Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,208 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days (5944 Views)

I Will Be A Christian Apologist For Some Hours/days / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Be An Atheist For Twelve Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready:

Bros you have been giving me pretty straight answers since. Wetin cum happen now?
Lol. On a serious note, the question you are asking cannot happen. It is like asking why stars lay buried in the ground. The problem with it is that stars are not even buried in the ground in the first place.

Bro, I think it would be a logical contradiction on the part of religion and possibly science if science pursues the existence of a christain god.

rapture_ready:

Well according to atheists, "documents" like the bible cannot be accepted as evidence because they do not follow the usual basis of proof - which is logic.
They also argue that direct claims from any "group of people" about having proof of God cannot be verified/corroborated.

I've even had similar arguments with some of the gang in here.
I understand where you are driving the point at, and it is not yet fully in alignment with thd point I am trying to pass across.

You see, my point is that we cannot be searching for a god who has been showned, by its original inventors, to contradict science, by scientific means. I don't know if you are getting me.

Let's say I am a law practitioner who holds the constitution as the blueprint for determining the verdict of a case. You on the otherhand holds that your morality cannot be subjected to any constitutional compass. That it was passed down to you by spirits.
Now if there is an argument on whose idea is correct among the two of us, it wouldn't be rational if you accuse me of not interpreting the constitution in favour of you. You cannot accuse me that my means of interpretation is inadequate because the basis of your morality has already identified mine as flawed, to begin with.

rapture_ready:

I humbly beg to differ.

Whatever "evidence" any group of people have proffered based on "this limited perception, observational techniques and experimental technologies" have always been laughed off for the same reasons I mentioned above.

So there is no real way of "deducing if he exists is by looking into the claim presented by these group of humans"

I mean what if somebody told you he/she died and saw Jesus and heaven, is there any scientific way to "look into" that claim?

My assumption is correct.
Now what you are asking is completely different from your initial poser. I think this is the true question deserving of an answer.

There are many reasons why I would compare this to an idiopathic medical condition where the patient is lifted from consciousness into his subconscious and probably into the unconscious.

I have heard similar stories from buddhist,remember their explanation of how a sinner serves his Karma via reincarnation; hindus, muslims etc.

They cannot be all true at the same time. I also believe they are not lying about what they saw. I'm only sure that they cannot all be true. That will result in a great contradiction of gigantuan proportion.

rapture_ready:

So you admit that God cannot (yet) be proved/disproved using existing technology.
Don't add 'yet'. I mean he cannot be prooved by scientific means if it is true.
It is illogical for anything to be prooved by the very means it really cannot be proved. But we can disprove it by proofing it with the very means it cannot be proved.

In this case we have disprooved it by the mere principle of non-contradiction.
rapture_ready:

Why then do atheists go about claiming he does not exist as if they have proof?
I think it is normal if we do so. There is no evidence. Very simple.

rapture_ready:

Answer my original question.
I already explained why it is not a question.
rapture_ready:

Is it not possible that God very well exists, just that our scientific tools and human perception are limited and cannot find him yet?
God, if he exists as the christain god, cannot be discovered in the real by our scientific method.

We can only discover with our scientific methods that we cannot discover him with our scientific methods.

But to those who lay claim to have discovered him we shall we weigh the properties they ascribe to it in relation to his creation.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by raptureready: 9:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
Kay 17:

Beautiful! Just one day in the shoes of an atheist and you read his mind well!

Bullshit rey, they are just complimenting you, so you go join them...
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
Kay 17:

Beautiful! Just one day in the shoes of an atheist and you read his mind well!
Lol. I don't know if to say thank you now. And logicboy was making me feel I am not trying.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready:

Bullshit rey, they are just complimenting you, so you go join them...
Lol. I don't think so. Kay is smarter than that.
But on a serious note if I can join them because of their compliments then I wasn't with God in the first place.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by ManhunterTM(m): 10:12pm On Dec 07, 2013
As an atheist, you have no true purpose in life as you are just a random occurrence. What gives you the drive to keep on living this meaningless life?
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by raptureready: 10:40pm On Dec 07, 2013
Reyginus:
Don't add 'yet'. I mean he cannot be prooved by scientific means if it is true.
It is illogical for anything to be prooved by the very means it really cannot be proved.

God, if he exists as the christain god, cannot be discovered in the real by our scientific method.

We can only discover with our scientific methods that we cannot discover him with our scientific methods.

You make some really solid and valid points.

Then you go ahead and contradict yourself.

rapture_ready:
Why then do atheists go about
claiming he does not exist as if
they have proof?
Reyginus:
I think it is normal if we do so. There is no evidence. Very simple.

