated that in addition to the 1500Mw gas power plant, the company will also build a 70MW solar panel manufacturing plant in the country.

He said that: “There are two MoUs that were signed today with Global Edison, the first one is the one that we are building a 1500MW gas fuelled power station in Anambra.

The second MoU is that which we are building a 70MW solar panel manufacturing plant in Nigeria and this will be the largest in West Africa.”

“The significance of this is that we will be able to now power our rural areas and villages with reliable solar panels that will last for 30 to 50 years; imported panels have given solar energy bad names across the world but when properly designed and installed, they can be almost maintenance frees for 20 to 30 years and that is what we intend to achieve here,” Nwangwu
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 11:51pm On Jan 20, 2015
Anambra plans town-hall meeting on agriculture
Following the soar-away success the gov­ernment of Anambra State has so far re­corded in attracting signifi­cant investments into the ag­ricultural sector of the state, plans are under-way for a high-level town hall meeting on agriculture to be hosted by the government in col­laboration with the Federal Ministry of Agriculture.

The planned meeting is one of the highlights of a closed-door meeting that recently took place in Abuja between the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina and a special delegation from Anambra State Ministry of Agriculture led by the gover­nor of the state, Chief Willie Obiano.

The meeting came on the heels of a string of Memoran­da of Understanding (MoUs) the government of Anambra State recently signed with big-time investors who are cur­rently setting up shops in the food belt of the state to com­mence large-scale mechanised farming.

Giving assurances of the ministry’s readiness for the proposed meeting, Dr. Adesi­na said: “We are going to have a special agricultural engage­ment in Anambra State. I will come with a strong team and we shall have high-level delib­erations on agriculture.”

According to him, the Fed­eral Government had just ap­proved an agricultural mecha­nisation scheme estimated at N50billion, which would finally weed out the depen­dence on hoes and cutlasses by Nigerian farmers. The mechanisation support grant would enable the farmers to hire tractors and engage in modern farm practices.

The minister also declared that the Federal Government would fast-track the full reali­sation of the proposed Staple Crops Processing Zone that had been designated for Omor in Ayamelum Local Govern­ment Area of the state, de­scribing the mill as very im­portant to his ministry.

Dr. Adesina also lauded Governor Obiano’s achieve­ments in the past six months, saying the strides, had fully restored the confidence of the investment community, lead­ing to the recent acquisition of the moribund Omor Rice Mill by Joseph Agro Limited and the planned investment of $150million to revamp the mill.

Said he: “My ministry is one of the first few places you vis­ited when you were sworn in as governor of Anambra State. You are one governor that got it right. You came here to share your plans for the agri­cultural sector and I could see that you were very passionate to make an impact there. Your administration is moving at an incredible speed. I think it comes from your private sec­tor background. I followed your efforts to provide secu­rity in Anambra State and I am happy that the benefits have started pouring in now.”

The minister also assured of the readiness of his ministry to partner with Anambra State in aqua-culture, promising to lend critical support to Obi­ano’s plans to make the state a leader in the production of fingerlings in the country.

Earlier, in his opening re­marks, Obiano had appealed for the assistance of the min­ister to ensure that Anambra State was adopted by the min­istry as one of the leading ag­ricultural states in the country. Who Would Have Believed This!..... Our Own Anambra-State doing good again on Agriculture!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 12:29pm On Jan 21, 2015
Election Is not stopping Obiano from focusing on attracting tangible investments to Anambra-State!. Here Obiano is with some group of Investors from Thailand!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 12:31pm On Jan 21, 2015
More!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 2:15pm On Jan 21, 2015
Economics & Politics go hand in hand in Anambra-State!.

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 2:16pm On Jan 21, 2015
More!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 11:58am On Jan 22, 2015
Premier Brewery Onitsha to commence production in 2015
December 30, 2014 | Filed under: main story | Author: Editor

Prince Arthur Eze, the Chairman, Board of Directors, Premier Breweries Plc, Onitsha, said on Tuesday that the company would commence full stream production of beer in the first quarter of 2015.
Eze said this while addressing shareholders of the company during the 2014 annual general meeting of the company for the year ended March, 2014, held in Enugu.
He noted that with the assurances of the company’s technical partners and the level of re-engineering so far achieved, the company would resume its leading role in the beer production industry in the country.
“New boilers have been installed and tested while the old ones are being repaired to serve as standby facility. A new Ammonia cooling system has been installed along with new compressor.
“A new glycol cooling system has been installed with stainless pipes while the room cooling system that is now in place is changed from ammonia to Freon to minimise hazardous leaks in the factory,’’ he said.
The chairman said that electricity supply had been stabilised with the installation of a 500KVA generator while water supply was already in place from which the company produces the table water that was already in the market.
Eze explained that with about N1 billion share capital, the company settled a monthly electricity bill of N1 million and a salary bill of N3.4 million.
He assured the shareholders of better days ahead and commended them for their patience and understanding during the turbulence the company experienced.
Some of the shareholders commended the board members for their efforts to revamp the company.
(NAN)
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 12:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Importers Flay Jonathan, Obi, Okonjo-Iweala Over Onitsha Seaport

