Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,940 members, 7,799,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies (37114 Views)

The Working Condition At Huawei Nigeria: Reason Behind #HuaweiNigeria On Twitter / Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff / Mike Adenuga Walks-Out On Glo Staff At Birthday Bash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by kalan: 1:47pm On Dec 07, 2013
nairaxchan: I hope something is done about this post and this issue is taken up, or we take the alternative- boycott their products

Sorry which product?
Do you know that they control almost 75% of telecom here in Nigeria? Who do you think is behind all the calls you make? the internet data you use? the sms you send? 75% is been controlled by huawei. They controll all of ETISALAT, AIRTEL, VISAFONE, GLO, SPECTRANET, SWIFT NETWORKS now penetrating MTN. in fact they control all the Caller tunes you hear in MTN.

Their fones are just a small fraction of their products.

On the OP lamentation, let me lay some facts and let you be the judge.

SOME GENERAL FACTS:
ASIAN companies are slave masters.
China are about 2 billion people, so their culture is to employ much and pay little.
Chinese expect loyalty 100%. hence the master slave mentality.
They dont belive in God so, their work is their god. those people can work 24/7 non stop for 7 days.
They respect their ladies a lot hence Chinese companies specifically Huawei regards their female staffs with honor

SPECIFICALLY on Huawei working conditions

1. They have a lot of workforce especially young graduates working for them averagely 2500 nationwide

2. They have 2 categories of staff- Full STAFF and OUTSOURCE staff. Among these there are those who are in Manage service team. These works in NOC, which I believe OP is one of them.

3. The Full staff enjoys all conditions like, Staff bus, medicals, Insurance, Pensions, 13 months salary, Overtime pay, 3 weeks leave and 12 sick leave yearly, Bonus sharing, according to your performance salary increase once/twice a year, Hotel accommodation and outstation allowance when you travel which could be up to 5x your salary in a month. Christmas gifts during xmas times like December.

They pay your leave BONUS which amount to your salary once in DECEMBER PLUS 13 month so that is 3x your salary. between 5k-25k monthly recharge cards- depending on your level, discounted phones rates, every one assigned a LAPTOP for work. they give extra 7 days leave for marriage, burials and others stuff

4. Entitle to all federal govt pronounced public holidays and work 8am-5pm MON-FRI. Note you should leave your desk when its 5PM and go home without waiting for your boss or taking permission from him.

5. There is no sexual harassment whatsoever from Bosses towards female staffs. if you hear, its the Nigerians dat are doing that to themselves
6. staffs are encourage to marry each other and the companies gives them a "fat" gift for that.

7. There is no "OGA" mentality. everyone is the same. your respect is in your salary and performance
8. They can give you any position you like e.g Manager RF solutions, that does mean your salary is bigger that an ordinary engineer.
9. During employment you negotiate your salary, if you say peanuts they will pay you peanut, if you say fat salary that your experience can back up you may get it.

10. promotion and salary increment is on performance basis which are based on KPIs decided between you and your immediate supervisor
11. They are very very good on training and Development. All Huawei engineers I know are very solid.
12. You have opportunities to travel within and outside the country.
13. you are not permitted to hit anyone during work hour, either within or outside the office premises no matter how provoked you are, that is immediate dismissal- end of story.

14. Graduate entry level salary is between 100k - 150k
15. Very safe office environment. you can leave your purse on top of your desk and come back tomorrow n find your money intact. if stolen by a jayjaycee, you can track the thief through CCTV cameras installed every where.

17. You rise fast if you treat customer as king and customers showers you with praises.
18. They pay you your gratuity within 2-3 months after you resign/sack
19. sacked rate is very very low, in fact reverse is the case.

FOR OUTSOURCE STAFFS 80% OF THESE THINGS ARE NOT PRESENT.

what are the evils I noticed among them:

FOR OUTSOURCE STAFFS and FULL STAFF

1. They are slave drivers, if you are lazy, you cant cope, you will be frustrated and your salary will stagnate
2. They sound racist - they feel they are better than us
3. The top positions are reserved for chinese/indian staffs, the highest Nigerians get is senior manager.
4. They can lie and teach you how to lie professionally just to get bye
5. They are very vindictive - they dont forgive or forget any wrong done to them, you will surely get repaid.
6. 85% of them treat local staff with disrespect except you personally stand up to your right and challenge such personally
7. they are hardened smokers!!!
8. They look at all local staff with suspicion as if you are a potential risk!
9. you are not permitted to run your personal business while working with them, that is instant dismissal if found out
10. they are very very strict on security, especially information security, if caught you can be dismissed
11. compared to other telecom company, remuneration is poor.
12. Chinese and indian staff are paid in dollars while local staffs are paid in Naira
13. if you're good on eye-service, you will flourish very well. Office polities is rampant.

