Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! (8448 Views)

Is This A Potential Domain Scam? / How To Find Your Eureka Moment In Coding / Beware Of Potential Christmas Scams (2) (3) (4)

Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by ZinoFego: 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2013
We all in one way or the other have had our fair share of some interesting moments that you wished never happened in front of a potential client.

I had one recently and I can't help but share it with you my friends. I have longed to meet this new client and when we finally met, everything went really cool. We agreed on project implementation and cost without so much stress; he handed over some materials to me to commence work and promise to make bank transfer in a couple of days. I felt quite satisfied. The discussion quickly switched from core business to casual talk and when I was about leaving, I handed him my complimentary card; his staff who was nearby says he needs one as well, and I gave him.

The staff turned my laptop towards him and started typing into the address bar. I felt a little irritated because I have had clients use my laptop to check their Facebook or Yahoo accounts when our meeting was over and I have never being comfortable with it because usually, no excuse to use my extra time and internet resources is taken. When I was about asking him to allow me turn off the laptop, I saw that he was comparing something in my business card with what he has written on the address bar.

At that moment I stared at the screen, lo and behold "This Account Has Been Suspended" was boldly written on the screen. And when I checked, it was my official website on my business card that returned that page.That was the same service I am about selling. Different thoughts ran through my mind but I was prompt to come up with an excuse that there may be a miss-up somewhere, that I will have a look at it later and I quickly diverted his attention by showing him some of my other personal websites!

Anyways, it all ended well as the project is in progress.

Please you can add yours....Thank you.

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by bizfirst: 3:08am On Dec 02, 2013
I'll bet that that site was hosted with Hostgator. They are the only hosting company capable of such nonsense!

I like the way you handled it...in this case, we'll say, 'handling is king!'

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by yawatide(f): 4:44am On Dec 02, 2013
1) It is inexcusable for a web designer or web developer in this day and age to not have a working website, even if it is 1 page
2) It is even more inexcusable for anyone to hand someone a card with inaccurate information knowing that such info could be verified

Learn from your mistakes and sin no more.

Good luck!

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by ZinoFego: 5:11pm On Dec 02, 2013
I have developed and hosted over 100 websites and I have 3 personal websites running for over 5 years now. But that day choose to be very interesting. Lol!

yawa-ti-de:
1) It is inexcusable for a web designer or web developer in this day and age to not have a working website, even if it is 1 page
2) It is even more inexcusable for anyone to hand someone a card with inaccurate information knowing that such info could be verified

Learn from your mistakes and sin no more.

Good luck!
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by bug24(m): 9:12pm On Dec 02, 2013
From experience, account suspension is usually as a result of unpaid invoices in whmcs. Once u dont mark d invoice as paid, after few days, d invoice will mark u as.....lolz

Not sure av had any embarrasing moment sha.

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by dwittyc0der(f): 11:40am On Dec 03, 2013
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by olorunthobby(f): 11:41am On Dec 03, 2013
tongue
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by alphaconde(m): 11:42am On Dec 03, 2013
In my own case, I have tried over a long period of time to have audience with a governorship aspirant in my state to introduce a new campaign product. He finally invited me.
My product uses ba3s on getting to his house he left a crucial meeting to see my work. Lo and behold when he came I couldn't find my batteries. I even asked for his remote batteries, that even made me look more stupid. He gave me enough time to go out and buy. Mhen I searched for a shop to buy battery and finally I found one. When I got back to him I was sweating. I did the presentation quite well, but he never called me to seal the deal.
I was so disappointed. Thank God I turned out successful in other things, I would have concluded I had spiritual problems.
Lessons before you meet your client, don't assume you got all you require. Kindly cross check.

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by bigx(m): 11:43am On Dec 03, 2013
Lol, went to meet a client for the first time whose office was at the outskirts of port harcourt,
, their road was especially bad, after punishing my car (muddying it up in the process), the plank at the beginning of their road gave way and my 2 front tyres fell into the Big gutter.
After my Behind dressing n everything, I ended up rolling up my jeans and wearing the bathroom slippers I kept in the car and stepping in the mud to pay boys around to get it out, the client passed when it was happening and I didnt know.

