Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing - Religion (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing (31182 Views)

A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by brilapluz(m): 2:56am On Jan 06, 2014
Our brothers go on and on that if we say the law is abolished, why then do we still speak of giving to charity at all, show love etc since they are all in the law. we'll answer by painting this scenario. Assume my brother works in office A and he resumes for work at 8am. He works there for 4 years then gets a better paying job at office B where resumption time is also 8am. Whose rules is he obeying when he resumes at the new office B at 8am? The rules of office A? Of course NO!!. Its only a coincidence that both offices share the same resumption time. He’s effectively obedient to the constitution of the new office B. so it is with our Christian life. If we do things with similarities in the law, it's simply a good coincidence. We DO NOT LOOK to the law for leading. We look to the spirit. The death of Jesus on the cross and his resurrection brought in a better hope, a better testament hence a better constitution. He is the end of the Mosaic law

We don’t look to the law for lessons on love, There’s teaching on love all over the epistles of the apostles. We don’t look to the law to get lessons on mercy because mercy is an offshoot of love and once again, we have teachings on love by Christ which was repeated in all the epistles of the apostles. Love for my parents makes me honour them, not Mosaic law or are my brothers saying they wouldn’t love and honour their parents if not for Mosaic law? Love is the fulfilling of the law and it’s the one commandment that Christ left for his disciples.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 5:11am On Jan 06, 2014
Joagbaje:

Spot on. It's only anititithers who creat such propaganda . "IF YOU DONT TITHE YOU WILL END UP IN HELL FIRE" etc .

Joagbaje said this on the main discussion thread. Do we need to quote the Almighty Pastor Christ tithe statement to Joagbaje to validate or deny Pastor Chris statement of using fear to teach tithe to Christians even though same Joagbaje validating Pastor Chris teaching that the Law was abolished?

Also, do we need to quote to Joagbaje what Daddy G.O Adeboye said using fear and threat to teach\collect tithe from the poor? Again, what we see and witness here is,
Pastor Kun:
[size=15pt]It is impossible to be a tithe preacher and be honest, the two just don't mix.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Nobody: 5:31am On Jan 06, 2014
Are we still here..?

Thread closed!!! Everyone go home. angry

4 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2014
I think this is a SOLID point:

Mark Miwerds:

We have no problem with the fact that “all Scripture is given for doctrine.” The problem we have is when one tries to make Scripture that God specifically stated was for the nation of Israel doctrine that every nation is to obey. Using the logic that all Scripture is for doctrine and therefore to be practiced and obeyed, we must re-examine the following passage:

Exodus 32:26-27 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD'S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him. And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Hmmm, the Word of God says we should kill our neighbors, our brothers and our friends. After all, the Word is for doctrine, is it not? Of course we are not told by God to kill. Yet God did say “kill.” And all Scripture was given for doctrine. Just as the command was for the Levites to kill in Exodus 32 does not mean we are to kill our neighbors, our friends and our brothers, so also another commandment that was given to the Levites was not for us.

Hebrews 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

The Levites were given the commandment to take tithe. We were not. Context is very important when studying scripture.

In other words, the only to interpret Exodus 32 correctly is to read it in context. Realizing that God gave a command to the Levite at that time; a command that does not apply to everbody. Therefore it is not wrong to see the context in which God's command are giving in scripture; thus we have

Hebrews 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Impeccable!

3 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by brilapluz(m): 2:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
DrummaBoy: I think this is a SOLID point:

In other words, the only to interpret Exodus 32 correctly is to read it in context. Realizing that God gave a command to the Levite at that time; a command that does not apply to everbody. Therefore it is not wrong to see the context in which God's command are giving in scripture; thus we have

Impeccable!

lol..was about quoting that part from Mark Miwerds's post when i saw yours...indeed all scriptures are gud and valuable but not all are meant to be practiced by 2day's believers...tanx drummaboy 4 dese threads..God bless U all... wink