Let me stop here, i know all these because I worked there for sometime before i moved to greater things.

I can appreciate how the OP feels, but that is the system every where, even in SHELL, Chevron, their staffs are still not satisfied.
its just human nature.

I usually say, if you cant beat them, while not leave them. God help us.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by baba11(m): 2:01pm On Dec 07, 2013
Xtaceeey: Ok.

And to think I just applied by sending my cv.

Ok but wait...
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by baba11(m): 2:02pm On Dec 07, 2013
Xtaceeey: Ok.

And to think I just applied by sending my cv.

Ok but wait...
.....likewise me....
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by funkybaby(f): 2:14pm On Dec 07, 2013
kalan:

Sorry which product?
Do you know that they control almost 75% of telecom here in Nigeria? Who do you think is behind all the calls you make? the internet data you use? the sms you send? 75% is been controlled by huawei. They controll all of ETISALAT, AIRTEL, VISAFONE, GLO, SPECTRANET, SWIFT NETWORKS now penetrating MTN. in fact they control all the Caller tunes you hear in MTN.

Their fones are just a small fraction of their products.

On the OP lamentation, let me lay some facts and let you be the judge.

SOME GENERAL FACTS:
ASIAN companies are slave masters.
China are about 2 billion people, so their culture is to employ much and pay little.
Chinese expect loyalty 100%. hence the master slave mentality.
They dont belive in God so, their work is their god. those people can work 24/7 non stop for 7 days.
They respect their ladies a lot hence Chinese companies specifically Huawei regards their female staffs with honor

SPECIFICALLY on Huawei working conditions

1. They have a lot of workforce especially young graduates working for them averagely 2500 nationwide

2. They have 2 categories of staff- Full STAFF and OUTSOURCE staff. Among these there are those who are in Manage service team. These works in NOC, which I believe OP is one of them.

3. The Full staff enjoys all conditions like, Staff bus, medicals, Insurance, Pensions, 13 months salary, Overtime pay, 3 weeks leave and 12 sick leave yearly, Bonus sharing, according to your performance salary increase once/twice a year, Hotel accommodation and outstation allowance when you travel which could be up to 5x your salary in a month. Christmas gifts during xmas times like December.

They pay your leave BONUS which amount to your salary once in DECEMBER PLUS 13 month so that is 3x your salary. between 5k-25k monthly recharge cards- depending on your level, discounted phones rates, every one assigned a LAPTOP for work. they give extra 7 days leave for marriage, burials and others stuff

4. Entitle to all federal govt pronounced public holidays and work 8am-5pm MON-FRI. Note you should leave your desk when its 5PM and go home without waiting for your boss or taking permission from him.

5. There is no sexual harassment whatsoever from Bosses towards female staffs. if you hear, its the Nigerians dat are doing that to themselves
6. staffs are encourage to marry each other and the companies gives them a "fat" gift for that.

7. There is no "OGA" mentality. everyone is the same. your respect is in your salary and performance
8. They can give you any position you like e.g Manager RF solutions, that does mean your salary is bigger that an ordinary engineer.
9. During employment you negotiate your salary, if you say peanuts they will pay you peanut, if you say fat salary that your experience can back up you may get it.

10. promotion and salary increment is on performance basis which are based on KPIs decided between you and your immediate supervisor
11. They are very very good on training and Development. All Huawei engineers I know are very solid.
12. You have opportunities to travel within and outside the country.
13. you are not permitted to hit anyone during work hour, either within or outside the office premises no matter how provoked you are, that is immediate dismissal- end of story.

14. Graduate entry level salary is between 100k - 150k
15. Very safe office environment. you can leave your purse on top of your desk and come back tomorrow n find your money intact. if stolen by a jayjaycee, you can track the thief through CCTV cameras installed every where.

17. You rise fast if you treat customer as king and customers showers you with praises.
18. They pay you your gratuity within 2-3 months after you resign/sack
19. sacked rate is very very low, in fact reverse is the case.

