Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR (2181 Views)

Nigerian States By Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) - 2015 / States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / South West Rated High In Internally Generated Revenue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
A large part of Lagos revenue is from workers tax.
The Lagos, Rivers, and Delta state governments led the remaining states in internally generated revenue, IGR, in the last four years.
Though the figures for the outgoing 2013 are yet to be released, available data obtained by PREMIUM TIMES from the Joint Tax Board, JTB, revealed that the Babatunde Fashola government in Lagos State raked in about N185.9 billion into its coffers in 2010; N202.76 billion in 2011, and N219.2 billion in 2012.
Rivers State, which trailed a distant second, realised about N49.59 billion in 2010; N57.19 billion in 2011 and N66.28 billion in 2012, while Delta State, which came third raised N26.09 billion, N34.75 billion and N45.57 billion during the corresponding years.
However, Yobe, Borno and Zamfara States were the worse off in their IGR efforts. Two of the states, Yobe and Borno, have suffered from insurgent attacks killing thousands of people, as the federal government in May declared a state of emergency in the two states.
Yobe recorded dwindling fortunes from N5.96 billion in 2010 to N2.39 billion in 2011, and only N1.79 billion in 2012.
Similarly, Borno State, which realised only N2.109 billion in 2010, managed to record marginal improvement to N2.282 billion in 2011, and N2.45 billion in 2012.
Further details on the figures showed that Lagos State recorded the highest revenue haul of N172.44 billion in 2012 from workers through the Pay-As-You-Earn, PAYE, system, N4.36 billion came from road taxes; N1.89 billion from direct assessment of companies doing business in the state, while N40.513 billion was realised from other revenue sources.
In 2011, about N120.25 billion was realised from PAYE in Lagos; N7.97 billion from direct assessment, and N74.54 billion from other sources, while N104.681 billion came from PAYE in 2010; N7.51 billion from direct sources, and N73.704 billion from other sources.
Rivers State earned N55.1 billion through PAYE in 2012; N485.9 million through road taxes; N22.075 million through direct tax assessment and N10.668 million through other revenue sources during the year.
In 2011, Rivers State made N47.74 billion through PAYE; N5.201 billion in direct assessment, and N4.24 billion from other sources, N43.27 billion came from PAYE in 2010; N1.645 billion in direct assessment, and N4.673 billion from other revenue sources during the year.
For Delta State, PAYE accounted for over N42.565 billion in 2012; N244.195million from road taxes; N123.4million from direct assessment, while N2.635billion came from other sources during the year.
The revenue realised in 2011 in Delta State through PAYE was N33.193 billion, with N145.162 million coming road taxes; N102.54 million from direct assessment and N1.309 billion from other sources. No details were available about the performance of the state in 2010, though a total revenue of over N26.087 billion was recorded during the year.
The summary of some of the other states’ performances showed that Edo State generated N10.652billion in 2010; N14.76billion in 2011 and N18.88billion in 2012, while Akwa Ibom generated N10.134billion in 2010; N11.679billion in 2011 and N13.517billion in 2012.

http://premiumtimesng.com/
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
hold for more
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by Omexonomy: 8:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
What can we see in lagos and river state ? Media hype and using the money to construct road and brigdes and forcing people to pay expensive toll.
School are without chairs and any principal or headmaster that complain will be fired.
LASU school fees is the most expensive govt university in nigeria.
Somebody should convince me that those mentaly derange people ruling lagos and rivers state can do better than MUSIWA AND SOME MODs ON NAIRALAND..

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by plaindealer: 8:30pm On Dec 05, 2013
Omexonomy: What can we see in lagos and river state ? Media hype and using the money to construct road and brigdes and forcing people to pay expensive toll.
School are without chairs and any principal or headmaster that complain will be fired.
Somebody should convince me that those mentaly derange people ruling lagos and rivers state can do better than MUSIWA AND SOME MODs ON NAIRALAND..