ARTICLE | JANUARY 22, 2015 - 3:45AM

Dilionye Dilibe, Onitsha

The economic liability of Onitsha Seaport posed by the inability of the Federal Government to put the port to effective use has been attributed to sabotage by various major stakeholders in the Transport Ministry.
However, South-East importers and traders who heaved a sigh of relief when the port was completed by the contractor that handled the project, following its commissioning by President Goodluck Jonathan are now pointing accusing fingers on the President, the former governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi and the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for the non- realization of the dream for which the port project was initiated.
Some of the importers interviewed blamed the President for condoning corruption and inaction among his cabinet. For instance they claimed that Mr. Obi who is a member of the president’s economic team with Okonjo-Iweala, co-ordinating should have advised the president on the need to activate economic activities at the port which would propel high scale direct and indirect employment to the people.
Mr. Chuma Ikediora an importer at the Onitsha Main Market reminded Nigerians the President’s pronouncement during the commissioning of the project a few years back that the former state governor, Mr. Peter Obi, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who is a prominent member in his cabinet, including some Anambra State politicians should be held responsible if the dream of setting-up the port was not actualized as they were key figures on economy serving in his government.
Another importer, Comrade Stephen Asobundu, who claimed to have also witnessed the president’s assertion during the port’s commissioning described the non-functionality of Onitsha Seaport as a national embarrassment and insult on the sensibilities of the Igbos.
He argued why the port was yet to function even after it had been certified perfect for operation by the port authorities.
The importer urged all Igbos to be vigilant as they have come back again to solicit for the people’s votes after they had been tested and mistrusted owing to poor implementation of their promises and policies to the people.
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 9:53am On Jan 23, 2015
Anambra Govt. Constitutes Committee To Ensure Maintenance Of Standard In Hospitals
— Jan 22, 2015 | 0 Comments
The Anambra Government said on Thursday that it had inaugurated the Anambra Health Re-capitalisation Committee in order to maintain standard in health and hygiene practices in hospitals within the state.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr Joe Akabuike, disclosed this while inspecting facilities at the Onitsha General Hospital.

Akabuike said the committee was set up to look into the database of all health institutions in the state with a view to shutting down sub-standard ones.

“Government has resolved to upgrade the health sector to world standard and any sub-standard hospital or clinic will soon be shut.

“We are very serious about it because people are dying without knowing why they are dying.’’

The commissioner said the state government was building three central hospitals in Onitsha, Ekwulobia and Enugwu-Ukwu, with that of Onitsha approaching completion.

He stressed the need to employ more health personnel in general hospitals and health centres, noting that the lack of personnel had been a major challenge to good healthcare delivery.

Akubuike said those to be employed would cut across professionals in the health sector, among others.(NAN)
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 9:58am On Jan 23, 2015
By Chukwujekwu Ilozue
Awka — The Anambra State Health Commissioner, Dr. Joe Akabuike, has said that his ministry will soon employ some professionals in the health sector.

The government will also build three central hospitals in the Senatorial districts of the state, he further said.

Akabuike spoke in his Nanka country home at in Orumba North Local Government Area.

He said that there is need to equip the general hospitals and health centres by employing health personnel.

The commissioner, who described his eight months as commissioner in the Health Ministry as learning process, said having acquainted himself with the ministry, he has discovered the problems confronting it, which include lack of health personnel.

"I have gone through the facilities, the manpower and have presented to the governor the need to have the people and he has given approval to that", he said.

According to him, those to be employed would include medical doctors, nurses, pharmacists, labourers and others to resuscitate the health sector.

The commissioner revealed that the state government would build three central hospitals at Onitsha, Ekwulobia and Enugwu-Ukwu, stating that already that of Onitsha has been completed. Reiterating the government's resolve and commitment to upgrade the health sector to world standard.