FOR OUTSOURCE STAFFS 80% OF THESE THINGS ARE NOT PRESENT.

what are the evils I noticed among them:

FOR OUTSOURCE STAFFS and FULL STAFF

1. They are slave drivers, if you are lazy, you cant cope, you will be frustrated and your salary will stagnate
2. They sound racist - they feel they are better than us
3. The top positions are reserved for chinese/indian staffs, the highest Nigerians get is senior manager.
4. They can lie and teach you how to lie professionally just to get bye
5. They are very vindictive - they dont forgive or forget any wrong done to them, you will surely get repaid.
6. 85% of them treat local staff with disrespect except you personally stand up to your right and challenge such personally
7. they are hardened smokers!!!
8. They look at all local staff with suspicion as if you are a potential risk!
9. you are not permitted to run your personal business while working with them, that is instant dismissal if found out
10. they are very very strict on security, especially information security, if caught you can be dismissed
11. compared to other telecom company, remuneration is poor.
12. Chinese and indian staff are paid in dollars while local staffs are paid in Naira
13. if you're good on eye-service, you will flourish very well. Office polities is rampant.

Let me stop here, i know all these because I worked there for sometime before i moved to greater things.

I can appreciate how the OP feels, but that is the system every where, even in SHELL, Chevron, their staffs are still not satisfied.
its just human nature.

I usually say, if you cant beat them, while not leave them. God help us.

Thanks for this enlightening write up.

My unemployed cousin got a technical role with them and she refused to accept the offer. She was called up to pick up the offer letter and she didn't even bother going. Her excuse was that she's heard so much of how shabbily their staff are treated.

I told her that her decision was totally stupid and and your write up has proved it.

3 Likes

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Smilenw(f): 2:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
@kalan...I refrained from commenting but had to log in to a gree with you. If you cant get along with them , leave them...as simple as that! I can't imagine working in an environment where I'm not accepted and have to fight for my rights. I'd rather stay at home than having to work with people who cant appreciate my contribution.

Having said that, new trend amongst our youth is worrisome. They hate everyone and everything with a passion. Ironically just before reading this, I was reading a thread abt a popular bank sacking few hundred staff and the comments I saw there were appalling. We have an aggressive yet clueless generation at hand. They just go around demanding respect without realizing that respect can only be earned and not demanded. Truth be told, how many nations around the world treats or welcomes Nigerians with respect? There would be few nations who would show tolerance, but respect ? Thats still a distant dream. Do you think other Africans are treated the same way as Nigerians are treated? Who do you think is responsible for this tarnished image? An average Nigerian's dream is to get rich overnight, by hook or crook. There is a story in the lit section by Zuby..a true life story abt his escapades in various European nations. Its painful how our youth waste their life just like this particular writer, all in a bid to show off. This writer is apparently proud of what he did and from the comments I saw on that thread , many are praising him and praying to be like him. Booze,babes and swag..that about sums up an average youth's dream. They go to any extent to fulfil this dream and if ithings don't work out as planned, they are quick to blame the government. The Govt., they forget has been chosen by them. I'm certain that absolutely nothing would change if the current president and the rest of the ministers were to be replaced with random people picked up from the street. Infact it could become worse. Change yourself before you change the world around you.

6 Likes

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by idojo1: 3:57pm On Dec 07, 2013
I have worked with Huawei for the last 3 years and YES I think they need to do a lot to improve the working conditions of their staffs (outsourced or full) but I have always said these words "working in Huawei could be better, but it could also be a whole lot worse".

I have been on both sides of the fence....after 5 months of post-service unemployment I joined Huawei as an outsourced staff (on a much much better package than I'd ever thought a Chinese company would give). The reminders of those 5 months at home was a huge driving-force, letting me see through all the large work and long hours, and letting me put in my ALL with minimum complaints. I was lucky enough to have my work noticed by my superiors (Chinese and Nigerian) and after spending 16 months as an outsourced staff, I was converted to a full staff with all the benefits (well, almost all) highlighted by Kalan.

Yes....working in Huawei has it perks. I think racism is a bigger issue than maltreatment of staffs mentioned by OP (yes, some of that exists). Certain (keyword: Certain, not all) Chinese staffs are outright and very open racists!!! You also have scenarios where a young Chinese half your age is brought to understudy you and in a few months he is made your "Teamlead". Many people say the coming of the Chinese to Africa is the "second colonialism" and the actions of some of these guys drives home that fact.

I think its because many Huawei staff work closely with the staff of the Network Operators (often working directly from their offices) and on a daily basis we get to see the benefits of working of such major companies. SO, many-a-times we get to compare ourselves and our working conditions with that of the operators and find we come (very) short. This could be very discouraging and disgruntling. At the same time, we work closely with the staffs of Sub-Contractors of Huawei who get even lesser benefits for even more work. The sub-cons look up to "porting" to the vendors just as we vendors look up to "porting" to the operators. (and I just as I believe the operators look up to porting to the oil-and-gas industry)

In conclusion, like I said earlier, "working for Huawei could be better, but could be a whole lot worse!!!!"

