Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,908 members, 7,799,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. (13295 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by will007: 10:42am On Dec 05, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen of Nairaland,it is with great pleasure I welcome you all to another exciting battle of words and wits of the preliminary rounds which will feature representatives from these two great citadel of learning.

[size=28pt]FUTMINNA(supporting.) VS IMSU(opposing.)[/size]

[size=18pt]Topic: Parents should be held responsible for their school- going children's discipline problems.[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1413622_futminna_jpg1a8f91f55738ec1a061a0befd0a17ccd

CHIEF COORDINATOR
Olawalebabs
Fynestboi
Richiez

COORDINATORS
(mr and miss)
BOAY
ALICIA KEYS
HONEYDEAR
ABU MIKEY
KESSY
MISCALLENOUS
ONWONDI
AGROVICK
WILL007

Cordinators Incharge:
Will007 and Alicia Keys

Judges:
Greedie
Mathew briggs

Date:
Friday, 6th December, 2013.

Time:
1pm-4pm No African time angry angry grin grin

Venue: Nairaland Education Section

For more fixtures, click here

Thread locked to be declared open 1:00pm on debate day.
For extensive reading on history, planning, etc, and further discussion, pls click here:

Nairaland interschool debate planing thread
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Fynestboi: 11:17am On Dec 05, 2013
JUDGING CRITERIA (5 marks each)
1. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Fynestboi: 11:17am On Dec 05, 2013
RULES

1.) Two contestants representing their school in this Interschool Debate Elimination stage will have to confirm their availability for the debate a day before the debate proper. Failure to do so will result in the defaulter been disqualify and the opposing or supporting side that duely declare availabily will automatically be declare as the winner.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is GREEN for the supporting side and BLUE for the opposing side. Please note that you are to use the designated colour all through the debate period.

3.) The essay should be min. 750 max. 1000 words .

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays, responses and conclusion must be submitted within the stipulated time frame stated in the time schedule as posted by the coordinator
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Fynestboi: 11:18am On Dec 05, 2013
PROCEDURES

12:55 -- Debaters and judges take seats,
register presence

1:00 -- Coordinators boay and agrovick
declare the debate open

1:00 - 1:20 -- Debaters post their
arguements within 15 minutes, its
advisable debaters use less than 750
words to make it easier for the judges to
read, there is no harm in having more
than 850 words but the arguements must
not exceed 1000 words

1:20 – 2:20pm - A debater takes on his
opponent, attempts to puncture his
opponent’s points. This a debater does by
quoting, highlighting the area to puncture
and countering it i.e regular way to reply
on Nairaland. While this is going on the
judges can take their time to go through
the write ups by the debaters. And also
Debaters respond to punctured areas in
his earlier arguments. He may buttress
further. At this time frame.

2:20 – 2:40pm – Judges post questions to
debaters either based on what the
debater has posted or just reasonable
question within the theme. Judges should
be specific as to who they are posting the
questions to. E.g “Mr ...., could you
expatiate what you meant by so so so?
or ...., pls give examples of your claim that
xxxx”. This is not compulsory. A judge
that doesn’t have question to post to the
debaters need not do so.

2:40 – 3:00pm – Debaters respond to
questions raised by judges

3:00 – 03:20pm – 2 Questions will be
entertained from the audience i.e viewers.
This will be based on ‘fastest hand’. The
coordinators will announce ‘audience, you
may now ask your questions’. After the 2
questions have been posted, any other
viewer-post will be hidden.

NOTE: -The judges and audience can
throw their questions without quotations
but the contestants should answer
with quotations and separated for each
questions.

3:20 – 3:30 – Debaters respond to
audience questions and concludes their
arguments. Debaters who were not asked
any questions can still conclude his/her
arguments.

3:30 – 3:40 – Judges compile the scores
and mail to coordinators:
vdhammey@gmail.com

3:40 – 4: 00pm Coordinators announce
results. Thread thrown open for regular
Nairaland discussion.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Fynestboi: 11:18am On Dec 05, 2013
Please while the debate is going, only the debaters, judges, coordinators, Supermods(if need be) can post. It is only at the audience question window that a viewer can post on this thread. Pls let's comply, default attracts 3 hours ban(duration of the debate).