Long story short sha, i was surprised when I finally met her inside but still got the job.

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by DICKtator: 11:44am On Dec 03, 2013
What type of client? Business or Bizniz?

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Dhortunn(m): 11:44am On Dec 03, 2013
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by MillionDollars: 11:45am On Dec 03, 2013
giving me N1000, calling me back and saying its a mistake its nt mine
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Anyi3(m): 11:47am On Dec 03, 2013
dwittyc0der: smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

my sister tell am oooh. Doesn't even sound embarrassing IMO.
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Greaaat: 11:48am On Dec 03, 2013
Hey Porsche I wanna try ya na na na na na
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 03, 2013
Did an Insurance Software Application presentation for some insurance guys at Lagos Island...The software has a web interface that we use to back up their database on-line....During the presentation, they asked for our previous jobs(as usual). We showed them, after i even boasted that we update and back up their database whilst the system is still being used.

It was now time to log in to the admin for the clients to see if this is true, that we do the back up on-line, which they were really concerned about cos they lost data some time ago due to the complexity the existing system takes them to carry out full back up.

I opened the admin, type first password, e no login, type again e no login.
I then opened another clients website admin to check if i could login to that one, type password, e no login.

Started dialling, Stephen.....he gave me another password. i immediately typed it, e no login.
I JUST CAST in front of like 13man and 6ladies. it was really embarrassing at that point........until i bust the c panel, scatter d tin.........

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by UjSizzle(f): 11:51am On Dec 03, 2013
lol grin
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by kunlesehan(m): 12:00pm On Dec 03, 2013
ZinoFego: I have developed and hosted over 100 websites and I have 3 personal websites running for over 5 years now. But that day choose to be very interesting. Lol!

hmmmm...some days are like that.
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Lilaex: 12:02pm On Dec 03, 2013
Help me o! Na ajebor day worry yam..

Anyi.:

my sister tell am oooh. Doesn't even sound embarrassing IMO.
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Olugbenger(m): 12:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
i've had none.
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by mcdokwe(m): 12:13pm On Dec 03, 2013
embarrassing complaints from an existing customer and especially when the complaints sound so silly that your annoyance would be difficult to conceal . imagine trying to make a scene because a programme wont install or anti virus wont update... maybe I should take that Uncle Seun's training, what's the name again?

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Alishachris: 12:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
I remember once i went to sell out a Forex Trading Seminar to a Winners Church way back in 2009. I once invited to see the presiding pastor. i had my speech neatly crammed up in my head as i had being working on it all night. Once inside the PP office, he invited me to sit down and tell him what i had on offer. Almost immediately, i started shivering all over. I couldn't remember a word to say to him. He was just there looking at me shivering, shaking, sweating all over. Mumbling in unknown languages. He just shook his head, picked up a piece of paper and asked me to put what i had into writing. i just picked up the paper and zoomed the hell off. up and until today, i can't explained what really happened to me that day. I have spoken to bigger and more powerful men. It cannot be Nervousness. It's still a mystery to me today.

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by adexsimply(m): 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
nutty_hnic: Did an Insurance Software Application presentation for some insurance guys at Lagos Island...The software has a web interface that we use to back up their database on-line....During the presentation, they asked for our previous jobs(as usual). We showed them, after i even boasted that we update and back up their database whilst the system is still being used.

It was now time to log in to the admin for the clients to see if this is true, that we do the back up on-line, which they were really concerned about cos they lost data some time ago due to the complexity the existing system takes them to carry out full back up.

I opened the admin, type first password, e no login, type again e no login.
I then opened another clients website admin to check if i could login to that one, type password, e no login.

Started dialling, Stephen.....he gave me another password. i immediately typed it, e no login.
I JUST CAST in front of like 13man and 6ladies. it was really embarrassing at that point........until i bust the c panel, scatter d tin.........