Typycal and predictable...
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 9:39pm On Dec 05, 2013
Is very good to finally see some data on IGR. Some of noise makers here need to get a life, before they make up numbers about IGR from hell.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by ba7man(m): 9:49pm On Dec 05, 2013
Omexonomy: What can we see in lagos and river state ? Media hype and using the money to construct road and brigdes and forcing people to pay expensive toll.
You just want Lagos to look and function like Aba or Awka by force sha.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by bloggernaija: 11:03pm On Dec 05, 2013

What an you see in Lagos and rivers state?

I will tell you,

THE ONLY VIABLE STATES WITHOUT OIL ,THAT IS.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by solomon111(m): 11:17pm On Dec 05, 2013
Delta state should do better.
It's at the heart of the Niger-delta.
Uduaghan should leverage on it.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 11:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
solomon111: Delta state should do better.
It's at the heart of the Niger-delta.
Uduaghan should leverage on it.

At least things are moving in the right direction. Remember delta state lost 70% of the oil servicing companies in the Warri crises and the kidnapping saga. Things are slowly beginning to look up again. Also with the Delta beyond oil agenda, I will not be surprised, if revenue for 2013 hit N100B
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by solomon111(m): 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
bloggernaija:

What an you see in Lagos and rivers state?

I will tell you,

THE ONLY VIABLE STATES WITHOUT OIL ,THAT IS.
The states that should be viable without oil are the states without oil.
The ND states are probably the only truely viable and self-sufficient states as they're already tapping from and developing their comparative advantage over other states as more oil and gas reserves are discovered.
Even the oil and gas reserves in the ND has been proven to be nearly limitless.
The ND does not depend on any other region for its economic survival.
That's viability.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by sleekdot(m): 11:50pm On Dec 05, 2013
Ogun- 12bn, Oyo- 14bn, Ondo - 10bn.

At least this would put things in perspective

Minus Lagos 3 SW states still made over 10bn in IGR
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 05, 2013

u said it all
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by OmoTier1(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2013
My people, it is obvious that some states contribute very little to the national confers yet take out so much! Imagine my Edo State generates more revenue that Akwa-Ibom state!

Despite the billions Akpabio has received from the national allocation, He has failed woefully to turn the economy of the small state around.

How come Anambra,Abia, Jigawa and co generates peanuts? If these states are not economically viable to generate enough revenues to pay their bills, then they should file for bankruptcy and we will merge them with other states!

Even Enugu! Wow...how come he IGR in most Eastern states are so low? With shops all over Anambra, surely, the state should be collecting a minimum of N2Bn every month! If Edo State that used to be called civil servant state has largely turned it around and now generates on average N1.8Bn monthly, then Anambra and Enugu can do likewise.

Another picture from the IGR is the toll boko haram evil has taken on the revenues of Yobe State.

On a positive note, one could see a trend of improved revenues from most of the states especially those in South West, however, it would have been better if these improved revenue reflects in the people and society by way of new roads, schools, hospital, etc.

Abia has no IGR data, Oji has finished the people of Abia cheesy
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 12:20am On Dec 06, 2013
Omo_Tier1: My people, it is obvious that some states contribute very little to the national confers yet take out so much! Imagine my Edo State generates more revenue that Akwa-Ibom state!

Despite the billions Akpabio has received from the national allocation, He has failed woefully to turn the economy of the small state around.

How come Anambra,Abia, Jigawa and co generates peanuts? If these states are not economically viable to generate enough revenues to pay their bills, then they should file for bankruptcy and we will merge them with other states!

Even Enugu! Wow...how come he IGR in most Eastern states are so low? With shops all over Anambra, surely, the state should be collecting a minimum of N2Bn every month! If Edo State that used to be called civil servant state has largely turned it around and now generates on average N1.8Bn monthly, then Anambra and Enugu can do likewise.

Another picture from the IGR is the toll boko haram evil has taken on the revenues of Yobe State.

On a positive note, one could see a trend of improved revenues from most of the states especially those in South West, however, it would have been better if these improved revenue reflects in the people and society by way of new roads, schools, hospital, etc.

Abia has no IGR data, Oji has finished the people of Abia cheesy

Dude, that was a great spin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by OmoTier1(m): 12:25am On Dec 06, 2013
atlwireles:

Dude, that was a great spin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Great spin at what? Or are the figures in the link you posted not a true reflection of what I said?
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 12:32am On Dec 06, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Great spin at what? Or are the figures in the link you posted not a true reflection of what I said?