You can however comment simultaneously at thePlanning thread

Thank you.

Debate starts by 1:00pm on FRIDAY.

Come and witness the mother of all e-debates on the biggest section of the biggest online forum in Africa.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by will007: 12:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
The representatives of FUTMINNA are:-
REXSUL as the chief speaker
And LEEBLISS33 as second speaker
While,the representatives of IMSU are :-
COWLEG as the chief speaker
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by will007: 12:46pm On Dec 06, 2013
IMSU Appraisal

Imo State University Owerri (Excellence in service) popularly known as
IMSU is an academic institution of repute, founded in 1980 by His
Excellency Chief Sam Mbakwe (former governor of Imo State).
IMSU is widely known as a great citadel of learning where students are
modeled into outstanding scholars.
IMSU is not only well equipped for academic rigor, also it boost
itself of world class lecturers who knew their onions in the academic
world.
IMSU located previously at Etiti okigwe and now temporary located at
Lake Nwaebere Owerri, it is possessed with stunning and lush scenery
that encourages sound learning.
IMSU located at the center of a state capital attracts heavy
government intervention for quality learning sustenance.
IMSU is presently managed by one of Nigeria's outstanding professor of
estate management, who is the former immediate ASUU national
president.
IMSU motto Excellence in service really portrays the quality of
graduates they churn out yearly. Graduates who are excellence driven.
IMSU has one of the best trained academic professionals one can find
in Nigeria as a whole, lecturers who know their mettle.
I am proudly an Imo Star, as i glow with radiant bright lights as a
STAR; I maintain IMSU is the best place where geniuses are made.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 12:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
FUTMINNA'S APPRAISAL
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 12:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
The debate is about to start, minutes from now. This is the stage where we sit back and watch debate icons display their talents. Remember; it is IMSU vs FUTMINNA
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
JUDGES AND DEBATERS please register your presence in the planning thread...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:03pm On Dec 06, 2013
[size=24pt]THE DEBATE IS HEREBY DECLARED OPEN!!![/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2013
Debaters can now post their arguments...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
IMSU goes first, then FUTMINNA.....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 06, 2013
Contestant: Cowleg
School: Imo State University Owerri (Motto: Excellence in Service)
Topic: Parents should be held responsible for their school-going children discipline problem.

Good day Chief Coordinators, Coordinators, Panel of Judges, Co-debaters and Distinguished Audience. I remain my humble self, Cowleg [Chief speaker representing IMSU] and I'm indeed privileged to oppose the motion that: Parents should be held responsible for their school-going children discipline problem.

Firstly what is parenting? According to Wikipedia, parenting is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood (1). Parental responsibilities include provision of food, clothing and home for their children. It is the role of a parent to protect, maintain and discipline their children, choose and provide for child’s education, agree to child’s medical treatment and look after child’s property(2).

Psychological definition of indiscipline in children is a state in which a particular child violates psychological norm and act in a behavior against the moral expectation of a normal individual (3). Some of these discipline problems include verbal interruption, off task behavior, disruptive physical movement, disrespect, verbal assault, interfering when teaching act, disobedience.

However, I am not neglecting issues such as the psychological impact our parents may have on us, but I strongly oppose the motion that parents should be held responsible for their school-going children discipline problems. Once a child reaches a certain age their parents cannot control everything they do. Teenagers and adolescents are free thinking and independent, parents cannot and should not be held responsible for what a child does. Every individual is responsible for their actions, no parent teaches any wrong lesson to their children. For instance if we take an example of any household were there are number of children, we would realize that despite of same treatment given by their parents, every child behaves in a different manner. Parents would always try to inculcate the best habits and practices, however it a lot depends upon children how they take it. The child can choose to follow others to be bad or good however they want.