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 1:20am On Feb 13, 2015
THE NEW ONITSHA Governor Willie Obiano has declared the resolve of his administration to restore the lost glory of Onitsha and transform it into one of the major cities in Nigeria and the entire Sub-Saharan Africa. The governor made this declaration during the flag off of some inner city road projects in Onitsha.
The roads are Ajasa, Allen, Ezenwaand Saineez streets. The projects were awarded to the Army Corps of Engineers at the contract sum of N1.1 billion with a completion period of three months. A breakdown of this cost shows that Ajasa and Allen streets were awarded at the cost of six hundred million naira while Ezenwa and Saineez Streets were awarded at the cost of N500 million.
The governor expressed confidence that the Army Corps of Engineers would deliver a quality work and assured that streetlights and other road infrastructure would be installed on the roads while the reconstruction work would be extended to other roads in the vicinity. He therefore urged the residents of the area to avoid indiscriminate dumping of refuse inside drainages and other acts that could threaten the lifespan of the roads.
In his own remarks, the Commissioner for Works, Sir Callistus Ilozumba said the state government had embarked on massive upgrading of infrastructure in Onitsha and environs and further noted that 90% of roads in the city were constructed by APGA government. Sir Ilozumba enjoined the people to give the contractor the necessary support to enable it deliver the roads on schedule.
Responding, the Commander, Engineering Corps of the Nigerian Army, Major General John Davies said they had enjoyed the privilege of working for Anambra State Government having just completed the internal roads at the Army Barracks, Onitsha.
Major General Davies urged the people to give Governor Obiano total support as he had good intentions and a commitment to uplift the state. He assured that they would deliver quality work while looking forward to greater partnership with the state government.
Also speaking at the event, the Director General of APGA Campaign Organization, Senator AlphonsusIgbeke implored the people to support Governor Obiano’s commitment to good governance by voting massively for APGA candidates in the coming elections.

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 3:59pm On May 29, 2015
Agulu Lake Area of Awka Capital Teritary!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:04pm On May 29, 2015
Obiano Laying The Foundation Stone of The New World Class Radio & Television Studio at Awka Anambra-State of Alaigbo recently!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:12pm On May 29, 2015
Sabmillar Factory Onitsha Anambra-State!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:21pm On May 29, 2015
Obiano was at Sabmillar Onitsha where he commissioned another production Line. With this expansion,Sabmillar is now in a position to give jobs to between 5thousand and 10 Thousand People directly & indirectly!.

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:26pm On May 29, 2015
Anambra-State Governor, Chief Obiano meeting Buhari the Nigerian new President!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:31pm On May 29, 2015
Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha to Open Q3 2016 in Nigeria

Carlson Rezidor further strengthens its presence in Nigeria by announcing the Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha. The mid-market property featuring 152 keys is already under construction and scheduled to open in Q3 2016.

Carlson Rezidor further strengthens its presence in Nigeria by announcing the Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha. The mid-market property featuring 152 keys is already under construction and scheduled to open in Q3 2016. It brings the group’s portfolio in Nigeria to 7 hotels with 1,200 rooms in operation and under development.

Carlson Rezidor is a leading international player on the African hospitality market: the group operates and develops 59 hotels with 13,200+ rooms in 26 African countries, and holds the largest pipeline of hotels and rooms under development on the continent.

“Nigeria is a key focus country for us. We are delighted to expand our network to Onitsha, the commercial and economic centre of the Anambra State”, said Wolfgang M. Neumann, President & CEO of Rezidor.

The new Park Inn by Radisson will be part of a large mixed use master plan development featuring a 15,000m2 shopping mall, a 4,500m2 convention centre (forming part of the hotel facilities), an office park and residential apartment buildings. Besides 152 guest rooms, the vibrant mid-scale hotel will offer 3 food & drink outlets, 170m2 meeting space, an outdoor swimming pool and terrace, a business centre, a 4,500m2 convention centre, and a rooftop bar and lounge.

“It is a pleasure to bring the Park Inn by Radisson brand to Onitsha and the Anambra State. Equatorial Resorts Limited has great ambitions within Nigeria. Together with Carlson Rezidor we look forward to being the igniting force behind the hospitality sector within the Anambra State community. With our local knowledge and Carlson Rezidor’s international brand standard, quality and experience in hotel management we are certain that the Park Inn Onitsha will be a shining light for a number of years to come”, said Mr Olisa Okeke, Chief Executive Officer of Equatorial Resorts Limited.

As the first internationally branded hotel in Onitsha, the Park Inn will benefit from a growing corporate market since companies such as SAB Miller, Distell and Glaxo Smith Kline have established their offices in town. Onitsha has a population of more than 1 million and the second highest per capita income in Nigeria with a thriving wholesale and retail trade. The city is also home to the Onitsha Market, one of the largest markets in West Africa.

The Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha will be operated by The Rezidor Hotel Group.

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:36pm On May 29, 2015
New Commissioners sworned in By The Anambra-State Governor Chief Obiano recently at Awka, Anambra-State!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:40pm On May 29, 2015
Okada riders protest alleged govt’s ban at Awka, Onitsha, Nnewi

NnewI—Commercial motorcycle operators, popularly known as Okada riders, in Nnewi, Anambra State, yesterday, embarked on protest against alleged plans by the state government to ban their operations in major cities of Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi.
The riders who protested usin g the platform of Motorcycle Transport Union of Nigeria, MTUN, wielded placards with inscriptions as “Governor Obiano please do not return criminals with ban on Okada operation” “If you ban Okada Operation in the state violent criminals will return because some people will be unemployed” Anyboby who ban Okada operation in the state is inviting criminals to return in the state”, among others.
Addressing MTUN members shortly after the protest, National Vice President of MTUN, Chief John Onedibe, warned that they would resist any such plan, arguing that most of their members would be thrown out of jobs.
Onedibe said he summoned an emergency meeting of the union executive over the issue in Awka and warned that any attempt by the state government to ban Okada would not only bring about labour crisis but also inflict pains on many families and economy of the state.
He said: “If over 10,000 Okada riders in Anambra would be pushed out of job, the increase in crime, would be better imagined than experienced, let alone hardship the dependants of Okada riders will face.”

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:46pm On May 29, 2015
Anambra State Bans Okada, Keke Napep From June 1

Anambra State government has followed the footsteps of Lagos State to ban motorcycles (Okada) and tricycles (Keke Napep) from operating in major highways in the metropolis, effect from June 1, 2015, Daily Independent reports.

In a statement jointly signed by commissioner for information, culture and tourism, Dr. Uju Nwogu and the commissioner for transport, Chuma Mbonu, in Awka, the state capital, said the state government new regulation affects all private and commercial motorcycle and tricycle operators.

Hence, it would be illegal for all motorcycles either private or commercial to ply the designated roads.

In Awka, it will be forbidden to ply Enugu-Onitsha expressway, Arthur Eze Avenue and Ziks Avenue, while in Onitsha, okada and keke should not be seen on Onitsha-Owerri expressway, Awka Road, Borromeo-Upper Iweka-Bridge Head road, Old and New Market roads and Oguta Road.

In Nnewi, Nnewi- Nnobi road and Nnewi – Oba road are expected to be okada and keke free. These roads are believed to be the busiest in the state.

The government said all commuters, who want to use the aforementioned roads are to use tricycles, taxis and buses provided by the state government and other commercial vehicle owners.

Also, it will be illegal for tricycles to ply the expressway both in Awka and Onitsha.

The government said law enforcement agencies, in the state have been directed to ensure strict compliance to the directive, warning that failure to comply will lead to confiscation of the mobility or will pay the sum of N5,000 and N10,000, respectively to serve as a deterrence.

The statement said: “Any motorcycle or tricycle operator caught violating this directive will have his motorcycle or tricycle impounded, retrievable by the payment of a fine of five thousand naira for motorcycles and ten thousand naira for tricycles for first offenders.

“Subsequent arrest for a second violation of this directive will attract outright confiscation of the motorcycle or tricycle by the state government.”

News of the ban will not be welcomed by many of the operators, who had on Monday, announced that they will resist any attempt by Governor Obiano to ban their operations in parts of the state.

The motorcyclists on the platform of Motorcycle Transport Union of Nigeria (MTUN), issued a warning that, the ban on their operations in the state will lead to a surge in crime rate because some people will be unemployed.
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:50pm On May 29, 2015
Adazi-Nnukwu/ Agulu road recently given a facelift by the Anambra-State govt!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by asha80(m): 4:58pm On May 29, 2015
investnow2013:

Carlson Rezidor further strengthens its presence in Nigeria by announcing the Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha. The mid-market property featuring 152 keys is already under construction and scheduled to open in Q3 2016.

Carlson Rezidor further strengthens its presence in Nigeria by announcing the Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha. The mid-market property featuring 152 keys is already under construction and scheduled to open in Q3 2016. It brings the group’s portfolio in Nigeria to 7 hotels with 1,200 rooms in operation and under development.

Carlson Rezidor is a leading international player on the African hospitality market: the group operates and develops 59 hotels with 13,200+ rooms in 26 African countries, and holds the largest pipeline of hotels and rooms under development on the continent.