2 Likes

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by greatgeo(m): 5:14pm On Dec 07, 2013
Forget labour is their way they are the most corrupt people even if call labuor will just go and collect their own cash and the case closed. if you really want to know more about lab our ask those that works in ccee and many other company.it can only happen in nigeria
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by greatgeo(m): 5:15pm On Dec 07, 2013
Forget labour is their way they are the most corrupt people if call labuor will just go and collect their own cash and the case closed. if you really want to know more about lab our ask those that works in ccee and many other company.it can only happen in nigeria
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by funkybaby(f): 5:19pm On Dec 07, 2013
i-dojo:
I have worked with Huawei for the last 3 years and YES I think they need to do a lot to improve the working conditions of their staffs (outsourced or full) but I have always said these words "working in Huawei could be better, but it could also be a whole lot worse".

I have been on both sides of the fence....after 5 months of post-service unemployment I joined Huawei as an outsourced staff (on a much much better package than I'd ever thought a Chinese company would give). The reminders of those 5 months at home was a huge driving-force, letting me see through all the large work and long hours, and letting me put in my ALL with minimum complaints. I was lucky enough to have my work noticed by my superiors (Chinese and Nigerian) and after spending 16 months as an outsourced staff, I was converted to a full staff with all the benefits (well, almost all) highlighted by Kalan.

Yes....working in Huawei has it perks. I think racism is a bigger issue than maltreatment of staffs mentioned by OP (yes, some of that exists). Certain (keyword: Certain, not all) Chinese staffs are outright and very open racists!!! You also have scenarios where a young Chinese half your age is brought to understudy you and in a few months he is made your "Teamlead". Many people say the coming of the Chinese to Africa is the "second colonialism" and the actions of some of these guys drives home that fact.

I think its because many Huawei staff work closely with the staff of the Network Operators (often working directly from their offices) and on a daily basis we get to see the benefits of working of such major companies. SO, many-a-times we get to compare ourselves and our working conditions with that of the operators and find we come (very) short. This could be very discouraging and disgruntling. At the same time, we work closely with the staffs of Sub-Contractors of Huawei who get even lesser benefits for even more work. The sub-cons look up to "porting" to the vendors just as we vendors look up to "porting" to the operators. (and I just as I believe the operators look up to porting to the oil-and-gas industry)

In conclusion, like I said earlier, "working for Huawei could be better, but could be a whole lot worse!!!!"

Another interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Do you mind stating how much they pay outsourced staff with about one year experience?
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by idojo1: 5:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
funkybaby:

Do you mind stating how much they pay outsourced staff with about one year experience?

The general pay for an outsourced staff is about N150k (which comes to about N140k - N145k after tax). Sometimes if you are lucky, you could get about N170k or N200k depending on your project and your supervisor.

However, the "experience" matters alot. How well you adapt after employment is very Key! Huawei is a sink or swim world...do not expect any spoon feeding. If you cant keep up, you'll be blacklisted.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by funkybaby(f): 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2013
i-dojo:

The general pay for an outsourced staff is about N150k (which comes to about N140k - N145k after tax). Sometimes if you are lucky, you could get about N170k or N200k depending on your project and your supervisor.

However, the "experience" matters alot. How well you adapt after employment is very Key! Huawei is a sink or swim world...do not expect any spoon feeding. If you cant keep up, you'll be blacklisted.

Thanks Bro. My cousin created the impression that the pay was around 50k. Now, I'm really upset.

What about permanent, full time staff? What is the salary for someone with about one year experience?
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by obivan: 6:22pm On Dec 07, 2013
goodnature: The problem of this company (HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO. LIMITED) may persist if the right thing is not done. Do you know that I notified this company about Telecommunications opportunies in Nigeria in early 2002 before they came to Nigeria? I wrote our embassy in China to send me names of Telecommunications companies in China that I could woo to Nigeria and the company's name (HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO. LIMITED) was one of the companies sent to me. I then sent the company (HUAWEI) a letter and follow-up email to notify them about telecommunications opportunities in Nigeria. But I know they are making use of the opportunities to make money in Nigeria without being contacted. This company even tried to buy NITEL in 2005. See THE PUNCH 01/02/2005 page 1. I still have the copies of the letter and follow-up email sent to them in March, 2002. I also still have the copy of the letter sent to our embassy in China in Jan, 2002 to get their contacts and the letter sent to me from Nigerian embassy in China where the name of the company (HUAWEI TECHNOLOGHES CO. LIMITED was among the names of the companies sent to me. If God still remains God, HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO. LIMITED will continue to have problems if the right thing is not done. My email is: bola.lamina@gmail.com

