Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? (2229 Views)

How Do We Know That There Is A God / Can Allah Create A God More Powerful Or As Powerful As Himself? / What Make A God A True God, So What Is Jesus In This Respect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by hammedroyabat(m): 11:05am On Dec 04, 2013
I ve heard it , read it dat music in islam isnt allowed... Then i ask dis question, is singing a talent as most musicians claim to be blessed with ? Or what you train urself to do ?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by dragnet: 6:52am On Dec 05, 2013
being a liar, is it a God-given talent?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by hammedroyabat(m): 11:04am On Dec 05, 2013
dragnet: being a liar, is it a God-given talent?
am sure lying is a sin... Any link between d two ?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by Blaaze: 12:41pm On Dec 05, 2013
Just as u know dat having d ability to tell lies is not a God giving talent but satanic,so does having d ability to sing is not also a God giving talent but satanic.

1 Like

Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by tpia5: 1:57pm On Dec 05, 2013
^your response is satanic.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by tpia5: 1:58pm On Dec 05, 2013
hammed royabat: I ve heard it , read it dat music in islam isnt allowed

You should post your question on the questions about Islam thread.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by hammedroyabat(m): 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
tpia@:

You should post your question on the questions about Islam thread.
am asking of d islamic perspective of it... Any haadith ?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by hammedroyabat(m): 10:27pm On Dec 06, 2013
Blaaze: Just as u know dat having d ability to tell lies is not a God giving talent but satanic,so does having d ability to sing is not also a God giving talent but satanic.
any evidence ?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by kemiola89(f): 8:26am On Dec 07, 2013
Blaaze: Just as u know dat having d ability to tell lies is not a God giving talent but satanic,so does having d ability to sing is not also a God giving talent but satanic.
here we go again!
You should be more specific about the song you termed satanic, and yeah we know fuji genre is not allowed in Islam, so what would you say about Islamic nasheeds? Is that also a satanic givin talent?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by bee2me: 9:21am On Dec 08, 2013
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/5000 pls try to open this site,u would knw the rulings concerning musics.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by bee2me: 9:22am On Dec 08, 2013
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/5000 pls try to open this site,u would knw the rulings concerning musics.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by tpia5: 3:25am On Dec 09, 2013
Why dont you post the write ups here.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by AlBaqir(m): 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
hammed royabat: I ve heard it , read it dat music in islam isnt allowed... Then i ask dis question, is singing a talent as most musicians claim to be blessed with ? Or what you train urself to do ?

In His Name The Most High

All ulama of both Sunni and Shi'a unanimously forbid music. But what type of music?
First we need to understand what Music is? Then we should realize the reason why Islam forbid certain types of music (not all music are forbidden in Islam). Lastly gift/talent from God? How does it fit?

1. What is Music? In a simple term, its ANY regular pleasant sound. While Noise, opposite of music, is an irregular unpleasant sound. Not necessarily accompanied by Musical instrument.

Adhan (call to prayer), recitation of Qur'an, Qassydah, Nawha etc in a very beautiful voice and pleasant regular sound can be refer as 'Music' while pop, jazz, rap etc are also 'music' in a broad sense.

2. Why does Islam forbid certain Music?
Example, Sura Luqman vs 6:
"And of mankind is he who purchases LAHW ADIZ to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire)."

ADIZ: talk, anecdote, story, incidence etc
LAHW: amusing, idle, something of no meaning but to waste time etc.

Any Music is forbidden based on the following:
1. Lyrics/Message: allowable music should have a reasonable lyrics and vice versa.

2. Melody: the moment the effect of the sound or tune begin to alter the natural sense of man to the fact that you want to move, shake etc, then it becomes haram.
Note: even a music with good lyric e.g recitation of the Qur'an accompanied with sound effects is haram. And sometimes, the melody can be good but with bad lyrics. That makes it haram.

3. Musical instrument: Generally there are some permissible and some forbidding to be used.

4. Musician: There's usually this effect a musician do have on their audience to the fact of taking them as a role model consciously or unconsciously. Morally and spiritually, most musician are worst and the effect is being devastating in the society.

NB: this is in accordance with the teaching of Ayatullah Ali sistani.

Can 'Music or singing' be gifted by God?
Absolutely NO but a good voice can be gifted. How and where you use it can make it haram or halal.

Hassan Ibn thabit was a good companion of the holy prophet (saws) whom Allah endowed with a pleasant voice. He has composed many ode /poem for the prophet and the believers especially during the time of war to lighten up their spirit; and Allah's messenger often time appreciate his effort and prayed for him thus: "may Allah strengthen you with Jubril".

I think Yusuf Islam (cat steven) is a very good example of today to be learnt from.

Allah knows best.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 09, 2013
Jazakumullahu khairan
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by hammedroyabat(m): 3:22pm On Dec 15, 2013
@ al baqir...jazakalahu khaeran... Bt d prophet was welcomed in drums @ his arrival in medina
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by AlBaqir(m): 7:00pm On Dec 15, 2013
hammed royabat: @ al baqir...jazakalahu khaeran... Bt d prophet was welcomed in drums @ his arrival in medina

Yes but note: that was the first year of Hijrah and courtesy demand he (saws) didn't reject them straight away. Look at the case of alcohol, gradually it was forbidden.
If you read the last verse of sura Jumu'a which later revealed in medina, Allah condemned those who left the prophet standing while delivering khutbah in the mosque; and they pursuit amusement (singing, dancing, trading) on a friday.

In short, any art of music that can divert mind from remembrance of Allah is forbidden as already explain from sura Luqman.

Then what kind of musical instrument did people of Madina used to welcome the prophet? We can only speculate. Over here, we even claim it was 'Bandiri' thereby you see some sect allowing it galore in their midst.
Classification of musical instruments is another area our mujtahid have tried to explore to know which is Haram and Halal.

1 Like

Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by hammedroyabat(m): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
@ bro al baqir.... I write music nd produce beats nd am trying to quit which has not bin easy. Any reward for 'islamic' songs ?
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by AlBaqir(m): 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2014
hammedroyabat: @ bro al baqir.... I write music nd produce beats nd am trying to quit which has not bin easy. Any reward for 'islamic' songs?

First, note there is nothing like "Islamic songs". Astagfirullah! All the so-called "Islamic songs" here and there are even worse than the conventional Fuji and Juju. Reciting Qur'an and mentioning the names of Allah in a Music accompany with sophisticated beats and satanic dances; makes it worse.

I believe I have defined "music" and explained the opinion of music scholars on it. Types of music, why certain types are classified Haram and why certain types allowed! All these have been explained. Endeavor to read again and digest.

However, on the premise that certain category of music are allowed, I think there is a ray of hope in terms of your career as a writer.

All you need to do is to avoid (all) what make music become Haram.

As per "production of beats", the rule of our Mujtahids is any beat that makes you move from your normal state and get you 'intoxicated' (as in dancing) is forbidden. There are however some musical instruments that are allowed depending on how and where they are used.

Normally, Music doesn't really have to be accompanied by beats. It is so unfortunate that people follow the beats not the message.

If you so wish, I can link you with various books to read on Music.

Allah knows best.
Re: Being A Singer, Is It A God Given Talent ? by dragnet: 8:35am On Jul 08, 2014
hammedroyabat: @ al baqir...jazakalahu khaeran... Bt d prophet was welcomed in drums @ his arrival in medina
this report has been faulted.

(1) (Reply)

How I Nearly Became A Christian Yesterday / Seeking Closeness To Our Lord / A sincere Apology to all Nairaland Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.