Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division (1253 Views)

Obama Appoints Bukola Love-Oriola On US Human Trafficking Council - Pictured / Obama Appoints Adewale Adeyemo As Deputy National Security Adviser / Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by plaindealer: 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will nominate a former NAACP Legal Defense Fund official to take over the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, the White House announced Thursday.

Debo Adegbile, who now serves as senior counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee, has held several positions at the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, ranging from 2001 to earlier this year. He went before the Supreme Court back in February to defend Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, a key provision that the court ultimately decided to strike down.

If confirmed, Adegbile would lead the division as it figures out how to protect voting rights without Section 4, which required certain parts of the country with a history of racial discrimination to have changes to their voting laws pre-cleared either by DOJ or in federal court. Former Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Thomas Perez, who now heads the Labor Department, said earlier this year that pre-clearance “regrettably, continues to be very necessary.”

But the Civil Rights Division’s work also extends far beyond voting rights, enforcing federal statutes that prohibit all different kinds of discrimination. Under Perez, the division put a particular emphasis on fair-lending cases and pattern-and-practice investigations of major police departments. Perez also oversaw implementation of a law banning hate crimes against gays and lesbians.
[b]
Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, praised Obama’s selection of Adegbile.

“Debo Adegbile is an excellent choice to lead the Civil Rights Division at the Department of Justice,” he said in a statement. “He will bring a wealth of experience and good judgment to this important office. Many of us on the Senate Judiciary Committee met Debo in 2006 when he testified before the Committee as an expert on voting rights. Debo has earned a reputation for working to bring members from both sides of the aisle together.”
Leahy said he “could think of no one more qualified or experienced than Debo” when he went about considering voting rights legislation earlier this year. “He is careful, he listens, and he understands the importance of building consensus,” Leahy said.
“Our country needs someone like Debo with significant experience in voting rights to protect the deeply held American value that each person has the right to a voice in our democracy,” said Sherrilyn Ifill, president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. “Debo has worked tirelessly to ensure that our nation lives up to its promise of equality for all Americans.”
Prior to joining the NAACP, Adegbile was an associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison from 1994 to 2001.
He received a B.A. from Connecticut College and a J.D. from New York University School of Law. Obama[/b]

http://africansuntimes.com/2013/11/president-obama-appoints-nigerian-american-to-top-civil-rights-position-at-the-department-of-justice/
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by geeez: 6:21pm On Dec 04, 2013
Congratulations Mr. Adegbile

Why am I not surprised?

Just while we are still celebrating Adeshina
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by plaindealer: 6:28pm On Dec 04, 2013
geeez: Congratulations Mr. Adegbile

Why am I not surprised?

Just while we are still celebrating Adeshina

Just after we celebrated Bunmi Awoniyi, Judge at Superior Court of California.
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by egift(m): 6:31pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by shidof(m): 8:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
more power to ur elbow, Omo yoruba ni mi o. lol!
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nigerians making us proud cheesy

Despite all attempt to tag us bad we are doing great i love my country wink

God bless nigeria cheesy
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Desola(f): 9:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
Africa must stop this brain drain! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
Another Omo OODUA making his fatherland & Nigeria proud again. !

From Basil Fadipe To You again. !
Of course, the hardworks will NEVER BE IN VAIN.!....Just Keep On Shaming And Givin' 'Em Haterz HEADACHES.
..Keep Repin' IT Homie. !
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
Na wa ooo. This is something that can never happen in Nigeria.
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by PaulJohn1: 10:45pm On Dec 04, 2013
They didn't even say anything about his home country Nigeria, not to mention his state. Lol

Bet they'll trace him down to his family and state it if it was crime related.

Evil people.

1 Like

Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 04, 2013
Paul John: They didn't even say anything about his home country Nigeria, not to mention his state. Lol

Bet they'll trace him down to his family and state it if it was crime related.

Evil people.

Unfortunately that is the way it is. Congrats to him anyway.
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Olugbenger(m): 11:02pm On Dec 04, 2013
Aigbofa:

Unfortunately that is the way it is. Congrats to him anyway.

yeah, i agree with you.

Congrats to him.
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Tolexander: 11:14pm On Dec 04, 2013
Congratulation!

This is the kind of news i will like to be hearing about nigerians abroad.

Expecting sincere 9gerian to come and tell me GEJ presented him to the world!
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
Desola: Africa must stop this brain drain! embarassed

As long as Nigeria continues to nose-dive into the bottomless pit and Africa remains the dark continent - the brain-drain would continue.

Congrats to the guy!

Keep the flag flying - you know which one not the weed-cocaine-weed one. grin cool
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by atlwireles: 11:21pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by atlwireles: 11:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
Tolexander: Congratulation!

Has this guy ever touched Nigerian soil.

[quote author=RichyBlacK]
Re: Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division by Ayekotoo(m): 11:33pm On Dec 04, 2013
Tolexander: Congratulation!

lmao. I laugh so tey enter gutter.

(1) (Reply)

Photos From Nelson Mandela's Funeral / 6 Signs That Gej's Transformation Agenda Is Working. / Kwara State Deputy Gov., Gaya Mark Is Dead And Pdp Using Regilion As Trump Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.