Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help (6665 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:37am On Dec 04, 2013
Hi guys this is a bit long bear with me,
So I am hoping someone with a similar experience can tell me whats could be wrong. I have a Toyota Camry 2007 model which makes a funny sound (let me say its like a roaring sound but not quite, sha something that rambles). Sometime last year I got a check engine light, with vsc lights and trac lights on as well. I went to these guys I use, they scanned and told me the LHS car Tyre sensor was bad and gave me some funny bill. However I resisted the urge to just change it based on their say so, the parts seemed ridiculously expensive so I opted to buy it online from rock auto. Fortunately or should I say unfortunately I found an obd2 scanner online as well and bought it.

I came back and scanned my car and got a P420, "Efficiency of threshold bank low or so I think (picture attached)" apparently that was different from the earlier error. I cleared the error and started studying it, when it came up and I scanned I kept on getting the same code. I did my search online and found that this could mean changing my catalytic converter, I am very very very wary about these guys here so my first question would be

What is the most effective way to clear this P420 code for good, best practices, costs etc?

Back to the rumbling sound, usually the AC is on and windows up so I do not know for sure when it started. When I noticed however I took it to another place to have it checked out. The guy took it for a test drive and while with him in the car he says he is positive that its a hub and bearing problem. I was not too comfortable with the answer, I took it back to the original place where I had that first scan, they did a drive and physically checked and said bearing and hub was fine. Frustrated I went to Google I did my own search on a test drive for a bearing problem. In the videos I watched they said when you hear the sound you turn the steering to either side to ascertain where it was coming from. I did that and noticed that the sound did not change whether I was turning left or right, I noticed something funny however.

When I accelerated i.e push the gas down is the only time I hear the sound, when the car has hit even 100 to 120 km/h I do not hear the sound except I am pushing the accelerator down. I also noticed that between 1000 and 2000 rpm while driving I do not hear the sound it only comes up when I rev the car past 2000 rpm and I am driving as well. When I am not on motion and I rev past 2000 rpm I don't hear the sound.

Can anyone tell what the problem might be?

PS: I do maintenance regularly, those ba$tards changed my break pads and now I hear that annoying sound when I break cry cry its small I know but I am so paranoid I drive with windows down and no music now cry cry

Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by nissparts(m): 11:14am On Dec 04, 2013
Best guess, your catalyst has been removed and what you hear is the hollow exhaust sound.
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 04, 2013
nissparts: Best guess, your catalyst has been removed and what you hear is the hollow exhaust sound.

Word !!!
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:28pm On Dec 04, 2013
nissparts: Best guess, your catalyst has been removed and what you hear is the hollow exhaust sound.
Thanks
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by TCD: 9:28am On Dec 19, 2013
hi, please where you able to solve this problem? what did you do ?
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by aieromon(m): 11:24am On Dec 19, 2013
TCD: hi, please where you able to solve this problem? what did you do ?

https://www.nairaland.com/951734/explaining-catalysts-catalyst-codes
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by chukel(m): 4:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
@ OP, I have exactly d same problem u have with my 07 camry. But I have n codes. Initially, I was scared it was a gear issue, but no codes, no slipping, no hesitation, no harsh shifts. Its a rattling/crackling sound only wen accelerating to about 2500rpm. Mine is heard on d right side of the car only. Wen car is stationary, d sound isn't dia even if u rev d car. I tink its purely mechanical. D mechanics can't pinpoint wat it is. I really need it to stop. Try using a big scanner eg launch to scan d transmission to see if u will get any codes. Dat ur scanner cannot scan transmission sensor. Frm wat av read online, I hope its not d water pump packing up
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by nissparts(m): 5:13pm On Dec 19, 2013
Chukel, what you are hearing is either your timing chain or engine pinging.
Look up those 2 possibilities online
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by chukel(m): 11:38am On Dec 20, 2013
nissparts: Chukel, what you are hearing is either your timing chain or engine pinging.
Look up those 2 possibilities online
Bros, tnks. I will look it up. But is it not supposed to throw up some codes?
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by nissparts(m): 12:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
For pinging, no.
For timing chain, eventually, it will
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by chukel(m): 6:27pm On Dec 20, 2013
nissparts: For pinging, no.
For timing chain, eventually, it will
From what I read, dis pinging no be small case o. I hope say I never enter wahala. The problem is getting d right mechanic
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by nissparts(m): 8:17pm On Dec 20, 2013
If your vehicle does not require Premium unleaded fuel, you should not be experiencing pinging.
In such a case, the pinging may be solvable.
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by chukel(m): 11:40pm On Dec 20, 2013
nissparts: If your vehicle does not require Premium unleaded fuel, you should not be experiencing pinging.
In such a case, the pinging may be solvable.
hw do i kn if it requires premium unleaded fuel. if it doesnt, wat r d likely solutions pls
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by nissparts(m): 11:45pm On Dec 20, 2013
Is your 07 a V6?
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by chukel(m): 3:15am On Dec 21, 2013
nissparts: Is your 07 a V6?
Its a 4cyl
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by nissparts(m): 8:53am On Dec 21, 2013
4cyl do not require premium.
Could me a number of things- MAF, coils, plugs.......etc
Re: Toyota Camry Sound While Driving - Diagnosis Help by klikharry: 5:52am On Mar 30, 2017
Hi guys.... you must read user manual about this weird sound
http://iuehub.us/weird-sound-from-toyota-camry-while-engine-is-already-off/

(1) (Reply)

Is Visco 2000 Engine Oil Good For Es 330 Oil..? / A Month Old RX330 Stolen At Gun Point In Ekwulobia Anambra| How It Was Recovered / Toyota Vs. Honda Vs. Volkswagen Vs. Nissan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.