Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? (11556 Views)

Guy In Lekki Lagos Designed This Car... (pictures) / what will you do if you got This Car As A Gift ? / Who Remember This Car? Who Can Guess Nickname? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by ofiladee(m): 2:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
I saw a one at Onitsha some days back, nice car... But not for everyday use. The V12 engine alone na die. Then talk about the nonsense mechanics and car electricians we have in this country. And where will you get the parts for this baby? I took time to google the car, and like I started is a very lovely car, but not for a typical Nigerian, unless a big shot politician.

1 Like

Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
ofiladee: The V12 engine alone na die.

It's a W12 engine, bro.
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by dubezj: 3:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
The phaeton is VW's attempt at the top segment of automobile perfection. It is hand built at a dedicated plant in Dresden. yes, it does share some engines with Audi A6, A8, and VW Tuareg, all within the VAG group.

I have owned that vehicle. A pleasant interior to be in and a ride quality at par with the best in its class. However, even here (Germany), it is still an exot, an expensive exot.

The W12 is basically 2 3litre V6 engines paired together, a magnificient powerplant, pin quiet and refined operation, but my advise to you is, walk away.

It will be a money pit in nigeria and you will end up abandoning it in frustration because nigerian auto mechanics will misdiagnose its basic ailments and ruin both the car and yourself financially.

While i owned the 4.2 litre V8 copy, i had to take it to phaeton specific service stations. They are not serviced by regular VW service centres because they are not trained or equiped to maintain these vehicles.

1 Like

Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by sylve11: 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
Exponental: A car displayed since July 09 2012.
1yr 5months ago...... Guy, rats will definitely have a branch office in dat car already.

lol grin cool
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2013
dubezj: The W12 is basically 2 3litre V6 engines paired together, a magnificient powerplant.

The W12 is basically two Volkswagen 2.8 VR6 engines joined at the crank, each VR6 with slightly increased capacity. The VR6 engines were chosen, due to their compact dimensions. Audi's 90-degree V6 engines would be way too wide to fit between the frame rails of the Audi A8 or Volkswagen Phaeton.

The VR6 engines are very compact at only 15 degrees each, making the 6.0 W12 engine dimensionally smaller than the 4.2 V8..
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by GentleFrank(m): 4:27pm On Dec 15, 2013
Okay !
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by eaglechild: 7:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
Siena: The seller is also a blatant liar, or terribly ignorant. He states the car has a top speed of 360 km/h (224 mph). The Volkswagen Phaeton has a limited top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).
I think some specs have the ability to turn off the electronic speed limit or do not come with it and thus push the top speed close to 200 mph.
The American specs usually are speed limited though.
So it depends on the spec the seller has, he maybe right.
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 15, 2013
eaglechild:
I think some specs have the ability to turn off the electronic speed limit or do not come with it and thus push the top speed close to 220 mph.
The American specs usually are speed limited though.
So it depends on the spec the seller has, he maybe right.

I know the speed limiter can be mapped out on some cars. This ability is not possible for the user to carry out. It has to be done via the OBD port with the appropriate software. The seller is going by the calibration on the speedo dial.

He's lying.
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by InvertedHammer: 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2013
/
My candid advice is....

Before you buy any car you intend to use in Nigeria, you must consider what to do with the car
when it breaks down.

Perhaps, you need to take a walk to mechanic workshops around town to see how many of the so-called
High-End vehicles that litter the places. A minor thing like a sensor malfunction would open the door
for a Nigeria mechanic to stick their hand under your hood and kill what remains of your car.

I have a friend whose Cadillac Escalade has been in a mechanic workshop around Central District, Abuja for the past 1 year.
It has been trial and error. And this mechanic is supposed to be one of the best in town because he packaged himself
well with a CV that he worked for big auto-dealers in USA. Go figure!

Don't buy some headache because it looks aesthetically appealing.

\

1 Like

Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by cleric(m): 2:46pm On Jan 06, 2014
I strongly advise you to go buy a Honda accord that will give u a bit of quality interior with good feeling as you ride. Stay away my bruv.
Re: 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? by sultaan(m): 4:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Never follow the crowd satisfy yourself.

If a Ferrari makes you happy and you have the money buy it. Why limit your desire to the capabilities of a high school mechanic

(1) (2) (Reply)

Armor Bulletproof Suv's For Nigeria Army General's @ Combat. See Pics / What Are The Issues With Golf 4 / I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.