Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela (2252 Views)

Tyson Fury Defeats Wladimir Klitschko / South Africa Vs Nigeria: Nelson Mandela Challenge - (0 - 2) - Full Time / Tiger Woods Reclaims World No.1 Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:29am On Dec 07, 2013
Sport’s greatest icons have paid their own tributes to South Africa’s first black president Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.

Former world heavy weight boxing champion Muhammad Ali said, “His was a life filled with purpose and hope – hope for himself,

his country and the world.

“He made us realise we are our brother’s keeper and that our brothers come in all colours.

“What I will remember most about Mr Mandela is that he was a man whose heart, soul and spirit could not be contained or restrained by

racial and economic injustices, metal bars or the burden of hate and revenge.

“He inspired others to reach for what appeared to be impossible and moved them to break through the barriers that held them hostage

mentally, physically, socially and economically.

“He taught us forgiveness on a grand scale. His was a spirit born free, destined to soar above the rainbows. Today his spirit is soaring

through the heavens. He is now forever free.”

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:35am On Dec 07, 2013
Pele said Mandela was “one of the most influential people in my life. He was my hero, my friend”.

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:36am On Dec 07, 2013
Tiger Woods, the world’s number one golfer and a 14-time major winner, said, “You will always be in my heart Mr Mandela.”

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:36am On Dec 07, 2013
Former England captain David Beckham said, “My heart goes out to the people in South Africa and Mr Mandela’s family. We have lost a true gentleman and a courageous human being.
“It was truly an honour to have known a man who had genuine love for so many people. Rest in peace.”

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:37am On Dec 07, 2013
FIFA President Sepp Blatter said, “It is in deep mourning that I pay my respects to an extraordinary person.

“He was probably one of the greatest humanists of our time.”

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:37am On Dec 07, 2013
Cristiano Ronaldo tweeted his respects with a picture of himself and Mandela. “Thankful Madiba for your legacy and your example. You”ll always stay with us”

3 Likes

Tennis star Serena Williams tweeted, “Nelson Mandela led one of the most impactful lives of our time. One life – Nelson Mandela’s life changed many. May his legacy live forever.”

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 3:41am On Dec 07, 2013
Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson tweeted, “Nelson Mandela was the embodiment of discipline, courage, love and forgiveness.”

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by emmanuelson20: 4:10am On Dec 07, 2013
What an impact he made to the World!

3 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by Cooldude001: 4:24am On Dec 07, 2013
No One Like You!

3 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 5:14am On Dec 07, 2013
Madiba is now free!

3 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by Cooldude001: 5:20am On Dec 07, 2013
A true legend!

3 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by emmanuelson20: 12:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
There will be only one Madiba. The Great One!

3 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by forumcitizens: 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
A Legend Of Our Era!

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by naijasofamerica(f): 8:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
We miss you.

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Mike Tyson & Others Salutes Mandela by emmabest2000(m): 9:18am On Dec 10, 2013
R I P Great Father

(1) (Reply)

Guardiola Resigns As Manager Of Manchester City / Lets Help You Fund Your Sports Account With Airtime / Screen Shot I Played Arsenal 1st Half Draw But Met Lost On My Ticket On Bet9ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.