Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? (19703 Views)

Man Orders Wife To Refund N1.4 Million He Spent In Marrying Her In Lagos / Marrying From An Extremely Poor Home. Can You Consider It? / My Parents Won't Let Me Date A Man From Another Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by ajuma: 1:31pm On Aug 31, 2005
Married From Another Tribe; what is the implication?

To marry from another tribe, is there any repercussion in it?
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by nobleprince(m): 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2005
Hey! I personally don't think there is anything bad/wrong in marrying someone from another tribe, once all that matters the most is love between lovers. Shall we now say that "Igbo, Hause, Ijaw, Yoruba, etc. go your way?" No!

Why don't we put aside all differences be it ethnic, religious or whatever? We all are from one creator, under one umbrella. Let the Igbo man marry the Yoruba woman if he loves her. Allow the Hausa man to marry the Igbo woman if he loves her. Allow the Christian man to marry that Muslim lady that he wants to marry.

And to talk about the implication, there would only be implications when we bring in differences, suicide,blood bath, murder etc and we shouldn't forget the quote that says that love covers multitude of sins. cool

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by hotangel2(f): 11:26pm On Aug 31, 2005
My God, Nobleprince is sooo right.

There are no disadvantages if there's love between the participants.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Greatpeter(m): 11:30pm On Aug 31, 2005
I don't really see any disadvantages in that.
I can marry anybody from anywhere.

I can not even marry from my village/town.
No reason.

3 Likes

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Motee(f): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2005
Years before now - no probs.

Now, open your eye well, find out about them, be sure you know what it takes for a different tribe to mix with them and the choice is yours.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by kenflavor(m): 12:49pm On Oct 17, 2005
What about a guy that is the first born of his parent and he doesn't understand his language (reason: parent's fault) i.e he cant express himself with his father's language and being the first born (male) of his father who happens to be the first born and head of the extended family in his home town/village. This automatically/traditionally means that, after his father's death he becomes the next Head/Leader of the entire extended family. Isn't it wrong if he marries a lady from another tribe, who doesn't know how to speak the said language and knows nothing about the culture and tradition of the said family.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by kenflavor(m): 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2005
smiley uhmmmm
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by allonym: 4:39am On Oct 22, 2005
hmm, we must be cousins
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by tcokoli: 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2005
There is no disadvantage of marrying from another tribe.
But it is a decision one has 2 take carefully.
Especially a woman cos the woman has to make all the sacrifices and adjustments.
She has to learn a new culture, has 2 make effort to be accepted by her husband's family cos she is now a member of that family.
Marriage in Africa is not just about 2 people in love families are involved.
But if there is Love the couple can weather the storms.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by klex(m): 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2005
Guys,
I am not sure i agree with the various rose tinted glasses view of marriage between tribes. It does not reflect the reality of the diversity between the various ethnic groups. I believe its a very complex and tricky issue that goes far beyond love it requires study and pragmatism.

Tell me what type of love will make a woman marry a man who in the event that he pre-deceases her, his relations will require her to drink the water used to wash the corpse or even sleep with the corpse to show she didnt kill their relation?

There are many issues involved in intra - tribal marriage, my candid advice is to ask questions, study your spouse's people, and ultimately pray that God will guide your decision in order to mitigate the possibility of grief in the future.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by abuguy64(m): 5:50am On Nov 08, 2005
Hmmmm....In the global village that we live in,such a topic should not even be discussed.The guy who does not speak his language,and is going to be head of extended family-na wahala be that oh !You better let your people know that all your deficiencies and let them decide if you can still be village head! BUT are you getting married for you OR for your family/village!? I have a similar tale as yours,except am not first son. So I packed my bags,as the Bible advised,-"a man shall leave his father and his mother" got married to someone from a different tribe(because that is whom I love and God led me to marry) and "am glinging to her". Do you know the implications of this village head thing you are talking about?! Ma broda,abeg be careful in this life oh!Good luck in whatever decisions you make.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by allonym: 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2005
enlighten us to the implications of this village head thing.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by natasha: 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2005
there are disadvantages in marrying from another tribe and it affects the woman in particular. Not everyone will accept u as a member of the family. You no longer have a hold in ur immediate family when u marry in2 another tribe.
for instance; an Ijaw girl marries a hausa man. At home she's told to keep quiet because she only has a say in her husband's house in the same vein, her inlaws still see her as that ijaw girl who married their son.
We have lots of traditions in Africa. Some traditions require the wife to eat a certain type of food, while her husband's culture see's it as a taboo.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by kenflavor(m): 5:06pm On Nov 21, 2005
@abuguy64
I didn't mean becoming the king or the Leader of the whole village. What I said is the leader of a particular family. For example Mr Green gave birth to Bat, Colins and Donts. According to Mr Green' s cultures, believes and traditions, if he dies, his first son, Bat authomatically becomes the head of the family and when Bat dies, his first son becomes the head of the extended family. So if things are meant to be shared among the children Bat's Son picks before his uncles i.e Colins and Donts, because tradition says he is the head of the family and everybody in the family respects and treats him as the head of the extended family.