Your point??!?!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by basilo101: 6:57pm On Dec 07, 2013
Instead of nurturing indegeneous technology we r busy encouraging invaders. I do nt pity anybody dey treat badly
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by articulate2013: 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2013
funkybaby:

Outsourced Staff with one year experience will basically be hired like a fresh graduate and will earn between #80 - #120K with no likelihood for review of salary until Jesus comes.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by goodnature: 9:15pm On Dec 07, 2013
Huawei
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by viruz007(m): 12:19am On Dec 08, 2013
I laugh and laugh at u all in 3D. Which outstation r u talking abt dat dey have significantly reduced or that takes donkey days or months to approve? Or the fact outsource staff r meant to pay for compulsory training? Traveling within the country i understand but outside i can't say.

@funkybaby i can't fault ur cousin so much for being apprehensive to accept the offer. My own advise is if he can manage d bullshit that comes with it, let him go and get experience. If only our Nigerian peeps can stick it up in both the Chinese and Indians faces, we will be better off as all this does not happen in other Huawei branches even in backyard Ghana or SA.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Oguieke(m): 2:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
Oxasbi: This is so inhuman we re nt robots 4 cryin out loud. were is Labour n the Nigerian Gov
inhuman in huwai
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
This should be on the front page. Sad that the Government can't even protect Nigerians in anyway, shape or form. This is another aspect of corruption and how it affects the people but some people will foooolishly support useless governments like this one.

One day Nigerians will realize how much they need a man like Buhari who will ensure that certain standards are to be adhered to.

Sad country.

1 Like

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by mindtricks: 10:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
Frankly speaking nothing surprises me about the wickedness being done against the Huawei staff which I don't doubt is true. What really baffles me is the fact that Nigerians appear to be incapacitated as to fighting those mess and regaining some... Little wonder so many childish reactions to a grave topic as this by many young ones who know nothing about the realities on ground until when they graduate and find themselves facing even worse situations in times to come.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by dodokire12: 5:33am On Dec 09, 2013
Most international companies especially the chinese and indian companies are fond of maltreating their staffs.

Our labour leaders are aware of these,if they are bribed they allow the company to run and in the process maltreat their fellow Nigerians.

Most outsourced staff suffer a lot,the funniest thing is that Nigerians who head these companies are the ones that give these foreigners the idea of how much they should pay to their fellow Nigerians so that they can remain as CEO"S and be rated as the best in terms of cost minimisation.

Its rather unfortunate we have a very bad government who cannot fight for us when it comes to these labour issue.

what these foreigners cannot do in their country is what theypractice here.

God dey sha.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by dustydee: 2:00pm On Dec 09, 2013
Raxxye:

What you are saying about CNPP is true. My friend got an offer there early last year, but refused it(even though he was jobless) because of the gruelling work condition he saw the staff pass through. He felt he might die within a month if he accepted the offer and stayed. Their site was in one riverine area in Ondo State. 3 months on and 12 days off. They eat their own food and drink their own water while at work. They pay their own transport when going on the 12 days off(to and fro), plus their terrible living condition while at work, plus lots of other ill-treatments! Those Chinese guys are devils!
You are joking, right? Does your friend know that it is against the labour laws in Nigeria (oil and Gas) to work for that long without rest? It is a safety issue, but as usual for reasons best known to those affected, they choose to keep quiet.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by dustydee: 2:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
kalan:

I agree with most of what you said. I joined them in 2006 as a graduate and my pay was 85k while my friend who joined the same day was 80k. I got most of the benefits you list but not gratuity when I resined after 6 months. It is not the ideal work environment but I like some of the work culture (like switching off the lights during lunch break). It is a good training ground but racial issues are common as well. Anytime I stayed at work beyond 5pm was by choice.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by delta234: 3:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
We,the masses of Nigeria should boycott these guys, with respect to whatever products/services they claim to be rendering in Nigeria. Since the government is not able to lift even a finger against these guys, it behoves on us to take necessary action(s).I remember the case of NB Plc when their erstwhile Managing Director was involved in 'dirty' politics.
I also think that more Nigerians(wealthy) should be encouraged to enter this sector and take it away from the foreigners who dominate that sector.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by projects2013: 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2013
articulate2013: Hello House,

I just got this mail that has been circulating within quarters at Huawei Technologies.
Kindly read through and express your view.