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by princemolak(m): 12:27pm On Dec 03, 2013
alpha conde: I would have concluded I had spiritual problems.
Lessons before you meet your client, don't assume you got all you require. Kindly cross check.
lolz
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by mcdokwe(m): 12:41pm On Dec 03, 2013
Alishachris: I remember once i went to sell out a Forex Trading Seminar to a Winners Church way back in 2009. I once invited to see the presiding pastor. i had my speech neatly crammed up in my head as i had being working on it all night. Once inside the PP office, he invited me to sit down and tell him what i had on offer. Almost immediately, i started shivering all over. I couldn't remember a word to say to him. He was just there looking at me shivering, shaking, sweating all over. Mumbling in unknown languages. He just shook his head, picked up a piece of paper and asked me to put what i had into writing. i just picked up the paper and zoomed the hell off. up and until today, i can't explained what really happened to me that day. I have spoken to bigger and more powerful men. It cannot be Nervousness. It's still a mystery to me today.

anointing things.. u sure needed deliverance

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by nnemak(m): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
tongue
Alishachris: I remember once i went to sell out a Forex Trading Seminar to a Winners Church way back in 2009. I once invited to see the presiding pastor. i had my speech neatly crammed up in my head as i had being working on it all night. Once inside the PP office, he invited me to sit down and tell him what i had on offer. Almost immediately, i started shivering all over. I couldn't remember a word to say to him. He was just there looking at me shivering, shaking, sweating all over. Mumbling in unknown languages. He just shook his head, picked up a piece of paper and asked me to put what i had into writing. i just picked up the paper and zoomed the hell off. up and until today, i can't explained what really happened to me that day. I have spoken to bigger and more powerful men. It cannot be Nervousness. It's still a mystery to me today.

hahahahah..... the prayers of your loved-ones and prevented you from talking o..else many would have rained curses on you after lossing their small cash on Forex..lol
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Lovexme(m): 1:00pm On Dec 03, 2013
[quote author=nutty_hnic][/quote]

Bro, couldn't hold my laughter grin.

I wouldn't want to be stuck in that same situation. Hopefully, the ground would open up and swallow me cheesy
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by BabaEleko(m): 1:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
I went for a job at this babe work shop, after we xchange pleasantries and got into the inner work shop, she said she can't give me the job. Choi!!!! why? shocked Because a file was missing from my resume shocked I was so embarrassed that day but i later brought out the missing file from my wallet and added it to the resume. At last i got the job. The blow j0b! cheesy grin
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by kelechiodo(m): 1:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
bug24: From experience, account suspension is usually as a result of unpaid invoices in whmcs. Once u dont mark d invoice as paid, after few days, d invoice will mark u as.....lolz.
That is what happens in ideal situation but in Nigeria here, things can be different. When I started the business of web designing, I was hosting with one company (name not mention) and I used to have such problems with them. When it happens to five websites I was hosting with them, I complained but the mumu told me that I was doing illegal activities with all the sites. But that was not true because four of the websites were owned by Churches and for information purposes only. They were all static websites. The most annoying of them all is that when I wanted to transfer the sites to another company, they guys refused. And bitterly, i arranged for my clients to change their domain names which was not funny at all as they have to change their complimentary cards, letter head papers etc. It was most annoying.

Re: Most Embarrassing Moment In Front Of A Potential Client! by Bizibi(m): 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2013
When i was in 100level, i travelled to seal a deal with a client and after making all arrangement with the owner of the product,we were all waiting for the trailer to arrive fr close to 3hrs,I later called the guy and he started telling me stories and I was pissed and didn't know wat to say but the owner was a reasonable person and told me to get another person,i had to travel all the way back to school disappointed and depressed,

Were You Affected By Google Penguin 2.1 Update On October 4? / How To Speed Up Wordpress Websites In 2022 / How To Be A Unique Blogger

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49