Do u grab now? So if Bats First son gets married to lady from another tribe, is there not going to be a problem
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by abuguy64(m): 5:30pm On Nov 21, 2005
Hi,I understand quite well the situation you are painting.Family head of an extended family,is a big responsibility.Your "foreign wife" will never be welcomed(and neither will any wife anyway?!),especially if you also happen to be very rich. Traditionally,one can as well ask the family to choose a wife(needless to say,that will be a real battle!).However,if the family is well exposed,love the first son etc,he can get away with quite a lot. My father is first son,and he knew he was  heir apparent.His first wife was from our home town,but he was refused church wedding,because as first son,he would need more wives-he ended up with 6wives,3 from our home,and 3 from outside! When his father died,he was made head of the family,with some ceremony he probably never expected-That was the beginning of his ruin-Till today,all the wealth and property he aquired is in complete ruins.All his wives are gone,except two,who don't live with him anyway!He has run from the village and abandoned family head!!His next step brother who tried to take over,lost his mother,wife,and daughter in quick succession. He too has abandoned the headship,and is hiding in the church.
Well,the situation may be different for you!May God help you make a wise decision.ME-I told them to take all their wealth and property and shove it.God will grant me my own wealth.GOODLUCK.You want more insight,then PM me. grin angry sad
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Serioussss(m): 7:40pm On Nov 22, 2005
In a nut-shell, I am absolutely against marrying from another tribe. Well, say what you like about me and my opinion, 75 to 95 percent of inter-tribal marriage end up to a refined polygamy. This happen in a later year of the said marriage when the husband family will be agitating the man to marry a young lady from his tribe. Between you and me, we clearly know that this happens in Nigeria every now and then. So, there is no need to hide behind one finger in addressing this issue. Take a good look or random sampling in your community, you will testify to my claim when next you are on-line. Bye for now. My opinion is not final, but it could be useful for you in deciding who you marry. Marriage in Nigeria is far and above European way of marriage and love. We should not fail to remember that TRIBE is the top-most factor that determine lots of DOS and DONTS in Nigeria. Would you tell me that your family (Father, mother, siblings, uncle and others) has no say in your life? No. Absolutely no. Think very well about it before you make up your mind. Good Luck to Us (amin)
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by allonym: 8:40pm On Nov 22, 2005
lots of people seem to pretend that only their feelings matter in such decisions
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Hotstepper(f): 4:21am On Dec 20, 2005
I personally cannot marry 4rom another pride not cuz am tribalist cuz i want the culture 2 follow up. it can be very had adjusting to da traditions of the other tribe. Another reson is dat i want ma kids 2 be able 2 speak my language. If i marry a yoruba man 4 example, the child is stuck in between thereby leaving only english as an option...diz is ma insight though so no offense 2 any1..enough said
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by niniowo(f): 8:28am On Dec 20, 2005
Marriage itself is very complex. Intertribal marriage is bound to be further complication. Some of the problems are cultural conflict, language barrier, family problems. Love will play a role between the couple, but what of the family? We need to remember that in Africa, marriage is a union of families.