If God cannot be proved by any scientific means or method, why then do you guys ask for evidence/proof?

Let me rephrase that other question for you

If God cannot as you say be proved by any scientific means or method, does that then mean God cannot and does not exist?
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by truthislight: 10:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
Reyginus: Guys, I am going to represent atheism for some hours/days. I'd like you to throw in any question which you feel our resident atheists have failed to deal with. Or concepts of the theism which you believe destroys atheism completely.
Theists, atheists, pantheists, deists, panentheists, fideists, etc., are invited.

This section must be lively again.

Hehehehe. grin

smh.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by truthislight: 11:18pm On Dec 07, 2013
lomomike: This is how they start and next thing we know is devil takes total control of their lives and gradually causes them to slip from their spiritual stronghold next thing we hear they get frustrated with everything about life and die like one frustrated bush fowl. cheesy undecided

lol. You seem to forget he is a 'catholic'. If you know what i mean.

Find out. majority of the atheist have same foundation.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by truthislight: 11:25pm On Dec 07, 2013
aManFromMars:
What truth were you in search of? How did you come to the realization that you had been living a lie? How could that which you once held dearly lose its value to you?

I'm sure what you did was lose focus on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, not theirs but ours. You lost focus and didn't take heed to Paul's admonishment to us in Hebrews 12:1-2

“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

You summarize too quickly my dear. In the Book of Genesis, the Lord gave man dominion over all his created things. Man even had the privilege of naming the animals. Did that make man God? Was it Adam that created those animals?

Science is a means of observation of that which has been created by God. Man is able to create because God has imbued in us his creative mind, a mind for excellence and wisdom. Science should lead you the creator, not away from him.

God has nothing to prove to you dear. He owes you no such obligation. Deal with that.

phew!!! almost got re-converted. grin grin grin

Hehehehe. grin

Actually, i dont know why am laughing.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by texanomaly(f): 11:29pm On Dec 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Pre-marital s€x. Hi smiley

Lolz...ok cuz PMS means something totally different here.

Hi there. smiley
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by MrTroll(m): 11:31pm On Dec 07, 2013
little strawmen style arguments. LB, keep pulling him down wink

you de try though....

on a serious note though, God/Gods cannot be proven to exist. you cannot tell me to disprove what you have not even proven. that's like asking me to prove that there's not an invisible flying teapot behind the planet Jupiter. what most atheists argue against though is religions notions of god/gods which have been shown to be contradictory and therefore cannot exist. its simple really; Yahweh does not exist because the bible, which describes him is full of s.hit and cannot be taken seriously. maybe there's a supreme being somewhere, but so far there's no proof of its existence so I can't live my life on a fantastic assumption without proof. tongue
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by MrTroll(m): 11:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
texanomaly:

Hi there. smiley

grin grin grin
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by vickyO(f): 11:37pm On Dec 07, 2013
texanomaly:

Hi there. smiley

Premenstrual Syndrome
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by MrTroll(m): 11:46pm On Dec 07, 2013
vickyO:
Premenstrual Syndrome
Premium Motor Spirit smiley
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by vickyO(f): 11:58pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mr Troll: Premium Motor Spirit smiley
smiley

Can Pre Mental Symptom work??
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by texanomaly(f): 12:03am On Dec 08, 2013
vickyO:
smiley

More like Post Mental Symptoms some days in NL.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by MrTroll(m): 12:06am On Dec 08, 2013
vickyO:
smiley

undecided
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by vickyO(f): 12:14am On Dec 08, 2013
Mr Troll: undecided
undecided
texanomaly:
More like Post Mental Symptoms some days in NL.

Yeah... smiley
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by UyiIredia(m): 7:31am On Dec 08, 2013
texanomaly:

Hi there. smiley

Post-Menstrual Syndrome: I usually forget, I'm aatimes to lazy to write what I mean.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 08, 2013
Manhunter™:
As an atheist, you have no true purpose in life as you are just a random occurrence. What gives you the drive to keep on living this meaningless life?
I think it is even a wrong assumption to conclude that because one does not subscribe to a theist god, his life is meaningless. I believe that If I can show you why it is not meaningless the motivation driving me to achieve it would be clearly palpable.

If we can live a life full of purpose we've succeeded in given our life a purpose. These purposes if they must be, should be geered towards the eradication of evil by exercising goodness. I try to exercise goodness where there is none.

As an atheist, this is what I try to achieve every day of my life. This is what drives me to live.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 08, 2013
Reyginus: I think it is even a wrong assumption to conclude that because one does not subscribe to a theist god, his life is meaningless. I believe that If I can show you why it is not meaningless the motivation driving me to achieve it would be clearly palpable.