Thanks

Subject: ILL TREATMENT OF HUAWEI OUTSOURCED STAFF

Dear Sirs,
This is to bring to your notice the terrible attitude of Huawei
Technologies Company management in Nigeria towards their staff, especially
on the Airtel Managed Service.
There is a limit to which every human being can be pushed before he
pushes back. We have been pushed to that point and now we will push back
hard, so hard that it will result to a diplomatic issue.
We will list some of our reasons for vexing and hope the well meaning
people, that are still uncontaminated within the management level will take
this up.
Why should Huawei give an FME forty sites to maintain? This sites include
Airtel, Etisalat, MTN and Visafone. How do they expect the FME to be
efficient? We are also certain that the Customers are not aware about this.
This engineers work round the clock, without any form of incentive, risking
their lives even at night for a company that shows no sympathy. Many have
died on duty without any form of compensation. Today we say enough is
enough!
Early this year, the FMEs were FORCED to buy smart phones from Huawei
Technologies (a company we supposedly work for) through the (Huawei owned)
outsourced companies namely Rutotech, Lighting Networks and Qualiserve.
The cost of these phones were deducted from our salaries. Which kind of
company does that?
The worst of the victims are the Airtel NOC staff. The working conditions
are so poor that a seven months old baby was forced out of her mother's
womb prematurely (Her name is Fortune Longjohn). We work for forty eight
hours (48hrs) a week which is against Nigerian Labor Law, yet we do not get
any shift allowance. Like Mr Sunil Gupta (an indian) has boasted in the
past that the Nigerian Labour is on Huawei's payroll. Soon, we will find
out how true it is.
Some of the staff have worked for almost 3years and earn less than those
who have worked for just few months. The salary you earn in the NOC is
based on the "connection" you have. Imagine someone earns N100,000, while
another earns N300,000 doing the same job - Injustice!
One of the worst management "racist" decision is replacing Mr. Francis
Agbodike (a seasoned profession with vast international experience) with
the likes of R.S Tomar and Anicho Ogbonnaya. These two men, Tomar and
Anicho are far from being professionals, they take on personal vendetta on
staff, they know little or nothing about the job. It was only Agbodike that
brought Airtel Network outage to a single digit count. But because he is
outspoken against the injustice in the NOC, he was booted out.
Mr Tomar has once said that even if we do not want to work, there is a long
queue of people willing to take our jobs for a smaller salary. This
statement is highly demoralizing for people who give their lives to the
network. We work on a 48hr shift per week, public holidays and weekends
still yet we are not appreciated.

We are therefore calling on Airtel Nigeria Management to look into the
matter. We are not happy and will not want to seek the option of sabotaging
the network. We can and will choose that course of protest if this ill
treatment continues.

Also We are calling on the Huwei Management in China, The CEO Guo Ping, The
Founder Ren Zhengfei and Chairwoman - board of directors Sun Yafang. Please
call to order your staff in Nigeria.

We are also calling to the Chinese High Commission in Nigeria to use your
good office to bring sanity into this injustice.

We are also calling on the Nigeria Labour Congress, you have been accused
of gross corruption, this is the time to salvage yourself and rescue your
people from modern slavery in Huawei Technologies.

Finally We call on Mr Tony Ojobo, Director Public Affairs of the NCC and
Dr. Eugene Juwah the Executive Vice Chairman of the NCC. Huawei
Technologies should be investigated and then properly regulated.

We do not believe in violence, but if this issues are not addressed soon,
we might have to bring down the network. AND THIS IS NOT AN EMPTY THREAT.
Thank You.

Dignity Of Labour In Nigeria

I am a staff of Huawei.
I will not say much. will only share my employment benefits for the past 4 years with you all. after that, if you need to reconsider your position, please do for the sake of being dignified.