Though it is good for national unity, but.........look before you leap and pray hard.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:04am On Jul 21, 2006
kenflavor:

What about a guy that is the first born of his parent and he doesn't understand his language (reason: parent's fault) i.e he can't express himself with his father's language and being the first born (male) of his father who happens to be the first born and head of the extended family in his home town/village. This automatically/traditionally means that, after his father's death he becomes the next Head/Leader of the entire extended family. Isn't it wrong if he marries a lady from another tribe, who doesn't know how to speak the said language and knows nothing about the culture and tradition of the said family.

This is a very interesting paradox you bring up shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Scorpio(f): 4:35am On Jul 25, 2006
I don't see anything wrong with marrying someone else who isn't from the same tribe as you; if it's about tradition and all, there should be some common ground between the both of you(as in husband and wife), and what tribe has repecursions n all that just because someone married outside? It has to do with the people involved. To all y'all who're against marrying people from different tribes, what happens when u fall in love and the woman/man of your dreams isn't from the same tribe as you, will you let her/he go? People shouldn't jump to conclusions easily ei, there are lotz of things to consider. Personally, i couldn't b bothered if my boyfriend was white sef, it's all love n if he loves me n he's ready, darn it! i'm good to go.  grin
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by iice(f): 4:43am On Jul 25, 2006
niniowo:

Marriage itself is very complex. Intertribal marriage is bound to be further complication. Some of the problems are cultural conflict, language barrier, family problems. Love will play a role between the couple, but what of the family? We need to remember that in Africa, marriage is a union of families.

Though it is good for national unity, but, look before you leap and pray hard.

True and yes yes we know times are changing but realistically its not changing as fast as we want/wish, these traditions still exist in diff parts of the world. Personally i dont really think there shud be any problem but u really have 2 consider all aspects b4 tying the knot
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by option4301(m): 5:11pm On Jul 25, 2006
marriage has no boudaries,race,creed,social standing as long as there is love.
SHEKINA!
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Busta(f): 1:54am On Jul 26, 2006
in naija, plenty boundaries dey oh shocked

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by grafikdon: 1:52pm On Jul 26, 2006
There are numerous disadvantages of marrying from a different tribe as far as naija is concerned. I personally do not have a problem marrying from another truibe but the simple truth is that marriage in Africa is not a husband and wife affair, it is a union of families. The families of the bride and groom will merge into one big extended family where each will look out for other withouth a second thought. When you have two families from different tribe, no matter how enlightened there will be differences that may take a lot of adjustment and sacrifice to amend.

One can say the father/mother/uncles/aunts etc should not dictate the pace. While I agree with that, you must remember that friends will come and go but when the chips are down, only family will be there for you to the end, no matter how much they dislike you, they are stuck with you forever and have no choice but to attempt to bail you out. Bear that in mind before you raise your middle finger on your family members and tell them to to stick it.

There are so many obstacles and stumbling blocks on the way but once the two families get through these, that kind of union is usually glamourous. If I must marry oustside my tribe, I'll rather marry a girl from other West African countries like Senegal, Ghana or Cameroun, A French or Carribean woman, simply because I believe the Nigerian brand tribe mama drama is alien to them.

Bottom line: You can marry whatever but look before you leap. Inter tribal marriage is NOT a bed of roses.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by shantell(f): 8:24pm On Jul 26, 2006
as for me my parents sometimes say that is safer for me to marry from my own tribe but i argue with them that what if i fall in love with someone from another tribe what will happen and my mom say dat its just better to marry from ur own tribe so i don 't really think there's anything wrong but i think it depends on the particular family the person is marrying into,
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by kellorah: 8:27pm On Jul 26, 2006
PARENTS MAY NOT GET ALONG

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by debosky(m): 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2006
possibllity of the kids not learning any Nigerian language
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:17pm On Jul 26, 2006
kellorah:

PARENTS MAY NOT GET ALONG

This can happen regardless of tribe/race
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Douzy(m): 5:06pm On Sep 28, 2006
An Igboman fought at his in-laws' (Kogi State) because one of them introduced him as their okpoko. . .
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by CrazyMan(m): 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2006
I can marry someone who's not from my
side
period.
Re: Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? by Douzy(m): 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2006
It's not about CAN or CANNOT. Are there disadvantages?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? / Housewife Arrested For Battering Husband / Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.