On a positive note, one could see a trend of improved revenues from most of the states especially those in South West,

The most improved states are clearly not the southwest but the southsouth. With Edo and delta almost doubling their IGRs between 2010-2012.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by OmoTier1(m): 12:39am On Dec 06, 2013
atlwireles:

On a positive note, one could see a trend of improved revenues from most of the states especially those in South West,

The most improved states are clearly not the southwest but the southsouth. With Edo and delta almost doubling their IGRs between 2010-2012.
I really do not have time to flog a sea horse. The numbers are there for all to see and by looking at the states in each regions ith improved resources, you can tell which region has improved the most.

My Edo state has improved, yes, but in South South, states like Akwa Ibom is contributing zero to the national coffers considering her potentials.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 12:57am On Dec 06, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I really do not have time to flog a sea horse. The numbers are there for all to see and by looking at the states in each regions ith improved resources, you can tell which region has improved the most.

My Edo state has improved, yes, but in South South, states like Akwa Ibom is contributing zero to the national coffers considering her potentials.

I don't understand what you mean by Akwa Ibom contributing zero to the national coffers.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by sammy329(m): 2:06am On Dec 06, 2013
SS states figures are very impressive but kano is an empty state
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by sammy329(m): 2:10am On Dec 06, 2013
so ebonyi has the highest igr in SE
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by talktimi(m): 3:41am On Dec 06, 2013
Lagos & Rivers have always been amongst the states that can survive without federal allocation, Delta is operating below potential in my opinion since i know they can do much much better along with Anambra & Abia states who should be among the top 5 in igr in Nigeria considering the commercial nature of those states. But i want to ask why the Rivers state govt sank billions of naira into a monorail project that wont be completed in the next ten administrations and yet wants to take a loan to provide potable water for its populace at the tail end of its administration. I think there should have been an order of priority in project financing.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by kmariko: 4:33am On Dec 06, 2013
@ Op thanks very much for the post --- goes to butteress the fact that Ebonyi is the richest state in the East. As their economy improves through a combination of good leadership, education and their natural resource one can easily envisage a reverse migration from other parts of the East.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by atlwireles: 3:26pm On Dec 06, 2013
kmariko: @ Op thanks very much for the post --- goes to butteress the fact that Ebonyi is the richest state in the East. As their economy improves through a combination of good leadership, education and their natural resource one can easily envisage a reverse migration from other parts of the East.

Not only Ebonyi, I was also suprised with Enugu numbers.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by kel4soft: 5:12pm On Dec 06, 2013

Have you seen Rivers State Government schools?
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by OmoTier1(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
atlwireles:

I don't understand what you mean by Akwa Ibom contributing zero to the national coffers.
Do you know how much Akwa-Ibom collects from the national coffers every month? Where do you think much of that money comes from? Oil, tax receipts of all sorts, and PAYE taxes.

It is obvious that the low IGR shows there is virtually no economic activity, and much of the income comes from civil servant taxes, oil comapnies royalties and no much from SMEs.
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
sammy329: so ebonyi has the highest igr in SE

grin grin grin
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by PointB: 8:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
Low IGR does not necessarily imply low economics activities, it might however reflect the lack of propensity of the state to tax the people. If a state gets more than enough to satisfy the needs of its people why must it tax them to death?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Delta Lead Others In Internally Generated Revenue, IGR by wesley80(m): 8:36pm On Dec 06, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Do you know how much Akwa-Ibom collects from the national coffers every month? Where do you think much of that money comes from? Oil, tax receipts of all sorts, and PAYE taxes.

It is obvious that the low IGR shows there is virtually no economic activity, and much of the income comes from civil servant taxes, oil comapnies royalties and no much from SMEs.
Regardless of that fact, you should NEVER say they contribute zero to the national coffers. The state pumps enough Oil to more than sustain itself and thats worth more than the total of what those states you're praise-singing contribute to the nations treasury.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Withdrawal Of Security Aids: Tambuwal Withdraws Suit Against IGP / 2015 Polls: We’re Ready For War —APC / Breaking: Otti Blocked From Campaigning In Aba.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.