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by nora544: 2:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
http://www.tithingdebate.com/

on this side you could get some free books about tithing

http://www.cultwatch.com/howpastorsgetrich.html

and that is why many nigerian pastors preach about tithing
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by brilapluz(m): 4:27pm On Jan 07, 2014
FROM MARK,VERY IMPORTANT LESSON TO ALL...
Luke 10:3-8 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves. Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way. And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house. And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again. And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house. And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:

Who did the hiring in that passage? Was it the people to whom the seventy were sent witnessing? Or was it the Lord Jesus Christ Himself? Why, it was the Lord! He sent them for a work. Their reward for obeying the Lord was being fed and being given drink by certain people. Jesus did not tell the seventy to go look for jobs. No, He sent them on a mission to preach the kingdom of heaven. He did the hiring of those seventy. He would lay it on the hearts of people to give food and drink to the seventy.

But notice also, while these seventy were seen doing the work of the ministry, they were NEVER asked by Jesus to receive tithes. They are never seen receiving tithes of the people they were preaching to. This is an important lesson. None received tithes who were not given the tithes in the first place irrespective of whether they worked for God or not. Elijah did not receive tithes, John the Baptist did not receive tithes, Jesus did not receive tithes, the apostles did not receive tithes. All these wonderful people who worked for God including our Lord and savior DID NOT RECEIVE TITHES because they were not Levites working at the temple. The one given the tithe were the Levites (Numbers 18:24) and the tithe of tithes to the priest (Numbers 18:26,28).
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 6:47pm On Jan 08, 2014
I saw this book "Eating Sacred Cows" on a website Nora54 put up on a post. Here is a free download:

http://www.tithingdebate.com/EatingSacredCowsDownload.pdf

It brings the whole tithe matter to a head. Rather than rehearsing the many and sometimes worn out arguments by anti-tithers, it shows the tithe matter in a clear and easy to read discuss.

I recommend it for anyone who want to learn more on the biblical tithe.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by PastorKun(m): 7:02pm On Jan 08, 2014
DrummaBoy: I saw this book "Eating Sacred Cows" on a website Nora54 put up on a post. Here is a free download:

http://www.tithingdebate.com/EatingSacredCowsDownload.pdf

It brings the whole tithe matter to a head. Rather than rehearsing the many and sometimes worn out arguments by anti-tithers, it shows the tithe matter in a clear and easy to read discuss.

I recommend it for anyone who want to learn more on the biblical tithe.

Can't seem to open the link from my mobile sad is it possible you post extracts from the site here?
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:10pm On Jan 08, 2014
Pastor Kun:

Can't seem to open the link from my mobile sad is it possible you post extracts from the site here?

Its PDF; maybe that is the reason why you cannot open it. I will get extracts right away on the next posts.
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:21pm On Jan 08, 2014
I am having difficulty copying and pasting the text. It seem that is the way this PDF file I have is designed; so it will be impossible to copy and paste. Or is there a way around it?
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 6:49pm On Jan 09, 2014
If anyone is looking for the works that Abraham did, which Jesus commended, you will find it here:

Candour:

God made promises to Abraham and he exhibited faith by believing all God said even though the evidence at the time suggested otherwise. This was the work of Abraham that Jesus was asking the Jews to do. It couldn’t have been tithing as they were evidently paying tithes at this time. It couldn’t have been circumcision as they were champions of circumcision. It couldn’t have been burnt offerings as they had abundance of this practice. Infact it couldn’t have been telling of lies as their religious leaders and themselves were master liars like the devil that was leading them(John 8:44). So what was the work Christ was asking them to do? It was to simply believe him when he told them he came from God.

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent

It’s this work of believing in Jesus as sent from God that he was asking the Jews to engage in if they were truly the children of Abraham because Abraham believed God without question and it’s the one thing we are asked to emulate of Abraham today: BELIEVING IN GOD. God said Abraham’s children will keep the way of the LORD (Gen 18:19), but we must not read into the text what is not there. Scripture does not say Abram’s tithe was the “Way of the LORD.” Had Abram’s tithe been the “Way of the Lord,” God would not have had to have established a different Levitical tithe under the Law. Brethren the way of the LORD is believing God. We expect our brethren to know this.