If we can live a life full of purpose we've succeeded in given our life a purpose. These purposes if they must be, should be geered towards the eradication of evil by exercising goodness. I try to exercise goodness where there is none.

As an atheist, this is what I try to achieve every day of my life. This is what drives me to live.

Nonsense again.....

A simple answer would be to say that life is what you make it.

If you want it purposeless, your choice
If you want it to have purpose, your choice

No one knows the meaning of life. We give it meaning

1 Like

Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 08, 2013
rapture_ready:
If God cannot be proved by any scientific means or method, why then do you guys ask for evidence/proof?
A proof must not necessarily be scientific to be true. Science is only a method of inquiry out of the so many in practice.
In some case, he asks for proof based on the new subject matter, which is not scientific but must be necessarily logical, the theist is willing to establish.
For example if I tell you that there is a colony of the Flying Spaghetti Monster beneath the ground. You know, with certainty, that I cannot survive the conditions beneath the ground, talk more staying long to observe.
As the reasonable young man that you are, you asked if I have evidence but I told you that the evidence is first, in believing that it is true and it was written somewhere in history. From this point, I don't think you will take me serious any longer.
Because I cannot claim to have an evidence that is lacking and you, on your part, cannot afford to accept anything without evidence. You, on the account of your open-mindedness, can only tell me to come up with something better

An atheist may ask for proof when the theist tries to force a condition contrary to natural laws, which has been properly established, on him. For instance, when you say that Elisha flew to heaven on a golden horse even when we know that is naturally impossible in this universe.
rapture_ready:

Let me rephrase that other question for you

If God cannot as you say be proved by any scientific means or method, does that then mean God cannot and does not exist?
I must confess, this question is a trap if I neglect what it is also neglecting. Like some other questions you've asked, this question assumes that there is no 'evidence' presented for the existence of god. It should have have been, since the 'evidence' presented cannot be prooved by either scientific nor logical means does it mean that god doesn't exist? The answer is YES.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 08, 2013
truthislight:

Hehehehe. grin

smh.
Any wahala?
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 08, 2013
truthislight:

lol. You seem to forget he is a 'catholic'. If you know what i mean.

Find out. majority of the atheist have same foundation.
Lol. Smh.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nonsense again.....

Shut up!!! Ode!!! PhD. You are the reason people mock 'our' atheism here. No vex me o!
You failed to realize that the question is why your life is not meaningless without god and you are telling me that even a purposeless life is not meaningless. grin.

What you make of life doesn't make it meaningful. There is always a probability of half in the statement resulting in fence-sitting.

It is like saying that my life is not meaningless without god, because it can be meaningless and meaningful without god.

I'm an atheist now, I can curse o! grin
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by thehomer: 10:23am On Dec 08, 2013
Reyginus: Guys, I am going to represent atheism for some hours/days. I'd like you to throw in any question which you feel our resident atheists have failed to deal with. Or concepts of the theism which you believe destroys atheism completely.
Theists, atheists, pantheists, deists, panentheists, fideists, etc., are invited.

This section must be lively again.

What would you say a God is?
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 08, 2013
Reyginus: Shut up!!! Ode!!! PhD. You are the reason people mock 'our' atheism here. No vex me o!
You failed to realize that the question is why your life is not meaningless without god and you are telling me that even a purposeless life is not meaningless. grin.

What you make of life doesn't make it meaningful. There is always a probability of half in the statement resulting in fence-sitting.

It is like saying that my life is not meaningless without god, because it can be meaningless and meaningful without god.

I'm an atheist now, I can curse o! grin

That didnt make sense
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 08, 2013
thehomer:

What would you say a God is?
The pivot of the loftiest of delusions exhibited by modern man. A mental construct permeated unknowingly as a placebo by the religious mind.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

That didnt make sense
Counter my last post if you think it doesn't make sense.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by texanomaly(f): 10:50am On Dec 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nonsense again.....

ok wait ...I forget he's not an Atheist really, sometimes on this thread.

1 Like

Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by advocate666: 10:54am On Dec 08, 2013
Reyginus IQ as a christian : 48
Reyginus IQ as an atheist : 92

Guy you almost doubled your IQ just by pretending. Please don't go back.
Re: I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days by thehomer: 10:56am On Dec 08, 2013
Reyginus: The pivot of the loftiest of delusions exhibited by modern man. A mental construct permeated unknowingly as a placebo by the religious mind.

So God is a delusion, a mental construct. Good. How about the Holy Spirit? Is it also God?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Where Is KingEbukasblog? / Fertility Expert: 'I Can Clone A Human Being' / Salt : Using It To Neutralise Negativity Spiritually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.