“Nigeria is a key focus country for us. We are delighted to expand our network to Onitsha, the commercial and economic centre of the Anambra State”, said Wolfgang M. Neumann, President & CEO of Rezidor.

The new Park Inn by Radisson will be part of a large mixed use master plan development featuring a 15,000m2 shopping mall, a 4,500m2 convention centre (forming part of the hotel facilities), an office park and residential apartment buildings. Besides 152 guest rooms, the vibrant mid-scale hotel will offer 3 food & drink outlets, 170m2 meeting space, an outdoor swimming pool and terrace, a business centre, a 4,500m2 convention centre, and a rooftop bar and lounge.

“It is a pleasure to bring the Park Inn by Radisson brand to Onitsha and the Anambra State. Equatorial Resorts Limited has great ambitions within Nigeria. Together with Carlson Rezidor we look forward to being the igniting force behind the hospitality sector within the Anambra State community. With our local knowledge and Carlson Rezidor’s international brand standard, quality and experience in hotel management we are certain that the Park Inn Onitsha will be a shining light for a number of years to come”, said Mr Olisa Okeke, Chief Executive Officer of Equatorial Resorts Limited.

As the first internationally branded hotel in Onitsha, the Park Inn will benefit from a growing corporate market since companies such as SAB Miller, Distell and Glaxo Smith Kline have established their offices in town. Onitsha has a population of more than 1 million and the second highest per capita income in Nigeria with a thriving wholesale and retail trade. The city is also home to the Onitsha Market, one of the largest markets in West Africa.

The Park Inn by Radisson Onitsha will be operated by The Rezidor Hotel Group.

wanted to ask you what is the state of gsk company that wanted to set up factory in ozubulu? And what is the state of Distell plant that was initially abandoned?
Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 4:59pm On May 29, 2015
Ugwuagba Obosi over-looking Obosi Town Idemmili lga of Anambra-State!

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 5:10pm On May 29, 2015
asha80:
wanted to ask you what is the state of gsk company that wanted to set up factory in ozubulu? And what is the state of Distell plant that was initially abandoned?
Car Assembly Set To Open in Anambra-State

Nigeria seem to be making progress in motor assembly plants as the Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, at the weekend performed the ground-breaking ceremony for the construction of a $40 million automotive assembly plant in Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Council Area of the state.

Speaking at the foundation ceremony of the plant owned by Richbon Automotive Nigeria Limited, Obiano, said the exercise was part of dividends of his administration’s readiness to partner private investors to create jobs and industrialise the state.

According to The Sun, he revealed that, upon completion in 18 months, the place will be a world-class motor assembly plant in Africa with capacity to build all brands of vehicles including heavy-duty agricultural and construction equipment.

He commended the Chairman of Richbon Group of Companies, Mr. Cajethan Muonagolu, for choosing Anambra State for the establishment of the assembly plant, adding that it would, among other things, create over 10,000 direct jobs for the youths.

The Governor noted that Ozubulu, the host community, will hold four per cent equity in the company while the Anambra State government will have six per cent while additional two percentage will be for maintenance and development of the host community as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) project.

In his address, the Chairman of Richbon Automotive Industry Limited, Muonagolu, said the construction of the assembly plant with a life span of 18 months will, upon completion, steer the wheels of development across Africa and beyond.

He said, “this project is an ultra-modern assembly plant with three mega lines among which is the heavy-duty and light trucks assembly with production capacity for 10,000 units of trucks per annum, commercial buses assembly plant with production capacity for 2,000 units and construction machinery assembly plant with production capacity for 20,000 units per annum.”

“We are aiming to become the leading automobile company in Africa that delivers excellence in production and after sales services and we shall create over 5,000 jobs for Nigerian youths and contribute immensely to the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the state government.” he concluded.

The opening of the plant is a good omen for Anambra state and indeed Nigeria as whole. It is the right step in the right direction.

Re: A New Dawn Of Greater Economic Development Coming To Anambra-state! by investnow2013: 5:23pm On May 29, 2015
asha80:
There was a disagreement between The govt of former governor Obi & Ozubulu Land Owners concerning share allocation!.Ozubulu industrial Layout was original donated to the govt for the establishment a Machine Tool Industry!.Obiano is still looking into the deal!.The layout is very vast & can contain 6 to 10 Medium industries & one of them mentioned above have just secured their place there!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

EFCC Wants To Force Arrested PDP Spokesman, Metuh, To Write Statement — Fayose. / Fayose Attends Jumat Service In Commemoration Of His 2nd Year In Office / “Joining APC Is Like Leaving Jesus Christ For Satan” – Fayose Replies Aluko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.