Our parents engendered us, they could have abandoned us, yet many of our parents did not, societies economic and social policies are such that parents live from hand to mouth existence, so they have little time or energy to spend with their children to actually teach them anything. Parents work hard to train us in school. The schools should be compelled to teach and instill moral values in children. This is why it is imperative for schools to tune up there curriculum to include moral instruction.

My opponents may think that parental punishment is the key to solving discipline problem, it may be successful in the short term to modify or curtail child’s behavior but the long term sequalae is that the child’s good behavior is predicated not on an understanding of the consequence of behavior or interest. In the long run, as this fear of punishment fades away the child can be worse off. Parent’s corporal punishment to some extent will be unjust, barbaric and immoral (4). Legal basis of punishment is that a sane individual is fully responsible for his or her actions. Most times when parents instill discipline, it makes the children to think of more rebellious things to do actually talking from experience.

Let’s say my parents are dead then I go about being indiscipline because I am fed up. How is my dad going to be responsible for my actions? You see many successful individuals in our society, who were not raised in a good environment, let’s take a clue, Steve Jobs founder of Apple incorporation was rejected by his mom (5), yet we celebrated him as one of the most successful individuals in his life time because he made the decision to be the person he want to be.

Children learn from what they see and hear, most prefer learning from peers than parents. Some children are genetically a societal mishap. Temperament is important as well; some kids are very strong willed and have to learn themselves the hard way. I will rather blame the society including movies and media. Parent’s job is made more difficult when social pressures encourage disrespectful uncooperative behavior. When kids are surrounded by violent rap music, TV shows and video games that glorifies uncooperative behavior, it is very hard to prevent children from coming into contact with these bad influences because their parents are not with them in every 24 hours.

In conclusion, parents have the responsibility and rights to instill moral compass in their children, any action their child does is unrelated to them, Christmas day Nigerian kid bomber had the best education, moral and financial support from his parents but his disastrous action cannot be blamed on his parents. When society fails to address and neglect this cankerworm, what do you expect but a society filled with rowdiness and disorderliness among their teenage population. Society has a role to play to promote values.
THANK YOU!!!

REFERENCES
1. Definition of Parenting: www.wikipaedia.com/parenting
2. Parental responsibilities: https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-responsibilities
3. Nwosu, D.C (2003). Indiscipline in children; Textbook on human psychology. Philips press. Owerri: Pg. 22
4. Effects of excessive parental discipline: http://www.theglobalistreport.com/experts-blame-parents-who-discipline-children/
5. Autobiography of Steve Jobs: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/steve-jobs-an-unwanted-child

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Rexsul: 1:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
the TOPIC: PARENTS SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR SCHOOL-GOING CHILDREN DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS

My esteemed panel of Judges, coordinators, fellow debaters, Distinguish Ladies and Gentlemen. I am Rexsul, representing Federal University of Technology Minna, and I'm here to support the motion that: PARENT SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THERE SCHOOL GOING-CHILDREN DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS.
Discipline according to freedictionary.com, is the training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behaviour, especially training that produce moral or mental improvement.
Several studies in developmental psychology have found that children are, essentially, a blank slate. We all know the fact that several traits are inborn or inhereted but most children learn right and wrong through observation of others. Parents are the predominate role models in a child's life even if they are of schooling age. Parents are the one who are supposedly be the closest person to the children. Parents should become the child's idols, best friends and motivators who can implant moral principles in children thus producing a first class society with successful adolescence.
As a result of busy lifestyles of most parents, they have failed to spend their time with their children. Thus, these children opt to spend most of there time with peers rather than their families due to lack of parental love and if they are exposed to a wrong group of friends, they will be influence by the unhealthy activities. Paradoxically material goods and money are supplied as a substitute for love and concern.
Moreover children take in parent's actions and words and refer to them in their lifes as guides to living because they look up to them. It is what they are familiar with, so even if it's right or wrong in the eyes of others they would beleive it's normal. For example, when a child grow up seeing his parents fight countless times to resolve problems, he is most likely to resort to the same type of life style. Fighting with his peers or in school would'nt be a difficult thing for him.
What would you expect from a child that has parent who smoke or drink in his presence? Definately he is tend to think that drinking or smoking is something that could possibly solve their problems, or at least make them feel better.
Futhermore, most parents think that immediate school text books are responsible to educate their children to be an all round entity, but in fact they can not teach the children about moral and social values. Other than love, the form of discipline and conveying ethics should always be thought by the parents. Sadly, parents these days prefer not to discipline their children and unintentionally, spoiling them and think that their child will become better as they grow older and more mature. It is alleged that child behaviour can be simply corrected as long as it is done from an early age.
The fact that most juvenile delinquents receive less emotional attention (love and care) can not be denied. This has made most parent lose the control over the negative influences assualting their children, gangs, drug and alcohol abuse, premarital sex, and the risk of getting sexually transmitted disease.