* employed as an engineer with just 2 years experience with a start up salary of 200k/month
* entitled to 13th month salary (received for the last 4 years)
* entitled to 15 working days leave in 1 year (if you chose not to go, it will be converted to cash in December with your 13th month. Paid for the last 4 years)
* annual increment in salary up to 20%. (God is my witness, I am receiving over 100% of what I started with now. figure it out.)
* entitled to Health insurance covering you, your spouse, ALL children.(Huawei uses HEALTH PARTNERS; please confirm from HEALTH PARTNERS). this HMO uses high class hospitals. HP is a Nigerian HMO with office in Lagos. please feel free to ask them.
* Annual Leave Bonus payable in December.
* Annual Performance Bonus allowance. Payable every May/June. (well I got over N1m before tax. Thanks to Lagos state tax law, take home was reduced be over 200k
* out of station allowance is $30 per day. there are engineers, who are out of Lagos for over a year. calculate please. this exclude hotel, transport (air, land).
* entitled to life insurance policy in case of eventuality as permitted by law.
* over 15 staff buses plying all routes for Nigeria staff. Ikorodu, Ajah, Maryland, Festac, Ikotun, Isheri, Berger, Iyan-ipaja, Abule egba, Ogba, Orile, Mile 2, Mile 12, Ketu, Dopemu, Akowonjo, Surulere, Oshodi, Ikeja
* this December, over 1 week granted by the HQ for staff to add to national public holidays.
*Monthly recharge card up to 10k.
* entitled to pension fund (Stanbic IBTC is the official pension banker) please feel free to confirm. alert received every month for the 15% paid by HR into my account. presently, I have a secured pension up to N3m with Stanbic because I work here.
* Nigeria Biggest Telecoms training centres  in Lagos Oriental Hotel office and Oakland Centre, Maitama Office in Abuja. (please feel free to confirm).
*every December, gifts are shared out. in fact if you go to Huawei Lagos office in Oriental hotel you will think Dangote has a warehouse for rice, sugar etc there. they are for Nigerian staffs! I receive every year.
most people who comment should at least carry out a research. am not in support of any wrong doing to Nigerians, but before you make a  comment, it will not hurt to investigate at least. this saves a lot of data for you. for every comments you make, you make use of internet. for every internet data you use, Huawei directly or indirectly makes more money. so you need to at least confirm else you are actually that slave they are using.

Yes, there is outsourcing, sincerely it is not illegal. feel free to be objective and check the labour law. CASUALIZATION however is illegal.

Yes, the outsource staff are not on the same platform as the full staff. this is because a local company (the outsource company) has been paid all emoluments to take care of these staffs.

No, Huawei does not own the outsource companies. this is a lie and baseless. the 3 companies mentioned above belong to Nigerians like me and you. feel free to confirm please.

Well, there is no Union, yes. in telecoms, it is not common. check out MTN, Glo, Etisalat, Ericsson, Nokia-Siemens, Airtel, Huawei, Alcatel. personally I think that is wrong as well. most of us here have little say on how things are run. well I hope we get there one day.

* this write-up above is obviously a report from an outsourced staff who feel it was wrong to increase his KPI (key performance index) without any increment in salary. this is correct. but to correct a wrong system, you can only do it from inside such system.
* he also talked about informing airtel and co, bros, they formulated the KPI for huawei so feel free write them and see.
* he mentioned one Francis Agbodike (that is if he is not the Francis anyway) as being seasoned professional. well the thing about professionalism is that you should not monopolize knowledge. such that if you are not there, others can miss you as a person but the job wont be missed. creating caucuses at work for ethnic or religious advantages is not professionalism. trust me, if those put in there to replace him do not perform as per target, and no one is found on time to perform, Huawei as a company (and trust me they have done it many times) will call him back and pay him WHATEVER he request to get his job back. there are people with monthly salary over 900k just because they have proven themselves. please investigate.
Presently, over 50 young graduates employed and undergoing professional training in Lagos and Abuja. the minimum G.P.A is 2.1. minimum entrance salary in Huawei is 150k. ASK ANYONE!!!!!!
please note, even as a Nigerian staff, I am still entitled to my opinions but you are free to castigate me (after you investigate anyway)
Thank you

7 Likes

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by projects2013: 12:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
baba11: .....likewise me....
your loss not theirs.

1 Like

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by projects2013: 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2013
funkybaby:

Thanks for this enlightening write up.

My unemployed cousin got a technical role with them and she refused to accept the offer. She was called up to pick up the offer letter and she didn't even bother going. Her excuse was that she's heard so much of how shabbily their staff are treated.

