Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:05 PM

Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures (45812 Views)

Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / How Is Nelson Mandela An Africa Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by mukina2: 11:30pm On Dec 05, 2013
1918: Rolihlahla Dalibhunga Mandela is born in the village of Mvezo, in the Transkei on 18 July. His father, a member of the Thembu clan, has three other wives in addition to Rolihlahla’s mother, and 12 other sons and daughters.

Mandela in a class photograph from the late 1930s

Mandela, center right, sings with supporters and the accused during the first treason trial outside the Drill Hall in Johannesburg, in 1956. Mandela and his co-accused were acquitted after a four-and-a-half-year trial

Nelson Mandela and his then-wife Winnie at their wedding in 1957. This copy was taken from the family album the original was by Alf Khumalo

Mandela in traditional costume in the early 1960s

Mandela speaks at a conference in 1960

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nelson-mandela-death-his-life-in-pictures-2197088.html

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by mukina2: 11:34pm On Dec 05, 2013
Then-ANC leader Mandela in January 1961

Mandela with his wife Winnie in 1962

Cleaning the 'Free Mandela' signs from King's College Chapel Cambridge

African women demonstrate in front of the Law Courts in Pretoria after the verdict of the Rivonia trial

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat is pictured meeting with Mandela in Gaza City in October 1988

Mandela on his release from prison in February 1990

9 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by mukina2: 11:37pm On Dec 05, 2013
A jubilant Sowetan holds up in Soweto a newspaper announcing the release of Mandela on 11 February 1990

Mandela and wife Winnie after his release from Victor Verster prison in February 1990

Mandela and his wife Winnie play with their grandchild Bambata at their Soweto home in 1990

Mandela in the States in June 1990

Mandela shakes hands with Margaret Thatcher in July 1990

President of the South African National Congress, Mandela addresses a crowd of residents from the Phola park squatter camp during his tour of townships in September 1990

Mandela salutes the crowd alongside Fidel Castro in Matanzas in July 1991
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by mukina2: 11:41pm On Dec 05, 2013
Zinzi Mandela, wearing Xhosa traditional outfit, and her father Nelson in October 1992

Manchester United Manager Alex Ferguson meets Mandela during their tour to South Africa in June 1993

Mandela listens to a little boy at a training farm in Boskop where he is campaigning for the South African presidency in 1994

ANC youths wait for Mandela atop a billboard in a township outside Durban prior to an election rally in 1994

Mandela jokingly poses with a spear presented to him at an election rally at Mngqesha, the former 'Great Place' of a famous Xosha king, on in April 1994

President Mandela shakes hands with his two deputies Thabo Mbeki and former president Frederik de Klerk, after the inaugural sitting of South Africa's first all-race parliament in Cape Town in May 1994

Mandela visits his former cell in notorious Robben Island prison off the coast of Cape Town, where he spent 19 of his 27 years in jail

Mandela congratulates Springboks' skipper Francois Pienaar after handing him the Webb-Ellis trophy at Ellis Park in Johannesburg after his team beat New Zealand 15-12 in overtime in the 1995 rugby World Cup final

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by mukina2: 11:47pm On Dec 05, 2013
President Mandela greets Queen Elizabeth II on her official arrival at Cape Town's Waterfront in 1995

Mandela hugs the reigning Miss South Africa Barnelee Daniels after a lunch at his residence in Johannesburg

Celebrities' man: Michael Jackson hugs Mandela in Pretoria in July 1996

David Beckham awards former Mandela his own England jersey ahead of an international friendly match against South Africa in May 2003

Mandela pays a personal tribute to two prominent anti-apartheid activists at their former home in Lime Street in London by unveiling a plaque in their honour in July 2003

Oscar-winning acress Charlize Theron wipes away tears as she meets now-former president Mandela at Mandela House

Nelson Mandela greets the crowd at the closing ceremony of the 15th International AIDS conference in Bangkok, Thailand

Mandela and Sir Bob Geldof are applauded by the crowd before making a speech endorsing the 'Make Poverty History' campaign in Trafalgar Square in 2005

Mandela, seen on giant screens, speaks during 'Live 8 Rome' at the Circus Maximus in July 2005

Tony Blair meets Mandela in May 2007. Mr Blair is on a five-day visit to meet African leaders as he prepares to stand down as PM
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by mukina2: 11:52pm On Dec 05, 2013
Bill Clinton embraces Mandela during a visit to the Nelson Mandela Foundation

Mandela poses with South Africa rugby coach Jake White, captain John Smit and the Webb-Ellis cup

Mandela and his wife Graca Machel on stage during the 46664 Concert celebrating his life in Hyde Park on 27 June 2008

Mandela with South Africa's national rugby and football teams

Mandela and his wife Graca Machel share a laugh as he's wrapped up in a blanket, a gift received from his staff in honour his 90th birthday

Mandela smiles during the celebrations for the opening of the new One&Only Cape Town resort in April 2009 in Cape Town

Mandela, aged 90, walks on stage for an election campaign rally in April 2009

Mandela and his wife Graca Machel before the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final match between The Netherlands and Spain in Johannesburg on July 11 2010

In this image from13 September 2011 former president Nelson Mandela's face is reflected in a mirror. The portrait has been bought by a private art collector in New York, for $200,000, the highest price ever paid for a local portrait

Former South African President Nelson Mandela is pictured during a visit by former US president on 17 July 2012 at his home in Qunu, Eastern Cape, on the eve of his 94th birthday

25 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Coldfeet(f): 12:10am On Dec 06, 2013
Awesome!
Amandla!!
Ngawethu!!!