Parents do not evalute the form and quantity of media permitted at home without knowing that their kids have a propensity to absorb the messages that bombard them because it is a proven fact that kids love to watch an excessive amount of unbeneficial programs on television and eventually exposing themselves to the negative influence in such programs.
My opponent may argue that Teachers should be held responsible for the school going children discipline but this is a blind argument. This is so because my opponent may have failed to realise that the foundation of anything is the key. How strong the foundation of a buildind is built determines the strength of that building. In the same light, the foundation given to a child goes a long way in affecting his/her moral and ethical standards. The most part of a childs life is spent with the parent not in the school and a child is naturally more aquainted with the parent than with the teacher, therefore, learn more from the parent than the teacher.
He may well argue that it is the function of the teacher to teach the child starnderds of right and wrong but he has forgotten that the teacher only teaches the theory aspect of right and wrong while parent teaches the practical aspect of it. Haven realise this, we should'nt forget that human beings tends to learn faster through practicals rather than theory.
The teacher only reads from books to the children what, how and when they should do things but the child learns faster from the way the parents behave; how they do a thing, the way and manner things are been done.
My opponent also may have forgotten that teaching a child in school is not just enough to breed a sound moral world but the parent completes the lesson been taught to the child in school by checking the child's work at school, revising with the child and being an example to what he's been taught in school.
But most parent forget or neglect this aspect of there responsibilities due to there focus on there careers or businesses or out of share laziness. Instead, they beleive training a healthy child lies in pampering. Hence, providing them with toys, video games, outting, going to the cinemas and forgetting this is not suppose to be the dorminant routine of a childs activities.
I'm certain that my co-debater is well aware and believe firmly in the wise saying which say behind a successful child lies a succesful mother. He will also bear me witness that his potential today is a function of his parent calculated efforts but amazes me why he argues with me on this facts. But i will draw a conclussion that he is intelligent and hence arguing with me on the basis of knowledge i.e want to learn more about this topic. I am as well certain that the panel of judges, coordinators and most intelligent and iconic spectators will also ascertain that parents should be held responsible for their school-going children discipline problems. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:42pm On Dec 06, 2013
2nd speakers please post your arguments!!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 06, 2013
G00d day moderators,c0-ordinat0rs,impartial panel 0f judges,and all prot0c0ls 0bserved. My name is leebliss13[second speaker] and am here t0 supp0rt the m0ti0n which says "parents should be held resp0nsible f0r their sch00l-g0ing children's discipline problems "
¤First,i'll like to define discipline.Its the practice 0f training people to 0bey rules and orders and punishing them if they d0n't.
Discipline is used by parents to teach their children about guidelines and principles.Children need to be taught right fr0m wrong tobe maintained safe.Child discipline can inv0lve rewards and punishments t0 teach self-c0ntr0l,increase desirable and decrease undesirable behavi0urs in children. Parents are supposed to be the first teachers of their children who are responsible for teaching them the proper behavi0urs before they g0 t0 sch00l and learn more from their teachers and peers.The basic valves of children are learned and developed at home with parents as their first teachers,so when kids misbehave,parents are more likely to be blame. Child discipline can inv0lve rewards and punishments t0 teach self-c0ntr0l,increase desirable and decrease undesirable behavi0urs in children. Parents are supposed to be the first teachers of their children who are responsible for teaching them the proper behavi0urs before they g0 t0 sch00l and learn more from their teachers and peers. The basic valves of children are learned and developed at home with parents as their first teachers,so when kids misbehave,parents are more likely to be blame. The firest experience children have with behaving well 0r n0t starts when they are very y0ung. In theory,the parents teach their children what is acceptable and what's n0t. A sch00l exists t0 teach subjects,n0t behavi0ural etiquette,of which discipline is part.