1 Like

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:36pm On Jan 09, 2014
Still on the book Eating Sacred Cows, there is a point made about tithing in that book which I have never heard anywhere. It came under the title A Punishing Tithe. Because I cannot copy and paste it the text here, I will endeavor to summarize what the author was saying:

Taking his text from 1 Samuel 8

11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots... 15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants... He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants... 19 Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us

The author begins by showing that there is a tithe in the Old Testament that God warned his people against. In a sense that tithe was going to be something they will practice when they disobey him, and it will be a sign of his judgement on them: The Punishing Tithe. God said that whenever they will eventually get a king, this king will turn their children to slaves; he take a tenth of their harvest: seed of the ground and livestock; etc. This will come as a result of this people rejecting God as their king and seeking to be like other nations by having a king over them.

The author showed that this Punishing Tithe is what the religious churches collect today. God's arrangement for his church was to have all believers to be priests. If they will have leaders at all, it will be in special ministries to build the church unto maturity. When the church rejects God's ideal and seek to be like other religious bodies, then we will have the Priestly/Laity division. It will then transcend to the need to erect building and maintain them. These priests whom our religiosity demand, will then become kings unto us as Samuel prophesied. To maintain their lifestyle they will turn God's people to slaves and demand a tithe of their income.

We will see this extend to the point where some are revered as Pastor and considered untouchable. Like kings they will live like royalty all at the expense of the people. ETC. The author showed that this was the mentality that began the tithe doctrine in the 6th century and it is what still sustains it today.

The signature on Goshen360's post reads: "False prophets are God's judgement on our lust". Or tithing is God's judgement on our religiosity. So very apt.

I will encourage that you read the read the text on page 40 after downloading the book.

2 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by trustman: 10:47pm On Jan 09, 2014
What Image123 & partner need to understand is that ANY part of the Bible has to be rightly divided, in other words rightly interpreted, for a CORRECT APPLICATION to be made from it. There is a popular story of a person who wanted to know the mind or will of God by using a system of (1) opening at random a page of the bible, (2) placing his hand wherever, and (3) taking the verse there as God’s directive for him. The story goes on to say that the first portion he opened was ‘and Judas went and hung himself’. Then the second portion he finger went to was ‘go and do likewise’. Now, if he were to literally go by his ‘system’ he should go and hang himself. But that would be regarded as foolishness by any objective thinker because no where in scripture tells us to seek God’s will by such ‘system’.

Coming to their issue about Abraham and call for us to follow his example, a right approach would be to first know that Abraham was human (and the Bible never hid the weaknesses of even highly spiritual men like David, etc) the next thing would then be to seek to find out the same things that he did that we ought to do. How such part then lines up with other portions of scripture –particularly the New Testament – should then be examined before coming to a conclusion.

If you make a blanket statement such as “If you were Abraham's children you would do what Abraham did” and then someone points out to you the THINGS Abraham did including the negative ones which by that statement should be followed and you begin to get EMOTIONAL then something is wrong somewhere.

A clear understanding of this TITHING thing can only come from clearly reasoning out the scripture not by the emotions - emotions don't think, ever! It is always - line upon line, precept upon precept, a little here, a little there.

6 Likes

Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by vooks: 4:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
Best thread I have read in eternities
Re: Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing by Franklinus: 7:40am On Jun 10, 2015
FOR Catholics in the house and any one who is interested I invite you to read and comment on my blogposts...tell me what you think...we could have meaningful conversations and learn more about our Christian and Catholic faith. I invite those still in whatever form of doubt to log in to the credoexperience..com and ask your questions..... thanks as you do so...here is my latest post http://credoexperience..com/2015/06/the-holy-mass-forepatterned.html?m=1

Also here is my reply to the Rev.Chris OKOTIE http://credoexperience..com/2013/12/chris-okotie-i-challenge-you-my-reply.html?m=1

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Traditional Wedding Of Bishop Mike Okonkwo's Child (Photos) / Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian / 2-Year-Old Girl 'Ministers' At Christ Embassy Church (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.