Sad that Grata is now a two time widow.
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Hackerjay(m): 12:10am On Dec 06, 2013
Akogun loooo...RIP

R=return
I=if
P=possible

11 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Haderoncare(f): 12:10am On Dec 06, 2013
R. I. P. To The great man
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Suzie0(f): 12:10am On Dec 06, 2013
What a great loss. May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace. Amen ....Me, Hackerjay, Haderoncare and Coldfeet wow! Our comments came right at thesame time. Viewing this topic...O boiy see crowd!

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Lilnizzy(m): 12:10am On Dec 06, 2013
Wat a gr8 loss! He came he saw and he conquered. R.i.p legend!

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Adex097: 12:12am On Dec 06, 2013
na Madiba tory go dey hit FP for the next 7days or more starting from today

*Runs away from Fed Rep OF NL (FP) *

RIP madiba -_-

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by damoskiy(m): 12:12am On Dec 06, 2013
Can we please stop duplicating this threads about Mandela...we could have just put everything together...RIP to the dead...
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Hackerjay(m): 12:12am On Dec 06, 2013
Eni rere loooo..

the hero has gone...

we shall meet at the feet of jesus
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by usecondom(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2013
Great man R.I.P
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Davo93(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2013
Nelson Mandela will definately be missed by many who understand the essence of freedom. Tata Madiba, the first son of Africa, you came, you saw and you conquered. We Nigerians will miss you! Africa will miss you!! The world generally will miss you too!!!

By the way, let us hope ASUU does not mourn Nelson Mandela for another 7 days before they start claiming Mandela once fought with them...

#RIPNelsonMandela #IfearASUU

12 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by andyolo(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2013
RIP, African ICON
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by dahmie2013: 12:15am On Dec 06, 2013
cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Nobody: 12:16am On Dec 06, 2013
A rare gem is gone. We will miss u Nelson Mandela # go2sleep
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by EyesWideOpen(m): 12:18am On Dec 06, 2013
cry
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:18am On Dec 06, 2013
mukina2 baby, this is so nice.
I ll manage you as my 6th wife. Thumbs up.
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Horus(m): 12:18am On Dec 06, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by bamibola(m): 12:19am On Dec 06, 2013
Heaven welcomes an Angel....May your soul rest in perfect peace as you leave this imperfect world filled with hatered. The great Madiba

6 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by HezronLorraine(m): 12:19am On Dec 06, 2013
Mukina,you had to lock the thread first to finish posting before opening it for comments.Why not post first before moving it to frontpage.
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:20am On Dec 06, 2013
Now my official tribute to Nelson Rolihlaha Mandela
RIP Nelson Mandela. The greatest man of our time.
I Thief (Chief) Mrs. Engr. Insp. Sup. Barr. Dr. Apostle. Pastor. Evang. Imam. Oloye. Olu-Awo. Prof. Emeritus. Okiki_Oluwa hereby commiserate with the family of Mandela Nelson Madiba. He is the giratest hiro of awa taim. He yas tosh meni laifs posithiefly. He is a sefless faita who fort for the pipu of Saut-Afrika. No amaunt of alcohol can intoxicate me to spit out how taching & emoshional ayam today. I v bin craying since I land about the deth of awa greatest hiro of modan day. I re-meba he was a grate actoress, mushichian & a footbolar cos he supported sport & the entatament industry.
One thing ayaf land from Madiba's laif is that we should learn to live awa laifs for others. That's why he spent 27 years gbáko inside túbú (cell).
I know God compensated him by enlogating his laif.
It's just a girate piti that Mandela iyaf dead. He has gone too soon.

Last Bullet:
All that I v written came from the pot of my heart. I m not drunk!
I m happy that Mandela is dead & has gone to rest.

RIP Nelson Rolihlaha Mandela.
Your manhood ll continue to live forever just like Odumegwu Ojukwu's manhood to Dame Patience Jonathan.
Gone too soon

9 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by skyface00(m): 12:20am On Dec 06, 2013
He touches all lives,I see why he was celebrated by all..RIP
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 06, 2013
wow..
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by vetababy(f): 12:22am On Dec 06, 2013
RIP MANDELA God rest your soul
Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Horus(m): 12:23am On Dec 06, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by Edygrin(m): 12:24am On Dec 06, 2013
I celebrate, not mourn, the powerful, inspiring and wonderful life of former South African president Nelson Mandela , may he rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by AnE1(f): 12:25am On Dec 06, 2013
Wow! Memories of a great leader. I doubt if we wud ever get a selfless leader like mandela. God rest ur soul.

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela's Life In Pictures by tattesco(m): 12:27am On Dec 06, 2013
Rip nelson mandela. A rare gem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Minister Outraged At Saharareporters And Nigeria (pics) - Cramjones / Ayman Nofal, Chief Of Hamas Military Brigade Killed In Israeli Airstrike In Gaza / King Of England To Be Known As King Charles III

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.