Unf0rtunately, 99% of children who lack discipline in school have been taught by their parents that it is fine t0 d0 what they want. There is always one child who,no matter what the parents do,will behave badly. School teachers are there to teach english,maths,biology or whatever subjects they have studied. They are not employed t0 "train" pe0ple's children and show them what is right and wrong. If a teacher had to do the parents job,no child w0uld ever learn t0 write its 0wn name 0r add 2+ 2 . perharps,if a child lacks discipline and therefore fundamental of g00d behavi0urs,the parents sh0uld be f0rced t0 attend behavi0ur sch00l t0 learn ab0ut manners.
Its their resp0nsibility-their j0b,t0 teach their children these things as t0 av0id disciplinary issues.When disciplinary problems arise,it's c0nsidered t0 be a failure 0n behalf 0f parents t0 rectify the situati0n thr0ught additi0nal teaching. Parents being c0nsidered resp0nsible d0esn't prevent children fr0m devel0ping their 0wn sense 0f resp0nsibility.Rather,it's a rec0gniti0n that this is a gradual pr0cess 0ver which a parent has auth0rity and with that auth0rity-resp0nsibility. Ref.www.createdebate.com/debate/show/TH... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_discipline www.bubblews.com/news/1356781-shoul... www.debate.org>Home>Debates idebate.org/node/17816
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:48pm On Dec 06, 2013
IMSU's 2nd speaker please post your argument!!!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Fynestboi: 1:49pm On Dec 06, 2013
Aliciakeys: IMSU's 2nd speaker please post your argument!!!!
imsu 2nd speaker absent let the rebuttal begin.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
Debaters can now begin to puncture and take on their opponents arguments. You also need to respond adequately...
You have less than an hour to do this
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 1:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
LET THE REBUTTAL BEGIN... Debaters are now free to puncture their opponents arguments
Judges please stand by so as to question the debaters in due time...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
[quote=Rexsul][/quote] Please explain to me most parents have 2 or more children, why would parents be blamed when one of their kid becomes indiscipline and wayward?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by will007: 2:05pm On Dec 06, 2013
Debaters please endeavor to give answer to the questions /rebuttals that is directed to you once they appear
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
[quote author=cowleg][/quote] there is always 0ne child wh0,n0 matter what the parents d0,will behave badly.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 2:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
Please answer immediately and adequately to your punctured arguments to avoid losing marks.. Thanks..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Aliciakeys(f): 2:09pm On Dec 06, 2013
For ease, highlight the chosen point you want to puncture then ask your question, or better still, puncture directly...
NO TIME TO WASTE
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 06, 2013
[quote=Rexsul]As a result of busy lifestyles of most parents, they have failed to spend their time with their children[/quote]

According to your quote, capitalism has really endangered most parents that they have to work extra hard, so many of them had to do as much as 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet, if they don't work so hard, how do you expect them to perform their parental obligation? Are you now telling me that parents should vacate their economic niche, so that they can raise a well behaved children?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:winner::Futminna. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 06, 2013
Leebliss13: there is always 0ne child wh0,n0 matter what the parents d0,will behave badly.
so what is your argument, how is the parents responsible for such actions? Don't you think every individual is wired psychological to behave how they choose? If one child from a family of 4 can exhibit negative characters, then he should be held responsible for his actions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Free Online Classes For Secondary School Students. All Subjects / UNIPORT 2016/2017 Merit Admission List Is Out! / Uniben Remita RRR Code Generation/payment – How It Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.