Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Wenger Hits Out At Ballon D'or Obsession - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Wenger Hits Out At Ballon D'or Obsession (492 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / The Moment Guardiola Snubbed Ronaldo At Ballon D’or 2012 [pics + Video] / Guardiola Snubs Ronaldo's Handshake At Ballon d'Or Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wenger Hits Out At Ballon D'or Obsession by sweetiePe(f): 1:32am On Dec 04, 2013

The Arsenal boss believes the prize goes against the essence of the sport and tempts players into playing for themselves rather than the team

Arsene Wenger has hit out at football's obsession with the Ballon d'Or and says he does not want anyone to win the game's most prestigious individual prize.

Debate continues to rage over which player will be handed the award in January, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery the favourites to wrestle the crown from four-time winner and current holder Lionel Messi.

But Arsenal boss Wenger has revealed he is completely against the idea of individual prizes in a team sport and says he will fight bring to an end the trophy's existence.

The 64-year-old told Telefoot: "Who do I want to win this year? I do not want anyone at all. I am against individual awards. This is an endorsement of an individual which goes against the essence of our sport.

"I fight like a mad man against the award, which hurts football. Unconsciously, the player is prompted to favour individual performance over that of the team."

Fifa recently extended the voting deadline for the prize from November 15 to November 29, with the winner of the 2013 Ballon d'Or set to be announced at a ceremony in Zurich on January 13.

http://www.rosyside.com/pt/Wenger-hits-out-at-Ballon-dOr-obsession-12.3.2013/discussion.htm
Re: Wenger Hits Out At Ballon D'or Obsession by mystikal(m): 8:56am On Dec 05, 2013
his opinion anyway.

But I can relate to his logic

(1) (Reply)

Epl / Opinion: This Section (EPL,LA LIGA) Is Badly Moderated. / Man U Vs Southampton

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.