I told her that her decision was totally stupid and and your write up has proved it.
your unemployed cousin cannot survive in Huawei because he is lazy. even if he does, his mind-set will make him stagnant there. he will want to work less to get more because he will get to see MTN, glo, Etialsalat, aritel, Visafone, etc staff and wonder why he cant get more like they do. Huawei is not an operator but a vendor. Vendors own the network. they are behind the survival of the network. there is no chance for sentiments or bull-shits!
People have to place calls and such calls must be connected be it day or night of in the freaking midnight.
who do you think is behind all those midnight calls operator offer as bonanza for you guys? some people are working to make sure there is no network jam and if there someone MUST solve it.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by projects2013: 12:52pm On Dec 12, 2013
delta234: We,the masses of Nigeria should boycott these guys, with respect to whatever products/services they claim to be rendering in Nigeria. Since the government is not able to lift even a finger against these guys, it behoves on us to take necessary action(s).I remember the case of NB Plc when their erstwhile Managing Director was involved in 'dirty' politics.
I also think that more Nigerians(wealthy) should be encouraged to enter this sector and take it away from the foreigners who dominate that sector.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
hey big bors, to boycott, you should stop using the followings
1. phone lines. any network
2. internet services
3. text msgs

in fact you have just patronized them for sending that msg via internet. heheheheheheeheheheehe grin
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by ugonna1054(m): 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
LadyH: Hmmmm..... I hope they get their justice.

diz fin bout asians formin BOSS in our own country gotta stop.
yeah
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Nobody: 12:18am On Oct 18, 2014
Oguieke:
inhuman in huwai

lol... ba3 is a little bit of down side for all innjoo products. Am thinking if they improve on the ba3 the price MIGHT slightly increase
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Bigsteveg(m): 7:50am On Aug 25, 2015
idojo1:

Hi, please I just came across this article on nairaland when searching to know more about Huawei. Pls, i'll like to know more abt outsourced staff? someone promise to help, and he sent a link to me, I noticed that it's an outsourcing company to Huawei 'Phillipsoutsourcing', pls what do u know abt this company, and what are their packages like? Thanks sir. Pls, I don mind, if I can get ur number, pin or anything, i'll like to have a chat with u to be able to enlighten me more on this...pls, ure help saving my future, I need to know what i'll meet on ground. God bless

1 Like

Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Bigsteveg(m): 8:41am On Aug 25, 2015
articulate2013:

You need to put a whole lot of things into perspective to really understand why the Staff of Huawei Technologies will be that bitter. Presently Huawei Technologies is the Biggest Telecommunication Vendor in the World. At the moment Huawei Technologies Controls over 55% of the Nigerian Telecommunications Equipment market and still growing at an alarming rate. In fact with the rate it is going, the market is tending towards a monopoly, as they are muscling out other vendors like Alcatel Lucent, Ericsson, Nokia System Networks, Motorola etc.

The staff pay package, welfare, working conditions and Training is far better at all the above mentioned Vendors and Huawei's doesn't even come close to it.
The practice the world over is for NOC staff to be entitled to Shift allowance ( cos they work 24/7) and also entitled to Overtime ( cos they work more than the regular 40hrs/week). None of these is applicable to the NOC Staff of Huawei both on Etisalat and Airtel Project.

I agree with you that the writer didn't do such a good job with the write up, but the claims the Writer made in that write up are nothing but the Gospel truth about happenings in the Company.

I know these things because I worked at Huawei Technologies for a couple of years and I still have a lot of Friends there.
Hi, please I just came across this article on nairaland when searching to know more about Huawei. Pls, i'll like to know more abt outsourced staff? someone promise to help, and he sent a link to me, I noticed that it's an outsourcing company to Huawei 'Phillipsoutsourcing', pls what do u know abt this company, and what are their packages like? Thanks sir. Pls, I don mind, if I can get ur number, pin or anything, i'll like to have a chat with u to be able to enlighten me more on this...pls, ure help saving my future, I need to know what i'll meet on ground. God bless
Re: Ill Treatment Of Staff At Huawei Technologies by Bigsteveg(m): 8:42am On Aug 25, 2015
Shyna112:
The worst place to work is huawei, i work with them for more than 3 years as a microwave transmission engr, you are made to travel almost every day to the core north where they are crisis, you dont have any time for your family always away from home for more than 5month, you are made to travel at night in other to meet up with transmission work and if you don't, you are given a bad grade, and bad grade reduces your salary all this must be put to a stop, because we nigerians aren't slaves, we have our own right to work and to be treated in a good manner, that is just one of the problems we have with outsourcing work, huawei outsource staff are just like slaves, something must be done about this on time, just that i don't know who to report to, i would have taken up a personal case with them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

50% Slash In Salaries Of Heritage Bank Staff? / The Sleeping Habits Of Successful People: Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Branson / What Are The Career Option For Biochemistry Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.